Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

GEMorris posted:

This is going to be the weirdest thing if we both live in the same 5 mile radius and didn't realize it until now.

There are a few Triangle goons here. I've never knowingly met any of you but may have unknowingly met if you are members of NCWW, TWA, or MWTCA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anubis
Oct 9, 2003

It's hard to keep sand out of ears this big.
Fun Shoe

Cpt.Wacky posted:

Please post a trip report. I have 2 different 3M models that never worked well with my glasses at the bridge of my nose.

It works great for me but I have 20/20 still (somehow) so I've never tried to do any actual work while wearing glasses under it.

Guitarchitect
Nov 8, 2003

Blistex posted:

:canada: so right now they're going for ~$100.

:canada: here too, I saw $80 at Busy Bee and assumed USD would be 60% of the price

that being said i got both my makita 1/3 sheet finishing sander AND my porter cable ROS from BB for $50 each... in 2012 :/

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Sheeeeit that's incredible.

I finally got a new 10" blade, despite misgivings I bought the same CMT blade I bought a few years ago (it's crap, skewed blade, lost receipt), but everyone at a local forum kept saying these guys made high quality blades and mine was probably a case of transport damage. So I gave it another try and bought from an italian website, good prices, cheap shipping and they had a special version with a 20mm bore instead of the usual 30mm standard. My saw is so old it has the older 20mm standard. Also got a cheap but good thin kerf blade for my circular saw.

This blade clearly isn't hosed, there's no resistance pushing anything through and when I look at the cut surface they have that same darker shiny surface as a planed surface. I test ripped a piece of spruce and I can't tell the difference between a jointed and sawn surface unless I look at from the right angle and move it so I see the slight circular marks from the saw blade.

So this is what a quality saw blade does.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I've always heard good things about CMT but I've never owned one. I've got Dewalt, Freud, couple of Delta branded, and some other crap that just showed up over the years. The Freuds are hands down the best, the Delta branded are the worst. Matter of fact I cut one of the Delta branded blades to make a knife. lovely TS blade but great knife steel.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
I haven't used it yet, but I picked up a Milwaukee ROS from Home Depot on Black Friday for ~$24. The rumor on Reddit was that the model was being phased out.

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010
I don't have any pictures yet but I've started on my first green turing project. I managed to score myself some very nice pieces of Jacaranda of my girl friends step dad last year. While I'm happy to let the bigger pieces dry out until they're ready to turn I thought I'd make one of them into a bowl then wait for it to dry out after I've shaped it.
Has anyone else turned green timber before? I can ask some of the guys at work but any tips at all would be helpful.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

wormil posted:

I've always heard good things about CMT but I've never owned one. I've got Dewalt, Freud, couple of Delta branded, and some other crap that just showed up over the years. The Freuds are hands down the best, the Delta branded are the worst. Matter of fact I cut one of the Delta branded blades to make a knife. lovely TS blade but great knife steel.

Yeah that's what I plan to use these old things for too, spare parts. The other CMT blade might be fixable, there are people who can fix blades that have been damaged like this, an old skill that's being lost I was told, but I got a friend who's asking around people who might know someone.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

His Divine Shadow posted:

Yeah that's what I plan to use these old things for too, spare parts. The other CMT blade might be fixable, there are people who can fix blades that have been damaged like this, an old skill that's being lost I was told, but I got a friend who's asking around people who might know someone.

Freud will fix or replace bad blades, CMT might also. You just pay shipping back to the factory.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I tried that, but no reply from CMT

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
It took about a week to hear back from Freud but the email was from a guy who knew his stuff, not customer service.

midge
Mar 15, 2004

World's finest snatch.

Guitarchitect posted:

:canada: here too, I saw $80 at Busy Bee and assumed USD would be 60% of the price

that being said i got both my makita 1/3 sheet finishing sander AND my porter cable ROS from BB for $50 each... in 2012 :/

Yep. I sat on the table saw purchase thinking "ah, I won't use it till spring". It's gone up $120 since Christmas.

Guitarchitect
Nov 8, 2003

midge posted:

Yep. I sat on the table saw purchase thinking "ah, I won't use it till spring". It's gone up $120 since Christmas.

blame our dollar. I was asking around about pricing on a drill press and planer and two separate shops warned me that they would be raising prices. all the current stock was imported with a better dollar, but the next imported shipments will involve the weaker exchange rate and bam, up go prices. same thing is happening with the big projects I'm working on... window costs are going up 20, 30%.

anyone ever use a moxon vise / joinery bench? likes/dislikes?

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

midge posted:

I waited a day too late to buy my Grizzly Polar Bear table saw. Amazon.ca had it for around $750! The next day I pulled out the credit card and the cheapest one was something like $1198.

ffffffffffffffffffffffffff!!!!

Edit: Latest two projects. (both approx 9x15")

Conventional long-grain cutting board that I have probably made 10+ of. It's cherry and ash and probably took me 30 minutes to make (not including glue drying time. I just cut the pieces about 1/8th of an inch larger than I want, glue them together, let them dry, run it through the 12" planer, then run a router around the edges and make a groove for a grip. Top it off with some 320 grit and some tung oil and it's done.
Since this was mostly just scraps that were left over I'm letting it go for $30 to a coworker.

This bastard was my very first end-grain cutting board and took me at least an hour of cutting and gluing alone. Sanding was probably 3 hours in total, and really only one side is sanded perfectly as there are screw-on rubber feet on the bottom. I put a routed grip on the top, and cut away a half circle under it so the board is easier to pick up.

I started out by gluing strips together like I was going to do a cutting board like the one above, but when it was dried I took 1 1/3" inch slices off the ends of it until I had all the strips necessary for the board. Then I flipped every other one and glued them together to get the alternating pattern seen above. The rest is mostly sanding and a little router work. Selling this one to the principal of my school for $45 as she is the principal and I want to stay on her good side.

Blistex fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Feb 7, 2016

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

It's tax return season, so I have the horrible choice between picking up an awesome Grizzly G0513X2 bandsaw or spreading the money out more and getting some real dust collection and the Makita track saw. I need a jointer too, but that can wait until next year.

For reference, I have no bandsaw right now. I really need one on a regular basis, but at the same time I have zero dust collection on my tablesaw and I still need to build -tons- of shop furniture, which means lots of breaking down sheet goods.

I really really can't decide.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Hypnolobster posted:

It's tax return season, so I have the horrible choice between picking up an awesome Grizzly G0513X2 bandsaw or spreading the money out more and getting some real dust collection and the Makita track saw. I need a jointer too, but that can wait until next year.

For reference, I have no bandsaw right now. I really need one on a regular basis, but at the same time I have zero dust collection on my tablesaw and I still need to build -tons- of shop furniture, which means lots of breaking down sheet goods.

Get the bandsaw.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Get the bandsaw, and get used to vacuuming up sawdust.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Hypnolobster posted:

Bandsaw and good quality facemask.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Hook up your shop vac to the bandsaw, you can make a temporary jig where a plastic pipe goes all the way up to the bottom of the table and is actually cut into by the blade. It can be held on by magnets or something, that'll give you really effective dust collection without a DC.

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

Dust collection is overrated. I prefer mass dust distribution, also me in the winter

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

I know the feeling. I'm building a torsion box style assembly/outfeed table and it's just hours straight of wearing a respirator.

Looks like the consensus is bandsaw. I think I'm okay with this. It gets a big purchase out of the way. Finding the money later for DC and maybe a tracksaw is a little easier anyway.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I have a "tracksaw" too:

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

The world is a mess... and I just need to rule it

Falco
Dec 31, 2003

Freewheeling At Last

I have a "tracksaw" too:

I really need to build this as well. I've got a hand me down job site Delta table saw, which is setup mediocre at best. I think a jig like this with a circular saw would really be a hell of a lot more handy.

Free Market Mambo
Jul 26, 2010

by Lowtax
Spent the evening hewing a nice chunk of Norway maple into a pretty rectangle. I had an excuse to bust out the plumb bob. It is destined to become a powerful mallet and drive my mortising chisels.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

I have a "tracksaw" too:

Haha, same. basically a straight piece of scrap with some 4d finish nails.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
I'm just getting into some basic poo poo and using borrowed tools, but I've discovered I can't use orbital sanders or anything with a significant vibration on it for more than about 20 minutes without getting tingling and pain in my hands for the next few hours.

I know the best solution is to get better tools, but that's not feasible in the immediate future, is something like this going to help much?

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

Solemn Sloth posted:

I'm just getting into some basic poo poo and using borrowed tools, but I've discovered I can't use orbital sanders or anything with a significant vibration on it for more than about 20 minutes without getting tingling and pain in my hands for the next few hours.

I know the best solution is to get better tools, but that's not feasible in the immediate future, is something like this going to help much?

The gloves will help. Also be sure you are not trying to hold super tight. You want to work with the sander/grinder and allow it to move some.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Trying to figure out plans for a simple king-size platform bed for a new mattress we want to buy soon. Is there anything decent I could put together with a headboard that would also come apart fairly easily for when we move? We just need something simple, not even necessarily with storage underneath or anything like that.

I want to see if price-wise it'll be worth building and staining something, or if we'd just be better off buying something from Overstock or the like.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Came up with a method to attach the DC hose to my bandsaw in a quick and easy way using these cheap clamps:

Still under construction, need to close in the open area under the table still. I need a solution that doesn't make it more difficult to swap blades or makes tilting the table problematic. I'm figuring some kind of L-shaped board I can just remove when tilting the table.

When it's all done I'll paint it a matching color to the rest of the bandsaw.

Also in the backgroudn you can see my repurposed outfeed table. I had no use for it after I put the router table behind the saw to act as outfeed table. So now it's attached to the wall and can fold down. I plan to use it as a dedicated assembly table.

Free Market Mambo
Jul 26, 2010

by Lowtax
Finished up my Norway maple mallet, it's made using Roy's Big Ash Mallet technique. The joinery is just a tapered handle fitting into a tapered mortise, and the head is a bit more green than the handle, should shrink a bit tighter. After everything come to equilibrium in 6 months or so, I'll take off most of the protruding handle at the top.

All the edges are rounded over, and should be fairly durable

Next step is to buy some more oil and give it a thorough soaking, and maybe some beeswax. I already drove some chisels with it this evening, it feels so drat good.

Kerro
Nov 3, 2002

Did you marry a man who married the sea? He looks right through you to the distant grey - calling, calling..
I was looking at getting a compressor and spray gun for spraying finishes on my projects after just completing one that had way too many corners and made brushing/wiping on the finish a total pain in the rear end. I see that my options are to get a compressor + spray gun, or a self-contained sprayer like this.

What are people's opinions on one over the other?

Edit to add: My most common finish would be 1/3 tung oil, 1/3 polyurethane, 1/3 thinner or thereabouts

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!
Your real options are Sprayer + compressor + filters/moisture control, or a Sprayer + turbine system.

That Wagner thing you linked to is trash.

Or just use wipe-on finishes?

Kerro
Nov 3, 2002

Did you marry a man who married the sea? He looks right through you to the distant grey - calling, calling..
What makes it trash? Be curious to know what I should be looking for.

I do use wipe-on finishes for everything I can if it's flat surfaces etc but some things e.g. this table I built (haven't got the glass top cut yet) proved to be a bit of a nightmare for wiping on due to all the right angle joins.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
I've been working on organizing my shop. It's become so cluttered over the last year I haven't worked on any fun projects. First step is cleaning and getting organized, so I built a lumber storage rack and upper workbench cabinets. Why didn't I do this a year ago???

Next up is a remnants cart, clamp rack, and some window trim. I need to order drawer and door hardware, then I'll do a run of drawers/doors.

Meow Meow Meow
Nov 13, 2010
Looks great, once I finish the desk I'm working on i am going to build a bunch of shop cabinets to help get me organized. What are your plans for doors?

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

This is the most "me" thing. Except that repeated for 16' at a time.

zbn
May 11, 2009

Kerro posted:

What makes it trash? Be curious to know what I should be looking for.

I do use wipe-on finishes for everything I can if it's flat surfaces etc but some things e.g. this table I built (haven't got the glass top cut yet) proved to be a bit of a nightmare for wiping on due to all the right angle joins.

That's a handsome table!

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Stupid newbie question: I got myself some boards at a discount DIY store, and am planning to make a simple bathroom cabinet. However the store is very discount and they keep their lumber under half cover only, i.e. one end of them has been rained and snowed on a bit. Are they any use for furniture, and should I do anything in particular before starting work? Let them rest for some days/weeks?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Silly question but can you cut them in half and use the different ends for different things / parts?