Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."

Lightning Lord posted:

To tell the truth though my investment in this argument is more about the differences between DC and Marvel's superhero comics - which while not negligible, are deeply overstated.
Considering the fact that DC's been riding the nostalgia train incredibly hard lately despite the fact that said nostalgia is something no one wants kind of shoots a massive hole in your argument.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Holy poo poo, the artist Wayne England just died.

MadScientistWorking posted:

Considering the fact that DC's been riding the nostalgia train incredibly hard lately despite the fact that said nostalgia is something no one wants kind of shoots a massive hole in your argument.

The New 52 is pretty much over. Anyway, I'm talking about longterm trends. That "I'm a Marvel I'm a DC" crap is my nerd bugbear.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

The thing that moths took away from this is "Superman learns that it's ok to take life".
While I agree with this sentiment, holy loving :lol: at the condescension here.

quote:

This just isn't true. Superman is not Utopian in the Golden Age. He is a bully who bullies other bullies.

Yeah but that's, you know, the 1930's. It's a pretty measured response compared to the other action comics of the era. I mean this is a time when Batman was dropping crooks left and right. :v:

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib
Any differences between Marvel and DC on a company-wide scale disappeared by the end of the 1970s, and I would argue that they disappeared by 1972 at the latest.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

The thing that moths took away from this is "Superman learns that it's ok to take life".

It's a hard lesson for him, but ultimately it's the one he learns.

The point is that Superman (culturally) is above compromise and generally an absolute force for good. Snyder uses the climax of the film to show that even Superman's ethics can be compromised and he can be forced into brutality and savage violence.

Nobody goes to a Superman movie hoping to see that even Superman must succumb to this lovely world.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

moths posted:

The point is that Superman (culturally) is above compromise and generally an absolute force for good. Snyder uses the climax of the film to show that even Superman's ethics can be compromised and he can be forced into brutality and savage violence.

Nobody goes to a Superman movie hoping to see that even Superman must succumb to this lovely world.

Imprisoning someone, or brainwashing them, is committing savage violence and brutality. So is permanently disabling them. So, the only way for Superman, given the conditions of the film, to defeat Zod, is with either violence or coincidence, and making a movie where Superman is useless and all that matters is chance in this world is actually worse ideologically.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

moths posted:

That's not true. Man of Steel is a broadly popular movie.

Also, in response to your points, I'll just let a previous post from CineD speak for itself:

He's just a guy who views Superman as a folk-hero projection of absolute good, magnanimous use of absolute power. Lots of people do that, and it's ok.

Unfortunately this desire does not produce a living character. A Superman who always wins, who can't be meaningfully challenged, who "does the impossible" (which always translates to "win utterly and completely with no long-term consequences") is a dead character. He is a beautifully embalmed ideal, to be sure, but he's dead and irrelevant.

It would be really nice if those "perfect Superman" people realized what the consequences of their desires were - a bunch of shirts with "S" logos on them and not much else. If you're a real fan of the character you actually want him to be relevant and interesting, not a good-looking corpse. Oh well.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Which is essentially why those were the wrong conditions to present in a Superman film.

A good Superman story challenges his morality but gives him an opportunity to do "good" in an unexpected way.

Instead, Zod was the uncompromising character who would not bend.

moths fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Feb 9, 2016

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

moths posted:

Which is essentially why those were the wrong conditions to present in a Superman film.

OK, so now that we've disallowed Zod, Luthor, Darkseid, Brainiac, Mongul, prepare yourself to have all the superman films be about the Parasite and the Prankster.

Because those five villains are also people Superman can't actually defeat by converting them to his cause through reason or moral inspiration.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

"Superman is supposed to be good/idealistic/whatever" makes as much sense to me as "worker placement games are supposed to be about farming." I liked Man of Steel because the one message I got from it very clearly is that he is an Actual Alien caught between his "actual people" and his "adopted people," neither of whom welcomes the hand he extends in peace. What do you do when you can do a lot of (what you see as) good, and those who you'd most want to help fear, mistrust, or outright try to murder you? That was enough to carry the movie for me. It doesn't matter to me that he was not like his 1940s self or his 1980s self.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Honestly Captain America is a better Superman at this point.

E: Yes.

moths fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Feb 9, 2016

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

moths posted:

Honestly Captain America is a better Superman at this point.

Cinematically?

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Asimo posted:

Yeah but that's, you know, the 1930's. It's a pretty measured response compared to the other action comics of the era. I mean this is a time when Batman was dropping crooks left and right. :v:

You're moving the goalposts. You said Superman was fundamentally a Utopian character, even from his inception in the Golden Age.

We have Utopian fiction from the 30s. The people in it don't act like Superman.

Superman has never concerned himself with creating a Utopia. He was a hardcore leftist that tore down tenements and stood up for the powerless. Later, he became a tool for the status quo and caught bad guys. He also had weird adventures on other planets and beat world-destroying threats. At no point did he attempt to create a utopia. In fact, when Superman starts to rule/challenge the status quo - even in a positive manner - it's universally portrayed as a bad thing.

moths posted:

A good Superman story challenges his morality but gives him an opportunity to do "good" in an unexpected way.

This isn't how criticism works.

Misandu
Feb 28, 2008

STOP.
Hammer Time.
Isn't a huge part of Man of Steel supposed to be to set up the conflict of Batman v Superman? Everyone gave the movie a bunch of poo poo for showing billions of dollars in property damage and the over the top loss of life from it all, but isn't all of that supposed to explain why Batman gets involved to start with?

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

moths posted:

E: Yes.

This is a pretty damning indictment of the cinematic Captain America, bluntly.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Effectronica posted:

This is a pretty damning indictment of the cinematic Captain America, bluntly.

That he's a better Superman character than Zach Snyder's Superman?

Sorry dude, The Tick is a better Superman than Zach Snyder's Superman.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

moths posted:

Again, this is really a bad example of this sentiment. If anything, his failure to save Pa Kent is a bigger issue with the film. I know what they were trying for, really, but ultimately it comes down to him being afraid to do the right thing when he needs to and suffering for it. This just doen't... fit though. It feels like an unnecessary tragedy, and it's something that could easily have been spun in a different way and worked a lot better. Clark trying to save his father but failing for whatever reason, or Jonathan dying due to a sudden accident Clark couldn't have done anything about; either would have caused a similar crisis of faith in Clark that didn't rely on his inaction.

You're moving the goalposts. You said Superman was fundamentally a Utopian character, even from his inception in the Golden Age.

We have Utopian fiction from the 30s. The people in it don't act like Superman.

Superman has never concerned himself with creating a Utopia. He was a hardcore leftist that tore down tenements and stood up for the powerless. Later, he became a tool for the status quo and caught bad guys. He also had weird adventures on other planets and beat world-destroying threats. At no point did he attempt to create a utopia. In fact, when Superman starts to rule/challenge the status quo - even in a positive manner - it's universally portrayed as a bad thing.
And you're completely misreading my reading. Yeah fine, "utopian" was a bad turn of phrase, but the best Superman's always been defined by his actions. In the golden age this was doing leftist acts against people who police didn't notice or care about (wife beaters, petty thieves) or who were too powerful or entrenched for normal people to stop (war profiteers, fascists, etc). When the silver age rolled around things obviously got a lot more muddled for various obvious reasons, but even there he was usually fighting enemies that normal people had no chance against. And saying that superman trying to change the status quo is universally portrayed as a bad thing is really unfair - it's only portrayed as a bad thing when he winds up trying to do it through some "easy", brute force, black-and-white way.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

moths posted:

That he's a better Superman character than Zach Snyder's Superman?

Sorry dude, The Tick is a better Superman than Zach Snyder's Superman.

The problem is that your T-Shirt Superman is not a good thing to resemble, from my point of view.

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan
Oh, bloody hell, thought this was the CineD comic book movie thread and not the TG Industry Thread. Can y'all please take it there where they have this conversation like biweekly anyway?

I want to read and talk more about this dead gay industry.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Superman has never concerned himself with creating a Utopia. He was a hardcore leftist that tore down tenements and stood up for the powerless.
Superman completes the political journey started by the protagonist of Sucker Punch, realizing that he can and must overthrow the elite through violence. And not for his personal liberation, but to protect the powerless.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

I think Man of Steel is a bad movie, largely because it's a film where Superman strikes a Christ pose, but I can see a case made for the Zod Incident being why Superman never kills in this particular universe.

That's not true. Man of Steel is a broadly popular movie.

Also, in response to your points, I'll just let a previous post from CineD speak for itself:

Just to be clear you don't come off looking that great in that thread.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I've never liked superman precisely because my perception of him, which is based on the old black and white series, plus the Christopher Reeves films, plus maybe a handful of comic books during the 1980s, is that the character was really badly written. He has all these abilities and half the times he forgets them. The writers make up an ability so he can always win every time, when it's convenient for him to do it. His only genuine dilemma seems to revolve around his relationship with Lois Lane, in which the writers seem to want to portray him as being the good guy even though he's constantly lying to her. Mostly though he seemed like the ultimate Mary Sue character.

Of course, I'm aware of tons of Superman content that ran opposite to that impression. I just don't know the character in his modern incarnation well enough to say if the Man of Steel film got him "right" or "wrong." I do know that I saw the movie in a hotel in Providence and thought it was extremely bad, but maybe I don't have the Cinema Discussio chops to explain exactly why.

Maybe it was just a visceral reaction to what I see as a running theme of "grittification" of superheroes? Batman is always the guy who has the internal struggle, a vigilante who does what he thinks is necessary. Maybe I don't like a Superman who seems to be following a similar path? Maybe not every hero should have this dark struggle? I dunno, it's silly of me to think that, when the reason I didn't like Superman in the first place is because I find him to be an unrealistic, always-on-the-moral-high-ground jesus figure, literally sent to earth to save us except us sinners just aren't good enough to be saved. Or something.

I imagine if you liked Man of Steel, its annoying to see it dismissed by people who didn't like it for reasons you find to be trivial or which your knowledge of the franchise tells you are just outright wrong. But maybe most of us who didn't like the film just don't know, or care that much, about the franchise, and we're just trying to figure out why exactly we didn't like the film.

One thing I'm pretty sure of though is that people who didn't like the film don't deserve to have scorn heaped upon them just because they didn't like the film. If my poorly-thought-out reasoning is flawed, OK... but you're not going to convince me that when I saw the movie a year ago, I actually did like it, and am just confused about my own opinion.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Mecha Gojira posted:

I want to read and talk more about this dead gay industry.
Usually I get people jumping all over me when I criticize HERO. :sigh:

Leperflesh posted:

I've never liked superman precisely because my perception of him (...) is that the character was really badly written.
This is definitely true, because he's a very hard character to write well. A lot of the complaints you see people making about him ("he's too good!" "he has no flaws!" "he's too powerful!") are usually a misreading of the character or ignoring what actually makes a story work. Clark isn't the only person in the world, and his interactions with his friends and enemies and how that conflicts with his morality are what drives the drama. Even the "too powerful" thing is nicely disproved by the fact that, like, Onepunch Man exists and is totally engaging. :v:

Asimo fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Feb 9, 2016

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
We could talk about TG movies.

Man, how hype is everybody for Monopoly? I mean, on a scale from "hype" to "electric"?

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Lightning Lord posted:

Just to be clear you don't come off looking that great in that thread.

Illusion is inferior to being.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Man, how hype is everybody for Monopoly? I mean, on a scale from "hype" to "electric"?
Clue was the superior TG film. :colbert:

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

Alien Rope Burn posted:

We could talk about TG movies.

Battleship was fine- not good, but fine. If it ends up with being an amazing crypto-satire of the property bubble, arguing along the same lines as The Big Short, I'll buy a physical copy.

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan
I don't think Monopoly is still on, or what I should say, it's probably back in production hell since while Ridley Scott was attached to it, it doesn't seem to be on his immediate plate. After, he has more Alien prequels to make.

I wonder how much hope Hasbro has for the D&D movie. While Transformers still makes crazy international money four movies in, Battleship flopped and they've probably dropped GI Joe at least for the moment.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Battleship is 100% worth a watch because it's like they had two directors make two completely, diametrically opposite films about the same thing and just cut them together. It's bad, but it's also amazing.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
Can we just, like, put the next game designer who describes their RPG in its ad copy based on how close it is to D&D (Unlike other games in mine, you're not defined by class or level! NO ALIGNMENT etc, etc, you know the drill) in some sort of penalty box? Spray them with water like a misbehaving cat? New enthusiasts who've not read anything but D&D/Pathfinder ever get a pass but if you've got more than one publishing credit under your belt, no excuses.

Battleship's two movies were "Stealth Remake of ID4" and "What if a crew full of screwups actually screwed up and ruined a first contact situation" right?

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Asimo posted:

Clue was the superior TG film. :colbert:

That's not fair, though. Every other TG film is a steaming pile.

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Rolled a 1 on the random encounter table, didn't you?
In actual TG industry discussions: Does anyone here have any experience fulfilling non-book physical rewards for Kickstarters? A friend of mine is planning a Kickstarter for his RPG, Red Markets, and some potential backers would like physical rewards other than the book such as:

Custom dice (red and black d10s specifically - sharp-edged if possible)
Custom playmats - the game involves keep tracking of resources, so a playmat with counters would be very useful to keep track of item charges etc - it would look kind of like this
GM Screen (I know DrivethruRPG has a POD GM Screen thing but are there other options?)
T-shirts (I know there are POD t-shirt makers but which ones do you recommend and is it possible to make money on them - seems like there is no profit margin)

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Was Mutant Chronicles any good? I can't bring myself to watch it.

E: Two movies? Holy crap.

moths fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Feb 9, 2016

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
The two movies were "generic gung-ho pro-American-military action film about evil invading alien" and "film about a crew of alien scientists who tragically crash-land on Earth and are instantly attacked by the bloodthirsty locals, whereupon their attempts at phoning home to get rescued result in the locals ruthlessly exterminating them."

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Battleship is 100% worth a watch because it's like they had two directors make two completely, diametrically opposite films about the same thing and just cut them together. It's bad, but it's also amazing.

So like a Godfrey Ho film?

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
Stop responding to IZ posters already.

unseenlibrarian posted:

Can we just, like, put the next game designer who describes their RPG in its ad copy based on how close it is to D&D (Unlike other games in mine, you're not defined by class or level! NO ALIGNMENT etc, etc, you know the drill) in some sort of penalty box? Spray them with water like a misbehaving cat? New enthusiasts who've not read anything but D&D/Pathfinder ever get a pass but if you've got more than one publishing credit under your belt, no excuses.

I mean, this is sorta what you get with any indie industry. People talk up indie video games all the time but until the somewhat recent boom, 90% of those were things like "tetris but with some pirate decorations" or "bejeweled but with different power-ups."

The truth of the matter is that most people are not all that creative or ambitious. The only real difference is that ttgs have such a low bar of entry and a widespread culture of it that you see it more often. That's not even getting into the fact that, for enough people, D&D IS the ttg market, the start and end of it. It's really, really easy to never really learn about or get into non-D&D games. The hobby just isn't big enough to have a robust enough indie scene that it becomes impossible not to notice.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What we need, and I'm not being facetious, is a Netflix for RPGs. A way for the average person to get to the back-bench where some interesting stuff is.

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

What we need, and I'm not being facetious, is a Netflix for RPGs. A way for the average person to get to the back-bench where some interesting stuff is.

Unless you're also going to stream a quartet of semi-reasonable humans to spend 2 to 3 hours weekly with, you're describing the world's least laudable library.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
On the other hand, if John Wick is Dr. Doom...

"And Orkworld would have changed gaming, if it wasn't for that fool Wizards!"

Guy has some hangups.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Gerund posted:

Unless you're also going to stream a quartet of semi-reasonable humans to spend 2 to 3 hours weekly with, you're describing the world's least laudable library.

Oh I know. The problem is a large chunk of the hobby is committed to one system come hell or high water.

I mean, look at how bad Warhammer had to get before people started looking for alternatives. Crazy.

• Locked thread