Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

buttcoinbrony posted:

this is a 100% accurate depiction of mass transit in america

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Sylink posted:

So I installed 400+ new building assets via the workshop, and the game takes a while to load now.

Is there anything to be done about this besides not installing that many

Pick assets to install with a decent memory footprint.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

The real answer is just don't install that many assets, though. Even if you pick ones with reasonable filesize (I try to stay under 5mb for the most part unless it's a truly killer asset), subscribing to a ton will slow things down.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

Everything I've done to try and make this better has just made it worse! :gonk:

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

CascadeBeta posted:

That's the proper Skylines experience. :)

I recommend a direct route into the industrial area to/from the highway, preferably using a road with a higher speed limit (and no traffic lights).

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

Poil posted:

That's the proper Skylines experience. :)

I recommend a direct route into the industrial area to/from the highway, preferably using a road with a higher speed limit (and no traffic lights).

I was actually just thinking that. I could just make a second highway that cloverleafs with the current one that runs through the industrial sector, and build the rest of it right around it.

Edit:

CascadeBeta fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Feb 8, 2016

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*

buttcoinbrony posted:

this is a 100% accurate depiction of mass transit in america

Any mass transit line that isn't running at or near capacity is one that isn't doing its job

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
If you are on a subway and have enough room for your lungs to expand or contract in order for you to breathe, it could stand to hold a few more people.

Burns
May 10, 2008

Alright, the one ongoing complaint that is really pissing me off is how these types of games have a habit of placing buildings right next to the roadway. It makes it really frustrating to upgrade a 2 lane to a 4+ lane roadway without demolishing existing strictures. I really want to see either a mod or change to the game that makes increases the grid size by a few spaces and makes buildings grow a few spaces from the roadway.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
One way to make sure that you won't "lose" size is to make sure that a 2 lane road 'square' has 2 empty blocks in the middle of it. If it's by a 4 lane/6 lane, use 1 empty space. You will demolish buildings if you upgrade from a 2 lane->4 or 6, but if your demand is high enough it shouldn't be a problem.

On another note,

I have found a good way to get different music in the game! I'm using the CSL Music Mod, and I converted the SimCity 2013, SimCity 4, and SimCity 3000 Unlimited music to .ogg format so it will play in game. Some I have added the lovely tags to so they will only play in certain situations, since it makes no sense for the night mixes of the SimCity 2013 music to play during the daytime. Or that the "disaster" music won't play when everything is fine.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
An option for a 2 lane road with city owned treelawns for instant easement to 4/6 would be neat for flavor, but once you settle on a hierarchy for your city you almost never upgrade 2 lanes.

Now 4 lanes and 6 lanes that need easement for the beautifying upgrades, that is some weird poo poo.

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*

zedprime posted:

An option for a 2 lane road with city owned treelawns for instant easement to 4/6 would be neat for flavor, but once you settle on a hierarchy for your city you almost never upgrade 2 lanes.

Now 4 lanes and 6 lanes that need easement for the beautifying upgrades, that is some weird poo poo.

Until sixty years go by and the landowners think they own those treelawns and the city basically has to put a lockdown on the sale of their house until the tenants die so they can rezone it before further sale because old people aren't willing to part with 3 feet of grass to put in bike lanes for public safety.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I'm really happy with the park I made in my downtown core

(middle of shot on the right)

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

I actually started a new city that I think I will continue to build for once!

I edited some map with a big water fall (Izuna Falls or something?) to have a ton of flat land under the falls and to have a bunch of rivers that run through that area. I'm planning on having my sewage output start directly above the falls, and for the rivers to run purple with poo poo. Then, a cyberpunk dystopia will be built along its banks. I renamed the map "lovely Falls". I also built a huge quarry area that will hold most of my industry, far from everything else.

By starting the map with a long highway extension and building a small town of that I think I've layed the foundation for a city that I'll actually come back to. Usually a begin plopping tons of roads everywhere and a semi complex highway system for my big, major city first. It never looks good and I rarely actually get the city built, and it always lacks personality. I think starting, and expanding from, a small town is a much better choice.

Anyways, are there any good cyberpunkish art assets yet? If not I'll just set the city style under the falls to use all NYC buildings.

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

Wrr posted:

I actually started a new city that I think I will continue to build for once!

I edited some map with a big water fall (Izuna Falls or something?) to have a ton of flat land under the falls and to have a bunch of rivers that run through that area. I'm planning on having my sewage output start directly above the falls, and for the rivers to run purple with poo poo. Then, a cyberpunk dystopia will be built along its banks. I renamed the map "lovely Falls". I also built a huge quarry area that will hold most of my industry, far from everything else.

By starting the map with a long highway extension and building a small town of that I think I've layed the foundation for a city that I'll actually come back to. Usually a begin plopping tons of roads everywhere and a semi complex highway system for my big, major city first. It never looks good and I rarely actually get the city built, and it always lacks personality. I think starting, and expanding from, a small town is a much better choice.

Anyways, are there any good cyberpunkish art assets yet? If not I'll just set the city style under the falls to use all NYC buildings.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=599047299

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

Perfect! Thank you! Time to increase my load times by 1,000%~~

Also, I mistook the user Quad-Rioters as a ploppable building, and now I wish I could plop a park down in the middle of my city that just had a ton of angry protesters flipping the gently caress out forever.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

What is the advantage of the themes mod? I understood it as a proto-Styles option, and so haven't touched it at all since styles have been added to the game proper.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Ofaloaf posted:

What is the advantage of the themes mod? I understood it as a proto-Styles option, and so haven't touched it at all since styles have been added to the game proper.

I'm honestly not sure which is which, but I have the mod and I can change/edit/make themes on the fly in-game quickly with a nice interface for sorting and finding specific types of buildings and custom content.

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

CascadeBeta posted:

Hahah this is great. I love this game. Also nice fix to the problem!

I'm at the point where I'm bored/done with my city. I'm about to hit 200k pop and I'm just creating more and more sprawl, with some 'downtown-lite' cores here and there throughout. I'm considering a complete 'wipe' of my assets, starting fresh with items I haven't used and starting a brand new city. I need to make a photo dump before I do this though obviously.

Tzen fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Feb 9, 2016

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!
I found this awesome guide on how to use all the features of fine road heights and no pillars.
If like me you just use it in the default mode, check all the stuff you can do: http://imgur.com/a/HeQPN

O-Unit
Oct 22, 2005

Is there a goon consensus on current MUST HAVE mods? The list in the OP hasn’t been touched since May last year.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

A little info was released about the free content in the patch accompanying Snowfall:

- Expanded public transportation UI
- Rain and fog weather effects
- A Theme Editor that looks like it lets you change terrain/sky color when creating a map. The example they showed is you can make your map look like Mars.
- New Chirpy content

No real details and we knew most of this already. They're gonna do a gameplay stream on twitch tomorrow that will hopefully show some of this stuff off.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

ollie74656 posted:

Is there a goon consensus on current MUST HAVE mods? The list in the OP hasn’t been touched since May last year.

Not really, but a large part of that is because each person approaches the game differently and has different issues with the base game that need to be solved to match their play style. So what counts as a “must have” will vary wildly depending on what you want from your game.

Common options are (and just picking examples from my collection)
• Some kind of traffic mod (Traffic Manager or Traffic++)
• Public transport mods (Advanced Vehicle Options, Extended Public Transport UI, Improved Public Transport)
• Some kind of advanced road construction mod (Precision Engineering, Fine Road Heights, NoPillars, Sharp Junctions etc)
• Information mods (City Vitals, Extended Building Info, Traffic Report Tool, Persistent Resource View)
• Dynamics-disablers (Demand Master, Infinite Oil / Ore, Control Building Levels)
• Improved map building/modification tools (Extra Landscaping, TreeBrush).
• …and of course roughly a bajillion different maps and special assets.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Baronjutter posted:

I'm honestly not sure which is which, but I have the mod and I can change/edit/make themes on the fly in-game quickly with a nice interface for sorting and finding specific types of buildings and custom content.
Is it better to share a style as a style or as a theme, then? I would kinda like to share the pseudo-Gotham style I've been fiddling with, but if themes are more convenient and popular than the game's own style thing, I'll have a go at that.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED
Is it game breaking adding those mods to a existing city?

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

Alright time to abandon my city and start fresh. Here was New Seattle,
full album:http://imgur.com/a/qH0gn - map I made:http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=535918272

skyline:

overview,

downtown core,

stadium and transit hub,

'coal hills',

suburb sprawl,

was quite happy with this curved transit hub/city centre,

university hub outside the city,

rival downtown core (completely on fire at the time, fyi 'fire spread' mod owns),

small town on an island,

view from the countryside,

fin,

again, full album:http://imgur.com/a/qH0gn - map I made:http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=535918272

In the end, I reached nearly 200k population and I would say overall the city was a success.

Time to delete every asset and start fresh!

Tzen fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Feb 10, 2016

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

That is one sexy city. Congrats on beating the game

MonoAus
Nov 5, 2012

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

The truth is that nobody really knows. Maybe save a copy of your favourite city before installing any major mods.

I haven't managed to break any of my cities with mods yet, but that's not to say there haven't been interesting glitches. I tend to just install whatever's popular at the moment.

I'll have to post some pics of my 113k city some time, it's chock-full of modded goodness.

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

I need to learn how to get away from grids its just. . . .theres so much empty space. . . what if I put some roads down and filled it all in. . just a little?

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

As a general rule, adding a mod will not break your city but removing one might, since it may now have various features from those mods in it that will spaz out if the mod is no longer there.

However, that's still just a general rule. There are plenty of mods that, while they might not outright break the game, they will screw you over completely and require you to rebuild pretty much from scratch. Some mods alter the city behaviour in such a way that, unless you've built it from the ground up with those behaviours in mind, things will fall apart. Traffic AI mods can alter your entire traffic pattern and turn previously sensible solution into complete nightmares that have to be rebuilt (or even rezoned). Stuff like realistic population mods can be wholly incompatible with the regular mix of commercial and industrial buildings, causing utter RCI chaos. It may just be a transition as a new balance is found, but you could also easily just have to abandon large are swaths of city because the population to fill all those buildings isn't there any more.

Tippis fucked around with this message at 09:32 on Feb 10, 2016

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Le0 posted:

I found this awesome guide on how to use all the features of fine road heights and no pillars.
If like me you just use it in the default mode, check all the stuff you can do: http://imgur.com/a/HeQPN

It's my understanding that Precision Engineering does what both these mods do, but I have a question for those who use it: can you use it to build perfectly parallel highways? Or does that need a different mod?

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Precision Engineering is yet a third mod that displays information on the exact length and angle of a road segment and some other stuff.

You will probably want all three.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Tippis posted:

Stuff like realistic population mods can be wholly incompatible with the regular mix of commercial and industrial buildings, causing utter RCI chaos. It may just be a transition as a new balance is found, but you could also easily just have to abandon large are swaths of city because the population to fill all those buildings isn't there any more.

Detroit: Skylines

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

It's my understanding that Precision Engineering does what both these mods do, but I have a question for those who use it: can you use it to build perfectly parallel highways? Or does that need a different mod?

Compared to each other, Precision Engineering indeed lets you build perfectly aligned (parallel, curved, etc.) roads, but Fine Road Heights eliminates the 12 cells/12 meters minimum slopes and lets you choose between normal/ground/elevated/bridge construction mode, and NoPillars does what it says in the title (super useful for more complex layouts) plus the ability to choose whether or not you want zones appear next to your roads. I use all three extensively in my spergin' and they all do very different things.

Next up there's also Sharp Junction Angles, which changes the bending, snapping, and overlapping properties of roads. Pretty advanced, and it can help in having your roads look more realistic, but compared to the other three it can definitely create the biggest mess (roads through buildings) and it's not as immediately useful.

All these let you build pretty neat stuff.

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!
There is a live demo of the new expansion on twitch. http://www.twitch.tv/paradoxinteractive
They are currently showing the theme editor or something? Looks very neat, you can basically change all the textures etc...

EDIT: So map theme editor looks great, let's you change texture and lighting then create maps with your custom themes
Trams look cool, not a lot of road types available but there are quite a few.
Rain looks great
Temperature stuff seem a bit meh honestly, you have a new temperature indicator on your UI and you have to lay heating pipes I think.
And that's basically it, they didn't show any snow related stuff

Here's a few screen grabs I took:
Trams road types

Rain

Tram crossing with road

Le0 fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Feb 10, 2016

Fishbus
Aug 30, 2006

"Stuck in an RPG Pro-Tour"

Dolph Lundgren sand texture. Wow.

Stuff looks neat though. Still don't know if I'll buy it, it's a very scattershot DLC again, but whatevs, they can do what they want.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!

I can ALSO cities.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

I'll probably buy it and then play the game for another 10-20 hours. Honestly trams were the one thing that weren't in the game that really frustrated me. And since you can make independent tracks you can totally make your own combined elevated and subway light rail system from scratch...or at least you will once some modders make elevated and subterranean stations for them.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
Trams was the ONE thing I wanted to be added to this game. Anything beyond that is really just a bonus on the side. Glad to see it coming, finally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fishbus
Aug 30, 2006

"Stuck in an RPG Pro-Tour"

Le0 posted:

And that's basically it, they didn't show any snow related stuff

They did earlier, there's also new road maintenance stuff as well, not just gritters.

Afaik road maintenance increases speed of the current speed limits, rather than degrade if not up-kept. I wasn't too sure if it's both since I wasn't listening in closely as it was in the background.