Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FreeKillB
May 13, 2009

Node posted:

Speaking of Jesters, what is the standard way of using them? I don't like them because I don't really get them. You can have them sit in position 3, sing songs or hack with his sickle, or you can have him have a position changer + finale. What skill setup works well with a Jester, and in what type of dungeon?

He's pretty good for bleed damage in lower-level warrens dungeons, because of those high-prot hook pigs who have low hp totals. Bleed damage is also okay in the weald, although it'll kill things slowly without the rest of the party picking up the slack. I've like jesters start in position 2 with a skillset based on jumping around: bleed for the early fight followed a dirk stab to advance, followed by finale and maybe some stress healing afterwards. Haven't used him too much in champion dungeons, I've heard he's good for mitigating the stress aspects of one or two aboms.

e: I'm still okay with leveling dudes up since I'm not tired of the core gameplay yet. I let things get a little spicy in lower-level dungeons by running fairly-low light (after scouting out the secret room), not worrying too much about optimizing my team, and by fighting the occasional shambler. It really doesn't take all that many runs to have some new fresh level 6s as long as you try to maintain having as varied a level distribution as feasible.

FreeKillB fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Feb 9, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Internet Kraken posted:

I wonder why the Collector's skull is always trying to ram it way out of his cage hat.
i have some doubts about that guy and his cage skull. it might not even be his, at least not originally.

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

I dont know how you cleared all the bosses and got into the position youre in where you some how dont have multiple parties of lvl 6 dudes who can go into the last dungeons, but you can solve your problem with notepad and five minutes.
The "wont go back again" and "lose some one on failure" are things they arent likely to remove.

Kly fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Feb 9, 2016

IAmUnaware
Jan 31, 2012

Captain Invictus posted:

Speaking of, is Baertaffy the one who also does the insane FTL runs where he never pauses for any reason, does everything realtime? There was an amazing streamer who did that, I watched one run where he got terrible luck with the worst ship(one of the Slug alts iirc) and still beat it somehow. Dude was a miracle worker with FTL. Had a voice like Baer's too I think.

You might be thinking of Lethalfrag. He sometimes does nights of no-pause FTL and he is certainly extremely good at the game.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
I'll be honest: I think the Jester is a waste of a slot unless you desperately need his stress healing, and you probably wouldn't if you replaced him with a better character. Solo spam is funny but just doesn't cut the mustard on Champion, Man-at-Arms has better buffs and is much bulkier and easier to use (plus he has a stun and a guard), Finale is a gimmick (it is almost guaranteed to crit, but it's not worth the tradeoffs and setup), and his damage skills are bad. Yeah he can bleed, but there are other bleed sources that do more damage or provide more utility. His camp buffs are good against stress, but again, bringing a character who isn't a Jester along helps you not acquire that stress in the first place.

I've tried to make him work and every time I've brought him along I've regretted not bringing somebody with better damage or a heal/stun. If I'm going to use a DoT-focused character who has terrible direct damage the Plague Doctor is a hell of a lot more appealing. If I want to bleed somebody a Houndmaster brings greater utility (and he can heal stress too). Highwaymen and Grave Robbers have a really good stress reducer in Gallows Humor that usually works out for the best.

There are probably some compositions where Jesters shine but it'd take a very convincing argument for me to buy that it's actually superior to a simpler damage-and-stun kind of group. The best I came up with is a Grave Robber Lunge group and I think a Man-at-Arms still ends up better there.

Kly posted:

I dont know how you cleared all the bosses and got into the position youre in where you some how dont have multiple parties of lvl 6 dudes who can go into the last dungeons, but you can solve your problem with notepad and five minutes.
The "wont go back again" and "lose some one on failure" are things they arent likely to remove.
I don't really care if guys won't go back, I actually kind of like that mechanic since it prevents just pressing one super party through. And I don't mind the risk of loss. The thing is the loss of time is more annoying than it is punitive, compared to the loss of Quirk grooming and gold investment that a proper lv6 represents. It's a game about risk mitigation where the risk keeps increasing but the steps available to mitigate narrow. I'm OK with that as long as it's not wasting my time. So I can see his point and he's kind of right that it's a bit annoying. It's less so if you have lots of lv6s sitting around, of course, and that's what I did long before I ever set foot in the DD, but through blindness or bad luck I could easily see somebody losing multiple groups of guys in the DD and you're always losing at least one person if you fail. Losing people puts you out on gold and their Quirk spreads; personally, I think that's enough of a punishment.

You could just savescum the Darkest Dungeon but I'm operating from the assumption that most people want to play the game by the rules set forth if at all possible.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
WOO WOO WOO, ALL ABOOOOOOOARD THE CRAZY TRAIN!

A horrible dungeon run where no scouting happened, managed to clear the entire dungeon and got to right before the boss room when it finally scouted it to tell me yep, that's the boss room alright! How helpful!

150 stress paranoid plague doctor and crazy man at arms going in, but the necromancer has never been that haOH HE CAN SUMMON GENERALS NOW APPARENTLY

PD died to a double heart attack, and the necro retreated to the back row where my leper and man at arms couldn't reach him, so it was up to my vestral with a crit judgement to take him out, leaving only the two skeletons left to kill my part. Leper crit Hewed the small one out before it could attack, and then the man at arms dodged a crushing blow at death's door, then crit maced the general to finish the fight. Talk about a nailbiter!

IAmUnaware posted:

You might be thinking of Lethalfrag. He sometimes does nights of no-pause FTL and he is certainly extremely good at the game.
Yep, that's him, knew it wasn't Baer.

FreeKillB
May 13, 2009
I'm sort of disappointed that my necromancer lord only summoned two or three bone shieldwalls and no generals. Was pretty boring fare compared to many other champion bosses, I think Swine God and Hag Witch the only ones that went down more easily, maybe the Siren (I even forgot to bring extra holy water to cheese the fight hard).

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

Megasabin posted:

Actually you're wrong. It is not. The end dungeon has enemies and bosses I have not seen, and story I have not experienced. These two characteristics make it desirable to play. I enjoyed the way the game plays immensely while experiencing the content the first time around. Apprentice and Veteran dungeons no longer offer anything exciting that makes me voluntarily want to revisit them. Thus being forced to do so is unappealing, and makes me not excited to play this game I was previously enjoying. This may very well be with the creators intended, a la the opening screen, but I personally do not find this game design approach clever. You can find a way to make a game challenging and full of risk without the punishment of tedium.

The only things you have to risk are heroes and trinkets. What sort of risk can be applied to keep a level of tension if you take losing heroes off the table? What is the mechanic for the darkest dungeon that keeps it different and riskier than the other areas, while still fitting the theme and general mechanics?

Basically going to the darkest dungeon you're risking 1 hero on you being able to beat the dungeon. With a roster of 25 guys you can take 3 attempts at every leg of the dungeon and have a spare guy at the end. Once you lose 1 person you can start alternating attempts with power-leveling replacements if you expect to just fail all the time (bonus xp on loss in DD). If you have the +xp trinket and anyone who has beaten a leg of the dungeon you're getting gently caress-tons of xp. Honestly you're more likely to feel a pinch in the trinket or quirk department before you should manage to burn your whole roster to the ground.

On jesters, the only party where I've really liked him is in an abom party to let that guy transform every fight (say occ-jest-abom-hell). I haven't messed much with running a hound-man in slot #3 who spends a lot of time stress healing, but if that can keep up with constant transformation stress it is probably better. A party like that lets you take another +dmg trinket instead of the -stress padlock on your abom, and having him hulk out all the time makes things go a lot smoother.

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

Nakar posted:

I could easily see somebody losing multiple groups of guys in the DD and you're always losing at least one person if you fail.

If youre losing entire groups of guys in a DD run multiple times the game is doing you a favor by having you run the lower level dungeons for an hour.

ZeroCount
Aug 12, 2013

Nakar posted:

I'll be honest: I think the Jester is a waste of a slot unless you desperately need his stress healing, and you probably wouldn't if you replaced him with a better character. Solo spam is funny but just doesn't cut the mustard on Champion, Man-at-Arms has better buffs and is much bulkier and easier to use (plus he has a stun and a guard), Finale is a gimmick (it is almost guaranteed to crit, but it's not worth the tradeoffs and setup), and his damage skills are bad. Yeah he can bleed, but there are other bleed sources that do more damage or provide more utility. His camp buffs are good against stress, but again, bringing a character who isn't a Jester along helps you not acquire that stress in the first place.

I've tried to make him work and every time I've brought him along I've regretted not bringing somebody with better damage or a heal/stun. If I'm going to use a DoT-focused character who has terrible direct damage the Plague Doctor is a hell of a lot more appealing. If I want to bleed somebody a Houndmaster brings greater utility (and he can heal stress too). Highwaymen and Grave Robbers have a really good stress reducer in Gallows Humor that usually works out for the best.

There are probably some compositions where Jesters shine but it'd take a very convincing argument for me to buy that it's actually superior to a simpler damage-and-stun kind of group. The best I came up with is a Grave Robber Lunge group and I think a Man-at-Arms still ends up better there.

I run a silly group of three Jesters and a single Grave Robber at the back because running a continuous Lunge/Finale train on the enemy party is fun as gently caress. I'm not going to lie and say they're strong but they managed to beat the Veteran Prophet at least.

Afraid of Audio
Oct 12, 2012

by exmarx

Megasabin posted:

Actually you're wrong. It is not. The end dungeon has enemies and bosses I have not seen, and story I have not experienced. These two characteristics make it desirable to play. I enjoyed the way the game plays immensely while experiencing the content the first time around. Apprentice and Veteran dungeons no longer offer anything exciting that makes me voluntarily want to revisit them. Thus being forced to do so is unappealing, and makes me not excited to play this game I was previously enjoying. This may very well be with the creators intended, a la the opening screen, but I personally do not find this game design approach clever. You can find a way to make a game challenging and full of risk without the punishment of tedium.

if it is really that tedious for you to level dudes just go to the darkest dungeon folder>campaign>roster and edit the xp levels in there to lower values

boom your entire roster and anyone you recruit in the future is resolve 6

Deckit
Sep 1, 2012

gently caress the Collector, gently caress the Collector, gently caress THE COLLECTOR. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EjP3e8AIotg Jump to 4:30 for more gently caress the Collector.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
I like the jester in position 3 on dark runs. The stress heals and crit/speed buffs make longer dark runs a lot more sustainable for me. If I get shuffled with the laughing man in front, finale puts him right back where he belongs, and the bleed attack is nice if he simply has nothing better to do (he always has something better to do).

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Deckit posted:

gently caress the Collector, gently caress the Collector, gently caress THE COLLECTOR. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EjP3e8AIotg Jump to 4:30 for more gently caress the Collector.

Your skill is questionable, but I'll be damned if you aren't entertaining in your style. Subscribed.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

Kly posted:

I didn't lose multiple parties. I did have to retreat, and have lost 2 healers in the process, which was half of my healers. The idea of training 2 more back up from level 1 sounds time consuming and boring, especially since I have X-Com sitting around ready to be played. Thank you for the people suggesting about editing the ini files. I do like to play the game by its rules though, and that's sort of cheating which would also remove my will to play.

I do believe you that this is the sort of grind they intended for the end game. I guess it gives you a sense of accomplishment upon completion, but it's not my cup of tea. I'm just gonna watch the final boss on youtube, call it a day, and play X-Com. I got 50 hours from this game, and enjoyed it a ton, so I'm very happy with the experience as a whole.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

the worst part about Hellions is that they can only have 4 skills

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

the worst part about Hellions is that they can only have 4 skills
One person I saw didn't take Wicked Hack just to have Yawp/If It Bleeds/Iron Swan/Adrenaline Rush. Hellions really don't have a single bad skill, even Bleed Out is pretty incredible.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

The only other class that has a great skill in every slot is houndmaster, but they're all for very different situations so you usually only want a specific combo

FreeKillB
May 13, 2009
Honestly, the fact that hellions are rather fragile as far as frontliners go tends to be a bigger problem to me. Usually someone else is handling stuns so I often go without yawp, especially on champion dungeons. I guess I could go without adrenaline rush depending on the situation.

Houndmaster is the character I can never figure out what skills to use, especially if I'm putting him in position 2 for blackjacking. Hound's harry is the only skill I won't take (outside of Flesh fights). The thing is that his role shifts throughout the fight whereas the hellion's role is almost always 'do damage', which needs only 2-3 skills to fill out.

FreeKillB fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Feb 9, 2016

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh

Deckit posted:

This got me thinking, can you snuff the torch at the last moment for better rewards against the collector/other encounters? I know it works for chests, but...

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
It depends on your damage coverage, I think. If you have a stun-the-back, kill-the-front party composition Yawp is kind of extraneous, but in the opposite case - like you have an Arbalest and Occultist or Houndmaster or Grave Robber or something in the back - then stun-the-front, kill-the-back becomes viable. Then where the PD stuns somebody in the front turn two, the Hellion can just attack along with the others.

Yawp's definitely good because of action economy, but it's not necessarily always worth slotting. Arguably the biggest weakness of the Hellion is she needs quite a lot of skills to maintain her attack versatility. Iron Swan being a 100% slot 4 attack is pretty great, but it's also pretty extravagant to have a skill that only hits slot 4.

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

dyzzy posted:

This got me thinking, can you snuff the torch at the last moment for better rewards against the collector/other encounters? I know it works for chests, but...

you cant put out your torch at all in combat

FreeKillB
May 13, 2009
You could try to use the occultist's stun a lot in combat but that would take a while to extinguish a full torch. You'd also run into their anti-stalling measures, though.

e: Or let cultists do their torch-lowering attack a bunch. Not recommended.

Deckit
Sep 1, 2012

Ranter posted:

Your skill is questionable, but I'll be damned if you aren't entertaining in your style. Subscribed.

I make no claims about my skill. I'm meandering through the game. Glad for the feedback, thank you!

dyzzy posted:

I don't think you can snuff torches mid-fight. Maybe if you use occultists abilities to drain the firelight by the end of the fight?

Edit: Beaten on all fronts.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

You used to be able to, but it was pretty clearly super exploitative and it got changed. In general if you keep the light at a medium level you'll get better loot. If you want to be sneaky you can leave all curios unused until the end, drop your torch to 0-25 (depending on if you want to risk shamblers) and backtrack.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

ZypherIM posted:

If you want to be sneaky you can leave all curios unused until the end, drop your torch to 0-25 (depending on if you want to risk shamblers) and backtrack.

Bear in mind you'll want extra food if you do this.

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
Fights do show up in cleared hallways too right? Worth it if you can clear the dungeon in such a commanding fashion I suppose.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
Fights and traps. Watch yourself and your map.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Traps are like little bundles of stress relief :3:

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

Nakar posted:

Fights and traps. Watch yourself and your map.

What happens when a fight appears in a hallway on the map you've previously traversed? Is it just another battle to deter you from backtracking?

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

Node posted:

What happens when a fight appears in a hallway on the map you've previously traversed? Is it just another battle to deter you from backtracking?
More or less, yes. However if it reappears in a traversed hallway it counts as scouted, so at least you can't be surprised by it.

EDIT: It seems to only happen, or is most likely to happen, if you're backtracking unncessarily. If you enter a dead end and turn back after reaching the final room it seems less likely to spawn new traps and battles, although it can. As long as you're roughly moving toward unexplored areas, it won't respawn things. It might if you move around a lot though; one guy says he makes a point of entering and leaving rooms over and over when a dungeon is cleared to spawn more fights if he's not full up on loot. So it's probably a check every time you enter or leave, possibly only in a previously-explored room/hallway.

Nakar fucked around with this message at 08:10 on Feb 9, 2016

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
At last I am free from the pains of gathering any and all heirlooms that are not crests. :toot:

I've also managed to scrounge up most of the Ancestor's trinkets. Only three of those remaining out there in the wild, and at least two of them I've seen crop up in the rotation for quest rewards.

With the Hag and the Swine down for good, currently trying to decide whether to go after the Necromancer or seek a rematch with the Brigand Pounder.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Looking for a shambler in this apprentice dungeon, it's been pitch black for the entire dungeon but no luck, final room OH poo poo IT'S AN ALTAR... wait I didn't bring any torches on this run :suicide:

It's amazing how dumb I can be when playing this game.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
make up your mind

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Captain Invictus posted:

Traps are like little bundles of stress relief :3:

not if you've got an all-heavy-armour party in the cove

then they're gruelling roulette

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I guess. But even then it feels like you've got a wayyyyyy higher chance to deactivate a trap than their percentages suggest, even with Lepers and Vestals I still deactivate them over half the time, it can't be a 10% chance or I'm just insanely lucky.

Also, I just found out that the best way to heal up without triggering reinforcements or anything is to have two lepers up front spamming Withstand while whatever healer/stress reliever you've got in the back does their thing, while fighting against two melee cultist guys. Withstand makes the attacks pitiful, and reduces the stress the lepers have to nothing to boot. Had a terrible early group of encounters in a long Champion Weald run, three giant + sorceress + hag encounters in a row and then a giant + hag + dog ambush after camping after those encounters, so my group was very low health and high stress despite my vestal being a healing machine. Encountered a cultist/cultist/sorceress/sorceress group, killed both sorceresses in short order, but one of my lepers got afflicted. Had him and his buddy spam Withstand and the cultists couldn't do anything to them while the vestal healed everyone up, and the plague doctor stunned the cultists occasionally. Took about 10 turns to reduce both Lepers to 0 stress + have everyone healed to full, which saved the run.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

yeah if you hover over the trap percentage on the charactersheet, it tells you what the disarm chance is - it's normally like 40% higher

trap resist is just the chance to dodge if you bumble over it without knowing it's there

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Captain Invictus posted:

make up your mind

This man needs to visit a barber, he clearly has too much blood.

abardam
Mar 1, 2015
I really need to stop loving with the champion shambler, I just lost two promising dungeon runs and also some of my best trinkets to this guy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Is there any reason to fight the Shambler outside of Ancestral drops? He's a real fucker and run-ruiner, even if you're equipped well to deal with him, so I don't know why people bother.

DOWN JACKET FETISH posted:

yeah if you hover over the trap percentage on the charactersheet, it tells you what the disarm chance is - it's normally like 40% higher

trap resist is just the chance to dodge if you bumble over it without knowing it's there
Oh, huh.

A.o.D. posted:

This man needs to visit a barber, he clearly has too much blood.
I went to get rid of the thin blooded negative quirk and it seems it straight up didn't give it to him but did give him thick-blooded

weird