Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

It's.... partially updated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Where the big boys RAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGH FUCK YOU

quote:

The adjustment we’re aiming for a February release is not one that will affect the distance at which you can use abilities. Currently, Automatons will listen to the master’s instructions and use abilities regardless of the effectiveness of the ability’s distance. This means there are many cases in which the Automaton will use abilities and they will have no effect at all.

With the planned adjustment, we wish to make it so that the Automaton will consider whether or not the current distance will be an effective use of an ability, and prevent use of abilities in the case it will have no effects. In other words, it will affect cases where the Master is within a valid distance, but the automaton’s distance makes it invalid. We believe this will not result in any significant change to how the Automaton currently functions, so we hope players can rest easy.

The PUP change isn't a nerf at all welcome your new era of Harletanks

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007

CubsWoo posted:

The PUP change isn't a nerf at all welcome your new era of Harletanks

People gearing pup? Impossible.

semiavrage
Apr 28, 2007

I'll show them... I'll show ALL of them...
I just resubbed on Quetz but it looks like the old Goon shell is gone. Any goons left?

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

semiavrage posted:

I just resubbed on Quetz but it looks like the old Goon shell is gone. Any goons left?

Asura.

Whiskeybent_Texan
Jun 21, 2009
They just announced that melee damage is going to be put on the same formula mob damage is, so melee should be a lot more viable in end game.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Whiskeybent_Texan posted:

They just announced that melee damage is going to be put on the same formula mob damage is, so melee should be a lot more viable in end game.
Hooraaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyy

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxi/threads/49816-need-twice-to-3x-the-wardrobe-space?p=571572#post571572

mog wardrobe 2 in april

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Hoooooraaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyy some mooooooooooore

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007

Whiskeybent_Texan posted:

Doesn't really sort the survival issues or maintenance involved with a dd party.

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

Looking forward to my inventory taking an hour to load in April.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

frodnonnag posted:

Doesn't really sort the survival issues or maintenance involved with a dd party.

From what I've read it brings them both in line damage wise with mobs, which means ranged will lose their distinct advantage over DD from a damage output perspective. This is good and bad, as it forces a more tactical approach to direct damage jobs.

It won't effect accuracy, so that poo poo is still the long pole in high end parties.

semiavrage
Apr 28, 2007

I'll show them... I'll show ALL of them...
I just reactivated my account and my buddy (who has never played before) just created a brand new one. We are going to transfer over to Asura and hopefully will be hanging around tonight. Is Asura as completely dead as Quetz is?

Also, is it true that no one uses cupper/clipper anymore? Because if so that's a huge bummer. If that's not true, please send me a working link because holy poo poo is this slow.

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

Clipper is still used, but be a lot more conservative using it.

Make sure auto-detect is on, stay under 150 and don't clip through walls. They look at auto-flags and player reports now.

Was gonna write up some long rear end new players guide, but some person on reddit did a better job than I ever would of.
https://m.reddit.com/r/ffxi/comments/44o0g7/new_and_returning_player_guide/

Chouji
May 23, 2007
Baika no Jutsu
Anybody [On right now] that can pearl me? (Asura)

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I can. Give me a sec

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Chouji posted:

Anybody [On right now] that can pearl me? (Asura)

What's your name, young man?

Roflan
Nov 25, 2007

Your question might be answered by now but I swear Asura is much busier now that it was during the last time I played, a year ago. And maybe the year before that-- I tend to play for a few months at the start of every year.

I think a lot of people have been consolidating on Asura.

edit: I cannot begin to say how livid I am that the super saiyan Shantotto alter ego was a limited time thing... I swear to god, they better bring her back. And I really wish they would stop making things time limited.

Roflan fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Feb 9, 2016

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

Limited time offerings encourage long term subscribers, so I don't really fault them for it (I still don't have a number of the ones from extravaganzas, which is annoying, but meh).

That said I feel really bad for people who don't have Shantotto2. The only downside to her is she can pull hate off of literally every tank trust I have.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I'm currently on my phone waiting in the drive through while my character gets mobbed by a crowd of mandragoras in abyssea tahrongi. Shield skillups mofo.

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

10,000 Pluton (Relic) Beitetsu (Mythic/Ergon) or Riftborn (Empy) needed to upgrade a non-Aftermath 119 RMEE to the +269 skill stage.

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

They finally adding mounts besides chocobos?

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007

Holyshoot posted:

They finally adding mounts besides chocobos?

Been teasing this poo poo for like half a year. They also showed off a new outdoor moghouse area.

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007
Ahaha.. more examples of SE having absolutely no loving clue. They said summoning magic skill has no effect on bloodpact accuracy today.
This was something they specifically added years ago to make the skill useful, it has been tested as true for awhile.

Pathos
Sep 8, 2000

Is it even possible to install this game on Windows 10? I've had absolutely no luck getting PlayOnline to install on a Win10 machine pretty much no matter what I've tried.

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007

Pathos posted:

Is it even possible to install this game on Windows 10? I've had absolutely no luck getting PlayOnline to install on a Win10 machine pretty much no matter what I've tried.

i'm running it fine on 10. are you using the win7 version of playonline?

http://www.playonline.com/ff11us/download/media/vista01.html?pageID=media

Pathos
Sep 8, 2000

frodnonnag posted:

i'm running it fine on 10. are you using the win7 version of playonline?

http://www.playonline.com/ff11us/download/media/vista01.html?pageID=media

Yeah, trying to install that does exactly the same thing. It goes "Preparing to Install" and then dies at the "Preparing to Install...." point after extracting Tetra Master.

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

I had no issues installing on Windows 10 with the amazon download.

Pathos
Sep 8, 2000

Well, gently caress. I just bought it on Amazon and it doens't work either. Exactly the same error. That's $30 loving wasted. Goddammit.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

I'm pretty sure they both have the same packages.

Does it hang or crash? If it crashes, do you have anything in your event log that would point to why? Is there logging for the installer you can read?

Pathos
Sep 8, 2000

Paladine_PSoT posted:

I'm pretty sure they both have the same packages.

Does it hang or crash? If it crashes, do you have anything in your event log that would point to why? Is there logging for the installer you can read?

I really appreciate you guys trying to help, by the way. I'm crossing my fingers that someone can figure this out.

It crashes -- not hangs. Basically it gets about 1/3 of the way through the second progress bar (where it says Preparing to Install...") and then actually crashes. I've tried Compatibility Modes and running it as an Admin and no loving luck either way.

Here's what Event Viewer says:

Faulting application name: setup.exe_PlayOnline Viewer & Tetra Master, version: 12.0.0.49974, time stamp: 0x4475d140
Faulting module name: unknown, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x00000000
Exception code: 0xc000041d
Fault offset: 0x042bef78
Faulting process id: 0xca4
Faulting application start time: 0x01d1646d1cbad97c
Faulting application path: E:\Games\FFXI\FINAL FANTASY XI Ultimate Collection Seekers Edition (Download)\extracted\PlayOnline\setup.exe
Faulting module path: unknown
Report Id: 4c54b735-74b8-43f4-bf30-1b5e3c9e0cf2
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

That's a difficult one to diagnose remotely, but it's related to potentially threading, try running sfc /scannow to validate windows files and rule those out. What type of machine is it?

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

Pathos posted:

I really appreciate you guys trying to help, by the way. I'm crossing my fingers that someone can figure this out.

It crashes -- not hangs. Basically it gets about 1/3 of the way through the second progress bar (where it says Preparing to Install...") and then actually crashes. I've tried Compatibility Modes and running it as an Admin and no loving luck either way.

Here's what Event Viewer says:

Faulting application name: setup.exe_PlayOnline Viewer & Tetra Master, version: 12.0.0.49974, time stamp: 0x4475d140
Faulting module name: unknown, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x00000000
Exception code: 0xc000041d
Fault offset: 0x042bef78
Faulting process id: 0xca4
Faulting application start time: 0x01d1646d1cbad97c
Faulting application path: E:\Games\FFXI\FINAL FANTASY XI Ultimate Collection Seekers Edition (Download)\extracted\PlayOnline\setup.exe
Faulting module path: unknown
Report Id: 4c54b735-74b8-43f4-bf30-1b5e3c9e0cf2
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:

Try cranking down the UAC and maybe nab the install package off the pol site.

Also make sure to shut off antivirus if you haven't been for the install.

LiquidFriend fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Feb 11, 2016

Pathos
Sep 8, 2000

Paladine_PSoT posted:

That's a difficult one to diagnose remotely, but it's related to potentially threading, try running sfc /scannow to validate windows files and rule those out. What type of machine is it?

It's a pretty generic Windows 10 machine, upgraded from 8.1. The stats are: i7, 5930K with 32GB RAM and an ASUS X99 mobo. I'm running Kaspersky, though I've tried turning it off to no effect.

sfc /scannow showed some errors -- primarily in opencl.dll. I'm in the process of trying to restore from the install CD (as per tenforums.com) but that seems like a longshot.

I did find one other mention of the exact same thing, here:
https://www.reddit.com/r/ffxi/comments/3e59by/cant_install_ffxi_on_windows_81/

Unfortunately there was no follow-up by the person when they posted it, so that didn't really elucidate much.

Pathos
Sep 8, 2000

Yep, corrected the errors with sfc (comes up clean now) and temporarily disabled Kaspersky. Still crashes at exactly the same place. No loving idea here. God, this is frustrating.

kaempfer0080
Aug 22, 2011

Certified Weeb

Pathos posted:

Yep, corrected the errors with sfc (comes up clean now) and temporarily disabled Kaspersky. Still crashes at exactly the same place. No loving idea here. God, this is frustrating.

I play on a surface book and didn't have any issues installing. I bought that all in one pack back in November or whatever for $10. Is that the same set of installers you're using?

Unrelated note, I kind of dropped off FFXI after playing it extensively through November, December, and beginning of January. I think I felt like I hit a wall when I got to 99 because I don't know how to Skirmish and didn't have anyone to do it with (I'm also not in the goon LS yet). Does anyone feel like doing some skirmishes so I can learn? Anyone else also want to try skirmish who hasn't yet? I have BLU and GEO at 99.

Also, I want to level SMN but I don't know how viable they are. Seems to be generally looked down on for group content. People just want BLUs, BLMs, GEOs, CORs, that kind of thing. Should I just shut up and play it anyway?

kaempfer0080 fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Feb 11, 2016

Male of the Century
Jan 7, 2004

PISH-POSH!
It's the second strongest class in the game so do what makes you feel good.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

Pathos posted:

Do you have the option to *NOT* install tetra master? that service is long dead...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pathos
Sep 8, 2000

Paladine_PSoT posted:

Do you have the option to *NOT* install tetra master? that service is long dead...

No, unfortunately. It has to be both PlayOnline and Tetra Master, I guess. Not sure why they're bundled but there isn't a way to separate them in the installer itself.