Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
More scans are out. The mood matrix is back, to nobody's surprise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Looks like yeah, one of Apollo's cases is magic themed. Probably the magician's Grand Prix Max won in JFA. Trucy's involved, she's the defendant, and Bonnie here's a witness.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

I'm actually surprised Shu isn't having anything to do with this game since I know how much he loves his magic

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
If Apollo ever becomes a defendant, I wonder if Edgeworth will be the prosecutor. It's practically a running gag at this point.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

And it seems like Athena's just Apollo's partner now, which I don't mind. They'll probably reveal a new partner for Phoenix's cases, I'd say a native of Kurain. Pipe dream it's Maya, but I'm not holding my breath.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

No screens of Athena as the Attorney for a case still. :ohdear:

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
gently caress yeah Athena's back :toot:

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Trucy is a defendant? Oh snap

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

I hope Athena gets a case or at least Apollo and Athena alternate

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Watch Nick's partner be Ema again.

IceBorg
Oct 23, 2012

I KINDA DOUBT THAT!

Waffleman_ posted:

Trucy pulled a rabbit out of her hat!

So my theory right now is that the green Gramarye is Apollo's father because we need even more drama in that magic group and also because Valant needs to suffer even more by being the only one who didn't get it on with Thalassa.

Also Zak will have something to do with the murder or the motive despite being dead because his dickness is here still in death.

E:also Valant will be the victim because why not, the series hates him.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Clearly Zak didn't die he just let his twin brother take the fall

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I'm already seeing the pun in bunny's name because her name is Mimi which means ears.

I'm calling her Bonnie, myself.

Edit: Bonnie Hatter.

E2: Actually, that's totally an Alice dress behind her so maybe her act is Wonderland themed.

Waffleman_ fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Feb 9, 2016

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

I'm sure that the Green Gramarye is also responsible for a series of horrible events that end in their karmic death.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

alcharagia posted:

Umineko no Naku Koro ni basically has this, the detective's like "so are you a boy or a girl" and the androgynous character is like "Does it really matter what gender I am? Is it gonna gently caress with you if I'm different from what you think I am?" and the detective's like "yeah you're right" and then it's never brought up again.

That's neat.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

alcharagia posted:

Umineko no Naku Koro ni basically has this, the detective's like "so are you a boy or a girl" and the androgynous character is like "Does it really matter what gender I am? Is it gonna gently caress with you if I'm different from what you think I am?" and the detective's like "yeah you're right" and then it's never brought up again.

Eh, that's questionably accurate. That character says their gender doesn't matter, but in an alternate universe, that character having a sexuality and gender identity crisis causes them to become a mass murderer...maybe. Or maybe not! Nobody knows!

Fuckin' Umineko, man.

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Feb 9, 2016

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Waiting for the glorious return of Gumshoe.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

mabels big day posted:

Trucy is a defendant? Oh snap

Welcome to the family, Trucy

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Waiting for the glorious return of Gumshoe.

Police Commissioner Gumshoe.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

He has the lowest salary on the force. Poor Gumshoe

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

No sign of Maya yet, right? :ohdear: You'd think she'd show up if we're in Kurain!

Since when did Kurain get a whole kingdom, anyway?

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Raxivace posted:

Eh, that's questionably accurate. That character says their gender doesn't matter, but in an alternate universe, that character having a sexuality and gender identity crisis causes them to become a mass murderer...maybe. Or maybe not! Nobody knows!

Fuckin' Umineko, man.

I mean I'd personally say that Lion and Sayo are two different characters even though they're the same human but that doesn't make you incorrect, the two truths can exist simultaneously as long as the cat box is closed if you will

aa6 needs to come out soon so i can play a mystery game without any alternate timelines for once in my life

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

I hope there's no new prosecutor in Japanifornia and Apollo and Athena's cases just cycle through the cast we already have.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Silver Falcon posted:

No sign of Maya yet, right? :ohdear: You'd think she'd show up if we're in Kurain!

We still don't know the country's relation, if any, to the town of Kurain, California.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

hopeandjoy posted:

I hope there's no new prosecutor in Japanifornia and Apollo and Athena's cases just cycle through the cast we already have.

Looks like new prosecutor is in the Japanifornia courtroom interrogating the witness to Apollo's case though.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
Green Gramarye is Apollo's father, Eustice Justice.

hopeandjoy posted:

but not Klavier

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

This, but he only worked his way up to that position because he needed the higher base pay in order to actually make a salary.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

To make up for all the years of sub-minimum wage Gumshoe got because of him, Edgeworth pulled some strings and gave him the Police Commissioner position because all the ones following Gant also turned out to be monsters.

Gumshoe still lives on Edgeworth's couch, though.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

alcharagia posted:

aa6 needs to come out soon so i can play a mystery game without any alternate timelines for once in my life

Yeah, as much as I enjoy those games that use that kind of gimmick...it really does sort of feeling like not having some kind of timeline bullshit is more of an anomaly now than having it.

I like that Ace Attorney is more or less committed to doing its own thing despite what everyone else is doing.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Even Ace Attorney fell to the most overdone Japanese mystery trope, the whole illegitimatea/abandoned/adopted daughter thing.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Even with that, I liked how AA4 handled the adopted daughter thing though, by having Phoenix be the one to take Trucy in at what was arguably his absolute lowest point in the entire franchise.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Umineko doesn't have any alternate timelines :confused:

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

it doesn't have alternate timelines i suppose but it has the different fragments, that's obviously what they mean

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

alcharagia posted:

Thank God I'm not the only one who thought that. You can't bring up any plot device being common in Japanese media without risking a lot of useless "but Westerners do it too?" discussion.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

is there some rash of mystery games with alternate timelines i've never heard of?

Note to Self
Mar 21, 2012

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Looks like new prosecutor is in the Japanifornia courtroom interrogating the witness to Apollo's case though.

The site updated with a bio, and I could make out the words "international prosecutor."

VERY COOL MAN
Jun 24, 2011

THESE PACKETS ARE... SUMMARILY DEALT WITH

voltcatfish posted:

Clearly Zak didn't die he just let his twin brother take the fall

Christopher Nolan's Ace Attorney?

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

Silver Falcon posted:

She'll be back. The only returning characters they've mentioned have been the playable lawyers and the requisite Payne. Maya will likely be shown after Trucy unless her posters are confirmation enough along with both Ema and Gumshoe because I demand both. Then they'll start previewing the first three cases.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Cake Attack posted:

is there some rash of mystery games with alternate timelines i've never heard of?

they're not actually that common but at the same time they're not uncommon, you've got when they cry, zero escape, the infinity games, ghost trick, time hollow, shadow of destiny, flower sun and rain, sigma harmonics... man there were a lot of them on the ds

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
my brain is telling me i forgot an important part of that list but w/e

• Locked thread