Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
man the ds was a good system for mysteries though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

alcharagia posted:

they're not actually that common but at the same time they're not uncommon, you've got when they cry, zero escape, the infinity games, ghost trick, time hollow, shadow of destiny, flower sun and rain, sigma harmonics... man there were a lot of them on the ds

zero escape, the infinity games and ghost trick aren't mysteries though

and i didn't even play half the others to comment on

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
zero escape is totally a mystery

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

It's a mystery that people wouldn't consider Zero Escape or Ghost Trick to he mysteries.

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

Cake Attack posted:

zero escape, the infinity games and ghost trick aren't mysteries though

and i didn't even play half the others to comment on

Ghost Trick is totally a mystery. It's a whodunnit and a whoareya surrounding your own murder!

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Suspicious Cook posted:

Ghost Trick is totally a mystery. It's a whodunnit and a whoareya surrounding your own murder!

oh yeah ghost trick counts.

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

Ometeotl posted:

It's a mystery that people wouldn't consider Zero Escape or Ghost Trick to he mysteries.

I dunno about Zero Escape. The games have a lot of mysteries in them, sure, but if I had to literally classify them I don't think it would be in the "mystery" genre. They're sci-fi thrillers.

Ghost Trick is totally a mystery, though.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

And even then, they're still similar types of adventure games.

DS was a really good system for people like us, yo.

Fake edit: Trace Memory and the Kyle Hyde games were also mysteries, but they did not have timelines. Trace Memories had false memories involved, though. Still good games.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

orenronen posted:

I dunno about Zero Escape. The games have a lot of mysteries in them, sure, but if I had to literally classify them I don't think it would be in the "mystery" genre. They're sci-fi thrillers.

Ghost Trick is totally a mystery, though.

yeah this is what I was getting at, including Ghost Trick was me being dumb since I forgot part of the premise

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
note: i'll take any mystery games because i love the genre. my actual problem right now is that it feels like my current mystery game options are dangan ronpa or hunt through the bowels of japanese rpg maker indie games, which is a massive shift after-

Waffleman_ posted:

DS was a really good system for people like us, yo.

yeah that

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

Waffleman_ posted:

Fake edit: Trace Memory and the Kyle Hyde games were also mysteries, but they did not have timelines. Trace Memories had false memories involved, though. Still good games.

I've played a lot of Japanese mystery games, and the vast majority of them don't have timelines. But they also haven't been translated, so.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Dangan ronpa is the Michael Bay reboot of vn mystery games.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Waffleman_ posted:

Trace Memory was decent. Hotel Dusk and Last Window were both so good, though. Shame that company went under.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Well I will give Apollo Justice one thing it has much funnier dialogue then I remember it having

Like how Wright tells Apollo to find the white powder hidden in his office, and Apollo is concerned

Note to Self
Mar 21, 2012
Oh, I just realized who the new prosecutor reminds me of: the main character from Turn-A Gundam. You know, the one who's always getting force femmed? Mm.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

Nick is hilariously intense.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Haifisch posted:

More scans are out. The mood matrix is back, to nobody's surprise.

Nick and Apollo are double protagonists, eh?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Phoenix Wright & Apollo Justice: Ace Attorneys

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
Eventually they'll go head to head in the Ace Attourney.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Strange Quark posted:

Nick and Apollo are double protagonists, eh?

It's looking more and more likely that Athena won't be playable at all.

Capcom please. Give me the athena

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Raxivace posted:

Even with that, I liked how AA4 handled the adopted daughter thing though, by having Phoenix be the one to take Trucy in at what was arguably his absolute lowest point in the entire franchise.

I meant more Dalia Hawthorne and her whole deal, it's very reminiscent of a common plot point in Japanese mystery stories.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Amppelix posted:

When she becomes the number one most popular character in the series she too can get equal billing

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Amppelix posted:

She'll probably get one case as the playable character again.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 37 hours!
I really hope they roll out more DLC cases with 6, just some really out there stuff so that ultimately all lawyers get their time to shine and then some.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

I'm really excited to hear Objection 2016 and Apollo's third theme

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

She'll probably get one case as the playable character again.

I kinda don't think so because they're pushing the whole two protagonists thing hard, and it'd undermine that if Athena also got a case. Maybe DLC.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Athena will need to be playable when Apollo gets convicted for murder while Phoenix is overseas. :colbert:

IceBorg
Oct 23, 2012

I KINDA DOUBT THAT!
Yeah I think Athena won't get to be playable.

But I also think this will be Phoenix last game as a playable character, I think they will try to do what they started with AA:Apollo Justice but gave up because it didn't really work out that well and make Phoenix, in the last case, make Apollo the true attorney who beats the big bad.
Since Apollo is now really popular people won't complain so I think that can happen and then the next game can star Apollo and Athena with Pheonix just as a mentor character.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I'll be really happy if this game is Phoenix's last hurrah as a playable character, but I feel like if they were ever really going to consider moving him out of the spotlight they'd have done it this game after DD's good reception. So I honestly don't see it happen, though it is good at least that they're keeping with the multiple playable characters thing, because I think that worked really well for DD.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I think people would have reacted less poorly to Phoenix not being playable in AJ if he hadn't been disbarred 10 minutes after the end of AA3 over some bullshit. If he was just the (preferably living) Mia of the game, it would've been fine.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Actually I looked it up since I was curious, there was a whole two months between the end of AA3 and Phoenix's disbarment!

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I was using hyper brolli.

Wyvernil
Mar 10, 2007

Meddle not in the affairs of dragons... for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

IceBorg posted:

But I also think this will be Phoenix last game as a playable character, I think they will try to do what they started with AA:Apollo Justice but gave up because it didn't really work out that well and make Phoenix, in the last case, make Apollo the true attorney who beats the big bad.
Since Apollo is now really popular people won't complain so I think that can happen and then the next game can star Apollo and Athena with Pheonix just as a mentor character.

If this is to be Phoenix's last game, I'm wondering if they'll pull a shocking twist and make him the victim of the final case. Then Apollo needs to take up the torch and defend his client without his mentor's help.

Of course, since I don't think Capcom would have the cajones to kill off Phoenix Wright, I'm guessing he'll only appear to be the victim, but in the end he'll turn out to be very much alive and swoop in to deliver the final piece of evidence you need to prove the bad guy guilty.

The guy does have a habit of getting out of fatal-looking scrapes with only minor injuries. Like that time in the third game he fell off a burning bridge into a gorge, and came out of it with only a cold and no other injuries.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Hey speaking of old Ace Attorney games, do they ever explain what happened to the diamond in 3? Am I to just assume it got washed away forever in the eagle river?

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

voltcatfish posted:

Actually I looked it up since I was curious, there was a whole two months between the end of AA3 and Phoenix's disbarment!

Edgeworth took down a smuggling ring and solved a presidential assassination and the conspiracy behind it in the span of two months. :allears:

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Edgeworth took down a smuggling ring and solved a presidential assassination and the conspiracy behind it in the span of two months. :allears:

I thought AAI1 was basically stated to have all occurred in like a week.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

AAI takes place over literally five days, not counting the flashback. Like three weeks later AAI2 happens, this time over a slightly more reasonable span of time, probably approximately two weeks.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Amppelix posted:

AAI takes place over literally five days, not counting the flashback. Like three weeks later AAI2 happens, this time over a slightly more reasonable span of time, probably approximately two weeks.

It technically takes place over a couple of decades :v:.

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009

Amppelix posted:

Don't the first three cases all take place on more or less the same day? He gets off the plane, gets dragged into the amusement park bullshit, and then the prologue in his office at night or something. What a day

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

It is a game... where you will put your life on the line.
Lipstick Apathy
Needs to be a case where you play as one of the Paynes. Those guys need a break once in awhile.

• Locked thread