Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

My Offa game continues. Offa himself died after 35 years in which he expanded Mercia by a whole county, so he got to be known as Offa the Old.

His son Ecfrith was much more accomplished; he finished off his father's lingering wars, turned Mercia into a kingdom in its own right and generally kept the treasury overflowing with cash when he wasn't engaged in large scale building works. For this 30 year reign of prosperity and (internal) peace, he became known as Ecfrith the Ill-Ruler.

Offa's grandson Beornthelm was mightier still. During a 40-year reign he brought every duchy of England under the Mercian banner, turned the entire of Wales into tributaries, made deep inroads into Scotland, repelled heathen invaders and was well liked even by his political enemies. Beornthelm the Drunkard died while planning the annexation of Deheubarth that would have allowed him to form a new empire, thanking Christ that a few years before he had passed out before he could rape his ten year old granddaughter. :stonk:

The new ruler, Aelfsige, is a Strong Genius Brilliant Strategist with three Genius kids who has already crushed a major revolt and made further gains in Wales and Scotland with an option on starting the conquest of Ireland. He will almost certainly unify Brittania in his lifetime. I fully expect him to acquire the sobriquet Aelfsige the Complete oval office and die choking to death on his horse's prick while sodomising his youngest son's corpse. It's just the way this game is going.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013

Empress Theonora posted:

Have the changes to to gender law/the status of women mechanic made it so that women can actually rule Muslim realms? How about merchant republics?
Sort of.

For muslims, it does unlock AgCog at Notable and AbsCog at Full, so you can switch to those. And the UI for matrilineal marriages is unlocked if you switch to AgCog or AbsCog, however, you can't click send. So you can end up with a female ruler, just can't mat-marry.

For republics, nada.

This should be moddable btw. I had female-lead republic houses last patch when they unlocked governments. Dunno about the muslim mat-marry block though.

lurksion fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Feb 9, 2016

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
Is there a particular reason why republics have been hard-coded to be more sexist than any other form of government?

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013

GunnerJ posted:

Is there a particular reason why republics have been hard-coded to be more sexist than any other form of government?
Probably nothing too intentional, its just how the various flags and stuff fall out. There was hearsay that there was concern about patrician houses ending up screwed up if they mat-married each other, but I don't think thats a problem since patrician house death is handled already.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
Apparently you can have female-led merchant republics via modding. Someone on the pdox forums mentioned it.

I'll try to find the thread when I get to my computer that is actually logged into their forums.

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

Apparently you can have female-led merchant republics via modding. Someone on the pdox forums mentioned it.

I'll try to find the thread when I get to my computer that is actually logged into their forums.
Yep starting in 2.4

lurksion posted:

You can enable matri marriages for republics now, just flip the switch in the government definition file. Of course, AI patricians generally won't use it.

If you want female ruled republics, you have to modify a few more things
- enable gender laws in government definition
- edit the gender laws so that they're available to pick

Then you can have female patricians, though the UI will bug out and will always display what would have been your male heir. However, succession does work correctly and will go to a female heir if appropriate. Also, might want to edit titles so you can hand out designated heir to females as well.

And again, the AI generally won't use that.

lurksion fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Feb 9, 2016

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

lurksion posted:

Sort of.

For muslims, it does unlock AgCog at Notable and AbsCog at Full, so you can switch to those. And the UI for matrilineal marriages is unlocked if you switch to AgCog or AbsCog, however, you can't click send. So you can end up with a female ruler, just can't mat-marry.

Seems like that should probably be fixed, since it means that as a Muslim you can end up in a situation where you're guaranteed a game over even though you haven't really done anything wrong.

It's probably just an oversight in the rules for matri-marriage - I'd imagine even if the UI element is unlocked it probably has a hard block like NOT religion = Muslim coded into the matri-marriage decision itself.

GunnerJ posted:

The explanation I've heard is basically that they don't know how to handle the situation where two great house leaders marry, or even worse two Doges of different Republics. It's not so much that it's impossible to resolve that situation, it's just that the game currently doesn't have anything specifically handling it even though it would absolutely need special handling to avoid a whole host of bugs (you've probably seen the bug in the past where somehow one MR absorbs another and you end up with a messed up Republic tab with like 8 great houses on it going right off the edge of the UI).

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Seems like that should probably be fixed, since it means that as a Muslim you can end up in a situation where you're guaranteed a game over even though you haven't really done anything wrong.

It's probably just an oversight in the rules for matri-marriage - I'd imagine even if the UI element is unlocked it probably has a hard block like NOT religion = Muslim coded into the matri-marriage decision itself.

The explanation I've heard is basically that they don't know how to handle the situation where two great house leaders marry, or even worse two Doges of different Republics. It's not so much that it's impossible to resolve that situation, it's just that the game currently doesn't have anything specifically handling it even though it would absolutely need special handling to avoid a whole host of bugs (you've probably seen the bug in the past where somehow one MR absorbs another and you end up with a messed up Republic tab with like 8 great houses on it going right off the edge of the UI).

I forget how, but a few patches ago when I formed a Reformed Norse Scandinavian Merchant Republic it had 7 Great Houses just forever, that was pretty weird. No idea how it happened, I reformed out of Tribal and never absorbed another MR or anything.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
That sort of thing could happen if there were multiple republics inside a realm and one of them managed to get the top title, I think. All the houses get collapsed into one Republic title.

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Tanks are kinda wasted on invading the USSR

Empress Theonora posted:

Have the changes to to gender law/the status of women mechanic made it so that women can actually rule Muslim realms? How about merchant republics?

I believe it does stuff for Muslims but for instance Republics are completely hard coded all over the place to rely on men. So I decided to not completely wreck the entire game code base just so the Republic government works with women as well.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

quote:

but for instance Republics are completely hard coded all over the place to rely on men.

Why was it done so?

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Tanks are kinda wasted on invading the USSR

Bloodly posted:

Why was it done so?

Because at the time we didn't have governments as a separate entities from titles so there were literally no way before to check what should be permitted. So simply put it became "If male courtier of same dynasty, increase amount of trade posts", etc. etc.
Essentially it is all a case of Captain Hindsight.

This is also why everything since then has much more flexibility and more potential for modders to work with.

Yashichi
Oct 22, 2010
You can mostly play female-led republics via modding, the only real issue is that the designated heir title doesn't work properly when you give it to women. I imagine it's one of those hard coded issues.

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013

Yashichi posted:

You can mostly play female-led republics via modding, the only real issue is that the designated heir title doesn't work properly when you give it to women. I imagine it's one of those hard coded issues.
As I noted above, you can mod the designated heir title to allow women. And it works though the UI won't always reflect that correctly (sometimes wrong election prestige listed, sometimes wrong heir listed). On death though, the correct women will inherit.

Yashichi
Oct 22, 2010

lurksion posted:

As I noted above, you can mod the designated heir title to allow women. And it works though the UI won't always reflect that correctly (sometimes wrong election prestige listed, sometimes wrong heir listed). On death though, the correct women will inherit.

I know you can mod it to allow women but it didn't work correctly when I tried it, old dudes/women kept inheriting instead of the designated heir. Maybe I'll give it another shot.

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013

Yashichi posted:

I know you can mod it to allow women but it didn't work correctly when I tried it, old dudes/women kept inheriting instead of the designated heir. Maybe I'll give it another shot.
This was in 2.4, where I played like 200 years of this. Haven't tried in 2.5 yet, so maybe something changed/broke.

EmbryoSteve
Dec 18, 2004

Taste~The~Rainbow

My blood sugar is gon' be like

~^^^^*WHOA*^^^^~

So I picked this game up on a steam sale and after some birthing pains I'm having a pretty good run as a Norse pagan tribal king. I started as haldr fairhair(I think) and I've conquered half of Finland and formed the kingdom of norway. I stsrted in the viking age and I'm about 100 years in and things are getting a little out of hand.

I have a few questions though about succession and income.

I subjugated the kingdom of danemark but when the king who did it died it passed to my cousin(who is in my dynasty) and out of the kingdom. Now I'm going to have to subjugate it again which is annoying cause when that king suddenly died I was hearing up to subjugate Swedena and my best commander was from danemark. I have a strong claim on danemark. Can I just be like "come back to the fold" or do I have to conquer it? Also can I destroy a title of king so that it doesn't pass again? And how can I make my nominations for hier stonger so I have more say in who is picked?

When it comes to income how do I get it above 1.11 a month or whatever. That almost covers my monthly expenses when at war but I literally make all my money ransoming prisoners from my perpetual forever wars and raiding with my neighbors. While that is cool and good I have no idea how to get regular income up. Is forever war and prisoners just be how pagan Norse roll?

Also my first king had literally 6 or 7 kids. 4 boys and I made them jarls and such and they all had a poo poo load of kids. The jarls have been fighting a little bit but i approve. I've only had to put one in their place But now when I try to marry off daughters or sons the majority of people in my region I'm related to! Does incest have negative effects?

Any other basic first time tips would also be appreciated.

Darth Llama
Aug 13, 2004

EmbryoSteve posted:

When it comes to income how do I get it above 1.11 a month or whatever. That almost covers my monthly expenses when at war but I literally make all my money ransoming prisoners from my perpetual forever wars and raiding with my neighbors. While that is cool and good I have no idea how to get regular income up. Is forever war and prisoners just be how pagan Norse roll?

I'm playing a similar game in Sweden, so let me tell you a couple of things that work for me.

#1: Raid your rear end off. If I'm not in war or needing my levies to replenish, I'm raiding for gold.

#2: Early on in my game, my income is up to about 2.4/mo just from upgrading my tribal holdings (3) with small markets, etc. Look at those and mouse over, and it will tell you what upgrades each one offers. The first market in a tribal holding is really cheap, like 37ish gold or so. After that you'll see the upgrade path able able to keep upgrading.

#3: Save a few prisoners for any blots, but otherwise I will ransom them all (unless I know they'll cause trouble for some reason, like ambitious relatives).

Regarding the loss of titles, you will always lose a kingdom if you have multiples under any kind of gavelkind (unless you only have a single heir). If you can get to an empire, you can go through succession without those kingdoms passing out of your realm. You'll keep one under gavelkind, but you also get to keep the empire title above it.

As far as destroying them, I'm not sure in Conclave because I think it is tied to realm laws (and other factors?) as to when you can destroy titles.

George Sex - REAL
Dec 1, 2005

Bisssssssexual
Has anyone had much success with player created mercenary companies? I remember seeing the option in my last play through and creating it. I didn't notice any large interactions beside the decision to give it more troops whenever they asked. I'm uncertain if that has any effect from a gameplay perspective beyond the small tax on levies and a supposed but unnoticed boost in income.

Also, in my current game, for some reason I don't have the option to create a mercenary company. The interaction just doesn't exist. It's not even grayed out, it's just gone.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Dorkopotamis posted:

Also, in my current game, for some reason I don't have the option to create a mercenary company. The interaction just doesn't exist. It's not even grayed out, it's just gone.

One thing you may have missed: the interaction only appears when being used on a courtier with a martial education. Have you been trying it on different people?

Maximum Tomfoolery
Apr 12, 2010

What the gently caress are you doing, France?

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
My Amalfi run got way better last night. Lombardy converted to Lollardism, also the Fraticelli Papacy got in place in Rome somehow (before getting conquered by a Norse adventurer), dropping Catholicism's MA to 0% and triggering crusades 200 years early. A crusade was called to free Lombardy from the tyranny of the Lollard Lombards (but not the Fraticelli Pope in Rome, funnily enough) and the crusade was won by the Knights Hospitalier. The Grandmaster gave every single county in Former Lombardy its own count, leaving himself with just one province in Eastern Europe, which was where he had been before winning the Crusade. Only about a year later, that province was conquered by some pagan in a war against the Knights, which meant...... the Knights Hospitalier completely disbanded and all of Italy turned into independent one-province counts.

Needless to say, I now control about half of Italy. A Norse adventurer is in the process of conquering the upper half, as well, which is going to make taking it way easier since instead of fabbing claims against every single count I can just Holy War that one guy.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

Maximum Tomfoolery posted:

Trying desperately to survive as a thing?

George Sex - REAL
Dec 1, 2005

Bisssssssexual

Dallan Invictus posted:

One thing you may have missed: the interaction only appears when being used on a courtier with a martial education. Have you been trying it on different people?

I have. After switching from tribal to republic government type the option just vanished.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

What France? :smug:

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

EmbryoSteve posted:

So I picked this game up on a steam sale and after some birthing pains I'm having a pretty good run as a Norse pagan tribal king. I started as haldr fairhair(I think) and I've conquered half of Finland and formed the kingdom of norway. I stsrted in the viking age and I'm about 100 years in and things are getting a little out of hand.

I have a few questions though about succession and income.

I subjugated the kingdom of danemark but when the king who did it died it passed to my cousin(who is in my dynasty) and out of the kingdom. Now I'm going to have to subjugate it again which is annoying cause when that king suddenly died I was hearing up to subjugate Swedena and my best commander was from danemark. I have a strong claim on danemark. Can I just be like "come back to the fold" or do I have to conquer it? Also can I destroy a title of king so that it doesn't pass again? And how can I make my nominations for hier stonger so I have more say in who is picked?

Also my first king had literally 6 or 7 kids. 4 boys and I made them jarls and such and they all had a poo poo load of kids. The jarls have been fighting a little bit but i approve. I've only had to put one in their place But now when I try to marry off daughters or sons the majority of people in my region I'm related to! Does incest have negative effects?

Any other basic first time tips would also be appreciated.

I really, really like that the default start date is now 1066 again, because the two earlier ones are traps that people new to the game should avoid.

Anyway, you are playing a pagan religion (Germanic), which is stuck with elective gavelkind. Under gavelkind, you cannot destroy any titles whatsoever. You will always lose the kingdoms that are not Norway on succession. You get a strong claim, which means you can just declare war on your brother/cousin/uncle or whoever inherited Denmark to take it back.

Once you manage to form Scandinavia, at least on succession your family members that inherit Denmark, Sweden or Finland will remain your vassals. Your ultimate goal is to either convert to a "normal" religion (realistically, to either Catholic or Orthodox), or to reform your faith. Unfortunately, as long as you are tribal, you are still stuck in gavelkind, but with a normal or reformed religion you can at least adopt feudalism once you've built up your capital. Once you are finally no longer pagan and tribal, you can change your inheritance. In the early game it's probably best to go with elective. Put your longer term goal should probably be to switch to primogeniture or ultimogeniture succession.

As for your low income, you are playing a tribal character, so you will always have very lovely income. Raiding and ransoming people captured in raids are the only really viable sources of income you have. This will get much better once you've adopted feudalism and stop being tribal. At least you are playing vikings and get shipyards for free, poor Suomenusko or Romuva or Slavic pagans have it much worse.

And yes, incest has negative effects. There's even an inbred trait, giving you -5 to all stats. But if the prospective bride only shares like the great-grandfather with her potential husband, then she's not really a close relative, so marrying her should be fine.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Is there any way not involving deep magic to destroy the HRE title in the 1066 start? Because the HRE is the main thing preventing 1066 from being the best start. I would find it far more fun if it were divvied up into its component kingdoms.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Torrannor posted:

I really, really like that the default start date is now 1066 again, because the two earlier ones are traps that people new to the game should avoid.

Anyway, you are playing a pagan religion (Germanic), which is stuck with elective gavelkind. Under gavelkind, you cannot destroy any titles whatsoever. You will always lose the kingdoms that are not Norway on succession. You get a strong claim, which means you can just declare war on your brother/cousin/uncle or whoever inherited Denmark to take it back.

Once you manage to form Scandinavia, at least on succession your family members that inherit Denmark, Sweden or Finland will remain your vassals. Your ultimate goal is to either convert to a "normal" religion (realistically, to either Catholic or Orthodox), or to reform your faith. Unfortunately, as long as you are tribal, you are still stuck in gavelkind, but with a normal or reformed religion you can at least adopt feudalism once you've built up your capital. Once you are finally no longer pagan and tribal, you can change your inheritance. In the early game it's probably best to go with elective. Put your longer term goal should probably be to switch to primogeniture or ultimogeniture succession.

As for your low income, you are playing a tribal character, so you will always have very lovely income. Raiding and ransoming people captured in raids are the only really viable sources of income you have. This will get much better once you've adopted feudalism and stop being tribal. At least you are playing vikings and get shipyards for free, poor Suomenusko or Romuva or Slavic pagans have it much worse.

And yes, incest has negative effects. There's even an inbred trait, giving you -5 to all stats. But if the prospective bride only shares like the great-grandfather with her potential husband, then she's not really a close relative, so marrying her should be fine.

Romuva really are not that bad since you can raid poland and the russians over and over again and they are easy to reform as soon as you form Lithuania.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

It's right over there, next to Bohemia and Poland. What's the matter with you, forget where France is?

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

Eric the Mauve posted:

Is there any way not involving deep magic to destroy the HRE title in the 1066 start? Because the HRE is the main thing preventing 1066 from being the best start. I would find it far more fun if it were divvied up into its component kingdoms.

It would be rad if there was some sort of mechanic exclusive to the HRE that made it less centralized. Something like how EU4 makes it function.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Eric the Mauve posted:

The easiest way I've found to destroy emperor titles is to use the console to give the title to another emperor, then console to that emperor. Then you can destroy it since it's not his primary title. Then grant all the HREs vassals independence and you're good.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT
There are two changes that I think really need to be made to moral authority vis-a-vis religions with heads.

One, the moral authority bonus from the piety of the head needs to be capped somewhere. Maybe 10%, or 20% on the outside.
Two, the piety bonus from your dynasty controlling the head position shouldn't be given to the head himself, as that doesn't really make sense.

Because stuff like this is fairly ridiculous:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Groogy posted:

Because at the time we didn't have governments as a separate entities from titles so there were literally no way before to check what should be permitted. So simply put it became "If male courtier of same dynasty, increase amount of trade posts", etc. etc.
Essentially it is all a case of Captain Hindsight.

This is also why everything since then has much more flexibility and more potential for modders to work with.

Are there any plans to go back and externalize more of that stuff now that a framework exists? Or is it just a "Crusader Kings 3" thing at this point?

David Corbett
Feb 6, 2008

Courage, my friends; 'tis not too late to build a better world.

Groogy posted:

The Charlemagne stuff is going to be fixed but HRE taking ERE was not inheriting, it was through cheat a claim to the entire Empire which will no matter what generate ton of Infamy(this is WAD). Inheritance generate a lot lot lot less. There is also the matter of that you do not get infamy above 100%, which means it will decay from 100% no matter how much infamy you actually generated. So you will never have an amount where you will have infamy capped for hundreds of years unless you keep conquering for hundreds of years.

If you actually play the game without cheating and actually experience the system (bar the Charlemagne problems) it isn't anything like what is acclaimed.

It feels a bit excessive to me. I just took a duchy held by heretics as the Roman Empire, and this was enough to push me over 100% infamy and lead to literally every non-revolt realm outside of India (with the exception of my allies in Pannonia) ganging up on me in a coalition. It was odd to see my fellow Orthodox rulers making common cause with Muslims and Vikings to defend the remaining Catholics.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Forget France, what the gently caress is Pomerania up to?

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Please, that France is nothing:

Maximum Tomfoolery
Apr 12, 2010

loving borders, how do they work?

Is this normal now? After earliest start date, currently 929.

Deceitful Penguin posted:

Forget France, what the gently caress is Pomerania up to?

They're on the left of this screenshot too.

Edit: gently caress

Maximum Tomfoolery fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Feb 10, 2016

Orbs
Apr 1, 2009
~Liberation~
As a key member of the Ugly Borders faction, these screenshots make me indescribably happy. Keep 'em coming please.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

loving borders, how do they work?

Eastern Europe always goes to poo poo, the only really surprise here is the Avars still controlling Pannonia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Slavs hate borders. They all marry each other and shred each others realms to pieces.

• Locked thread