Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wickerman
Feb 26, 2007

Boom, mothafucka!
Link, my mom did that and actually had success

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Worked out GREAT for the internet, though!

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

pathetic little tramp posted:

Whatever you do, don't interview literally every divorce attorney in town in an attempt to create so much privilege that your partner will be unable to find an attorney. That didn't work out well for a guy on reddit.

Please link this.

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.
Isn't that a plot point from the sopranos

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

quote:

A while back I asked for advice on a good divorce attorney in another sub [He asked in /r/exmormon/]. Someone said:

"You don't have to hire the best or most expensive attorney. You need to consult with the top family attorneys in town. The lawyer cannot represent your ex to be if you've discussed your marriage with them. It's a conflict of interest. Read up on it, there are a few tricks you can pull to help even the playing field"

Based on the advice I got I spent the next few weeks talking with like 30 divorce attorneys in town, so that my wife and her dad would not be able to hire one. I never hired an attorney myself because I could not afford one but my wife found one anyway.

Apparently they found out what I did, probably because it was so hard for her to get an attorney, and today I just got hit with a motion for attorneys fees saying that what I did was abuse of process, an attempt to deprive and interfere with justice, bad faith, and a bunch of other stuff. And that I have to pay part of her attorney fees because I made it more expensive for her.

Is there something I can do to stop this? This is in Utah.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib

KillHour posted:

Please link this.

https://www.reddit.com/r/exmormon/comments/222o70/need_a_good_divorce_attorney_salt_lake_area/

The guy who gives him the advice is long deleted, but you can see people replying to him saying "Oh god no that is bad do not do that"

which led to this:

http://www.reddit.com/r/legaladvice/comments/2cpyke/im_in_some_deep_shit_in_a_divorce/

And that original post is deleted but edit: is above:

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Phil Moscowitz posted:

The willingness and hope for future work may be a motivation but the number one and most significant motivation is to provide legal advice to individuals who likely can't get access to quality legal advice. Pro bono publico if you will.

:)

You're boned even by that standard- the motivation just has to be "significant" to trigger the rule, not the "most significant". Proof seems like the obstacle there.

joat mon posted:

So you are asking "how is leggal avize formed?" But you're asking for a friend!

It's hard to get people switched from thinking tribally (sociologically speaking) to thinking humanistically.

Yes yes, I'm such a groupthinker :rolleyes: :fh:

Anyways, they appear to have "covered themselves" by handing a letter of introduction to the guard at the front of the compound with "ADVERTISING MATERIAL" written at the top. My post to the occupation thread was

Discendo Vox posted:

Dowd's been arrested. This is one of the earlier occupiers. The charges were unrelated to the occupation, a prior theft of a firearm.

I bugged lawgoons about the Arnold law firm's actions in contacting the Bundys during the occupation. It sounds like they covered themselves pretty well from ethics rule violations, although there are still some parts I'm not sure on.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
We had a lawyer from a big divorce firm give a talk at our law school and he told us if we were going to get a divorce, we should totes talk to every lawyer in town first. It's definitely bad advice, but divorce lawyers seem to like giving it.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

My wife and I sat down and discussed how we would split our assets before even talking to a lawyer, and are now using the same lawyer. Because we're both well adjusted adults who aren't trying to cut off our own nose to spite our face. But apparently that's uncommon.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

KillHour posted:

My wife and I sat down and discussed how we would split our assets before even talking to a lawyer, and are now using the same lawyer. Because we're both well adjusted adults who aren't trying to cut off our own nose to spite our face. But apparently that's uncommon.

If people were generally able to resolve their differences reasonably and amicably, I wouldn't have a job.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

blarzgh posted:

If people were generally able to resolve their differences reasonably and amicably, I wouldn't have a job.

Is $1,300 including court fees the cheapest divorce in history? I think it might be.

Ignoring Henry VIII, I mean.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

KillHour posted:

Is $1,300 including court fees the cheapest divorce in history? I think it might be.

Ignoring Henry VIII, I mean.

Some divorce lawyers prey on low-income areas, doing "agreed divorces" for like $150.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

blarzgh posted:

Some divorce lawyers prey on low-income areas, doing "agreed divorces" for like $150.

Are those even legal? Or do they give them some fake "Congratulations, you're divorced!" certificate?

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
I jam through an uncontested divorce every week. $800 no kids, $1200 with kids.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Including filling fees?

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

KillHour posted:

Are those even legal? Or do they give them some fake "Congratulations, you're divorced!" certificate?

If done properly, yes. If you're charging $150, probably not.

edit: The "if done properly" assumes compliance with the rules of disciplinary conduct regarding appropriate representation, and conflicts of interest.

The problem is when the couple starts squabbling, the attorney can find himself representing two clients with disparate interests, and then he's in a conflict.

blarzgh fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Feb 9, 2016

finch in a pinch
Feb 6, 2016

KillHour posted:

When I floated the idea that maybe kids weren't such a great idea considering my depression, he yelled at me for literally four hours. Four solid hours. I'm not comfortable speaking with him about any of this without support and representation.

But I promise I'll take my drama back to EN now...

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

Discendo Vox posted:

You're boned even by that standard- the motivation just has to be "significant" to trigger the rule, not the "most significant". Proof seems like the obstacle there.

Proof certainly is the obstacle, along with what is "significant." I don't know what Oregon considers significant, and I will admit that generally when I've given people free legal services with the hopes of more work in the future, it's because they mentioned it to me first.

But if you can answer "yes" when asked whether you would provide the pro bono services even if you know you will never get any business from it in the future, how can it possibly be a "significant" motivation?

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

finch in a pinch posted:

When I floated the idea that maybe kids weren't such a great idea considering my depression, he yelled at me for literally four hours. Four solid hours. I'm not comfortable speaking with him about any of this without support and representation.

You live in a no fault state, you don't have to prove that he's an rear end in a top hat or abusive or anything. You just have to say 'I don't want to be married anymore' and like Miss Manners says, 'No' is a complete sentence. The law is not for resolving relationship issues, it's for your financials unless you need a restraining order or something.

You should perhaps stop cheating on him until you sort this out since the law people said that will count against you, and work with your therapist on your issues. And maybe we can ALL pledge to keep the EN where it belongs?

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

finch in a pinch posted:

The next time you want to marry someone it's best to have the 'I don't want kids' conversation first.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

My legal advice is to have kids with either the husband or the side guy, but play"guess who" regarding paternity. But I'm a bad lawyer.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Proof certainly is the obstacle, along with what is "significant." I don't know what Oregon considers significant, and I will admit that generally when I've given people free legal services with the hopes of more work in the future, it's because they mentioned it to me first.

But if you can answer "yes" when asked whether you would provide the pro bono services even if you know you will never get any business from it in the future, how can it possibly be a "significant" motivation?

I dunno if it's a but for test or what- absent language I'd think the standard would be lower in normal legal interpretation, but hey, lawyers regulating lawyers. Remember, though, this is specifically in a context where initial contact was them driving up to the compound and handing the dude standing there illegally with a rifle their ADVERTISING MATERIAL. There's another part of the same rule that's apparently Oregon-specific that may come into play:

quote:

A lawyer shall not solicit professional employment by written, recorded or electronic communication or by in-person, telephone or real-time electronic contact even when not otherwise prohibited by paragraph (a), if:

(1) the lawyer knows or reasonably should know that the physical, emotional or mental state of the target of the solicitation is such that the person could not exercise reasonable judgment in employing a lawyer;

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

My legal advice is to have kids with either the husband or the side guy, but play"guess who" regarding paternity. But I'm a bad lawyer.

Why not both?

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

Including filling fees?

Yup. But each of my contracts has a clause that says if you can't agree and I have to do something besides draw up papers, it's a contested divorce and my contract gets renegotiated.

90% are copy and paste work, no joke. And then I can usually up sell them on a will and mpoa.

G-Mawwwwwww fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Feb 10, 2016

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Don't forget the clear coat.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy

sullat posted:

We had a lawyer from a big divorce firm give a talk at our law school and he told us if we were going to get a divorce, we should totes talk to every lawyer in town first. It's definitely bad advice, but divorce lawyers seem to like giving it.

this actually happened on /r/legaladvice

http://theconcourse.deadspin.com/this-is-what-happens-when-you-ask-reddit-for-legal-advi-1619404235

that's what happens when you follow that guy's advice

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

FordPRefectLL posted:

this actually happened on /r/legaladvice

http://theconcourse.deadspin.com/this-is-what-happens-when-you-ask-reddit-for-legal-advi-1619404235

that's what happens when you follow that guy's advice

I know this thread is 540 pages long and all but really you would have just needed to read like ten posts back to have already seen that posted.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
Oops! SALR put me in a weird spot between iPad/PC and it made sense given the context. Sorry.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Forgive my lack of civics education:

A bill (resolution?) H.R.3016 was passed by the House but I think it's being voted on by committee. Does this mean it doesn't go in front of all Reps who showed up to work that day, just this very small group? If it was passed by this committee, who votes on it when it goes to the Senate?

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

NancyPants posted:

Forgive my lack of civics education:

A bill (resolution?) H.R.3016 was passed by the House but I think it's being voted on by committee. Does this mean it doesn't go in front of all Reps who showed up to work that day, just this very small group? If it was passed by this committee, who votes on it when it goes to the Senate?

If it passes out of committee, it goes to the House as a whole (who may or may not schedule it for a vote.)

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Kalman posted:

If it passes out of committee, it goes to the House as a whole (who may or may not schedule it for a vote.)

It says it passed House on the status, though. So does that mean it passed as a whole? Would it just die if the House as a whole didn't schedule it?

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

NancyPants posted:

It says it passed House on the status, though. So does that mean it passed as a whole? Would it just die if the House as a whole didn't schedule it?

Yes, it passed the house as a whole (check under Actions in the drop down box), and yes, if a bill isn't scheduled for a vote by the House as a whole (also called a floor vote) it dies at the end of the congressional session.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Kalman posted:

Yes, it passed the house as a whole (check under Actions in the drop down box), and yes, if a bill isn't scheduled for a vote by the House as a whole (also called a floor vote) it dies at the end of the congressional session.

Gotcha, thank you. Is there a simpler way than checking the Senate floor schedule to find out when this is up for a vote?

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

NancyPants posted:

Gotcha, thank you. Is there a simpler way than checking the Senate floor schedule to find out when this is up for a vote?

The "Get Alerts" button should help.

You also need to find out if there's a Senate counterpart bill which might see Senate action instead of the House bill. And it might get referred to a Senate committee before going to the Senate floor (if it does go to the Senate floor), so you would want to check that as well. But get alerts should help.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
That fuckin Podiatrist lobby is outta control!

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

blarzgh posted:

That fuckin Podiatrist lobby is outta control!

Now, my opponent might be willing to be bought by Big Foot, but I say that stinks! We gotta stomp out Big Foot and run towards the public!

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Kalman posted:

The "Get Alerts" button should help.

You also need to find out if there's a Senate counterpart bill which might see Senate action instead of the House bill. And it might get referred to a Senate committee before going to the Senate floor (if it does go to the Senate floor), so you would want to check that as well. But get alerts should help.

Thank you

Yeah I could care less about the podiatrists, they're really loving with education benefits and it fucks up my 5 year plan pretty bad.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

quote:

[SC]Can signing a receipt or purchase order in red pen really mean the customer doesn't have to pay? (self.legaladvice)

submitted 32 minutes ago by waffles

This question is mostly out of curiosity, I'm taking the easy solution and not having red pens on the counter where customers can use them.
But in the event that they do sign a credit card slip or our receipt that tells what items where purchased, can a red pen signature really negate the need to pay for the material?
Wouldn't we have a really easy case for theft since there's a record of what was taken?

... whaaaaaaaat

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

This just in: dummies are dumb

Also in the news: sovcits still preaching dumb poo poo to dummies

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
Did you know that the ionic particles in silicone are what inhibit cunductionness of electric signals in computer chips? If you just dip the circuit in iodine (ionized water), the water will absorb the ions from the silicon particulate, and quadruple or more your processing speed! Manufacturers don't want you to know this, so they can manufacture the same chips, but sell them for different prices and just "dip" the ones they want to sell as faster chips.

This is me doing the computer version of Sovereign Citizens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib

It used to be banks would scan cheques with scanners where red ink would show up poorly, so they asked you to always use blue or black ink. I highly doubt it matters now, or ever honestly. The fear was someone gives you a cheque, you give them the product, they skee-daddle, you go to the bank and the bank is all whoa this thing is missing a signature, gently caress you no money.