Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
With smaller companies I run into the issue of day-by-day there not being much to do between shows, and I wonder if I should be doing more because obviously this is the pace the game set, etc. That and the precise book-to-the-minute nature of the shows themselves always slow things down for me. It's very hurry-up-and-wait.

My dream wrestling sim would be way more like The Movies or similar Tycoon games, abstracted enough that you can theoretically play through an entire promotion's history in a reasonable amount of time but still get to book major storylines and matches and have interesting surprises. But it's such a niche I can't imagine anyone taking the time to make it happen (and the Movies didn't even do that well).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

I was just sitting on loads of cash so I bought a dojo and put the Stomper in charge. Does it ever do anything and can I interact with it?

Diddums
Jan 31, 2014

Josuke Higashikata posted:

nL always produce simply amazing content but that rumble is definitely up there for the best they've ever done.

I second this. The fast-forward WCW rumbles and the Royaliest of Rumbles are pretty great as well.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Yeah the WCW one that turned into The Stevie Ray Show was one of my favorites.

Diddums
Jan 31, 2014
2k16 got a lot better when I got rid of most of the default wrestlers, and started running whole shows of CAWs.

Adam Cole flip pile-driving Mikey Whipwreck onto a ladder to retain, and Bruiser Brody, Masato Tanaka, and Luke Harper almost killing each other in a hardcore match in the LU Temple. Great stuff.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

RaceyBucket posted:

I was just sitting on loads of cash so I bought a dojo and put the Stomper in charge. Does it ever do anything and can I interact with it?

If you have new worker generation on, the dojo will occassionally spit out a new worker and give you first rights of refusal.

If you're playing a historical mod, those have new worker generation turned off as a rule. So unless you turn it on under options, the dojo will do literally nothing.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

RaceyBucket posted:

Depends on what your game settings are. If you want to get the most of yr dojo you'll have to make new worker debuts more frequent. The game also appears to be programmed to fill out regions that lack in workers - a new game with a real-world mod is bound to be flush with new wrestlers in Europe and new color commentators in Japan. But you'll get raw recruits in a few months.

Grad quality is 90% determined by how much $$$ you initially put into the dojo. The other 10% is how respected and skilled (in road agent-type stats, I think) your head trainer is. The quality of your dojo is very slowly improved (or harmed) by the same head trainer stats. Your grads also have a random chance of starting with loyalty to your head trainer.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, the dojos area long term world building thing. Its all about playing a long game and having some homegrown wrestlers who might have not only long ties to you but the trainer. Its one of those "invest now and reap rewards a long time away" aspects of the game that you gotta have patience for it to be worth anything.

And yeah, you gotta make sure your settings are set to produce new workers frequently.

Maxwell Lord posted:

With smaller companies I run into the issue of day-by-day there not being much to do between shows, and I wonder if I should be doing more because obviously this is the pace the game set, etc. That and the precise book-to-the-minute nature of the shows themselves always slow things down for me. It's very hurry-up-and-wait.

My dream wrestling sim would be way more like The Movies or similar Tycoon games, abstracted enough that you can theoretically play through an entire promotion's history in a reasonable amount of time but still get to book major storylines and matches and have interesting surprises. But it's such a niche I can't imagine anyone taking the time to make it happen (and the Movies didn't even do that well).

Yeah, its why I like a TV show since it keeps me engaged and the "book-to-the-minute" thing feels more natural with a TV show or PPV than a random untelevised show. One show a month just doesn't work for me as it feels too passive. If I'm doing a company like that I take my chances with money and run a show every 2 weeks. There's really nothing holding you back from running more than 1 show a month except money. If you can control your worker costs you can make it work.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
The Hall of Fame Showcase is out February 23. I can't wait to see what bonus glitches it will include.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
Haha he added "wrestlers court" to TEW 2016. Awesome.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

triplexpac posted:

Haha he added "wrestlers court" to TEW 2016. Awesome.

Oh my god yes

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Yet another random thing I never encountered in 2k14:

During an Elimination Chamber match I had one CAW for whom the announcer and commentary name was "The Monster", and the audience started chanting "Monster's gonna kill you!"

Also for the record, Wade Barrett won (independent of my control) and will challenge Ric Flair for the WHC at Wrestlemania.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
In my 2k15 game, I lost a TLC match with RVD vs Eric Rowan, when Rowan lightly tapped me with a jab and the table softly fell into my shins, somehow splintering in the center.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you
Does anyone have any tips for setting up Universe mode in a fun way? I'm going to start that this weekend

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

triplexpac posted:

Does anyone have any tips for setting up Universe mode in a fun way? I'm going to start that this weekend

If you get sick of a generated rivalry, just delete it. If you get sick of a wrestler getting booked too much, beat them a lot, or if you don't care enough just cut them from the roster entirely. Save the Money in the Bank cash-in in case the title scene gets really dire. (I think this is what WWE does irl and it would explain a lot.)
The game is kind of merciless about pushing whatever stupid poo poo it decided is important and you can't really have any qualms about forcing it to move away from Undertaker vs. Kofi for the strap: Month 17.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

I started a Feb '88 game as WWF, I've done just over a year and got two A* matches at Wrestlemania V (Hulk Hogan def. Jerry Lawler; Randy Savage def Mr Perfect to win the WWF Title)

I'm by no means great at the game so I guess the database is kinda unbalanced, or the WWF product makes it too easy to have amazing matches with entertainers like King and Hogan

E: Hogan Lawler is actually now a late-80s WWF program I wish had happened

jesus WEP fucked around with this message at 12:16 on Feb 6, 2016

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you
Yeah TEW main events can be really easy if you're playing popularity based promotion with guys like Hogan and Savage.

The challenge comes with trying to build up newer younger guys so you're not hosed when your top guys are gone.

Or, booking new main events so you're not just recycling the same 5 main eventers.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Veryslightlymad posted:

In my 2k15 game, I lost a TLC match with RVD vs Eric Rowan, when Rowan lightly tapped me with a jab and the table softly fell into my shins, somehow splintering in the center.

Playing 2K16 Universe since they put the patch in, and when I had a steel cage match, the prompt to select a player or just watch didn't appear, so it was CPU vs CPU. Thanks 2K!

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

triplexpac posted:

Yeah TEW main events can be really easy if you're playing popularity based promotion with guys like Hogan and Savage.

The challenge comes with trying to build up newer younger guys so you're not hosed when your top guys are gone.

Or, booking new main events so you're not just recycling the same 5 main eventers.
Yeah, that's what I've been doing. Pretty much the first thing I did in that game was steal Perfect away from AWA and build him up as the #1 heel in the company. He was champ by Summerslam.

Other highlights from WM: LoD beat Demolition in a tag Street Fight, "The Legend Killer" Shawn Michaels went over Ricky Steamboat (both A-rated matches), Bam Bam went over Andre in a B+ cage match (I gave this too much time and poor Andre gassed hard :smith:), and Jim Duggan put "The Dean Machine" Malenko over in a B match.

It was by far the best card I've ever put on.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Davros1 posted:

Playing 2K16 Universe since they put the patch in, and when I had a steel cage match, the prompt to select a player or just watch didn't appear, so it was CPU vs CPU. Thanks 2K!

If you set up the match yourself, rather than starting a match the AI booked, you pick the wrestler you control at the Wrestler select menu rather than right before the match starts. On the other hand, this lets you do pre-match attacks.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you
Huh I just had an event happen in TEW2013 that I've never seen before

In my WCW 96 game, Eddie Guerrero suddenly went off to shoot a movie. His popularity shot up from 70 to 100.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

triplexpac posted:

Huh I just had an event happen in TEW2013 that I've never seen before

In my WCW 96 game, Eddie Guerrero suddenly went off to shoot a movie. His popularity shot up from 70 to 100.

That's the greatest loving event to get outside of a female worker doing a photoshoot for a magazine. Both give massive jumps to pop & star quality but the photoshoot also generally maxes out sex appeal.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

remusclaw posted:

If you set up the match yourself, rather than starting a match the AI booked, you pick the wrestler you control at the Wrestler select menu rather than right before the match starts. On the other hand, this lets you do pre-match attacks.

Unfortunately, doing this will mess up a Rivalry.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
Is it possible in 2k16 MyCareer to get myself in a tag team with my friend's CAW who's there because of MyCareer Invasion? I've acted as a manager and helped him win twice now, but I don't get any prompts about a tag team. Is it just limited to existing wrestlers?

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Negative, MyCareer always displays the standard current roster as of the game's release. I don't think that includes imported workers. The only involvement I can think of for imported workers (beyond fodder for nothing matches) is use in a premade storyline ala the Wrestlemania in 2k15, but I don't know if there is one that would qualify.

TEW2k16 feature rollout has continued apace. Along with the as-mentioned addition of wrestler's courts* and travelling alliance belts ala the NWA championship, it's been announced that the AI will have the ability to form its own alliances, based on numerous factors. There's also a neat QOL addition in the expansion of picture files that can be used by the game. More interestingly to most people will be that providing the game with a picture that has transparent elements will fill in those transparent elements with a standard background. This'll help a lot with the visual consistency of the game and make adding new worker portraits much less time-intensive.

Also: Are you tired of Chris Hero always getting injured because every mid-sized indie in the game has signed him? Well tire no more. In TEW2016 all workers will have a "home region" where they live. This is because in TEW2016, the cost of traveling will be calculated. The farther your fed is from the home region of a worker, the greater the cost of bringing her to your show. This is meant to add realism - small feds will now rely much more heavily on local workers and only bring in a handful of Names to draw.** Some actions (signing exclusive written contracts, for example) can provoke a worker into changing their home region.

The other little tidbit is that you now have the option of having the game record its history in the manner of Dwarf Fortress - you can set the AI to write worker bios`for you and it will give a brief rundown of relevant facts (who the worker is under contract with, who she ran with in the past, belts she's won, etc).

* One thing not already mentioned is that in the post for Wrestler's Courts, Ryland strongly suggests that the player's engagement with their backstage is going to be majorly fleshed out and that the Courts will tie in with other, more major mechanics yet to be revealed.

** On its face this seems a cool and practical way to make indies resemble their IRL counterparts. But especially in a mod balanced the way Cpt. Charisma's were, this would probably make it incredibly difficult to run a profitable, growing fed outside of the American Southeast, the Canadian H(e)artland or California.

Basic Chunnel fucked around with this message at 09:06 on Feb 8, 2016

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

Oh dear god, NewLegacyInc are running a Valentines Couples tournament in Fire Pro Returns. The best match of round 1 so far has to be Buff & Judy Bagwell vs Heidenreich & Michael Cole

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Not technically Rowdy Ringsports, but their Puppy Bowl simulation was very funny. Catch it if you have 30 minutes to kill.

A fan of theirs has recorded and is editing a 100 man NewLegacy all stars (OC and fan favourites like Jervis Cottonbelly) royal rumble in MDickie's Wrestling Revolution. Not sure when they're going to stream that, but it's going to be amazing.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

Basic Chunnel posted:

TEW2k16 feature rollout has continued apace.

Thanks for the update, I forget to check the TEW forum.

TEW13 was the only one that hooked me, I found the earlier games too complex. '13 is a nice balance of more features than EWR, but not overwhelming. I'm hoping that the announcements for '16 slow down on new features, and give us more QOL improvements over 13... otherwise it will get really bloated and annoying.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

I was on the fence about TEW 2016.
Then I got a new comp (well, mostly new) and realized that I either left the license to TEW 2013 in an e-mail tied to an ISP I no longer have access to, or in a folder on a hard drive that will likely have to be wiped.

So now I really want TEW 2016 to come out.

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!

ChrisBTY posted:

I was on the fence about TEW 2016.
Then I got a new comp (well, mostly new) and realized that I either left the license to TEW 2013 in an e-mail tied to an ISP I no longer have access to, or in a folder on a hard drive that will likely have to be wiped.

So now I really want TEW 2016 to come out.

Oh poo poo. I was supposed to keep that?

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

CapitalistPig posted:

Oh poo poo. I was supposed to keep that?

If you still have the email then you'll be fine.

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!

Testekill posted:

If you still have the email then you'll be fine.

Oh good, I'm sure I still do considering I never delete anything and have like 6200 emails in my inbox.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

CapitalistPig posted:

Oh good, I'm sure I still do considering I never delete anything and have like 6200 emails in my inbox.

Haha I had to dig out my old key, it wasn't too hard actually. I also keep every email.

The trick is remembering to deactivate your current copy before you format your computer or something.

gently caress I hate their DRM, I really wish there was a competitor I could support.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Basically I realized a little too late that using my ISP e-mail as my principle e-mail was a big mistake and I took steps to rectify the error.
But for whatever reason, even though I had the gmail account I use for that stuff now at the time I bought the game, I must have used the ISP e-mail because there's no sign of the e-mail in my inbox even though I don't delete e-mails either and would have later e-mails sent there once I joined their forums a few months later.

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!

JBL posted:

"The potted plant's over"

Man it sure is!!

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

CapitalistPig posted:

Man it sure is!!

Somewhere, HHH just started salivating and he's not sure why

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

"Size: Very Small
Push: Main Eventer"

Hey, something's a little fishy about this image.

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!

Josuke Higashikata posted:

"Size: Very Small
Push: Main Eventer"

Hey, something's a little fishy about this image.

He's super ripped and beefy for a plant.

Fat Lowtax
Nov 9, 2008

"I'm willing to pay up to $1200 for a big anime titty"

I was able to get them to reset my key after I told them my laptop got stolen. I'm sure they'll do it for you if you ask, it's hard to expect everyone to remember to deregister their three year old wrestling spreadsheet game before changing machines, running system restores etc.

With a niche product that would stand to lose a lot from piracy, I actually don't blame them for their DRM.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

It would be awesome if there was a way to run the game on two different computers without having to log in and out with the key, but I get it.

I had lost my key at one point and I had no real problem getting help from them. So the system works fine. Its just that minor annoyance that makes the game very stationary. In this day and age with all the app games people play as time killers through the day it would be nice to be able to just pull up TEW on my work computer for 15 minutes to kill some time and then get back to work.

But ah well.