Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SNAKES N CAKES
Sep 6, 2005

DAVID GAIDER
Lead Writer

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

hes giving a great speech yeah. this win and speech could make him the establishment candidate

He sounded exactly like the AntiTrump here. He'll most certainly be the next big thing for a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

axeil posted:

...it's not growing though, that's the point i'm trying to make.

but ya know, i'm an ~*evil banker*~ so don't let me try and help you support your argument.

I'm sorry I didn't mean to come off as I was disagreeing with you :shobon:

BUG JUG
Feb 17, 2005

But Rocks Hurt Head posted:

Woah baaaaard lighting for Marco

greenman for president

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

blue squares posted:

all those drat students and retirees sucking up our resources

Brannock posted:

I dunno, guys, between the "economic recovery" going mostly to the hedge funders and bankers instead of the common man, and Trump talking about how he'll return jobs to America, I think you're a fool if you deny the appeal of that message

The 99% know they're being hosed, even if they can't precisely articulate it. That's why there's this explosive support for Trump and Sanders

It would be nice if it were just students, but it isn't. We have about 20.2 million students with about 322 million citizens. Or roughly 6.27%. Force participation numbers have been higher before in the 90s and way lower in the 50s. The big thing is the home with a single worker is normally gone which means a lot of homes require two workers. You would see this number go way up because of this.

But then add in the people who can't find a job and this gets fucky. You can see this in the different U unemployment numbers.

U-3 Total unemployed, as a percent of the civilian labor force (official unemployment rate)
U-4 Total unemployed plus discouraged workers, as a percent of the civilian labor force plus discouraged workers
U-5 Total unemployed, plus discouraged workers, plus all other persons marginally attached to the labor force, as a percent of the civilian labor force plus all persons marginally attached to the labor force
U-6 Total unemployed, plus all persons marginally attached to the labor force, plus total employed part time for economic reasons, as a percent of the civilian labor force plus all persons marginally attached to the labor force

U-4 tends to be pretty good here but even then we are talking about 4.9 (U-3) and 5.3 (U-4)

So trump is just taking the force participation rate and applying it incorrectly.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Who chose the lighting at Rubio's event? Next time maybe choose something that doesn't make your guy look literally green..

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
Sorry Obama isn't taking one for the team buy shifting one arbitrary indicator for a much worse looking one.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Goetta posted:

Pretty folksy ramblings from a union busting shitlord

Yeah I'm bored as hell. But he'll get the usual Random Spotlight for a while.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

I want to know where you go to get just a seat belt

car store

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
Hello I'm an economist irl and no one really knows what the actual rate of unemployment hope this helps

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Goetta posted:

Hello I'm an economist irl and no one really knows what the actual rate of unemployment hope this helps

Wait... measurements have uncertainties?

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

I repeat I will not make the same mistake

I repeat I will not make the same mistake

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
There's some truth to Rubio's insistence that his bad debate moment won't happen again: even if he stays in the race, Christie won't qualify for the next debate.

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

axeil posted:

i'm sorry the current administration uses the same number for headline unemployment that gw bush, clinton, ghw bush, reagan, etc have all used? :confused:

U3 is a decent number when there hasnt been a massive downturn that has lead to significant numbers leaving the labor force or becoming underemployed. In the wake of a major recession its more an indicator of who has given up on the economy. Using full U6 overstates unemployment sure, but come on, using U3 after the Great Recession is just a *little* disingenuous. At 5% we'd be close to full employment and should begin to see wages creep up as labor markets tighten. Does this country look like its close to full employment to you?

It does make for great headlines though.

Prorat
Aug 3, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
Ted Cruz holds the mic like a TV preacher that sends people flying with the Holy Spirit.

He is a creepy.

Go Trump!

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

can we find some financier to keep Christie's campaign afloat just so he can keep going to debates and making GBS threads in Rubio's mouth?

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Brannock posted:

I'm sorry I didn't mean to come off as I was disagreeing with you :shobon:

it's cool, been pretty sick this week so i'm a little cranky :cheers:

defectivemonkey
Jun 5, 2012
The combination of that overwhelming humbleness, maniac laugh, and sharp weird turn to attack Bernie's age and Hillary's showing make me not trust Kasich at all.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Third World Reggin posted:

The big thing is the home with a single worker is normally gone which means a lot of homes require two workers. You would see this number go way up because of this.

That's true, but incomes haven't risen to match (in fact they've gone down slightly, if you extrapolate across inflation and purchasing power), and productivity per-worker has shot up EXTREMELY, which makes the lack of income gain even worse

We've gone from an economy where a single person could support a household, to one where two people have to work to be able to support a household, and the latter is actually working harder yet worse off than the former

This is why there's huge appeal for Bernie from the left and for Trump on the right

BUG JUG
Feb 17, 2005

Goetta posted:

uh clearly you do not adhere to chicago school or austrian economics and therefore :dogout:

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

can we find some financier to keep Christie's campaign afloat just so he can keep going to debates and making GBS threads in Rubio's mouth?

Bad news

http://money.cnn.com/2016/02/09/media/cbs-democratic-debate-criteria/index.html

Christy might not make next debate

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."
Cruz is delivering the speech Rubio gave last week.

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I get this funky high on the yellow sun.

I want new South Carolina polls so badly.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

detectivemonkey posted:

The combination of that overwhelming humbleness, maniac laugh, and sharp weird turn to attack Bernie's age and Hillary's showing make me not trust Kasich at all.

He's a total shithead and dems should probably attack him hard because he's the least transparent shithead on the republican side.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
Christie sounds like he's going to drop out if he doesn't end up in the top five.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Jeb! could easily come in third.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

:negative:

Xenophon
Jun 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer

Bip Roberts posted:

Sorry Obama isn't taking one for the team buy shifting one arbitrary indicator for a much worse looking one.

a thousand times this, you guys, jesus christ

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe

Bip Roberts posted:

Wait... measurements have uncertainties?

This fancy degree has taught me that no one is safe from the spectre of our eventual death and nonexistence.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
178/300

Trump, Donald GOP 52,546 34%
Kasich, John GOP 24,743 16%
Cruz, Ted GOP 17,760 12%
Bush, Jeb GOP 17,184 11%
Rubio, Marco GOP 16,064 10%
Christie, Chris GOP 11,762 8%
Fiorina, Carly GOP 6,600 4%
Carson, Ben GOP 3,454 2%

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Not a Step posted:

U5 is a decent number when there hasnt been a massive downturn that has lead to significant numbers leaving the labor force or becoming underemployed. In the wake of a major recession its more an indicator of who has given up on the economy. Using full U6 overstates unemployment sure, but come on, using U5 after the Great Recession is just a *little* disingenuous. At 5% we'd be close to full employment and should begin to see wages creep up as labor markets tighten. Does this country look like its close to full employment to you?

well, there's also the issue of retiring boomers. we knew labor force participation was gonna tick down as those folks retired, and the most compelling theory i've seen is that folks who got laid off that were in their 50s or 60s in 08 just never re-entered the labor pool.

the recovery was/is pretty anemic, but i think we're just not going to see massive growth levels again as that was fueled by fairly irresponsible lending practices. you can either get good growth rates or a well-regulated financial system. ya gotta pick one.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

But Rocks Hurt Head posted:

Woah baaaaard lighting for Marco

Thin men are real. Call xcom.

mr whistler
Jun 28, 2005

Not a Step posted:

U3 is a decent number when there hasnt been a massive downturn that has lead to significant numbers leaving the labor force or becoming underemployed. In the wake of a major recession its more an indicator of who has given up on the economy. Using full U6 overstates unemployment sure, but come on, using U3 after the Great Recession is just a *little* disingenuous. At 5% we'd be close to full employment and should begin to see wages creep up as labor markets tighten. Does this country look like its close to full employment to you?

Wages are starting to creep up though??

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

SNAKES N CAKES posted:

He sounded exactly like the AntiTrump here. He'll most certainly be the next big thing for a while.
Fire up the carousel.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Bip Roberts posted:

I don't care about Obama man. He was a colossal loving disappointment and, speaking of reasons that voters are coming out in droves to support outsider candidates, there's one. We were promised hope and change and we got a gentle, caressing blowjob to the insurance industry instead. People are only barely better off today than they were before 2008. Obama's been trying to spin it as a supreme success but the only success has been for the bankers who've benefited hugely from the economic crash that they caused

Almost the entire 'economic recovery' have gone to the bankers and other financiers

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Goetta posted:

It doesn't count if you work out of a basement FYI

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

Bip Roberts posted:

He's a total shithead and dems should probably attack him hard because he's the least transparent shithead on the republican side.

So Huckabee in 2008?

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Deki posted:

Thin men are real. Call xcom.

Thin men are now snake women with tits and would like you to respect their gender choices.

mr whistler posted:

Wages are starting to creep up though??

Really? Where? Im keen to move.

Prorat
Aug 3, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
Bush/Kaisch will be the ticket.

I still don't know how to spell or say his name and I live in Ohio.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Brannock posted:

I don't care about Obama man. He was a colossal loving disappointment and, speaking of reasons that voters are coming out in droves to support outsider candidates, there's one. We were promised hope and change and we got a gentle, caressing blowjob to the insurance industry instead. People are only barely better off today than they were before 2008. Obama's been trying to spin it as a supreme success but the only success has been for the bankers who've benefited hugely from the economic crash that they caused

Almost the entire 'economic recovery' have gone to the bankers and other financiers

keeping everything from becoming a burning crater ala the 1930s is a big accomplishment. it's not what we were promised, but he's had a hostile congress for 3/4ths of his term and i think deserves lots of credit for keeping things from completely imploding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Not a Step posted:

Really? Where? Im keen to move.

They're going up in places that are facing a bubble collapse so don't get too excited

• Locked thread