Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy

THC posted:

how long has this complaint been outdated. 6, 7 years? this was only a problem with the original, non-unibody MBPs

I don't even

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

theultimo posted:

Unibody is worse FYI the fan isn't powerful enough and apple underclocks

having owned both: you are wrong. again. FYI

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

quick reminder: good trolling isn't just saying "i don't even" or outright lying about things

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy
I'm not trolling :shrug:

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

An RSS feed bot who makes questionable purchasing decisions.
Pillbug

THC posted:

having owned both: you are wrong. again. FYI

Having owned both, stfu

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7107448?start=0&tstart=0

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

lol op doesnt even say his machine overheats, he's just asking if it's safe to play games on it (it is)

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

also lol @ playig bideo james on a laptop or any other computer

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
nah i am going to go sit down at the hipster cafe with you instead

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

THC posted:

also lol @ playig bideo james on a laptop or any other computer

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

Pillbug
http://www.latimes.com/business/hiltzik/la-fi-mh-apple-users-really-hate-apple-software-20160208-column.html

There always have been two great virtues in Apple's policy of keeping the development of hardware and core software in-house: their seamless integration with each other and their quality.

Lately, however, these virtues have started to disappear. The last few weeks have seen an explosion of discontent with the quality of the core apps of Apple's iPhones, iPads and Mac computers -- not only its OS X and iOS operating systems, but programs and services such as iTunes, Music, iCloud and Photos. Not only do the programs work poorly for many users, but they don't link Apple devices together as reliably as they should. These complaints aren't coming merely from users but several widely followed tech commentators who used to fit reliably in the category of Apple fans.

Walt Mossberg, for one. As a technology reviewer at the Wall Street Journal and subsequently co-founder of the tech news site Re/code, Mossberg consistently rallied in favor of Apple products. Steve Jobs reportedly once slammed a problem-plagued rollout of a new service by shouting, "Mossberg, our friend, is no longer writing good things about us."

But just last week, Mossberg pointed to "a gradual degradation in the quality and reliability of Apple’s core apps." He fingered iTunes for the desktop ("I dread opening the thing"), and the Mail, Photos, and iCloud programs. Not even Mossberg could get a cogent response from Apple, which told him: "We have dedicated software teams across multiple platforms. The effort is as strong there as it has ever been."

Veteran Apple-watchers John Gruber and Jim Dalrymple have joined the chorus. General tech consumer sites such as Engadget have taken notice that Apple has been pushing new apps that consumers don't want or use, while its traditional programs have yielded to better offerings by non-Apple developers. "Raise your hand if you have a folder on your iPhone full of native Apple apps you never use ... yup, that's a lot of you," Engadget's Nathan Ingraham wrote last week. "Now raise your hand if you use iCloud Mail, iCloud Drive or the default iOS Notes or Reminders apps instead of third-party options like Gmail, Dropbox, Wunderlist, Evernote and so on. Not nearly as many of you are raising your hand this time."

Conjectures about why Apple can't get its software act together abound. The most common is that the company has become so trapped in its cycle of annual hardware upgrades -- a new iPhone had better appear every September, or else -- that it's simply incapable of keeping its software maintained. Programmer Marco Arment, in a widely-read comment last year, speculated that "the rapid decline of Apple’s software is a sign that marketing is too high a priority at Apple today: having major new releases every year is clearly impossible for the engineering teams to keep up with while maintaining quality. ... They’re doing too much, with unrealistic deadlines."

Others wonder if Apple isn't running into the same problem that bedeviled its arch-rival Microsoft for years: It's building new functions on top of an outdated core, rather than scrapping the core and rebuilding from scratch. This process turned Microsoft Windows into a barnacled monstrosity, and the same thing could be happening with OS X and iOS.

Programming veterans know that turning out glitch-free software can be the most onerous task in any organization. IBM project manager Frederick Brooks showed in his classic 1975 book, "The Mythical Man-Month," that adding manpower to a software project only slowed it down, and the search for a "silver bullet" to improve software productivity was fruitless.

It's doubtful that Apple's millions of devoted users, locked into its interoperable ecosystem of Macs, iPhones, and iPads, will think about abandoning the company any time soon. But new phone, tablet, and laptop customers may be taking a closer look at alternatives, including Google Android-powered units as well as Microsoft devices, than they might have only a couple of years ago.

The risk for Apple is that, hounded into keeping its hardware products secure at the top of the consumer pyramid, its reputation is changing from a company whose software "just works" (as Steve Jobs used to declare) to one that just doesn't give a drat.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 12 days!
"Raise your hand if you have a folder on your iPhone full of native Apple apps you never use ... yup, that's a lot of you," Engadget's Nathan Ingraham wrote last week. "Now raise your hand if you use iCloud Mail, iCloud Drive or the default iOS Notes or Reminders apps instead of third-party options like Gmail, Dropbox, Wunderlist, Evernote and so on. Not nearly as many of you are raising your hand this time."

lol

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

Pillbug
http://macperformanceguide.com/AppleCoreRot-intro.html

* OS X is degrading into a base for an entertainment platform. As it stands, the trend is entirely downhill for serious work (albeit a mild grade so far, but steadily downhill nonetheless).

* Core operating system quality is declining as resources are diverted to software development in more profitable lines: iPhone, iPad, iHaveNoRealWorkToDo products. Apple forgets its history and leaves it core professional base twisting in the wind.

* We begin to tread in dangerous territory: potential data loss in some cases due to haphazard design and apparently no testing in key areas outside a very narrow scope of usage (“who would make any changes to the awesome setup for novices that we Apple Geniuses provide?”).

* So-called OS X “upgrades” now consist largely of ill-conceived dilettante eye-candy features that reduce usability, clutter the user interface and introduce scads of new bugs. No true upgrades have occurred for at least two major releases.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 12 days!
i know literally no people who ever use anything other than built in notes and reminders. i know a couple of people who use dropbox and gmail apps alongside icloud and mail, and the latter is only because gmail is loving poo poo.

its an actual strawman argument, hes even making up being in a room of people agreeing with him in his article. epic. love it. long live timb.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 12 days!

theultimo posted:

http://macperformanceguide.com/AppleCoreRot-intro.html

* OS X is degrading into a base for an entertainment platform. As it stands, the trend is entirely downhill for serious work (albeit a mild grade so far, but steadily downhill nonetheless).

completely untrue

quote:

* Core operating system quality is declining as resources are diverted to software development in more profitable lines: iPhone, iPad, iHaveNoRealWorkToDo products. Apple forgets its history and leaves it core professional base twisting in the wind.

el capitan is literally the best iteration of osx ever made by a long shot.

quote:

* We begin to tread in dangerous territory: potential data loss in some cases due to haphazard design and apparently no testing in key areas outside a very narrow scope of usage (“who would make any changes to the awesome setup for novices that we Apple Geniuses provide?”).

made up data loss, made up lack of testing, more outright lies

quote:

* So-called OS X “upgrades” now consist largely of ill-conceived dilettante eye-candy features that reduce usability, clutter the user interface and introduce scads of new bugs. No true upgrades have occurred for at least two major releases.

the last two upgrades were a combo of features, bug fixes and a massive reduction in clutter and increases in usability

this is a list of things that looks like someone who has never used osx in their life wrote

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Stux posted:

i know literally no people who ever use anything other than built in notes and reminders.

The people you know, who are fictional - have aids

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Stux posted:

completely untrue

el capitan is literally the best iteration of osx ever made by a long shot.

made up data loss, made up lack of testing, more outright lies

the last two upgrades were a combo of features, bug fixes and a massive reduction in clutter and increases in usability

this is a list of things that looks like someone who has never used osx in their life wrote

Nice meltdown

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 12 days!
lol that article was written during mountain lion lmao

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

Pillbug

Stux posted:

lol that article was written during mountain lion lmao

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Stux..... more like sux

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I use the Inbox app instead of Mail, and Google instead of Siri or Search or whatever the gently caress its called.

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

echinopsis posted:

Stux..... more like sux

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Larry Parrish posted:

I use the Inbox app instead of Mail, and Google instead of Siri or Search or whatever the gently caress its called.

and it looks like theres a native google keep app now so i dont have to use the reminders app

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

theultimo posted:

http://www.latimes.com/business/hiltzik/la-fi-mh-apple-users-really-hate-apple-software-20160208-column.html

There always have been two great virtues in Apple's policy of keeping the development of hardware and core software in-house: their seamless integration with each other and their quality.

Lately, however, these virtues have started to disappear. The last few weeks have seen an explosion of discontent with the quality of the core apps of Apple's iPhones, iPads and Mac computers -- not only its OS X and iOS operating systems, but programs and services such as iTunes, Music, iCloud and Photos. Not only do the programs work poorly for many users, but they don't link Apple devices together as reliably as they should. These complaints aren't coming merely from users but several widely followed tech commentators who used to fit reliably in the category of Apple fans.

Walt Mossberg, for one. As a technology reviewer at the Wall Street Journal and subsequently co-founder of the tech news site Re/code, Mossberg consistently rallied in favor of Apple products. Steve Jobs reportedly once slammed a problem-plagued rollout of a new service by shouting, "Mossberg, our friend, is no longer writing good things about us."

But just last week, Mossberg pointed to "a gradual degradation in the quality and reliability of Apple’s core apps." He fingered iTunes for the desktop ("I dread opening the thing"), and the Mail, Photos, and iCloud programs. Not even Mossberg could get a cogent response from Apple, which told him: "We have dedicated software teams across multiple platforms. The effort is as strong there as it has ever been."

Veteran Apple-watchers John Gruber and Jim Dalrymple have joined the chorus. General tech consumer sites such as Engadget have taken notice that Apple has been pushing new apps that consumers don't want or use, while its traditional programs have yielded to better offerings by non-Apple developers. "Raise your hand if you have a folder on your iPhone full of native Apple apps you never use ... yup, that's a lot of you," Engadget's Nathan Ingraham wrote last week. "Now raise your hand if you use iCloud Mail, iCloud Drive or the default iOS Notes or Reminders apps instead of third-party options like Gmail, Dropbox, Wunderlist, Evernote and so on. Not nearly as many of you are raising your hand this time."

Conjectures about why Apple can't get its software act together abound. The most common is that the company has become so trapped in its cycle of annual hardware upgrades -- a new iPhone had better appear every September, or else -- that it's simply incapable of keeping its software maintained. Programmer Marco Arment, in a widely-read comment last year, speculated that "the rapid decline of Apple’s software is a sign that marketing is too high a priority at Apple today: having major new releases every year is clearly impossible for the engineering teams to keep up with while maintaining quality. ... They’re doing too much, with unrealistic deadlines."

Others wonder if Apple isn't running into the same problem that bedeviled its arch-rival Microsoft for years: It's building new functions on top of an outdated core, rather than scrapping the core and rebuilding from scratch. This process turned Microsoft Windows into a barnacled monstrosity, and the same thing could be happening with OS X and iOS.

Programming veterans know that turning out glitch-free software can be the most onerous task in any organization. IBM project manager Frederick Brooks showed in his classic 1975 book, "The Mythical Man-Month," that adding manpower to a software project only slowed it down, and the search for a "silver bullet" to improve software productivity was fruitless.

It's doubtful that Apple's millions of devoted users, locked into its interoperable ecosystem of Macs, iPhones, and iPads, will think about abandoning the company any time soon. But new phone, tablet, and laptop customers may be taking a closer look at alternatives, including Google Android-powered units as well as Microsoft devices, than they might have only a couple of years ago.

The risk for Apple is that, hounded into keeping its hardware products secure at the top of the consumer pyramid, its reputation is changing from a company whose software "just works" (as Steve Jobs used to declare) to one that just doesn't give a drat.

none of this is new and people are finally realizing how bad apple software has been all along.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

echinopsis posted:

Stux..... more like sux

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

I will say this flat out: if you own or have owned any Apple product, you are not a logical person and your intelligence is in question.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

carry on then posted:

I will say this flat out: if you own or have owned any Apple product, you are not a logical person and your intelligence is in question.

beep boop corean garbage products are the logical choice I even made a spreadsheet

The Puppet Master
Apr 9, 2005

Would you fuck me? I'd fuck me. I'd fuck me hard.

Shaggar posted:

none of this is new and people are finally realizing how bad apple software has been all along.

"The risk for Apple is that, hounded into keeping its hardware products secure at the top of the consumer pyramid"

It's a business model in the shape of a pyramid. What could go wrong?

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

you tread a fine line

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

http://www.macrumors.com/2016/02/09/belkin-screen-protectors-apple/

lmao

eric
Apr 27, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Nice!

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

lol

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

apply it at home? the apple store person applied the last screen protector to my phone when i bought it

of course that was for my 3gs because that was the last iPhone that really needed one

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die
"i'd like to buy the new iphone"

• do you want the 7, the 7s, or the 7se?
• 16gb or 64gb?
• do you want space grey, white, gold, or neon pink?
• if gold: champagne or rose?
• do you want applecare?
• do you want to buy a new pair of BEATS® since this doesn't have a headphone jack?
• If not, do you want the Adaptor® so you can use your existing headphones (please check compatibility list first)?
• do you want us to stretch plastic all over it?

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I know that when I think of Belkin, I definetly think of high quality

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Polo-Rican posted:

• 16gb or 64gb?
• do you want applecare?
• do you want to buy a new pair of BEATS® since this doesn't have a headphone jack?
• If not, do you want the Adaptor® so you can use your existing headphones (please check compatibility list first)?

apple store turning into best buy way faster than I expected

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
best buy was the original apple store so its more of a reversion

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Polo-Rican posted:

• 16gb or 64gb?
• do you want applecare?

you left out the carrier option

they push apple care but do they push accessories now? last iPhone i bought they just asked "anything else?" after apple care

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

god damnit i keep trying to convince people that these aren't necessary and now they're just gonna go out of their way and endorse it :cripes:

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Polo-Rican posted:

• 16gb or 64gb?
• do you want applecare?

lol @ thinking they're going to push the small phone

that's the grognard/poor option

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

hobbesmaster posted:

you left out the carrier option

they push apple care but do they push accessories now? last iPhone i bought they just asked "anything else?" after apple care

tbh I didn't know anyone bought phones at the apple store. I figured they all got them from their carrier like the commodity they are.

• Locked thread