Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Squizzle posted:

Given the choice, what two Infinity Gems would you want to control?

Reality and Power. That's really all you need.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Squizzle posted:

Either Power and Mind or Soul, or Mind and Soul. The ability to control everyone else is the important part but Power's...power would be nice too.

Reality would be cool but I figure if Power lets you have basically any superpower anyway, it's a bit redundant.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
I read some issues of that old Sensational She-Hulk comic. It wasn't very good.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
Time and Mind for me, thanks.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

boom boom boom posted:

Is that John Byrne's run? I've never read it, but I loved what Dan Slott and Charles Soule did with She-Hulk.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

boom boom boom posted:

You mean the one written by John Byrne? Yeahhhh.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Lurdiak posted:

You mean the one written by John Byrne? Yeahhhh.
There might be more issues of that series not written/illustrated by Byrne. I want to say he was only involved in just under half of them?

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
The ones I read were written by a bunch of different people. Richard Starkins, Steve Gerber, Peter David

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
John Byrne is a creepy pedophile who got lucky with a pretty good Superman run and inventing corrupt CEO Lex. He's a pretty good artist but nearly everything written by him is so bad. I actually had high hopes for his Fantastic Four run and was really disappointed.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

WickedHate posted:

John Byrne is a creepy pedophile

Okay.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Erik Larsen must really hate John Byrne. He had a sleazy character in Savage Dragon named Johnny Redbeard, based on Byrne, who exploited a hot, green-skinned woman he called Sensation (who later reinvented herself as She-Dragon).

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

Erik Larsen must really hate John Byrne. He had a sleazy character in Savage Dragon named Johnny Redbeard, based on Byrne, who exploited a hot, green-skinned woman he called Sensation (who later reinvented herself as She-Dragon).

Everyone hates John Byrne.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Are you saying he's not?

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Lurdiak posted:

Are you saying he's not?

it's not mentioned on his Wikipedia page

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Lurdiak posted:

Are you saying he's not?

Creepy, sure.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Squizzle posted:

Time and Reality.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

WickedHate posted:

John Byrne is a creepy pedophile who got lucky with a pretty good Superman run and inventing corrupt CEO Lex.

I've heard that this was actually Marv Wolfman's idea from when he was a kid.

quote:

He's a pretty good artist but nearly everything written by him is so bad. I actually had high hopes for his Fantastic Four run and was really disappointed.

I'm dead keen on his Fantastic Four stuff myself, but I reckon I'm predisposed to like the FF in general. I even enjoy Tom DeFalco's run when Sue was in the swimsuit with the 4-shaped boob window and Reed wore a safari jacket over his costume.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

CEO Lex is just slim Kingpin anyway.

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

I am offended by your ham, sir.

Wheat Loaf posted:

I'm dead keen on his Fantastic Four stuff myself, but I reckon I'm predisposed to like the FF in general. I even enjoy Tom DeFalco's run when Sue was in the swimsuit with the 4-shaped boob window and Reed wore a safari jacket over his costume.

I've read two issues of Byrne's Fantastic Four. Easily in the top 5 worst comics I've ever read. The issues were from the early 80s, but it felt like his writing style was stuck in the 60s. If you want classic Fantastic Four comics that aren't total poo poo, I would direct your attention to Simonson's run. Only read two issues of that one as well (podcast homework in both cases, hence the small sample size,) but it was pretty drat good comics.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I couldn't even make it past issue one of John Byrne's Thing ongoing. It's soooooo bad.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Chaos Hippy posted:

I would direct your attention to Simonson's run. Only read two issues of that one as well (podcast homework in both cases, hence the small sample size,) but it was pretty drat good comics.
It's my favorite run after Hickman's.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I will take whichever gem that gives me the power to cloak my farts after I eat spicy food.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Rhyno posted:

I will take whichever gem that gives me the power to cloak my farts after I eat spicy food.

So the whole Gauntlet then?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

X-O posted:

So the whole Gauntlet then?

Whatever it takes.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
I just want the powers of Purple Man without the weaknesses. Phenomenal cosmic powers, incredibly petty use.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
If I could have any super powers it would be Cat Power.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Wickedhate is Darkseid, pass it on.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
My planet would be nicer than Apokolips. Less fire pits, more fresh air.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

The older I get the better Wolverine's power set looks.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Twilight Zone rules state that if you become immortal you're eventually going to fall down an abandoned mine shaft or be on a boat that sinks to the bottom of the Mariana Trench.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Wolverine's got retarded aging and can barely get hangovers, and most importantly his injuries heal. All of them. Nothing is more horrible than still feeling pain from a 10 year old injury, and Wolverine never has to deal with that. That's the real superpower.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

The Reality gem would be tempting as heck, but if I had Power +Time, I don't think I'd miss it. As much fun as dicking around with laws of physics etc. would be, I think I'd end up getting more absolute enjoyment out of unrestrained time-travel shenanigans.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Lurdiak posted:

Wolverine's got retarded aging and can barely get hangovers, and most importantly his injuries heal. All of them. Nothing is more horrible than still feeling pain from a 10 year old injury, and Wolverine never has to deal with that. That's the real superpower.
I mean, his entire character is a surly dick because he hasn't dealt with any emotional pain in the hundred plus years he's been loving up his own life, but yeah - no bung knee.

e: Time and Mind. Space seems like a complete waste because what's the difference between instant travel and being able to stop time and aging? Other than I can't teleport to space environments that will kill me.

Ghostlight fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Feb 10, 2016

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Ghostlight posted:

I mean, his entire character is a surly dick because he hasn't dealt with any emotional pain in the hundred plus years he's been loving up his own life, but yeah - no bung knee.

Well, being emotionally distant isn't inherent to his powers, that's all on him.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

zoux posted:

The older I get the better Wolverine's power set looks.

Yeah, I'd take them in a heartbeat, even the 80s non-OP version where he'd have to lay prone in agony for a couple of hours after multiple gunshots while everything knits back together.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Ghostlight posted:

You can't blame that on his powers.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

I pretty much imagine everyone who lives centuries rather than decades actually will inevitably build up that much emotional baggage.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I want a story about an immortal guy who is well adjusted.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Pretty sure there's a Sandman one shot that's sorta like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Squizzle posted:

I don't know much about the Infinity gems but like, is there a point to any of them besides Reality? Like, after you can bend reality to your whim, that's the whole ball game there.

If I have to pick two, I guess that and Time. Power seems redundant, Mind seems lackluster, and Soul's a joke.

• Locked thread