Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.
Marshawn's run is better than Lynn Swann's catch, but Lynn Swann is bullshit and that shouldn't be enough to get you in the hall. I'd like to see Marshawn at least considered when the time comes, but it's tough to imagine him getting in considering his competition will be folks like Calvin Johnson.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Homestar Runner
Oct 9, 2012

This is the best videogame
I have ever played!
Marshawn Lynch isn't getting anywhere even vaguely near the Hall

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Athanatos posted:

Announces before the season it's his last and gets to do the retirement tour

Stays in the league for two more years on 1 week contracts with every team

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

Athanatos posted:

Announces before the season it's his last and gets to do the retirement tour

This is one of my least favorite things in sports

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

I'd say Marshawn will get into the hall, but after a good few years of eligibility.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I just can't see Marshawn getting in the hall even though he's essentially Earl Campbell

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
I've resigned myself to him not getting into the HoF, just like I resigned myself to his retirement last offseason.

Now if the NFL ever makes a Hall of loving Awesome Plays, his rear end better be in there front and center. :colbert:

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Given how much he gave the media the finger in his career it'd be a hell of a climb for him to get in. Like after the current generation of sportswriters retires.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
If Fred Taylor isn't Hall of Fame worthy than Marshawn Lynch sure as hell isn't

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
the only RBs in the last 20 years that are getting near the hall are Peterson and maybe Tomlinson

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

seiferguy posted:

A lot of discussion is coming up around whether or not Marshawn Lynch is HoF-worthy. This is a weird spot because Marshawn owns, but there's a lot of things that would really have to go his way in order for people to think he's HoF worthy. He's 35th all time in rushing, and even if you combine his Buffalo numbers, he still doesn't beat Shaun Alexander in total rushing. So it comes down to a narrative, being:

1. He had fantastic YAC.
2. He played in a pass-heavy era where the running back wasn't as valued.
3. On top of point #1, he played behind some really bad offensive lines. Shaun Alexander played behind a HoF OT and a probably future HoF OG.
4. People start to realize that RBs have short shelf lives.
5. He had one of the greatest playoff rushes in history (this is some Jack Morris poo poo right here), and overall was an excellent playoff RB.
6. He was the most feared RB (lol), which forced defenses to stack the box against him, which allowed for more Russell Wilson bullshit.

Overall, he's a fringe guy and I'd love to see him in the HoF because goddamn he was good in his short time, but I ultimately don't see it happening.

Does Lynch deserve a busy in Canton? Eh, probably not. But the HoF should have a spot that does nothing but show beastmode.gif on infinite loop

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

Ross Angeles posted:

the only RBs in the last 20 years that are getting near the hall are Peterson and maybe Tomlinson

Maybe? I'd figure he is a lock

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

I figure the sub-par YPC and lack of postseason success will cost Tomlinson. He was basically a TD vulture.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Ross Angeles posted:

"maybe" Tomlinson

Jesus Ross climb off the cross, it's going to be ok

Do you also say "maybe" Gates?

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Intruder posted:

Do you also say "maybe" Gates?

Gates is in the discussion for best undrafted player ever, definitely the best undrafted TE ever, and is a top 5 TE of all time. He should be a HoF lock but the steroid thing will probably hurt him

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

Ross Angeles posted:

I figure the sub-par YPC and lack of postseason success will cost Tomlinson. He was basically a TD vulture.

Not that you don't know any of this, but dude is a MVP/OPOY, 5 times Pro Bowler, 4 times 1st team All Pro, record for single season touchdowns, 5th all time in yards, has better YPC than Emmitt Smith, is part of the NFL 00s Team, there's no way he isn't on the Hall

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

I'd be so embarrassed if my quarter back wrote a letter to another man like that calling him daddy

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

whypick1 posted:

I've resigned myself to him not getting into the HoF, just like I resigned myself to his retirement last offseason.

Now if the NFL ever makes a Hall of loving Awesome Plays, his rear end better be in there front and center. :colbert:

I say it should be called Hall of Beastmode. Just him. I like Marshawn. He was a beast, but sadly he ain't HOF material.

Not to be a homer, would Frank Gore even sniff HOF? I mean he did break the 10k mark. (wow he has over 12k)

Shindragon fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Feb 10, 2016

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
Yeah if Fred Taylor can't make it Lynch will have a tough time

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Ross Angeles posted:

A guy who put up more or less a minimum of 1,400 rushing yards and 400 receiving yards a year for seven straight years was "basically a TD vulture".

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont
Lynch isn't going in the hall of fame but a replay of that run should go in

Adlai Stevenson
Mar 4, 2010

Making me ashamed to feel the way that I do

JT Jag posted:

A guy who put up more or less a minimum of 1,400 rushing yards and 400 receiving yards a year for seven straight years was "basically a TD vulture".

Ross is having a really emotional week

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

Adlai Stevenson posted:

Ross is always having a really emotional week

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

4 RING SHRIMP posted:

I'd be so embarrassed if my quarter back wrote a letter to another man like that calling him daddy
Russell Wilson is a sub

Dubious
Mar 7, 2006

The Heroes the Vikings Deserve
Lipstick Apathy
the only RBs in today's generation I can see getting in are Peterson and Tomlinson. Lynch is cool and good but I just don't see it.

Dutchy
Jul 8, 2010

Shindragon posted:

I say it should be called Hall of Beastmode. Just him. I like Marshawn. He was a beast, but sadly he ain't HOF material.

Not to be a homer, would Frank Gore even sniff HOF? I mean he did break the 10k mark. (wow he has over 12k)

Sadly I think Frank Gore will have to be content with knowing 49ers fans would take a bullet for him.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
If Jed York was also in the way they would be really conflicted though...

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

Dubious posted:

the only RBs in today's generation I can see getting in are Peterson and Tomlinson. Lynch is cool and good but I just don't see it.

Charles has an outside chance. Well he should but, being as things are, probably not.

Durandal1707
Oct 11, 2013
Yeah, don't get this whole 'Tomlinson isn't a first ballot HOFer' thing - he was straight up the best player at his position for a solid six years, which is an eternity for an RB. League MVP, touchdown record, an all pro several times.. his YPC was crazy during his best years too. If he isn't one, I don't know what it'd take for an RB to get in.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
Marshawn should get in for being rad as hell and also it would make that one jets poster who did baseball scout work really mad as he kept saying Seattle got swindled for paying Lynch top 5 back money

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.

NC-17 posted:

Charles has an outside chance. Well he should but, being as things are, probably not.

Just curious as to why Charles has only an outside chance? Does he need a few more years of good production to get up there in totals with other HoFers? He has the highest career YPC and is definitely one of the best pass-catching RBs.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

As Forever_Peace demonstrated in this thread, Charles is basically the best RB of the past decade.

No way he doesn't get in.

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

I was talking to peachy Peach about kissy Kiss. He bought me a soda.
I still think Marshawn will get in. I think it more or less depends on continued success in Seattle, like if they continue to go deep into the playoffs/sb appearances. The Seahawks' story doesn't exist without Marshawn.

Apart from the current Pats dynasty, the Hall has been generous to members of teams with sustained success. Eg, 70s Steelers, Cowboys and Raiders, 80s/early 90s 9ers, 90s Cowboys and even the 90s Bills are filtering in.

Marshawn Lynch is really famous, and as I've said before in this discussion, it isn't the Hall of Stats

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Speaking of other Seahawks:

quote:

Sherman reminisced about playing Pokémon video games and the Pokémon trading card game during his time at Stanford, noting he was most elated to catch a Dratini so that he could raise it into a Dragonite, because as Pokémon fans know, "Dragonite is a frickin beast," said Sherman.

He apparently also has a holographic Charizard.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Gen 1 Dragonite IS a frickin beast.

Richard Sherman owns.

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont

MY NIGGA D-LINK posted:

Marshawn Lynch is really famous, and as I've said before in this discussion, it isn't the Hall of Stats

It's the hall of at least some stats, and the way the league is starting to follow the numbers more means stats are now more important, especially as crusty old voters die and get replaced by younger bloods who grew up with stats being more important. They don't just let you in for being awesome. One thing that really helps is holding a few records and awards, but I don't think Marshawn holds any meaningful ones. He never even led the league in rushing at least once, and I don't know if there is an RB in the hall who never accomplished that. His time in buffalo is uninspiring.

The Seahawks aren't nearly at the level of the other dynasties you mentioned. And if they continue to be good without him, well doesn't that actually make him look less significant?

Marshawn is baller as hell but he's not going in the hall of fame

Febreeze fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Feb 10, 2016

Magicpants
Sep 15, 2011

Certified Poster
yeah Tomlinson is a pretty fringe guy, but I think he gets in because his playing style was influential to more important guys like Dion Lewis

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.
Plus, could you imagine Lynch's acceptance speech, it'd be amazing!

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

seiferguy posted:

Speaking of other Seahawks:

He apparently also has a holographic Charizard.

https://twitter.com/RSherman_25/status/695645570170380288?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
Charles is very fringy due to no postseason glory, he's also like 60th all time in rushing yards, 2 seasons cut very early due to ACL tears hurts, although that may give him a few more years to keep playing at a high level

wow Mike Vick has more career rushing yards than Jonathan Stewart, Duce Staley, Fred Jackson and many others

Pron on VHS fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Feb 10, 2016

• Locked thread