Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Tiggum posted:

How do you think it could be implemented to actually work then?

Have "Do Not Call" actually mean just that :shrug:

Illegal operators and overseas, well nothing's going to stop them. But all the rest? Cull them.

Bee and wasp sting fails:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkuEGbFEf9Y

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HairyManling
Jul 20, 2011

No flipping.
Fun Shoe
This has got to be the second most useless animal that has ever existed.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Gorilla Salad posted:

Have "Do Not Call" actually mean just that :shrug:

Illegal operators and overseas, well nothing's going to stop them. But all the rest? Cull them.

Oh, so you just mean expand it to include people other than telemarketers. Would that even make much of a difference? When I've had my landline connected I've been called almost exclusively by scammers anyway.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Tiggum posted:

Oh, so you just mean expand it to include people other than telemarketers.

Yeah. I don't see why some parties are exempt from the do not call list. I don't want calls from political parties stumping for their candidate, or even my own bank, if it's just to advertise some new service they're offering.

It's not really a problem, since call display is so ubiquitous these days that no one answers their phones unless they recognize the number, but still, why even make the call in the first place. Once the boomers are gone, since they're pretty much the last bloc of landline users, I could see telemarketing and other such phone based annoyances start to disappear. No point in making cold calls if literally no one will pick up their phone.

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM
LIBERALS WILL BE RE-ELECTED IN A LANDSLIDE

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Yeah. I don't see why some parties are exempt from the do not call list. I don't want calls from political parties stumping for their candidate, or even my own bank, if it's just to advertise some new service they're offering.

It's not really a problem, since call display is so ubiquitous these days that no one answers their phones unless they recognize the number, but still, why even make the call in the first place. Once the boomers are gone, since they're pretty much the last bloc of landline users, I could see telemarketing and other such phone based annoyances start to disappear. No point in making cold calls if literally no one will pick up their phone.

You're going to have to work a lot harder than "I'm annoyed" to get politicians to make it so that politicians and their big donors aren't allowed to robocall you.

monkeytennis
Apr 26, 2007

Toilet Rascal

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Except that every company you've ever dealt with that has your mobile number has sold it over and over again to many many telemarketing, accident solicitor and lots of other companies. So they'll give up calling landlines and call you while you're in the car.

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM
LIBERALS WILL BE RE-ELECTED IN A LANDSLIDE

monkeytennis posted:

Except that every company you've ever dealt with that has your mobile number has sold it over and over again to many many telemarketing, accident solicitor and lots of other companies. So they'll give up calling landlines and call you while you're in the car.

Jokes on them, I don't have a car. Also my phone blocks phone numbers that aren't already in my directory so they'll just hit voicemail.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

That's some top tier Life of Pi cosplay

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Watching this, idiot on the bike at 0:30 heads off towards the parked car, I think "I kind of hope he hits that car".

Cue camera dropping, tyres screeching, welp.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

monkeytennis posted:

That's what I was getting at though. Will they call mobile numbers in greater numbers? Is there anyone under 60 that answers their mobile phone when they don't recognize the number? Every advertiser on the planet could have all the numbers out there, but if there's no one answering their phone, is it still worth it.

I saw a surge of advertising calls when I last had to get a new mobile number, but these days those have almost dropped to zero. The only bump I ever see is when there's an election going on, and to be honest my union is WAY worse in making endless robocalls on who I should vote for than the actual political parties. At some point they must be detecting "Okay, this guy literally never answers his phone, so we might as well stop calling and use that time to call rubes who do answer their phone."

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

At some point they must be detecting "Okay, this guy literally never answers his phone, so we might as well stop calling and use that time to call rubes who do answer their phone."

Pretty sure they don't. It's all automatic dialling anyway so they just keep trying the number in case it eventually works.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Yeah, I literally never use my landline, I only have it because every Aussie ISP is a phone service provider and makes you take both, and my number is unlisted as well, so the only possible callers are telemarketers. As a result I never pick up and yet they never stop, so can confirm it doesn't faze them.

AlphaKretin has a new favorite as of 12:27 on Feb 9, 2016

Astrobastard
Dec 31, 2008

Winky Face

AlphaKretin posted:

Yeah, I literally never use my landline, I only have it because every Aussie ISP is a phone service provider and makes you take both, and my number is unlisted as well, so the only possible callers are telemarketers. As a result I never pick and yet they never stop, so can confirm it doesn't faze them.

I use it to find my mobile

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

At 3:21 there's a near-perfect Nelson Muntz laugh.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Astrobastard posted:

This is the number one reason I pick my landline up.

Also in my last place I had to get a landline to get broadband, within an hour of having it connected we were getting spam calls, despite requesting an unlisted number the provider said it must be random. We complained non stop and they issued us a new number, spam calls within an hour again. Mathematically unlikely to be random or consecutive dialing in my opinion.

Helios Grime
Jan 27, 2012

Where we are going we won't need shirts
Pillbug

Is there actually a new OSHA thread, since the one in GBS was "retired"? There are some good clips in there like that last one.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Cakefool posted:

This is the number one reason I pick my landline up.

Also in my last place I had to get a landline to get broadband, within an hour of having it connected we were getting spam calls, despite requesting an unlisted number the provider said it must be random. We complained non stop and they issued us a new number, spam calls within an hour again. Mathematically unlikely to be random or consecutive dialing in my opinion.
I just got a new phone and number, it took about 3 minutes for it to start ringing. Marketing survey first, then windows tech support. Those fuckers don't waste any time

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating

Astrobastard posted:

https://www.google.com/android/devicemanager lets you ring your droid remotely!

Astrobastard
Dec 31, 2008

Winky Face

man ive got it on speed dial 1, as much as I love android its slow as balls in comparison

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

AlphaKretin posted:

Yeah, I literally never use my landline, I only have it because every Aussie ISP is a phone service provider and makes you take both, and my number is unlisted as well, so the only possible callers are telemarketers. As a result I never pick up and yet they never stop, so can confirm it doesn't faze them.

Same deal except we don't bother with having a handset plugged in.

Astrobastard posted:

man ive got it on speed dial 1, as much as I love android its slow as balls in comparison

It just took me 21 seconds for google to find my phone for me. You're right, that's unacceptable :rolleyes:

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Memento posted:

Same deal except we don't bother with having a handset plugged in.

It just took me 21 seconds for google to find my phone for me. You're right, that's unacceptable :rolleyes:

I don't think you understand how badly Instagram needs pictures of my lunch

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

"Meh, it's a living."

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

Data Graham posted:

What, if anything, is this car made of

This phrasing made me sputter with laughter, thank you.

More car nonsense. The caption claims that a man kicked a stray dog so the dog rounded up his stray dog friends and chewed up the man's car. Is this true? I don't know but that dog sureis loving up this car.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

French town invaded by Atlantic foam. Unlike the foam at a trendy night club, I am fairly certain this reeks of fish.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PtYeqlvNJJY

Switzerland
Feb 18, 2005
Do what thou must do.

GrandpaPants posted:

French town invaded by Atlantic foam. Unlike the foam at a trendy night club, I am fairly certain this reeks of fish.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PtYeqlvNJJY

A night with your mother: A metaphor.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

More car nonsense. The caption claims that a man kicked a stray dog so the dog rounded up his stray dog friends and chewed up the man's car. Is this true? I don't know but that dog sureis loving up this car.

This Daily Mail article (with multiple photos) says the same thing and credits the photos to a Chinese newspaper

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...rashes-car.html

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CbdGVRywBV0

Not snuff, the guy lived. Unlike that guy on his scooter who did the same thing.

I like the guy in the jacket who could not give a single gently caress.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

This is one of the greatest gifs I've ever seen.

CollegeCop
Jul 11, 2005

You're right. I'm not a real cop. Those are imaginary handcuffs. And in a minute, we'll be going to the make-believe jail.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Warning, HUGE human being at 3:00 in that video...

I see what you did there :golfclap:

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Warning, HUGE human being at 3:00 in that video...

Um newsflash but that was a whole lot of faggots.

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

http://i.imgur.com/LqeCVGH.gifv

http://i.imgur.com/k8filah.gifv

http://i.imgur.com/CqiYh1v.gifv

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

The most unfortunate thing in that gif is the kid's hair

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

That dog is Terry loving Tate...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RzToNo7A-94

YOU KILL THE JOE, YOU MAKE SOME MO!

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
I'm guessing by the fact that the kid is just randomly running around in a helmet without a football to be seen that the dog crashtackles him all the time.

"Hmmm, $500 for dog training lessons .... or $20 for a helmet? Well I guess I can order a helmet online but I'd have to drive to the park for the dog lessons ..."

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

I'm guessing by the fact that the kid is just randomly running around in a helmet without a football to be seen that the dog crashtackles him all the time.

"Hmmm, $500 for dog training lessons .... or $20 for a helmet? Well I guess I can order a helmet online but I'd have to drive to the park for the dog lessons ..."

Someone get the McCaskey's on the line and tell them we just found their 2016 first round pick.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

If he's going to be a quarterback, Timmy has to learn... If you leave the pocket, it's open loving season.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

The most unfortunate thing in that gif is the kid's hair

I didn't know Bart Simpson hair was possible in real life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Solice Kirsk posted:

Someone get the McCaskey's on the line and tell them we just found their 2016 first round pick.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FBFhdl17YJ0