Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Two Feet From Bread
Apr 20, 2009

I'm. A. Fucking. Nazi.

please punch me in the face
i love it
give it to me daddy
College Slice
The Schadenfreude is me:

Last week I got a new laptop and was trying to find the Government contract for MS Office for personal computers so I could get some cheap office action. Couldn't find it, gave up, and settled for year of Office 365.

Today I was notified that the Government MS Office contract has been renewed and I can buy Office Pro Plus 2016 for $10.

Guess my wife is getting Office for Valentines day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S3dN9Qd-hRY

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Two Feet From Bread posted:

The Schadenfreude is me:

Last week I got a new laptop and was trying to find the Government contract for MS Office for personal computers so I could get some cheap office action. Couldn't find it, gave up, and settled for year of Office 365.

Today I was notified that the Government MS Office contract has been renewed and I can buy Office Pro Plus 2016 for $10.

Guess my wife is getting Office for Valentines day.

Email Microsoft with the information. They have handled it retroactively before for some of my soldiers.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
Girl almost gets struck by lightning and the guy she is with immediately develops a speech impediment.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FEdAIonUBBM

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

Ragequit posted:

Girl almost gets struck by lightning and the guy she is with immediately develops a speech impediment.

Goddamn that is a 'strayan accent right there.

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
"Chooses combat gear " is the best.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Ragequit posted:

:byodood: "HOOL-MOH-GOL-BOW-BIGGA-BOGGA-WALNUM-BOGDISH-MISJOO!"

Australian for beer?

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Panfilo posted:

Australian for beer?

I think it's 'Holy Mother of God, babe, that lightning bolt just missed you!'... I think.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde
vanillaicecareer.gif

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

SubponticatePoster posted:

vanillaicecareer.gif

Breaking through the glass floor just doesn't have the same sort of ring as through the glass ceiling.

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM
LIBERALS WILL BE RE-ELECTED IN A LANDSLIDE

Ragequit posted:

As someone who is fluent in Strine he says

"Jesus, come back here. Oh my God baby that lightning bolt just missed you. Holy bloody mother of God, Jesus loving my God come back the lightning bolt nearly hit you"

Random Hajile
Aug 25, 2003

Panfilo posted:

Australian for beer?
I'll just assume it's "We'd better run, we'd better take cover."

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Birb Katter posted:

"Jesus, come back here. Oh my God baby that lightning bolt just missed you. Holy bloody mother of God, Jesus loving my God come back the lightning bolt nearly hit you"

Is that an actual real accent or just an Australian with a heavy speech impediment / mild retardation?

Rosemont
Nov 4, 2009
So what I'm getting from these posts is that the Australian accent is a speech impediment?

I admit, I couldn't understand a single thing he said at the end there, but it can't be all that bad.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Ragequit posted:

Noice

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

Birb Katter posted:

I wouldn't think it possible, but re-watching with the translation and it all makes sense.

DavidAlltheTime
Feb 14, 2008

All David...all the TIME!
It was actually pretty easy to understand what he was saying. Is this like the bad tattoo thread where goons pretend to not be able to read lettering?

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Baronjutter posted:

Is that an actual real accent or just an Australian with a heavy speech impediment / mild retardation?

Is there a difference? :rimshot:

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

Wasabi the J posted:

Email Microsoft with the information. They have handled it retroactively before for some of my soldiers.

I want some soldiers.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

Random Hajile posted:

I'll just assume it's "We'd better run, we'd better take cover."

Noice II

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

DavidAlltheTime posted:

It was actually pretty easy to understand what he was saying. Is this like the bad tattoo thread where goons pretend to not be able to read lettering?

Those worldly goons never hearing an accent other than their mothers' when she calls down the basement stairs to tell them their hot pocket dinner is ready.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

DavidAlltheTime posted:

Yeah it's pretty easy initially, but the severe panic makes the guy harder to understand (which would be the case with nearly any accent) and it came out pretty funny. Are you a goon that "pretends" to not understand human emotion?

http://i.imgur.com/KTkPxO2.gifv

Eldritch BiLast
Jul 7, 2009

Pummel Sylvanas
Melee Range
Instant

Should have sent a poet.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Well this is just cool.

blunt for century
Jul 4, 2008

I've got a bone to pick.

Ragequit posted:

Yeah it's pretty easy initially, but the severe panic makes the guy harder to understand (which would be the case with nearly any accent) and it came out pretty funny. Are you a goon that "pretends" to not understand human emotion?

http://i.imgur.com/KTkPxO2.gifv

beautiful

DavidAlltheTime
Feb 14, 2008

All David...all the TIME!
That kid's face as he realizes how cool what just happened is.

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM

Baronjutter posted:

It's what we'd call a 'lebo' accent here. As long as you're not full blown rich white racist here you've heard that accent, sure it's a thick accent but it's not any different to say having a thick Irish accent or whatever. Even knowing what he was saying I found it hard with the subtitles, they throw you off a bit.

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM

Ragequit posted:

The subtitles are a killer when watching it and not being familiar with the accent. It takes something you could reason out and fills that space with stuff that is plausible. poo poo, I'm the whargarbl whisperer here and struggled with it a bit because of them.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
High five, you got it

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Birb Katter posted:

It's what we'd call a 'lebo' accent here. As long as you're not full blown rich white racist here you've heard that accent, sure it's a thick accent but it's not any different to say having a thick Irish accent or whatever. Even knowing what he was saying I found it hard with the subtitles, they throw you off a bit.

So, kinda like an Appalachian Mountain hillbilly or Peyton Manning?

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM

veedubfreak posted:

I don't know what those are I'd probably relate it as a thick Irish accent. Sure it's English but if you're not used to it or paying attention then you might miss some poo poo.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

veedubfreak posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=03iwAY4KlIU

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
That video is also cool because it shows what a real lightning strike sounds like when it's "near by".

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Tiggum posted:

In my experience they don't actually say Microsoft, they say they're calling for Windows support or something. And how do you think you're saving anyone

Because if the agent is on the phone with me, he's unable to call anyone else. Simple physics. And I have absolutely had ones who say they're from Microsoft.

Karma Monkey
Sep 6, 2005

I MAKE BAD POSTING DECISIONS

I understood this perfectly well. :ohdear: Also, watch with the CC on, almost as bad/funny as the subtitles on the Aussie vid.

Dex
May 26, 2006

Quintuple x!!!

Would not escrow again.

VERY MISLEADING!

Avenging_Mikon posted:

Because if the agent is on the phone with me, he's unable to call anyone else. Simple physics. And I have absolutely had ones who say they're from Microsoft.

one buck(per hour) man saves the day again

if you want to do a thing then use a machine you don't care about and wait for the agent to give you their logmein pin, then report it so the account gets disabled. wasting the time of a guy who earns less per day than you spend on lunch isn't very productive

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Baronjutter posted:

That's a Lebanese Australian with a thick lebanese accent

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Wampa Stompa posted:

I’m a born citizen of the United States and I recently spent some time in Toronto. Even though I was only there for about a week, my experience has caused me to completely reevaluate my conception of American society. Basically, it was surreal to be in what seemed to be a fundamentally functioning society, as opposed to an essentially dysfunctional one.

Toronto’s streets were clean, the mass transit ran like clockwork, there was far less advertising littering the landscape, the population was well-integrated racially and ethnically, and people, on the whole, seemed much happier, healthier, and smarter than their American counterparts. I walked through the entire city and didn’t feel unsafe or conspicuously well-off once; there were no pockets of urban decay or visible poverty. Nearly everyone I spoke to seemed well-educated and thoughtful, and was well versed on how their local, provincial, and federal government functioned. I looked up the statistics, and there’s an absurdly low crime rate and a very high standard of living. Additionally, Canada's educational system is ranked far ahead of the US despite about equal expenditure per student.[

The reason I went to Toronto was to attend a conference, and I sat in on a panel about the Canadian health care system where I learned a lot. While it isn’t perfect, the single-payer model Canada employs seems mostly effective and humane, and ensures that comparatively few citizens are left for dead. Even drug prices (which the government insurance doesn’t cover) are negotiated by the Canadian government and are orders of magnitude cheaper than they are in the US. Canada’s social safety net is also miles ahead of the US and the whole “if you’re poor or sick you deserve to be poor” mentality doesn’t seem to exist there. I know that there’s a significant issue of scale at play (the entirety of Canada is only ~35 million people as opposed to 319 mil in the US), but that doesn’t fully explain it. Canada just doesn’t seem to be a pathologically dysfunctional society in the same way that the US is.

The fundamental difference seems to me to be that the Canadian government is actually beholden to its constituents’ interests. The United States government is essentially an oligarchy at this point; the SDP electoral system ensures that dissatisfied citizens have no chance to elect outsider candidates, so the Democratic Republican elite is immune to all threats to their power. Because the parties are immovably entrenched, their candidates are funneled into an intra-party rat race with each other for electoral funding, which means whoever can suck corporate dick the hardest and with the least teeth will be elected. This leaves the door open for all manner of corporate abuse and predation of the American public, and the corporations have become so adept at manipulating the media that they’ve convinced the public that that’s how it should be. It’s revolting.

The Canadian government seems to actively protect its citizens’ interests and works to improve their quality of life. I attribute this to the parliamentary model, where citizens actually have voting options other than “the party in charge now” or “the party in charge two years ago.” As a result, candidates are way less beholden to corporate interest and way more beholden to voters.

Granted, I’m sure there’s more than a little of the old “grass is always greener” effect going on here, but I can’t escape from the conclusion that the United States is a dystopian hellhole designed to trap almost all of its citizens in an inescapable web of poverty and disenfranchisement. It’s a fundamentally predatory society where corporations prey upon the horrid living conditions they pay politicians to perpetuate. Labor rights are practically nonexistent compared to almost any other first world industrialized nation, and education has been utterly gutted, twisted into a perverse game of rote memorization and fill-in-the-multiple-choice-bubbles without concern for students’ futures. Most forms of higher education are scams designed to trap young people underneath insurmountable mountains of student debt while not offering any decent career prospects. Entire generations of our best and brightest individuals are being railroaded into lives of menial service jobs, while many of those who rise to positions of power are childish imbeciles capitalizing on Daddy’s connections. Essentially, if you’re born in the United States, there’s a very good chance that you’re just utterly hosed and there’s nothing you can do (short of joining the military in the right way) to unfuck your life. “Down here it's just winners and losers and don't get caught on the wrong side of that line.”

I’m incredibly lucky; I was born into relative wealth and managed to dodge nearly every bullet America had waiting for me, and I’m in a fairly stable, well-paying position now. And it’s totally possible to insulate yourself from the worst of all this societal sickness by sticking to the major, cosmopolitan cities. But still, knowing that I’m supporting this rotten society with my labor and citizenship makes me sick to my stomach. Am I alone in finding the prospect of staying in this sort of society morally abhorrent? I’m doing everything I can to change it (voting in local and federal elections, donating to lobbyist groups, and teaching young people how the society they live in works and how they can protect themselves), but these issues are so deeply entrenched that nothing short of a major famine or war will turn the tide. In most ways, I really like Sanders as a candidate and I’m doing my best to support his campaign, but there’s little chance he or anyone like him will ever rise to a position of real power.

I’m trying to come to terms with all this, which is why I’m making this thread. I’d be interested to hear other folks’ takes on this whole situation, especially any expatriates. At this point, I’m seriously considering emigrating within the next 6 years (I need to build up some savings first), either to Canada or the EU (since I have Irish citizenship), but until then I need to find some way to stay sane in an insane society. Probably it will involve listening to a lot of Harvey Milk and Springsteen’s “Nebraska,” if I had to guess.

tldr; I can’t escape the conclusion that the United States is objectively a dystopian hellhole designed to screw over its citizens, and that that won’t change any time soon. I’m looking for other people’s takes on this whole situation, stories of expatriates, and/or how you all cope with this knowledge.

Tequila Sunrise posted:

OP aren't you the dude that randomly threw someone's Citibike off a bridge just because you felt like it? Have you considered that you are not exactly a paragon of morality yourself?

Tequila Sunrise posted:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3749675&userid=139946

Here it is. No story behind it that he talks about, but it was him. Also, while looking through his post history to find that post I found one where he asks how much a tattoo is, because he wanted a "fairly anatomically correct skull" on his forearm.

Op, it's time. How old are you. How fat are you.

a cop posted:

Wow what a big fat piece of poo poo! You've got some work to do, OP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roro
Oct 9, 2012

HOO'S HEAD GOES ALL THE WAY AROUND?

My favourite thing about humanity is our immediate response to something that is hilariously amazing is to applaud.