Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Prorat
Aug 3, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Gyges posted:

They've never been counted in the unemployment number people pay attention to. Nobody cared until the normal metric of unemployment started to look good under the black guy. Now, suddenly, we care about all the other unemployment statistics.

We definitely need to work on it, but the sudden interest in it is staggeringly disingenuous.

If we are all about unemployment stats it's bedside the Obama administration literally sends out a press release every few months celebrating their 5% and dropping numbers.

It's bullshit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BUG JUG
Feb 17, 2005

Brannock posted:

"leftists" arguing that unemployment is Actually only 5% simply because it came from BadMan :smh:

you got me. mama take these guns from me.

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004

Youth Decay posted:

Bruce Wayne?

wait...

Power bottom

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Joementum posted:

Rubio is also speaking right now, by the way.

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

51.3% of precincts reporting, 60.8% Sanders, 38% Clinton.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Brannock posted:

"leftists" arguing that unemployment is Actually only 5% simply because it came from BadMan :smh:

U6 unemployment is much higher.

Also thanks to the 2008 recession new grads can't find jobs in their field and many older workers are also underemployed.

Oiled and Ready
Oct 11, 2004

He wished it could be as respectable and orthodox as spying. But somehow in his hands the traditional tools and attitudes were always employed toward mean ends: cloak for a laundry sack, dagger to peel potatoes, dossiers to fill up dead Sunday afternoons ...
As governor, Kasich cut funding for education by $700 million and funding for nursing homes by $340 million.

gently caress you Kasich.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

Let's dispel this notion once and for all that Rubio will make this mistake again.

SNAKES N CAKES
Sep 6, 2005

DAVID GAIDER
Lead Writer
Kasich is much better at speeches than he is at debates. I see a national bump coming.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

I hope a strong statement against CAR TAX was made tonight

GrimGypsy
Mar 27, 2007

Kasich is giving a really good loving speech, right? It's not just me?

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug
Lmao what is this Lake Woebegone poo poo

BUG JUG
Feb 17, 2005

god i hate ohio.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
Look at your crying dad mailman in the eye and hug him

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
I hope John Kasich continues to campaign on this message to "slow down" and means it. A candidate for lower productivity would be an interesting, and essential, turn in American politics.

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx
All our problems can be solved with hugs. We don't need government or higher taxes. If you see someone who is unhappy, hug them. (then go home to your nice house and take a shower to get that poor stink off)

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Chris Christie is being garroted in his car as we speak

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

GrimGypsy posted:

hes giving a great speech yeah. this win and speech could make him the establishment candidate

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Prorat posted:

If we are all about unemployment stats it's bedside the Obama administration literally sends out a press release every few months celebrating their 5% and dropping numbers.

It's bullshit.

i'm sorry the current administration uses the same number for headline unemployment that gw bush, clinton, ghw bush, reagan, etc have all used? :confused:

Prorat
Aug 3, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

axeil posted:

that's not an unemployment rate, that's a labor participation rate. old people dying in hospitals and toddlers shouldn't count as part of the unemployed (which is what you're implying with that metric).

Toddlers are 16 and older?

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

axeil posted:

I'm fine if people wanna use U6, but it's disingenuous because we've never used U6 before.

A graph of real income growth tells the story better and gives you better historical comparison. Hooray economic statistics slap fight!

To whom is the real income growth going, is the real question

Oiled and Ready
Oct 11, 2004

He wished it could be as respectable and orthodox as spying. But somehow in his hands the traditional tools and attitudes were always employed toward mean ends: cloak for a laundry sack, dagger to peel potatoes, dossiers to fill up dead Sunday afternoons ...

BUG JUG posted:

you got me. mama take these guns from me.

U6 IMO is real unemployment and it's 10%, but that's not bad.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

GrimGypsy posted:

He is, and I really hope he becomes just enough of a presence to continue making GBS threads in the boots of Rubio and Bush in the northern states while Don and Ted's Excellent Racist Adventure rules the south.

edit: Kasich sounds genuinely surprised and humbled, which is why this is a good speech. He was not expecting to give this speech.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Bip Roberts posted:

Keep in mind before you praise the people of New Hampshire for voting for Bernie they also voted for Trump because New Hampshire is a poo poo state with a total dearth of "living free".

More importantly, many of them had trouble deciding which of the two they would vote for.

Brannock posted:

I'm just arguing that while underemployment and labor participation are important, no one gave a poo poo until the normally reported unemployment number got "good" under Obama.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

BUG JUG posted:

god i hate ohio.

On the flip side

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iy3POGnetfE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xNJjv2AEAS8

OrangeKing
Dec 5, 2002

They do play in October!
Nice Sideshow Bob laugh from Kasich

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jgflCE7zRpc

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
Pretty folksy ramblings from a union busting shitlord

mannerup
Jan 11, 2004

♬ I Know You're Dying Trying To Figure Me Out♬

♬My Name's On The Tip Of Your Tongue Keep Running Your Mouth♬

♬You Want The Recipe But Can't Handle My Sound My Sound My Sound♬

♬No Matter What You Do Im Gonna Get It Without Ya♬

♬ I Know You Ain't Used To A Female Alpha♬
want kasichlaugh.gif

BUG JUG
Feb 17, 2005

Oiled and Ready posted:

U6 IMO is real unemployment and it's 10%, but that's not bad.

no i know i am totally ok with u6. it's clear that real unemployment is not 5%, but neither is it a quarter of the workforce.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Prorat posted:

Toddlers are 16 and older?

just because they can drive doesn't mean they're the same as a 34 year-old who got fired

Rynn
Jul 23, 2003

Northjayhawk posted:

All our problems can be solved with hugs. We don't need government or higher taxes. If you see someone who is unhappy, hug them. (then go home to your nice house and take a shower to get that poor stink off)

Last time I did that, I tasted the spicy flavor of Mace.

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug
Kasich is Mr Rogers to Trumps Teletubbies

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Kasich again implores New Hampshire to buy a seatbelt. How the gently caress did he do so well?

mannerup
Jan 11, 2004

♬ I Know You're Dying Trying To Figure Me Out♬

♬My Name's On The Tip Of Your Tongue Keep Running Your Mouth♬

♬You Want The Recipe But Can't Handle My Sound My Sound My Sound♬

♬No Matter What You Do Im Gonna Get It Without Ya♬

♬ I Know You Ain't Used To A Female Alpha♬
GO GET A SEATBELT

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

I want to know where you go to get just a seat belt

BUG JUG
Feb 17, 2005

we will move through South Carolina like god drat sherman though those fire eating sons of bitches. is what he should have said.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Brannock posted:

To whom is the real income growth going, is the real question

...it's not growing though, that's the point i'm trying to make.

but ya know, i'm an ~*evil banker*~ so don't let me try and help you support your argument.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

BUG JUG posted:

no i know i am totally ok with u6. it's clear that real unemployment is not 5%, but neither is it a quarter of the workforce.

The important thing is we need a stat to tell stay-at-home-moms that they are 100% certainly not working.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Brannock posted:

It's the same measurement the bureau of labor statistics has used for years. Of course there are caveats but "BadMan" is insinuating that Obama has altered how the number is calculated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug
Woah baaaaard lighting for Marco

• Locked thread