Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
punchymcpunch
Oct 14, 2012

Boris Galerkin posted:

I'm trying to wrap my head around the politics of this show and the more I think about it the more it doesn't make sense.

The Ice Nation are meanies and everyone is teaming up to fight them in a coalition. Vane is banished from the Ice Kingdom which is why he's a forest pirate and not an Ice Kingdom prince.

The Ice Nation are the baddies this year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sentimental snail
Nov 22, 2007

DID YOU SEE MY
PEYOTE QUEEN?

Boris Galerkin posted:

I'm trying to wrap my head around the politics of this show and the more I think about it the more it doesn't make sense.

Stop trying to wrap your head around a CW show.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

PriorMarcus posted:

Yeah, Octavia spent the first 16 years of her life knowing only two people and o e of them was executed. Then she spent a year or two in the Skybox barely interacting with anyone until she was dropped to the ground to die. Now the people who killed her mother and whose rules forced her to live under the floor and go to jail are in charge.

Meanwhile a culture that values a person based on strength and character is very appealing to her. Indra, in her own way, has shown more faith and affection for Octavia than anyone other than Bellamy and her mother. And even her mother didn't seem that loving.

Not only that, but Bellamy basically did everything wrong for the right reason (in his head) to protect Octavia in season 1 and kept driving a wedge with the only person she's ever implicitly trusted. Then the arkers capture and torture the first person who connects with her on more than a superficial level. Everything in season 1 pretty much serves to alienate Octavia from the 100 apart from maybe Jasper and Monty, and even that gets cut off in season 2. And it's not like she magically became Xena Warrior Princess overnight, it was a pretty arduous journey to gain the respect of Indra when she was desperately trying to find and save Lincoln, and it's pretty understandable that she'd be upset with Lincoln for basically following the opposite development she'd been experiencing in herself while fighting so hard for him. If anything Octavia has had the most organic growth to the character she currently is aside from Kane.

hope and vaseline fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Feb 7, 2016

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

Boris Galerkin posted:

So Lexa is the leader of a coalition of 12 clans, like the tree crew and the others I don't remember the names of. It's more like a kingdom than a coalition but okay whatever.

Question: is Ice Nation a part of this coalition? I know they had a delegation in Polis at the summit but it could have just been out of diplomatic necessity not because they were a part of the coalition.

So if Ice Nation is a part of the coalition, why is their leader's son a prisoner? Isn't the whole point of a coalition to work together and taking another leader's son as prisoner kinda stains the whole thing. From the conversations we hear that Charles Vane is "banished." Okay, so again, if Ice Nation was a part of the coalition then yeah banishing a clan leader's son is a p Big Deal.

But if they're not a part of the coalition, then why the hell would it matter if Vane was banished or not? Like for example Snowden is officially considered a criminal here in the US but Russia is another country so they're just like whatever man. We saw that Vane had the freedom to just leave his prison and go do his Clark thing anyway, so I don't understand why he didn't just run for it and go home. His banishment means nothing if Ice Nation isn't a part of the coalition and his banishment makes no sense if they are a part of the coalition.

Like I get the idea that Ice Nation is another clan of people and apparently they enough people and power so that it was in 12 other clan's best interests to unite as a single front. If Ice Nation was so powerful then yeah why did Captain Vane willingly go back to Polis after being allowed to leave. I mean yeah there was the threat of war I guess?

Taking someone hostage from an ally is something that's been done throughout history. Its not that unusual.
Keep in mind that Lexa's coalition is a recent and fragile one, which could splinter at any moment. What better ways to ensure the leaders of each clan stay in line? "Step out of line and your son gets it", is a pretty drat reason not to step out of line.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Is Lexa bad at fighting or do we just rarely ever get to see her fight? I seem to remember her kicking Jaha's rear end. Admittedly, that doesn't seem that hard.

She got smacked by that wunderkid but I thought the point of that scene was the kid being good and not Lexa being bad.

E:

Also the politics I got from the show is that the Ice Nation is a part of the coalition, but is the most powerful individual member, so they throw their weight around more.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Aphrodite posted:

Octavia is hilarious.

She spent like a week and a half with Indra and now she's always talking about the Ark people as 'them' and how she doesn't belong.
her criticizing Lincoln for being Not Grounder Enough comes off as vaguely racist

you finally made Octavia good in season 2, show, stop loving it up

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!
I don't see what's the big deal with Octavia not wanting Lincoln to be too cozy with the arkers. Octavia was never part of the Arkers and probably doesn't hold a lot of love for any of them. Her life mainly consisted of hiding in the floorboards, or spending time in jail. The arkers floated her parents and sent her down on earth to die with the rest of the 100.

Why would she hold any loyalty to them? She got to earth and found herself a badass. She likes him for his culture and what he is and now, shje feels like he's trying to become one of the very people who imprisoned her all her life.

After the first 3 episodes on the ground, Octavia was already more of a grounder than an Arker.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:
Octavia should run off with Roan, I bet they'd get along together.

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Do you like superheroes? Check out my CYOA Mutants: Uprising

How about weird historical fiction? Try Vampires of the Caribbean

My understanding of Roan is that he's not really a fan of his own mom/Ice Nation, and has hanging out with Tree Crew before he was banished by Lexa. He brings her Clarke to get unbanished and she said "nah, you're my prisoner too" and now he wants Clarke to kill her.

He could have brought Clarke to the Ice queen but didn't. He is obviously estranged from his own nation. I'm sure they'll fill in more details about him as time goes on.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Is that tower a recognizable building or is it just random? I did like the birds eye view they did of it where you could see that it actually lies within a ruined city.

Also Polis is a specific place or are grounders bringing back Greek?

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

zoux posted:

Also Polis is a specific place or are grounders bringing back Greek?

Annapolis.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I didn't say Octavia wanting to be a Grounder (or more specifically, not an Arker) didn't make sense, it's the time frame that makes it funny.

She actually did become a badass basically overnight. All her dialogue this season so far is as if she grew up with them when the show's time frame means she could only have been with them for like 2 weeks.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Boris Galerkin posted:

So if Ice Nation is a part of the coalition, why is their leader's son a prisoner? Isn't the whole point of a coalition to work together and taking another leader's son as prisoner kinda stains the whole thing. From the conversations we hear that Charles Vane is "banished." Okay, so again, if Ice Nation was a part of the coalition then yeah banishing a clan leader's son is a p Big Deal.

He's a hostage.... taking royal hostages is about as old timey politics as old timey politics gets.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It's a coalition between the 12 clans, but they're all under Lexa.

Even though she's from the Tree Clan and Polis is physically located there, I don't think she's considered their day to day leader. That appears to be Indra.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
They already explicitly referred to Indra as the leader of the Tree Clan, so yeah, that's right.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Aphrodite posted:

I didn't say Octavia wanting to be a Grounder (or more specifically, not an Arker) didn't make sense, it's the time frame that makes it funny.

She actually did become a badass basically overnight. All her dialogue this season so far is as if she grew up with them when the show's time frame means she could only have been with them for like 2 weeks.

Months passed between 2 and 3 alone iirc. I honestly think it's likely been coming up on close o a year now since the 100 landed, unless there's some official timeline somewhere and I am way off.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Clarke was locked up a whole week between ep 3x2 and 3x3.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006
Yeah it's been like 3 months between season 2 and 3. I guess some people don't pay much attention to the details.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Boris Galerkin posted:

So Lexa is the leader of a coalition of 12 clans, like the tree crew and the others I don't remember the names of. It's more like a kingdom than a coalition but okay whatever.

Before Lexa they were all separate. Now they are loosely aligned for the first time ever. It's a coalition.

quote:

Question: is Ice Nation a part of this coalition?

Yes.

quote:

So if Ice Nation is a part of the coalition, why is their leader's son a prisoner?

Because the Ice Nation is poo poo and has been trying to gently caress with Lexa for...ever. They kidnapped her old girlfriend and tortured her to death, it's one of the things that put her on her whole "Emotions are weakness" kick.

quote:

Like I get the idea that Ice Nation is another clan of people and apparently they enough people and power so that it was in 12 other clan's best interests to unite as a single front.

They are one of the 12 Clans.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Wandle Cax posted:

Yeah it's been like 3 months between season 2 and 3. I guess some people don't pay much attention to the details.

That's now. Everything with Octavia's training was during like 3 episodes.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Aphrodite posted:

That's now. Everything with Octavia's training was during like 3 episodes.

She sleeps on the ground now man. She's hard as poo poo.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

I think it's a little disheartening that after all Lincoln's been through, he now has to deal with Octavia's bullshit.

E:
Lincoln's gotta be to suffering what Clarke is to killing.

Jump King fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Feb 8, 2016

punchymcpunch
Oct 14, 2012

There's none so zealous as a convert. It's super common and not weird at all.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

punchymcpunch posted:

There's none so zealous as a convert. It's super common and not weird at all.

He brought her into this life, with his dreamy abs and mysteriousness. Then he goes and gets himself banished by thinking with his dick.

"Come be a dirty sexy warrior with me, we'll gently caress in a tree house" "Cool! my people suck, cept my brother"
nek minnit

"Come be a security guard with me" "errr... where's my loving treehouse"

Octavia is without fault.

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

He was banished from Tree crew because he stayed with the Arkers to attack Mt Weather...right? It's a little fuzzy in my memory.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

hollylolly posted:

He was banished from Tree crew because he stayed with the Arkers to attack Mt Weather...right? It's a little fuzzy in my memory.

I think his initial crime was siding with the Ark teens at the end of Season 1. He was given a reprieve when they made the alliance, but then he was arrested when Lexa made the deal with Mt. Weather. Then Indra secretly released him in the Season 2 finale.

Lycus fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Feb 8, 2016

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
He stayed to protect Octavia, after Lexa made a truce that left mount weather off limits to Treecrew.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

He didn't stay, they took him. Indra then let him go and he got back at the very end in time to kill Cage.

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

That sounds right. Which is also why Octavia isn't with Indra anymore, because she was forced to choose and she went after her brother rather than retreat with Treecrew.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Lycus posted:

He didn't stay, they took him. Indra then let him go and he got back at the very end in time to kill Cage.

They took him, yeah, Indra gave him a knife shaped choice.

I was just trawling tumblr for a gif of your man getting booted off the balcony, and found this. The princes map.

Rocksicles fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Feb 8, 2016

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Now the next thing can a local DC person and/or trainsperg tell us if that's a current map or they added more stuff in the next 40 odd years?

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Polis is in B'more, from what i gather.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Rocksicles posted:

Polis is in B'more, from what i gather.

Or it's the place directly to the east of DC with "Polis" in the name, Annapolis.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
It's not, they have confirmed it, and it's on the 100 wiki. The polis name as no relation to those cities.

Polis market = Linthicum Heights Subway station... Baltimore.

Rocksicles fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Feb 9, 2016

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
That's odd. Wonder how that worked out. Everything else is basically named after what it always was, it's not like "Tondc" is what they call Richmond. At least living in Baltimore explains why they are so poo poo at running things.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I just googled polis+baltimore and it came up with a bunch of articles about a trans woman beaten to death in Baltimore, her last name was Polis....

Make of that what you will.

It also means city in Ancient Greek

Rocksicles fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Feb 9, 2016

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

A half of an Annapolis sign got blown to Baltimore by a nuke. There.

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007
From what I understand, the basic idea behind Trigdasleng is that it's designed to be a made up language, sort of like Pig Latin. It's a pidgin English for a survivalist group that's big enough that not everybody knows each other. So if somebody can talk to you in the same made-up language, then you're both part of the same group, and if somebody doesn't understand, then they're an outsider. Which is why a lot of English creeps into the language, and why things like skykru and and treekru makes sense.

It's not hard to imagine slipping in polis in as a word for city, since it's the root word for words like politician, polite, and policy. I have studied zero ancient Greek and I know that polis means city.

thrakkorzog fucked around with this message at 10:23 on Feb 9, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'm down, i need no convincing.

• Locked thread