Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

unclenutzzy posted:

How would you guys approach trying to find a sysadmin or desktop support job in a different city? I'm 23, been doing desktop support for 3 years, about to finish my MCSA for server 2012 and I'm going to move... somewhere. I have some cash saved up but I'd rather know I have a job than move somewhere and get stuck trying to find one. For roles that aren't terribly advanced would any employer do Skype interviews?

Also I can't decide between Portland, Richmond or Denver. Any goons know what these job markets look like?

I don't live there anymore but as of mid 2015 the job market in Denver was great. Lots of companies looking, especially if you have any Linux expertise (although based on your MCSA it sounds like you're into Windows, which is also cool). Denver and its suburbs, Boulder, and to a lesser extent Fort Collins all have a bunch of tech companies/jobs.

Poster 22 Eargesplitten lives out there now and is actively hunting for similar jobs, maybe he will chime in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

I'm actively hunting in Portland and Dark Helmut is correct. Their job market is definitely skewed towards people who already live there. It's a case where moving there without a job is a horrible idea considering the insane demand for housing as well. I know it's possible to get hired via a Skype interview though it's definitely not the norm.

My backup plan is staying in Dallas which isn't a completely terrible consolation.

CDW
Aug 26, 2004
Nothing like finding out you didn't get a promotion in a post-interview discussion than being told you were amazing, had great leadership skills, blah blah and everything with no criticism, then see the form letter claim the winner as "professional, courteous and thorough." when his amazing temper at losing and not making calls almost got us disqualified from a game of flag football for the department.

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

unclenutzzy posted:

How would you guys approach trying to find a sysadmin or desktop support job in a different city? I'm 23, been doing desktop support for 3 years, about to finish my MCSA for server 2012 and I'm going to move... somewhere. I have some cash saved up but I'd rather know I have a job than move somewhere and get stuck trying to find one. For roles that aren't terribly advanced would any employer do Skype interviews?

Also I can't decide between Portland, Richmond or Denver. Any goons know what these job markets look like?

If you've got some networking knowledge and the basics of Linux, we're hiring some folks in the Denver Tech Center area. I also regularly get a lot of hits from LinkedIn and Dice for the kinds of positions you're probably looking for.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

unclenutzzy posted:

Richmond has a saturated as all gently caress IT job market, there are far too few positions and each junior job posting gets like 200 CVs.

e: welp you probably didn't mean Richmond BC.....

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

CDW posted:

Nothing like finding out you didn't get a promotion in a post-interview discussion than being told you were amazing, had great leadership skills, blah blah and everything with no criticism, then see the form letter claim the winner as "professional, courteous and thorough." when his amazing temper at losing and not making calls almost got us disqualified from a game of flag football for the department.

congrats on finding out your career there is done! good luck with the job hunt.

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003

CLAM DOWN posted:

Richmond has a saturated as all gently caress IT job market, there are far too few positions and each junior job posting gets like 200 CVs.

e: welp you probably didn't mean Richmond BC.....

Took me a second too. I was like NOOO don't move to BC it's awful right now nooo.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

air- posted:

I'm actively hunting in Portland and Dark Helmut is correct. Their job market is definitely skewed towards people who already live there. It's a case where moving there without a job is a horrible idea considering the insane demand for housing as well. I know it's possible to get hired via a Skype interview though it's definitely not the norm.

My backup plan is staying in Dallas which isn't a completely terrible consolation.

Post-recession, it still seems like the East/West Coasts haven't recovered. If you need a job there are ton of mid-level gigs in Texas.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Tab8715 posted:

Post-recession, it still seems like the East/West Coasts haven't recovered. If you need a job there are ton of mid-level gigs in Texas.

Tech jobs seem very plentiful in the Chicagoland area but seriously, don't anybody here buy land in Illinois. What a loving miserable pit of despair for homeowners.

And renting in Chicago isn't any better. Maybe there's a reason there are a lot of job openings here...

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Tech jobs seem very plentiful in the Chicagoland area but seriously, don't anybody here buy land in Illinois. What a loving miserable pit of despair for homeowners.

And renting in Chicago isn't any better. Maybe there's a reason there are a lot of job openings here...

Why? Granted I haven't been paying attention, but have home prices gone up significantly? I bought mine in Feb 2011 in the western burbs, but I pretty much got a steal because housing was still depressed. My taxes went up a little bit, but nothing that would make me scream that I'm getting buried in taxes.

SubjectVerbObject
Jul 27, 2009
Denver is a decent place to live and the job market is pretty good, but houses and rents are expensive. The other problem is that traffic is bad enough that you want to live in the same area as any job you have, and the metro area is large. I am not that good a resource because I am telecom, not IT and if I didn't work from home I would be in a pretty bad commute situation. You might want to make some posts in the LAN regional discussion forum in the threads for the cities you are looking at. The Denver thread is pretty lively.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Tab8715 posted:

wat. Maybe in the deep south, but Boston to NY to Baltimore/DC is booming for IT jobs. Hell, I keep getting pestered by recruiters from Charlotte and Atlanta, too.

flosofl posted:

Why? Granted I haven't been paying attention, but have home prices gone up significantly? I bought mine in Feb 2011 in the western burbs, but I pretty much got a steal because housing was still depressed. My taxes went up a little bit, but nothing that would make me scream that I'm getting buried in taxes.

IIRC, Illinois' property taxes are some of the highest in the country. Like to the point where the lower property values don't make up for it.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

psydude posted:

IIRC, Illinois' property taxes are some of the highest in the country. Like to the point where the lower property values don't make up for it.
My house cost me $185k for 3600 finished square feet, including basement. My mortgage, including taxes and insurance, is $1300/mo. That's in a reasonably nice neighborhood. I also have a 3 car attached garage. I doubt you'll find anything comparable in any of the cities you listed.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend
I've been house shopping in the Chicago suburbs for about 6 months and I am struggling to justify living here long term. The property taxes are loving brutal and the housing costs, while reduced from the bubble, are still way too loving high. It sickens me that of the $2500/mo I'm looking to spend on a mortgage, at least $1000 of that is property taxes.

There is a reason that people are leaving Illinois in droves.

Cthulhuite
Mar 22, 2007

Shwmae!
If I wanted to buy a house here in Vancouver, I could get a 2-bedroom, maybe 15-1800 sq/ft - near enough to downtown that commuting wasn't a bitch - for somewhere in the region of 1.5 million dollars. A condo or apartment might be a million.

Enjoy your cheap houses!

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
I'm faced with he choice of Long Island, New Jersey, and CT for housing. It's a goddamn nightmare.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

I pay just shy of 3% in property taxes every year, but here in Texas we don't have a state income tax.

State income tax and high property tax rates, now that has to suck.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Taxes are a good thing hth

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

psydude posted:

wat. Maybe in the deep south, but Boston to NY to Baltimore/DC is booming for IT jobs. Hell, I keep getting pestered by recruiters from Charlotte and Atlanta, too.

I've actually thought about Boston. Great public transportation, jobs aplenty, tons of things to do and relatively close to NYC.

Sure, my apartment might $1.5k for 750 sqft but I'm totally comfortable ditching my car and just walking everywhere.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

CLAM DOWN posted:

Taxes are a good thing hth

Did someone say they weren't?

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Tab8715 posted:

I've actually thought about Boston. Great public transportation

:laffo::laffo::laffo::laffo:

The MBTA is a loving joke and is terrible.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Well, I received news that they are writing an offer. Looks like the salary will be $95k + benefits and a yearly performance incentive (which the HR person said is typically ~1 month's salary). I'm pretty happy with that, all told. Not sure what the amount of vacation time is. If I negotiate on anything, it will probably be that. :yotj:

Any recommendations on affordable apartments in Paramus, NJ?

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Inspector_666 posted:

:laffo::laffo::laffo::laffo:

The MBTA is a loving joke and is terrible.

Tell me this isn't true, but I suppose it's better than places that don't have any? :smith:

Barracuda Bang!
Oct 21, 2008

The first rule of No Avatar Club is: you do not talk about No Avatar Club. The second rule of No Avatar Club is: you DO NOT talk about No Avatar Club
Grimey Drawer

KillHour posted:

Well, I received news that they are writing an offer. Looks like the salary will be $95k + benefits and a yearly performance incentive (which the HR person said is typically ~1 month's salary). I'm pretty happy with that, all told. Not sure what the amount of vacation time is. If I negotiate on anything, it will probably be that. :yotj:

Any recommendations on affordable apartments in Paramus, NJ?

Do people even live in Paramus? I figured it was like that town near LA in season two of True Detective that has literally no actual residents and is all industrial, so the mayor just does whatever he wants.

Anyway, hope that helps

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Never been there. :shrug:

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

My taxes actually go to good causes. It's great living in a country that spends its money on healthcare and well being of its people than the military.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

jaegerx posted:

My taxes actually go to good causes. It's great living in a country that spends its money on healthcare and well being of its people than the military.

please don't troll

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Tab8715 posted:

Tell me this isn't true, but I suppose it's better than places that don't have any? :smith:

Everything closes at midnight (although that doesn't mean much since Boston closes down with it) and the Green Line might as well be buses. Also I dunno if the MBTA pulled something out of their rear end and upgraded the rolling stock in the past few years but every single train car feels old as hell on every line.

(I lived near Boston for 6 years and the sheer amount of truly idiotic choices the MBTA made outside of just poorly running a broken down old system was amazing. I'm a New Yorker though so everything I say about this is massively biased.)

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

LmaoTheKid posted:

I'm faced with he choice of Long Island, New Jersey, and CT for housing. It's a goddamn nightmare.
If you're concerned about your commute length, a lot of NYC tech jobs will let you telecommute a couple of days a week, even big banks. It's a common benefit because of the absurd housing costs near the city. Nobody wants to be beholden to the MTA or NJ Transit for 4 hours a day.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Docjowles posted:

Poster 22 Eargesplitten lives out there now and is actively hunting for similar jobs, maybe he will chime in.
Yep. Denver and Boulder (and Denver's sprawl) seem to have great markets. Fort Collins less so, and it's too far away to just get a job one town over. All three are expensive unless you live in the ghetto in Denver, though.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

CLAM DOWN posted:

please don't troll

lol, i live in a good country. Sorry you live in america

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

jaegerx posted:

lol, i live in a good country. Sorry you live in america

Isn't Clam Down a Canadian? Or have I been completely misreading they're posts?

Sprechensiesexy
Dec 26, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

CLAM DOWN posted:

please don't troll

My income tax this year is around 4,5-5%

On the other hand, I pay around $18 for a pint.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Garrand posted:

Jaegerx turns into a Canadian like me when he drinks, it's adorable :3:

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Garrand posted:

Nope, he lives in north america.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

jaegerx posted:

Nope, he lives in north america.

I'm going to fight you

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

CLAM DOWN posted:

I'm going to fight you

Ok Canadian American.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Crossposting from the resume and interview thread because I kind of am in a hurry and this thread gets a lot more attention so it seems.

LochNessMonster posted:

After a week or 2-3 hunting for a new job I'm finding myself to be in a somewhat difficult situation and I was hoping to get some goon advice.

I'm talking to 3 different consultancy companies and I'm having my 2nd interview with 2 of them later this week. Both already let me know that if I don't botch my 2nd interview they want to make me an offer straight after the second interview. Of one of these companies I actually know the guy who'll be interviewing as we both worked at the same company before and I got along quite ok with him for the ofher company I worked together with several of their employees who've actually recommended me to their CEO. I'm pretty confident I'll get an offer from both.

I live in Europe and in my country the benefits in IT consultancy are pretty drat similar with almost every single company I know / heard of. The only thing that differs is the salary, and maybe if you work 36 (4x9)or 40 (5x8) hours a week. Pay should be compensated for
working 10% more/less.

All in all it sounds like a pretty sweet spot. The problem I have however is that my 2nd interview with the 3rd company is in 2,5 weeks. While company 1 and 2 are pretty good I actually prefer working at company 3 since the work I'll be doing for them is more interesting and challenging. The software is new to me, I'll be doing more short projects and I can get experience in fields I currently lack experience in, but in which I'd love to work later in my career (networking/security). The only reason I wouldn't want to work there is ift hey throw me a really lowball offer and don't want to negotiate (I do have a family to feed).

I really would like to wait on the offer comapny 3 will make me, but due to availability issues on both sides, the next interview is in 2,5 weeks. All 3 comapnies know my pay range, I gave them an indication within 15-20% of my current pay. So while I don't expect a lovely offer from any of them I just can't rule it out because I have experience with working for a company that did have sleazeball ethics.

So my question to you guys is, how do I respectfully tell company 1 and 2 to wait for 2 weeks before I talk to them about their offer. I don't want to string them along but I don't want them to retract their offers in case company 3 doesn't want to make me an offer (or negotiate on a potential lowball offer).

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

LochNessMonster posted:

Crossposting from the resume and interview thread because I kind of am in a hurry and this thread gets a lot more attention so it seems.

Just straight up ask "if you make me an offer how soon will you need a response?'"
You can also say to company 3 "Is there any chance we can bring my interview forwards? I'm talking to some other people and I don't want to be in the position of having to pass on you because I get an offer I can't wait on."

These things are hardly ever set in stone, and the companies already have decided how desperately they need someone to fill the role and vaguely how much they care about getting you personally. You don't explicitly tell 1 and 2 'you are my second choice' but you can explain that you have certain demands on your calendar and would appreciate if they moved a little in your direction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Inspector_666 posted:

Everything closes at midnight (although that doesn't mean much since Boston closes down with it) and the Green Line might as well be buses. Also I dunno if the MBTA pulled something out of their rear end and upgraded the rolling stock in the past few years but every single train car feels old as hell on every line.

(I lived near Boston for 6 years and the sheer amount of truly idiotic choices the MBTA made outside of just poorly running a broken down old system was amazing. I'm a New Yorker though so everything I say about this is massively biased.)

The T definitely has issues but yeah it's only completely awful compared to NYC which is god tier mass transit. As he said, at least it exists. Let's talk about subway / rail options in Denver, or the entire southern US, or Southern California. It will be a short chat.

adorai posted:

My house cost me $185k for 3600 finished square feet, including basement. My mortgage, including taxes and insurance, is $1300/mo. That's in a reasonably nice neighborhood. I also have a 3 car attached garage. I doubt you'll find anything comparable in any of the cities you listed.

For some reason I thought you were in Boston but I must be thinking of someone else. I'm looking to buy on the north shore right now and the house you described would list for like $1 million.

Docjowles fucked around with this message at 13:58 on Feb 10, 2016