Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?

literally a fish posted:

So the EPA are trying to make it illegal to turn road cars into racecars, and ban the sales of any product that is installed on a road car for track use only.

They've also hidden this legislation inside new lower emissions limits for commercial vehicles that have no basis in reality beyond "WE MADE THE NUMBERS SMALLER"

gently caress the EPA, man.

WELCOME TO MY WORLD IT'S REALLY CRAMPED UP IN HERE YO

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

stevobob posted:

The difference I see is that Bernie straight-up says he will raise taxes, because this poo poo is gonna cost a lot, but it will be worth it. No promise of a perpetual motion machine of lower taxes and more services.

Sanders basically wants the sane kind of healthcare / welfare etc that civilised countries already have but I think the point being made is that unless some HUGE changes happen in Congress / Senate, it's all pie in the sky poo poo that can not and will not happen. Yeah I think Sanders has it right and his plans can and do work.... but the fact is you don't have rational actors on either sides in Congress and in the Senate. They do not give a gently caress about the 99% and are all about protecting their corporate sponsors / owners. They will not increase taxes on their paymasters. They will not reduce the power of banks and corporations. They will do nothing to get wealth inequality under control.

Sanders supporters are loving dreaming if they think he stands any chance of getting a bit of his platforms through against all of that. However that's not to say the president cant have a big influence - you have up to four Supreme Court justices that are old as gently caress. Sanders probably would appoint some much better justices and manage to get them confirmed. You do not want more Alio's and Scalia's appointed.

Still, you aint getting decent healthcare until the majority of Democrats and all the Republicans are jailed and they are all replaced by something approaching human beings.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?

BloodBag posted:

This thread had reddit chat earlier, I think. The worst part right now is the loving Sanders echo chamber. I didn't care about him before, but now I loving hate him and his fanbase. I'm sure the venn diagram of Sanders fanbois and Elon Musk knob-gobblers overlaps almost completely. I guess since the death of Steve Jobs these loving people need some celebrity idolize.

Also, hearing about Sanders: I feel like I've heard less grandiose promises 8 and 4 years ago that, like these, have gone unfulfilled.

I was reading them two Solar threads and there's so much misinformation, lack of understanding on key basic concepts, and vitriol for the Hivemind Bogeyman Utility Company United Front for Hitler.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Got rid of my spoiler, threw it on my dads car to see what it would look like.

Its a little small.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

NitroSpazzz posted:

Yeah I usually just ignore anything that's a low ball or someone asking what bottom dollar is, usually not people I want to deal with anyways. Selling because I just don't ride it at all, under 1500 miles in the past two years. Selling this and the NX125 (still need to list) and won't own a street bike, only the trials and race bike. If I want to ride on the street my friend runs sportbikes4hire.com so I'll just borrow something for a weekend.

In the ongoing but not super serious truck search I've come across a couple Jeep Comanche's and I've always wanted one. I know we have a few Jeep Comanche owners that frequent this thread so anything I should be on the lookout for with these other than the obvious rust? I'd be looking for one with the 4.0L I6 most likely because owning a Jeep without that is pointless and the long wheel base would be kind of nice to have but isn't a major requirement. I'd consider the I4 engine as well I guess. Also I can't find the bed height for a stock Comanche anywhere, I'm guessing it's going to be around 36" being 4x4 but I'm curious.

Engine options:
(86 only) 2.8L GM V6: avoid like the plague.
2.5L AMC I4: Kinda weak, but will go forever.
2.1L Renault TD: gutless, rare as gently caress, and has large numbers of NLA maintenance parts, including the timing set I believe. Leave these to the crazy deezul nuts, jeep hoarders, and rare jeep collectors. I won't even touch one, they suck too hard and command far too high a price.
2.5L VM Motori TD: kinda gutless and rare as gently caress, nowhere near the parts supply problems of the Renault but I'd still avoid them.
4.0L AMC I6: if you haven't heard about this one you live under a rock. You've already mentioned you're mostly looking for one of those so I'll spare the :words:

Transmissions:
86 transmission options are confusing. Auto was the 3spd chrysler auto, I recommend avoiding it. In fact, 86s are best avoided no matter what, unless you can't find anything else in your price/condition range. Manual was one of... I think four different boxes? The AX4 and AX5 are known for barfing out second and third gear when pushed, I've seen a lot of them broken even behind the stock 2.5L motor. IIRC these could also be had with T4 and T5 transmissions, but I'm not sure. They all rotted away to nothing decades ago up here so I'm going off parts catalog info rather than actual junkyard/wrenching experience.
87-89.0 the 4.0L manual trans was a Peugeot BA-10/5. Best avoided unless you want to start collecting parts for an AX15 swap. These are a real poo poo tier transmission, they were so bad that they still remain the shortest-lived jeep transmission of all time, even compared to the crap autos they put in the ZJs, YJs, and TJs.
89.5-92 the 4.0L manual trans was an Aisin AX15. Closely related to the Toyota R150 series of Pickup and Supra fame, well supported in the aftermarket and well respected by basically everyone who owns one.
87-92 the 4.0L auto trans was the Aisin AW4. Closely related to the Toyota/Lexus A340 series that's used in half a quadrillion vehicles, and again well supported and well respected. It's the same basic design that Toyota put behind the UZ motors in Tundras even into the early 00s.
87-90 the 2.5L auto trans (this is super, super rare) was also the Aisin AW4. Same conditions apply.

Transfer cases:
I am not sure what 86 got. Probably NP228/NP229. Serviceable, but nothing to write home about.
87-92 got the NP231 and NP242. NP242 is somewhat cooler and stronger, NP231 has a significantly stronger aftermarket upgrade/support portfolio because they're far more common. Both well respected and reliable.

Diffs:
All years got the Dana 30 high pinion front diff. NP231 equipped MJs got vacuum disconnect ones, NP242s got non disconnect units. The latter is preferable but if you aren't lifting it and wheeling it, either is perfectly serviceable and not worth changing out till the vac disconnect acts up.
I'm not sure what years got them, but some MJs got an AMC 20 rearend. Fairly well respected, not much aftermarket at this point but it does exist since the FSJs and CJs also got those.
A small number (mostly metric ton MJs and some others) got the Dana 44 rearend. Well respected, no problems until you put 35"+ tires on it.
Most got Dana 35 rearends. Crap, but if you keep the stock tires on it and don't abuse it with burnouts and wheeling, it'll last quite a while usually.

Gear ratios:
3.07 - most common gear ratio for 4.0L/5 speed manual.
3.55 - came in 4.0L/4spd auto, 2.5L/3spd auto (86 only), 2.5L/4spd manual
3.73 - allegedly 4.0L/4spd auto tow package got this, but I have NEVER seen a stock XJ/MJ with 3.73s.
4.10 - 2.5L/5spd manual got these.
4.56 - 2.5L/4spd auto (87-90 only - and super rare) got these.

I have no idea what the 84-86 years (aside from the 3spd auto 2.5L - since I have worked on a few of those) got for ratios, or what the diesels got for ratios, since I've not been under the hood of a single one, or even seen one in person.

Other poo poo:
- rear slider windows are pretty rare.
- 91-92 have a better EFI system than 90 and earlier. Either way is fine, but 91-92 is better, slightly more power too.
- 91-92 fuel level senders are absolute unobtainium, since they made so few of the donors and no one is making aftermarket senders.
- bucket seats are rare, and the belts and mounting brackets are unique to the MJ. The seats themselves are exactly what the same year of 2-door XJ would get. If you want buckets, buy an MJ that already has them, or plan your junkyarding carefully.
- If your MJ has broken tail lights, hit the junkyard, or try and get me to remember to ship you a set. There is no such thing as a newly produced (OEM or aftermarket) MJ tail light, the junkyard and dusty back shelves of hole in the wall dealerships are the only place you will ever get one now.
- The rear driveshaft is the only part of a 4x4 swap that isn't 100% the same as an XJ donor of the same year would have. So 4x4 swaps are pretty common and very well documented. It only gets complicated when you also do a rearend and/or auto to manual or peugeot to aisin swap at the same time, but even then, it's mostly a matter of being methodical and careful to select the right years of donor, then having the driveshaft shortened and rebalanced once everything else is done.
- everything behind the B pillar (including the B pillar) is MJ-only parts, basically. Expect them to be sorta hard to find.
- the 7' bed would be nice for hauling house stuff, but the 6' bed will do just fine. I've hauled an incredible amount of stuff for my house with a 6' bed, including a dozen sheets of 3/4 ply at a time when I was doing the roof.

kastein fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Feb 9, 2016

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

willroc7 posted:

It's not 25 years old but since it was originally sold in the US, maybe it has those stickers. I'll look into it.

Then it amost certainly does.
Most of the importing vehicle issues come from not having those approvals.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Still, you aint getting decent healthcare until the majority of Democrats and all the Republicans are jailed and they are all replaced by something approaching human beings.

I'm praying that if Bernie does get in, we'll get a fresh crop of progressive congressmen elected at the same time. All depends on the youth vote though and we all know how fickle that is.

And ffs vote in the goddamn midterms you lazy bastards.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Kastein, so the black cherry 1991 2 door cherokee laredo 4x4 5sp was rare? It was pretty nice, but shifting it was like a stick in a box of marbles, god that thing was so vague. M'learner vehicle.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

There's the post I was waiting for, much appreciated Jeep whisperer.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
No problem. Good luck hunting!

BloodBag posted:

Kastein, so the black cherry 1991 2 door cherokee laredo 4x4 5sp was rare? It was pretty nice, but shifting it was like a stick in a box of marbles, god that thing was so vague. M'learner vehicle.

I'm not sure how you drew that conclusion from what I said (since everything I said was about MJs and I didn't really get into door counts, trim packages, or paint colors) - but the only remotely rare thing about that list is 5-speed. Manuals have been declining for decades, the same is true of XJs and MJs.

If it was vague, either you're used to really tight sportscar style boxes, or it was kinda worn and needed some parts replaced.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

kastein posted:

really tight sportscar style boxes

:wink:

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Four years of Martin Sheen would work wonders.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Enourmo posted:

And ffs vote in the goddamn midterms you lazy bastards.

I'm registered with an "I", so the progressive state of Arizona says I can't vote for anyone until November.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Dad sold his Golf the other day for way less than he wanted to but he really just wanted it gone. And since he felt bad about all the work I put into selling it he just sent me a chunk of cash from the sale!

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

The Locator posted:

I'm registered with an "I", so the progressive state of Arizona says I can't vote for anyone until November.

He means Midterm Elections, as in: November 2018, not the primaries.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Magnus Praeda posted:

He means Midterm Elections, as in: November 2018, not the primaries.

Oh. Duh. Yea, always vote in those.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Sanders supporters are loving dreaming if they think he stands any chance of getting a bit of his platforms through against all of that. However that's not to say the president cant have a big influence - you have up to four Supreme Court justices that are old as gently caress. Sanders probably would appoint some much better justices and manage to get them confirmed. You do not want more Alio's and Scalia's appointed.

This is very much the reality of the situation, and the problem is that everyone is so loving focused on what happens in the next five minutes to five days that they don't understand that this is not change that can possibly happen overnight. It realistically can't even happen in two presidential terms. Obamacare was a tiny step in the right direction and that represents an nsane amount of effort. There are a lot of people who point at Obama's optimism as some giant fault - but how the gently caress do you ever get from here to there, if you never have someone in charge who wants to get there?

The chance that Bernie could actually get us a tenth of the way to being in the same ballpark as actual first world countries is slim. Hillary would probably effect no net change. The caricature of insane people that the modern GOP consists of would probably stand a surprisingly good chance of pushing us much further towards full-on third-world.

In less depressing news, my wife is apparently now friends with the guy who played the role of "Good Cop" when I got pulled over for street racing... 14 years ago. Through completely unrelated events they ended up meeting again and he recognized her as the passenger for "some kid racing in his dad's car".

I felt somewhat vindicated when he apparently called the cop who had actually pulled me over that night an rear end in a top hat.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe

Geirskogul posted:

Unironically.
Mine would be great if I hadn't dropped it, out of its case, 5 feet on to the concrete stadium floor. Now 1/2" of the top doesn't respond to touches. I love, love, love the buttons on the back, will always have a phone with buttons on the back from now on.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Ok, so I think I'm going to go with the Moto G, and I noticed on Amazon that I can get a second gen for 99 bucks, is the third gen 80 bucks better tho?

Also Cricket offers the Moto E for 30 bucks with activation, but they don't offer the G what the gently caress.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

I dropped my note 3 in water and started having water fuckery issues that escalated for 4 months.. I was looking at new phones, but opted to just replace the motherboard in mine for $80. Long story short, you can get note 3's unlocked for about $180 and I honestly haven't ran into any performance issues, water droppage withstanding. The stylus comes in handy with paperless billing as well which I didn't think about before I bought it, but worked out anyway. Also it's nice to be able to mute tv's in restaurants.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

So this space systems concepts class has differential equations, dynamics and physics 2 as prereqs. fair enough.

this professor doesnt seem to have gotten the memo, he's throwing in poo poo from thermodynamics (which I and half the class have just started), fluid mechanics (has thermo as prereq) and heat transfer (has FLUIDS as prereq). and like getting annoyed that we don't know this stuff.

I mean call me crazy but I don't think something with class number 3530 that has the listed prereqs is meant to be a senior-level course.

Fender Anarchist fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Feb 10, 2016

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Enourmo posted:

So this space systems concepts class has differential equations, dynamics and physics 2 as prereqs. fair enough.

this professor doesnt seem to have gotten the memo, he's throwing in poo poo from thermodynamics (which I and half the class have just started), fluid mechanics (has thermo as prereq) and heat transfer (has FLUIDS as prereq). and like getting annoyed that we don't know this stuff.

I mean call me crazy but I don't think something with class number 3530 that has the listed prereqs is meant to be a senior-level course.

The real fun part comes when you start a career and realize you're only gonna use a quarter of everything you just listed here.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

Deeters posted:

The real fun part comes when you start a career and realize you're only gonna use a quarter of everything you just listed here.

this seems appropriate:

Also, get ready to not get taken seriously unless you're already employed while in school: https://www.insidehighered.com/news/2015/01/20/study-finds-big-gaps-between-student-and-employer-perceptions

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

keykey posted:

this seems appropriate:

Also, get ready to not get taken seriously unless you're already employed while in school: https://www.insidehighered.com/news/2015/01/20/study-finds-big-gaps-between-student-and-employer-perceptions

One of my coworkers and I (we're both MechEs) were reviewing some resumes that my office got. I was surprised at how many there were without any sort of mechanical experience. I don't expect everyone to go out and get an internship with a major company, but there was barely even any "I work on my own vehicles" listed.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

Deeters posted:

One of my coworkers and I (we're both MechEs) were reviewing some resumes that my office got. I was surprised at how many there were without any sort of mechanical experience. I don't expect everyone to go out and get an internship with a major company, but there was barely even any "I work on my own vehicles" listed.

Does that kind of thing help on a resume? Obviously, it can't beat out an internship but could that decide between two almost equal candidates with no experience?

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

keykey posted:

I really struggle with that perception, which is extremely frustrating because to a large extent I empathize with the employers. Coworkers around my age are way too rigid, they lose their poo poo if you deviate from the rules in order to get something done. I've got coworkers that will just stop working on RFPs and tell the account manager we're declining to quote because the data submitted is missing a date of birth in the census for one out of fifty employees:psyduck:, like holy poo poo just plug into the system that they're 50 or something and move on, I think we're comfortable with the 0.5% variance in pricing if it turns out they're either 70 or 20 years old.

ZincBoy
May 7, 2006

Think again Jimmy!

mariooncrack posted:

Does that kind of thing help on a resume? Obviously, it can't beat out an internship but could that decide between two almost equal candidates with no experience?

Yes. For engineering at least. Given a set of candidates all fresh out of school, someone with experience or hobbies that indicate an interest in the relevant field is a tie breaker. It does not help you get past the HR filter in most cases, but it does help once the resumes are on the managers desk (for me and the other managers I have discussed this with). This is generally only true for inexperienced people as anyone with work experience would have that used as the metric.

It doesn't need to be your hobby or anything big, but even indicating that you have been a member of a (tech) club and actually be able to articulate what you did and how you did it is a big step up on a lot of candidates. The people that I have interviewed that were the strongest candidates were the ones that had actually done something on their own that required engineering skills.

There are lots of fresh grads with high marks and absolutely no clue.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

mariooncrack posted:

To me it would, but I'm dealing with repairs of 30+ year old equipment. Someone at Lockheed looking for engineers to design the F35's replacement might think differently.

Every halfway decent engineering school has some sort of project team like FSAE, MiniBaja, robotics, etc., so it blows me away when someone has a resume that consists of their courses and working at a bookstore for 4 summers.

Edit:

ZincBoy posted:

This. Saw a new kid (and I say kid lightly since I'm only 25) who didn't know what a feeler gauge was.

Deeters fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Feb 10, 2016

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Everyone knows a feeler gauge tells you how sad an arbitrary thing is

Kids these days 🙄

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

leica posted:

I had a roommate in the military whose goal in life was to be a millionaire but had no idea how he was going to accomplish it, and was flabbergasted that I wasn't motivated by money. How could you not want to be a millionaire? Everybody wants to be rich :colbert:

Late to the party here -

I don't want to be rich, just comfortable. I just would rather have an assortment of decent cars, a home that's energy efficient and a wife that loves me. Luckily I have achieved all that, so its just pay off debt and enjoy life.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

ZincBoy posted:

I'm still astounded how some of these people made it to the final year of EE without knowing how to build the simplest circuits on a breadboard. JUST HOW!?!?

And in a similar vein, I landed my current job/career because of my Baja project. As a student without any relevant EE experience, I threw it on the bottom of my resume and it piqued their interest. Got the interview, apparently conveyed well enough that I'm competent and willing to learn, impressed them enough working over the summer that I've got a contract signed for when I graduate later this spring.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Bajaha posted:

I'm still astounded how some of these people made it to the final year of EE without knowing how to build the simplest circuits on a breadboard. JUST HOW!?!?

Cheating.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Tusen Takk posted:

Kids these days 🙄

Talks about kids but throws in an emoji.
I assume it's an emoji cuz it's rendering as a box.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Bajaha posted:

How simple we talking? I can blink a light and follow a schematic, can I pretend to be an EE up until the point where I open my mouth and suggest writing good software?

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

Far Cry 4 is awesome.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

kimbo305 posted:

Talks about kids but throws in an emoji.
I assume it's an emoji cuz it's rendering as a box.

my joke was multifaceted :D

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Seat Safety Switch posted:

How simple we talking? I can blink a light and follow a schematic, can I pretend to be an EE up until the point where I open my mouth and suggest writing good software?

I've seen 'peers' struggle with many types of circuits and problems, usually I figure it's because they relied on their lab partners to actually get poo poo done and just coasted through the labs, statistically you'd think that eventually these resistant learners would end up in a group together then they'd maybe learn a little, but maybe not. Commonly I'd see things like giant rats nests of wiring protruding from the breadboards with connections all shifted over by one, unpowerd IC's, long leads on through-hole components creating unwanted connections because they weaved a bunch of components across each other, and order of magnitude errors with component selection. There is very little understanding of parasitic capacitance, or component specifications, or how to read a spec sheet.

But this most recent case made my head explode was them failing to properly design and build a FIRST ORDER RC LOW PASS FILTER to filter the output from an microcontroller working as an arbitrary waveform generator . ITS TWO GODDAMN COMPONENTS and they know what frequency range their generated signal should be in. This is like first year high school stuff.

I can't make this poo poo up.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Since you guys know your electrical poo poo I have a question. I have a pair of Bose 101 amplified speakers for my TV, and when i turn up the gain so I can control the volume with the TV remote I get lots of humming noise at low volume. It goes away with the TV off. I can reduce it by turning down the gain but then the volume is reduced as well. The RCA cable coming out of it is very cheap, and I was thinking that if I soldered in a higher quality cable with better shielding the humming would be reduced if not eliminated, am I correct?

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Put an alligator clip between the two on the bare case back of each. If the hum is gone, it's a ground issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cellular Suicide
Dec 9, 2005

Classical 33's at 45RPM

leica posted:

Since you guys know your electrical poo poo I have a question. I have a pair of Bose 101 amplified speakers for my TV, and when i turn up the gain so I can control the volume with the TV remote I get lots of humming noise at low volume. It goes away with the TV off. I can reduce it by turning down the gain but then the volume is reduced as well. The RCA cable coming out of it is very cheap, and I was thinking that if I soldered in a higher quality cable with better shielding the humming would be reduced if not eliminated, am I correct?

Don't have a ton of EE experience, but after building a few headphone amps/tube preamps I can almost assure you the quality of the RCA cables is not the issue. You can almost wrap aluminum foil between the connections and, as long as there's continuity, it'll transmit the signal without alteration. You may have a ground loop issue, try making sure they are both firmly grounded to the same source and go from there.

• Locked thread