Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
An AspE isn't "humble", it's the best exploration ship.

Also it's worth keeping in mind that the spring patch is going to add some kind of module crafting which will probably allow you to extend your jump range a bit and thus get around the galaxy somewhat faster. It takes a significant number of hours to cross the galaxy, so those changes might be a big deal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

At a conservative estimate, you could probably cover 1000 ly per hour if you didn't stop to smell the roses (and don't hit a briar patch).

How far out have they got?

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

K8.0 posted:

An AspE isn't "humble", it's the best exploration ship.

Also it's worth keeping in mind that the spring patch is going to add some kind of module crafting which will probably allow you to extend your jump range a bit and thus get around the galaxy somewhat faster. It takes a significant number of hours to cross the galaxy, so those changes might be a big deal.

This.

It's basically the only reason why I'm still close to the bubble. (Not any longer, though: I've still have to finish up my list of nearby Black Holes. That should keep me busy until the Spring patch.)

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

I bought an exploraconda yesterday :getin:

LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer

tooterfish posted:

At a conservative estimate, you could probably cover 1000 ly per hour if you didn't stop to smell the roses (and don't hit a briar patch).

1000ly an hour should be quite easy. I was able to hit that in a 26ly capable Cobra. You could probably even hit 1200-1300 an hour if you no-nonsense and only refill every 10-12 jumps.

Mercurius posted:

I bought an exploraconda yesterday :getin:

I'm about 2400ly out from the bubble right now on my way to Sag A in an exploraconda. You could probably catch up to me relatively quickly as I'm more of a explorabattleconda. I've got all weapons and a half decent shield, only managing about a 27ly range.

timn
Mar 16, 2010
To celebrate hitting elite trader rank, I bought and A-fitted an Orca because gently caress it. Introducing the DFS War Tourism.

(yes, I bought the military bulkheads)

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

I'm gonna take the advice above and wait to hit the stellar trail until the changes go in. Still plenty of time to shoot federales and bounty heads in the meantime, I'm only at like 70 mil assets so far

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
Not just for breakfast anymore
I just got rank one with the Empire and now I'm thinking about a "run around and shoot people" build.

http://coriolis.io/outfit/imperial_eagle/33A3A3A1E2A2E2C1g1818026i2q2525.AwRj4yg=.CwBhGZxAmEEYzWKEQ===

I'm bad at shooting railguns so I didn't put any on. Do I need to "get good" first or can I reasonably expect to murder people with this build?
e: Is Powerplay rep a good way to practice for PvP?

DreadLlama fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Feb 8, 2016

Nov 3, 2015

Give me all your crackers

Libluini posted:

They sold more units of Horizons and the original E:D combined then Star Citizen has backers (a bit over 1 million units). I think it was even mentioned in this thread a couple pages ago.

The Distant Worlds expedition is basically 1% of the potential playerbase, going after the number of owners.

Actually, just ED has sold more, 1.3 million, and Star Citizen does not have 1 million backers (that is just the number of accounts on the website). CIG have not given actual numbers but as the UEE fleet number is something like 900k (number of ships sold), its expected that the number of backers is 300k-500k.

Atrayonis
Jul 6, 2008

Godspeed, brave canary
They are on their way to waypoint 8 -New Botany Bay, 34k light years from Sol.
(That's also their main thread, as far as I can see.)
Some nice canyons on WP7, though.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YKqgVTyH6dU

A video of the ship pile.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A5962e9RA6c

Atrayonis fucked around with this message at 11:26 on Feb 8, 2016

RattiRatto
Jun 26, 2014

:gary: :I'd like to borrow $200M
:whatfor:
:gary: :To make vidya game
Just got the base game off steam. If i like i might upgrade to the new expansion, hopefully i'm not missing too much.
Thanks for the useful guides OP

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gDQZCoCvHfE

Crossposting for those of you who aren't rolling with Diamond Frogs, wrap-up video for our most recent operation.

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe
I am waiting for My x52 Pro to be delivered, I really hope its worth it considering all the mice I have bought from saitek/madcatz have broken with a couple of months.

Zaardvark
Apr 28, 2015

Ceci n'est pas un GIF.

RattiRatto posted:

Just got the base game off steam. If i like i might upgrade to the new expansion, hopefully i'm not missing too much.
Thanks for the useful guides OP

To be frank, the only things Horizons offers at the moment is planetary landings and driving around on the surface, which is a neat in the short term, but more of a novelty without compelling hooks. Now Horizons also covers all of 'season 2''s content, much of which is not yet implemented. For someone on the fence about Horizons, I'd advise them to wait and see what's in it, and only get it now if you really want to land and drive around on mostly bare, rocky plains.

Nov 3, 2015

Give me all your crackers

staberind posted:

I am waiting for My x52 Pro to be delivered, I really hope its worth it considering all the mice I have bought from saitek/madcatz have broken with a couple of months.

I have had mine for 1.5 years and still like it. When it breaks I will be going with CH stuff next.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
While driving on planets is neat, there's not much substance there. But keeping in mind that it includes everything up to December (assuming Season 3 comes out then) you can purchase it now. It will have a sale probably in summer or winter for Horizons. Of course, right now it's also on sale.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

staberind posted:

About Mad Catz....
http://seekingalpha.com/news/3089406-mad-catz-interactive-halted-ahead-news-announcement
http://www.polygon.com/2016/2/8/10939752/mad-catz-executive-board-changes-rock-band-4-earnings

RattiRatto
Jun 26, 2014

So i was born in a system and i have no access to any missions, as i need higher grade. Do random trading increase my trading rank? And are mission a viable option to start off? Even if they reward with those lousy 5,000 credits?

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

i have a madcatz fly 5 and can't fault it

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
Gaaah.

They need to do some rebalancing with Horizons.

I restarted because I hadn't played in ages and had no idea where I was up to\what I was doing and my old character was broke anyway.

Finding a mission that you can actually accomplish when you're in a basic Sidewinder is really hard. For a lot of the new missions, you need some special equipment (EG: Cargo scanners, Interdection drives etc.) otherwise they're just impractical to do. Every other mission that doesn't need special equipment tends to be "Available but Unobtainable"

They either need to give you more than 1,000 credits to start off with so that you can outfit your ship with something that makes doing SOME missions practical, or make some sort of character creator where you can choose a starting "role" which gives you something useful.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
Literally isn't a problem once you get your first couple of payouts.

Edit from the brown sea:

quote:

I sold my Python and Imperial Cutter and bought them back at 30% off in LFT 37 at Onnes Gateway. I put 28 million credits back in my pocket because of Frontier's oversight. That's more than I made off the CG. Crazy thing is I tried suggesting a boycott of it. I am a bit dismayed that every one and their brother that's spent more than a day doing the Robigo or Fehu runs will likely be in a Cutter now. Guess membership to that club won't be so elusive anymore.

Seriously though, if you have any of the ships that are sold there or were in the market for one better get over there before Frontiers changes it.... that is if they change it. They still haven't fixed the discounts in Li Yon Rui's systems. Better to act now, just in case.

Nostalgia4Infinity fucked around with this message at 13:49 on Feb 9, 2016

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Literally isn't a problem once you get your first couple of payout.

That's very true. First successful mission gave me 50 grand which was great, but GETTING that first mission is the problem. I kinda know what I'm doing so it wasn't THAT bad, but I could imagine for a first time player that it'd suck.

Took me a good half hour of random flying before I found a mission I could actually do. That wasn't fun.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
How often do I have to tell people to look at their ship a bit more closely? You start with a basic discovery scanner. Scan a couple suns and you're set

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe

Libluini posted:

How often do I have to tell people to look at their ship a bit more closely? You start with a basic discovery scanner. Scan a couple suns and you're set

Some of us like to play the game as more than a pretty space wallpaper.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Edit from the brown sea:

:qq: my exclusive sperglord ship got a discount so other people too can get it (nevermind the obscene rank requirements) and I saved cash swapping my old one, fix this Frontier

I love these guys, their tears are delicious

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I'm halfway from squire to knight. That imperial clipper is so far away. I just want the pretty space plane :negative:

I just bought a Fer-De-Lance because at least I can just high RES farm for cash instead of worrying about rep grinds for a while.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

H13 posted:

Gaaah.

They need to do some rebalancing with Horizons.

I restarted because I hadn't played in ages and had no idea where I was up to\what I was doing and my old character was broke anyway.

Finding a mission that you can actually accomplish when you're in a basic Sidewinder is really hard. For a lot of the new missions, you need some special equipment (EG: Cargo scanners, Interdection drives etc.) otherwise they're just impractical to do. Every other mission that doesn't need special equipment tends to be "Available but Unobtainable"

They either need to give you more than 1,000 credits to start off with so that you can outfit your ship with something that makes doing SOME missions practical, or make some sort of character creator where you can choose a starting "role" which gives you something useful.

They don't need to change anything. If you see you can't get missions, try something else. Scan some stars, go to a nav beacon or RES and shoot a few ships that the space cops have already almost killed, buy some cheap cargo at point A and sell it for a profit at point B, type "Elite Dangerous starting guide" into Google, etc. If anything, it is too easy to start, as firing a few lasers at an almost dead wanted NPC at a nav beacon a few times will net you more than enough to buy and fit an Eagle, and doing a few more will get you enough to start on loading out a Viper.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

H13 posted:

Some of us like to play the game as more than a pretty space wallpaper.

What I meant was: Scan some suns while travelling around, maybe some planets and moons too and you can outfit your Sidewinder fine. Or even upgrade to a ship you like better, like an Eagle for combat.

Waiting for missions isn't something you have to worry about. Just play the game.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

H13 posted:

Took me a good half hour of random flying before I found a mission I could actually do. That wasn't fun.

Fly to a nav beacon. Keep targetting the people there until you find one with 'wanted'. Shoot them. If you die, next time around pick an easier target. If you win, rinse, repeat, and bank the results every few kills.

Or;

Scan a couple of systems as you move around.

And/or;

Fly to a couple of nearby systems, open the commodities table, click the 'galactic average price' to populate with destination systems, look for 'exported to'. Buy, fly there, sell, repeat the steps to find something 'import to' the place you came from.

The first and the last will start to change your influence with the local people and you start to get more missions offered.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Hav posted:

Fly to a nav beacon. Keep targetting the people there until you find one with 'wanted'. Shoot them. If you die, next time around pick an easier target. If you win, rinse, repeat, and bank the results every few kills.

Or;

Scan a couple of systems as you move around.

And/or;

Fly to a couple of nearby systems, open the commodities table, click the 'galactic average price' to populate with destination systems, look for 'exported to'. Buy, fly there, sell, repeat the steps to find something 'import to' the place you came from.

The first and the last will start to change your influence with the local people and you start to get more missions offered.

Not entirely correct.

The second will also change your influence. Dropping exploration data probably works even better in the beginning, since you can't fit a lot of trading goods into your Sidewinder.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

The answer to newbie money woes is check the pgs thread, get on discord and ask someone to help you out. They might take you res hunting or just plain let you shoot them to claim their bounty. Hell, even the stock sidewinder has a little cargo rack so jettisoning paladium for the newbie to scoop/sell could get them in an eagle pretty quick. Not as quick as in a RES or nav beacon maybe.

LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Boogalo posted:

The answer to newbie money woes is check the pgs thread, get on discord and ask someone to help you out. They might take you res hunting or just plain let you shoot them to claim their bounty. Hell, even the stock sidewinder has a little cargo rack so jettisoning paladium for the newbie to scoop/sell could get them in an eagle pretty quick. Not as quick as in a RES or nav beacon maybe.

Correct.

More often than not, grabbing a Frog from Discord is an easy way to get your starter cash. There are usually people willing to drag a tadpole along with them into High or Haz Res sites to piggy back bounty hunting runs. Even on your own, going to a RES site is the most profitable early money making activity. Waiting at a Nav beacon for an hour may get you 1/5th the profit of hunting a Res for an hour.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

whoops, very wrong thread, sorry

RattiRatto
Jun 26, 2014

From what you are saying i should join pgs. But i literally have no idea how the game works yet I'm not even sure how many hundreds jumps it would take to get there with my super noob ship.
Thanks for the hints though

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

It shouldn't take too many jumps but be sure that you have "fastest route" selected in the galaxy map. Otherwise it tries to take the most efficient route, which in some cases will make it take like 30 jumps to go 20 ly.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

RIP Cutter discount.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

RattiRatto posted:

From what you are saying i should join pgs. But i literally have no idea how the game works yet I'm not even sure how many hundreds jumps it would take to get there with my super noob ship.
Thanks for the hints though

It is generally not far from a newbie system to Goatsec but you will need an upgraded FSD and a fuel scoop to make the trip. The game is a little steep at the very beginning but everything clicks quickly but it's hard to give a big guide since you won't have much context for everything, plus having a place to ask questions realtime as things get confusing helps a lot. We can help with that as well. I'm new-ish myself but have been getting better at helping others get jumpstarted so really just hop on discord and fill out inara and THE FORM. If you're around this evening eastern time i'll help you out.

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
Not just for breakfast anymore
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gDQZCoCvHfE

I didn't know you guys were ganking people. I thought you were just hauling powerplay McGuffins. Can I come shoot nerds with you?

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

It isn't so much ganking as chain-interdicting gankers and running away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

timn
Mar 16, 2010

Libluini posted:

What I meant was: Scan some suns while travelling around, maybe some planets and moons too and you can outfit your Sidewinder fine. Or even upgrade to a ship you like better, like an Eagle for combat.

Waiting for missions isn't something you have to worry about. Just play the game.

This is a good idea anyway imo just to get familiar with working the maps, jumping between systems, and cruising around insystem.

• Locked thread