Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

wilfredmerriweathr posted:

poo poo, that does make more sense! I'm just surprised they did right by him.

I'm also really surprised about the whole Audi reliability thing; I suddenly really really want an s4...

Right? I'm gonna test drive one tomorrow. It'll be a year before I have my finances in order to buy one, but I'm pretty excited at the prospect none the less.

Edit: I drove an S4 today. I want it.

Disgruntled Bovine fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Feb 7, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

I'm also really surprised about the whole Audi reliability thing; I suddenly really really want an s4...

to be fair my father used to be general sales manager at this dealership and has known the general manager and associated top dudes for 30 years. i shudder to think how much some regular person would be getting hosed.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

I suspect its less of an issue with Audi getting better, and more of a Toyota and Honda trying to cut corners type thing.

As to weird stuff on new cars, it does seem to be an all or nothing issue. My 95 Mexican built Jetta had a fun ignition issue that no one was ever able to fix and I just dealt with until I got rid of it. My previous 2 VWs, mk4 GLI, mk6 TDI Golf and current MK7 R have all been flawless. I'm guessing your Jetta was built on a Friday or a Monday :v:

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe
I want to find a beater VW with a manual and all-wheel/4-wheel drive but that "beater" part doesn't exist :(

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice

scuz posted:

I want to find a beater VW with a manual and all-wheel/4-wheel drive but that "beater" part doesn't exist :(

About the closest thing you'd find in North America, if you can find one, would be an 80's Quantum or 90's Passat with a Syncro system. After those, I can't think of any VWs that ticked both boxes until the Mk4 R32 came around.

jeff8472
Dec 28, 2000

He died from watch-in-ass disease
Relative found a 2004 Touareg V8 with ~164,000 miles for $5000 CAD (currently $3600 USD). Is this likely needing some horribly expensive maintenance? Is this car a bad idea?

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

jeff8472 posted:

Relative found a 2004 Touareg V8 with ~164,000 miles for $5000 CAD (currently $3600 USD). Is this likely needing some horribly expensive maintenance? Is this car a bad idea?

It's an 11 year old used VW, yes it's going to be expensive.

First google search. http://www.clubtouareg.com/forums/f43/transmission-problems-12655.html have fun.

Haha, a little more reading and apparently 2004 had tons of transmission issues.

veedubfreak fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Feb 9, 2016

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
My friend has an early 2000s V6 Toureg (think it's 2003?) And it's in the shop every few months. Always seems to have the check engine light on and no one knows how to fix it.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
I always thought it was kinda crazy that you could get the Touareg with everything from a v6 to a v8 to a diesel v10 (I think the v10 was diesel?)

E: and a w12 apparently

A friend had the small v6 in her 2004 and it was sooo slow

wilfredmerriweathr fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Feb 10, 2016

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

I always thought it was kinda crazy that you could get the Touareg with everything from a v6 to a v8 to a diesel v10 (I think the v10 was diesel?)

E: and a w12 apparently

A friend had the small v6 in her 2004 and it was sooo slow

The V10 TDI is a beast too. Something like 550 lb/ft of torks.

Brock Landers
Jul 28, 2004

You're a donkey. I like that.

veedubfreak posted:

Also a beast to work on as the engine has to come out for things like O2 sensors and the water pump.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

veedubfreak posted:

One of my friends has one and he gave me a ride in it last month. The torque and acceleration are brutal and unrelenting, so amazing.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Does this look like an A6 with these tail lamps?

This guy was absolutely hauling rear end down the road, swerving in and out of lanes and flashing high beams at anyone in either lane.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Bovril Delight posted:

Does this look like an A6 with these tail lamps?

Yes.

vv Well poo poo. But to be fair the question is whether they look like A6 lights and they do. :colbert: vv

Throatwarbler fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Feb 12, 2016

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

I think those are A7 tail lights.

Edit - you guys decide

A7

A6

Mr. Apollo fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Feb 12, 2016

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
An Audi driver being a douche on the road? Well I never.

Sir.Tucker
Sep 17, 2006

For the Workforce!
Car: 2009 VW GTI (MK5)
Mileage: ~106k
Service: 5k mile oil changes, 10k intervals for everything else VW suggests.

Problem: Between 1,000-2,000 rpm under light throttle (25%) off-boost, there is a ticking noise coming from the engine bay. It's hard to describe exactly... but it kind of sounds like you're running low on oil and you can hear the valves chattering away. Any throttle input above 2.2k and the engine sounds normal.

DSG service has been done and the intake valves have been de-carboned via walnut blasting. I don't think it's fuel line or wastegate rattle. And I don't recall hearing this type of noise before the winter time.

I was planning on having a shop take care of the timing chain and tensioner at 120k like Bentley suggests, but I'm worried.... don't want to skip timing and ruin valves/head/engine.

I know DI engines are noisy, but I thought I'd ask anyway.

Edit: No mods.

Sir.Tucker fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Feb 13, 2016

dumpieXL
Sep 7, 2007
redacks
I'm sorry for asking this, I'm sure there so much dust on this question that'll choke a few of you..
Will someone give me an opinion on late 90s-early 00s 1.8T stuff(Audi or VW)?

Moving away from a decade of fairly stock Hondas, only one new enough to have power windows, so I'm curious about upkeep and working on them.
(I read a little bit on common issues and what I should probably look out for.)

Also I live in CO so AWD would be nice, but I'd probably feel the bug to up the boost and I'd worry about the additional problems of 2 more drive wheels.. :ohdear:

I haven't even looked at common part costs, this is a bad post.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

2008 GTI here. It seems that my pink G12 coolant is running a bit low. The liquid is *just* at the minimum line. Does anyone know what I should buy to fill it up?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

obi_ant posted:

2008 GTI here. It seems that my pink G12 coolant is running a bit low. The liquid is *just* at the minimum line. Does anyone know what I should buy to fill it up?

I went to O'Reillys and got the guy from behind the counter to get me a bottle from the back. Made sure to specify "the pink one". It was concentrated, so I had to mix it with distilled water.

I'm pretty sure it was this.
http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/d...#itemDetailTab_

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice
If you're going to mix with water to top off, head to the grocery store for a gallon of distilled water, it's only like a buck fifty.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

What proportions did you mix the coolant with the water?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
There was a chart on the back of the bottle. I think 50/50 is standard, 60% water if you live in a hot climate, 60% coolant if you live in a cold one. But, double check...

I mixed some in an old water bottle and used maybe a cup to go from "just a tad too low" to in the middle. Don't use anything you will later want to drink out of, obviously.

borkencode
Nov 10, 2004
Activated my VW bribe today.

In other news VW hired the guy that created the compensation packages for 9/11 families and the GM ignition scandal. Article

e: 30k mile service came out to $470, which uh was covered by the bribe, but ouch.

borkencode fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Feb 14, 2016

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

VW Plans to Make U.S. Diesel Owners an Offer They Can't Refuse

quote:

More than four months after the scandal broke in the United States, Europe’s leading car maker has still not won approval for a fix for any of the vehicles. Last week it named a new head of its U.S. legal department to help resolve the case.

Feinberg told the paper he was unlikely to meet his goal of setting up the claims fund within 60 to 90 days, saying: “My hands are tied as long as VW and the authorities have not overcome their differences.”

He said he expected an overwhelming majority to accept the eventual offer, and that VW had given him full authority to set the level.

“Look at my prior cases: 97% of the victims of Sept. 11 accepted my offer. At GM and BP it was more than 90%, too. That has to be my target for VW,” Feinberg said.

Sounds like a generous buy-back offer might be on the way...

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

bizwank posted:

VW Plans to Make U.S. Diesel Owners an Offer They Can't Refuse

Sounds like a generous buy-back offer might be on the way...
He's going to make them an offer they can't refuse.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
Now I'm picturing a TDI driving off the end of a pier with a pile of cinderblocks in the trunk.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
"I'd suggest you take my offer Mr. Smith. I think you'd find the alternative... unpleasant"

*opens briefcase to reveal 1000 mile capacity AdBlue tank*

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

borkencode posted:

Activated my VW bribe today.

In other news VW hired the guy that created the compensation packages for 9/11 families and the GM ignition scandal. Article

e: 30k mile service came out to $470, which uh was covered by the bribe, but ouch.

What does the 30k service include? I thought it was oil change only.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
It's usually a coolant flush, brake flush, some filters and oil change.

Assuming it coincides with 3 years.

David Corbett
Feb 6, 2008

Courage, my friends; 'tis not too late to build a better world.
Does anyone know how VAG's new seven-speed dual-clutch S-tronic transmission, which is being used in the new A4, has been? I'm terribly impressed by the B9 A4, but its decision to move away from the glorious ZF eight-speed to a DCT has me more than a little bit concerned.

Not only has the A4 lost a ratio, it's gone from a transmission that's been treated kind of like the Second Coming to a system that's known for being less reliable and more unrefined. Has there been any upside at all?

Edit: basically I've been confused as gently caress by the release info, which apparently used to say that the 8-speed would be available. It definitely is on the S4. I have no idea what a quattro a4 would even be using. Also, this thread is terrifying.

Edit 2: Canadian market, if it makes any difference.

Edit 3: I suspect it might be the 0B5/DL501 transmission, which isn't new. I know it is at least a wet-clutch design but don't know much more than that.

David Corbett fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Feb 16, 2016

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

David Corbett posted:

Does anyone know how VAG's new seven-speed dual-clutch S-tronic transmission, which is being used in the new A4, has been? I'm terribly impressed by the B9 A4, but its decision to move away from the glorious ZF eight-speed to a DCT has me more than a little bit concerned.

Not only has the A4 lost a ratio, it's gone from a transmission that's been treated kind of like the Second Coming to a system that's known for being less reliable and more unrefined. Has there been any upside at all?

Edit: basically I've been confused as gently caress by the release info, which apparently used to say that the 8-speed would be available. It definitely is on the S4. I have no idea what a quattro a4 would even be using. Also, this thread is terrifying.

Edit 2: Canadian market, if it makes any difference.

Edit 3: I suspect it might be the 0B5/DL501 transmission, which isn't new. I know it is at least a wet-clutch design but don't know much more than that.
The new B9 S4 is getting the ZF 8 speed the B9 A4 is getting the 7 speed DSG. Assuming it's the same DSG that's in the B8 S4, it's a nice unit. The only real complaints I have with it are that spiffing between reverse and drive takes a few seconds (during which time the car will roll if it's on an incline so keep your foot in the brake) and if the transmission pre-selects the wrong gear it takes a second or so to select the correct one. For example, you might be gently accelerating onto the highway so it selects the next gear up (5 -> 6) but then you suddenly floor it wanting a downshift. The transmission will hang for a moment before it selects the correct gear. Only happened to me twice but it could be disconcerting especially if you're passing on a two lane road. The best solution I found is the lightly tap the accelerator to get it to downshift at least one ear or to put it into sport mode.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Wait, the S4 is getting the torque converter and the A4 is getting the DSG? That seems backwards.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Jealous Cow posted:

Wait, the S4 is getting the torque converter and the A4 is getting the DSG? That seems backwards.
I know but all the spec sheets say the A4 now comes with the 7 speed S Tronic transmission which is Audi's name for their DSG boxes. The B8 S4 had the 7 speed S Tronic. Audi is now putting the ZF 8 speed into all the higher power cars. Previously it was in the RS6, RS7 and all the "8 cars".

Audi says the ZF unit can handle more power, give better fuel efficiency, and is a smoother transmission.

Mr. Apollo fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Feb 17, 2016

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Jealous Cow posted:

Why? The DSG is there for cost reasons.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I just got over giving up the third pedal for a dual clutch system, I don't like the idea of giving that up for a slushbox.

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

Hey VAG guys,

I'm making a junkyard run for a friend, who needs a complete airbox/intake assembly for his 2001 Jetta Wolfsburg 1.8t (thing came with an aftermarket CAI, needs to pass emissions visual). Does anyone know what the other compatible years are? From a quick google I'm seeing that generation is 1999-2006, but do the intakes vary by engine?

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Mr. Apollo posted:

I think those are A7 tail lights.

Edit - you guys decide

A7

A6

A7 is right. Saw him again coming up on the highway today, weaving in and out of lanes, flashing brights at 6am. Almost ran into me when he swerved into my lane trying to cut into any gap possible.

Sadly paper tags so not much I can do until I can get his real plate, short of following him somewhere and probably getting shot. :clint:

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
'15 Jetta TDI loaner today while the wife's Passat wagon is back in to get the windshield replaced that they cracked earlier in the week.

The chick doing the paperwork didn't care for my crack about "gotta do something with all the stop-sale cars!" :v:

And I can't say that I care for the DSG, I realized it wasn't a regular torque converter automatic as soon as I pulled out of the dealership. Nice car otherwise!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brock Landers
Jul 28, 2004

You're a donkey. I like that.
2016 Passat with just shy of 1400 miles wouldn't start after work today. It has keyless go and it unlocked when I pulled the handle. The dash did NOT light up after I opened the door which was the first sign something was up. Pushed the starter button and nothing. Locked and unlocked, nothing. Tried holding the key to the special place by the steering wheel and pushing the button: nothing. Was about to call for a tow but remembered I still have a trial CarNET subscription. Pulled out my phone, told the app to refresh the cars status and voila! The dash lit up and I could start the car like nothing happened. Here's hoping this was a one time affair...