Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

suicidesteve posted:

Did they trick them into rare redrafting somehow?

pst hey kid do you wanna draft for only 3 packs instead of 5 im only gonna take all your rares bwahahahahahahaha

I guess thats what the implication is here?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Surgical Extraction is actually the best card in modern because it lets you run off with your opponent's deck.

If dicking with rare redrafters is a crime then we must engage in civil disobedience.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Madness is my second favorite mechanic of all time after Morph. I will admit I was a little disappointed at how safe they played Morph but it was still fun, and the appearance of Fiery Temper, Invasive Surgery, Dead Weight and the 2/2 for 1 with upside (and three of those at common!) says to me they're not as concerned with playing it super safe on cost as they have been recently.

I want to see Violent Eruption, Obsessive Search and Arrogant Wurm.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
I would never rare redraft at a store with randos, but it's a reasonable way to split a box with friends who are roughly equal in skill level.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
The only person at my LGS that I've ever heard mentioning rare re-drafting is the annoying 40-something guy who claims he used to have a single-digit DCI number and who everyone suspects of sneaking extra cards into his limited pools frequently and he brought it up as a suggestion when he was the only experienced drafter in a pod of newbies.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

whydirt posted:

I would never rare redraft at a store with randos, but it's a reasonable way to split a box with friends who are roughly equal in skill level.

This is correct and also basically what Zoness was saying.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

suicidesteve posted:

It's the correct way to draft. :can:

We can't be friends anymore.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Everblight posted:

https://twitter.com/DarklandsMierce/status/697084284595806208

he's signing at fan conventions in Heaven with Quinton Hoover :(

Wayne England, everyone.

The Lorwyn commands and Worldgorger Dragon.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

Madness is my second favorite mechanic of all time after Morph. I will admit I was a little disappointed at how safe they played Morph but it was still fun, and the appearance of Fiery Temper, Invasive Surgery, Dead Weight and the 2/2 for 1 with upside (and three of those at common!) says to me they're not as concerned with playing it super safe on cost as they have been recently.

I want to see Violent Eruption, Obsessive Search and Arrogant Wurm.
'
Just out of curiosity, how do you feel they played Morph safely? What would you have liked to see instead? I'm not saying you're wrong, it just didn't occur to me to see their implementation of it as particularly timid or unimaginative (I'm more annoyed that they did two variants on it purely for the sake of doing variants).

Also, not wanting to personally play in a rare redraft draft is one thing, and I can see being legitimately annoyed if there's only one LGS for you to draft at but it's camped by people who insist on rare redrafting, but a lot of you guys seem really upset that rare redrafting exists somewhere in the world.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

JerryLee posted:

Also, not wanting to personally play in a rare redraft draft is one thing, and I can see being legitimately annoyed if there's only one LGS for you to draft at but it's camped by people who insist on rare redrafting, but a lot of you guys seem really upset that rare redrafting exists somewhere in the world.
Rare redrafting allows rear end in a top hat sharks to take newbie's cards, creating an especially feel-bad moment for players who are new to the game. It actively retards the growth of Magic by sending players who are taking their first steps out of the lunchrooms and into competitive Magic the message that "people in this community are toxic, selfish assholes who want to take your money cards"

Wizards should really formally say that rare-redrafting is not condoned, even if they can't ban it.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Snacksmaniac posted:

We can't be friends anymore.

I was just trying to start a fight. I actually think it's pretty stupid outside of maybe hanging out with friends.

Everblight posted:

Rare redrafting allows rear end in a top hat sharks to take newbie's cards, creating an especially feel-bad moment for players who are new to the game. It actively retards the growth of Magic by sending players who are taking their first steps out of the lunchrooms and into competitive Magic the message that "people in this community are toxic, selfish assholes who want to take your money cards"

Wizards should really formally say that rare-redrafting is not condoned, even if they can't ban it.

Maybe they just shouldn't rare redraft if they're new to draft?

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
Hey maybe it's the assholes who are looking for ways to shark new players that are the problem and not the people who like redrafting as a way to have fun opening their boxes and not chipping in 5 packs per draft

No clearly it's the very idea of putting stakes on a match of magic at all that's the problem.

Anecdote - I've redrafted team/ffa drafts a couple of times with Cedric Phillips (who was and is an infinitely better limited player than I have the patience to become - the guy literally grinded modo drafts to buy bus tickets to gp's) and it helped me get a lot better at drafting.

Zoness fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Feb 9, 2016

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010
All of the stores around me redraft and one of the stores even does it with the winner getting the first two picks :negative:. Shockingly they stopped doing regular draft nights because nobody would show up.

JerryLee posted:

You'll get a ton of downvotes in the magic subreddits for just casually mentioning that your store does redrafts.

ScarletBrother
Nov 2, 2004
I'm in the camp of rare redrafting is fine if you know all the people involved, but it sucks with random people. While I am reasonably confident in my INN drafting ability, I am not about to pay $30 just for the experience and high probability of walking away with nothing but bulk. I am kinda tempted to do the thing a few of you mentioned and rare draft then walk out with all the cards, never to return, but it's probably not even worth it from a value perspective. I'll stay away from this particular event. Thanks, goons!

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

suicidesteve posted:

I was just trying to start a fight. I actually think it's pretty stupid outside of maybe hanging out with friends.

If we practice draft, just one person buys the box and keeps it all after the event. Either that or just buy or own packs and do it for no prize.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

suicidesteve posted:

Do you think they'll actually know that rare redrafting isn't the default if they're new?

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Everblight posted:

I don't know where you get the idea that players are somehow tricking newbies into doing redrafts, it's 100% the stores not wanting to hike the entry fee up 5$ (possibly for a good reason).

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
If I am going to give away my draft cards to a stranger its going to be the middle school age kids that dump cards on at FNM thank you very much.

little munchkin posted:

I don't know where you get the idea that players are somehow tricking newbies into doing redrafts, it's 100% the stores not wanting to hike the entry fee up 5$ (possibly for a good reason).

Oh my sweet summer child.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005
Rare redrafting at an event is loving terrible and shouldn't exist. I've run them myselves under the naive thinking of "it drops the cost of entry so that more people will play" but it breaks the lottery system that Magic is built on and makes losing incredibly unfun and kills repeat players outside of the 4 people who are topping consistently.

Rare redrafting with friends is a fine way to add stakes to a friendly draft if you're interested in competing.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I used to be okah with redrafts so long as the place was up front about it. Then I opened a foil Chandra, Pyromaster in an M14 draft and took second place. I haven't been in a redraft since.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Star Man posted:

I used to be okah with redrafts so long as the place was up front about it. Then I opened a foil Chandra, Pyromaster in an M14 draft and took second place. I haven't been in a redraft since.

So they weren't up front and you gave them your cards anyway?

Should have noped right out of there.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
I mean, any store that is running a rare redrafting event should advertise that that's what's happening, and be ready to explain what it means to someone who isn't new, so that they can make an informed decision (insofar as any of our decisions are really informed, maaaaaaan). That's just basic decency.

Basically

Zoness posted:

Hey maybe it's the assholes who are looking for ways to shark new players that are the problem and not the people who like redrafting as a way to have fun opening their boxes and not chipping in 5 packs per draft

with the addendum that I think it's also fine if it's what a particular store's group of clientele enjoys doing, even if it's not just friends opening boxes around a table.

But granted, I live in a metro area where if you don't like drafting at the redraft store, you can drive ten minutes and be drafting somewhere else, which is why I said I could understand some level of frustration if it was your only store for hours around. Not to say that it would still be okay to poo poo all over people for their preferences.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Sickening posted:

Oh my sweet summer child.

Does that actually happen, and if so, how obese are these sharks spending their entire evening scamming a 12-year-old out of a 6$ piece of cardboard?

Star Man posted:

Origins was hilarious because first place would get a planeswalker or a hangarback or something, and second place would take a foil land because there would be nothing left that was remotely playable/valuable.

Then BFZ came out and now the foil lands gets picked first because it's worth more than any of the non-mythics.

little munchkin fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Feb 9, 2016

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Sickening posted:

If I am going to give away my draft cards to a stranger its going to be the middle school age kids that dump cards on at FNM thank you very much.

I dump cards on the kids at my LGS all the time. You want bulk rares kid? You got bulk rares.

ScarletBrother
Nov 2, 2004
The store in question is being very up front about the fact that it's rare redrafting and even goes on to explain what that entails. I was just balking at the $30 price tag when that more than covers the retail cost of the Innistrad packs. No additional prize support is mentioned.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Speaking of Innistrad Draft... My LGS is having one in a few weeks and I have no idea how to draft the format. Anyone know of a good primer?

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

mcmagic posted:

Speaking of Innistrad Draft... My LGS is having one in a few weeks and I have no idea how to draft the format. Anyone know of a good primer?

GW Humans. Travel Preparations is busted.

UB Selfmill. Flashback for days.

GB/Abzan Spider Spawning. Spider Spawning.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

mcmagic posted:

draft the spider spawning deck

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

mcmagic posted:

force the green black spider spawning deck

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I really want to know what the Clue tokens are going to look like.

ScarletBrother
Nov 2, 2004

mcmagic posted:

Go to Channel Fireball and look at LSV'S archives. Find him drafting the format later on going for Spider Spawning. It's the most fun you can have playing Magic.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Entropic posted:

I really want to know what the Clue tokens are going to look like.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

Count Bleck posted:

GW Humans. Travel Preparations is busted.

UB Selfmill. Flashback for days.

GB/Abzan Spider Spawning. Spider Spawning.

It's GBU spider spawning, usually, since self mill is the key

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

GeneX posted:

It's GBU spider spawning, usually, since self mill is the key

Sultai, right.

Sultai Spider Spawning.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
UR vengeance is sweet too

basically base blue graveyard stuff that mills yourself is good. Civilized Scholar is a pretty insane card.

The difference between vengeance and spider spawning is that vengeance prioritizes way more on removal and flashback cards because it's not dependent on having creatures in the graveyard to get its engine going.

Zoness fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Feb 9, 2016

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

suicidesteve posted:

And then we're back to the old "those dumb newbies should clearly spend dozens if not hundreds of hours researching this game and its formats in great detail before even considering stepping into my LGS" elitist horseshit. The game should be fun, first and foremost; rare redrafting invariably ends with 1-2 happy people and 6-7 people feeling lovely. I will gladly pay an extra $5 if it means everyone goes home with something other than bulk.

New people deserve to play.
New people deserve to win, or at least have an enjoyable time losing.
New people deserve to have some small chance of getting something of value from a draft.

Rare redrafting violates two of these on the regular.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

mcmagic posted:

I was going to say not to draft spider spawning because every idiot is going to be forcing it, but it looks like a lot of people beat me to it.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Zoness posted:

UR vengeance is sweet too

basically base blue graveyard stuff that mills yourself is good. Civilized Scholar is a pretty insane card.

I can't believe I forgot that deck it's so fun.

ScarletBrother
Nov 2, 2004

mcmagic posted:

Here I found a primer for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
Triple Innistrad is an amazing draft set, basically.

• Locked thread