Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
Or dope pottery chopping skills

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Bad Moon posted:

Or dope pottery chopping skills

Gotta get in on that Psylocke action :eyepop:

bring back old gbs fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Feb 8, 2016

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

Rhyno posted:

There was some rumoring that it was killed because the Cyborg film is going to be retooled into a Titans film.

WB is horrible at planning.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

sbaldrick posted:

WB is horrible at planning.

It's flailing as Disney/Marvel gets those sweet superhero bucks

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Xelkelvos posted:

It's flailing as Disney/Marvel gets those sweet superhero bucks

This is a very strange meme since Man of Steel did about as well as any of the non-Avengers Marvel films and none of their other movies are out yet.

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Bender: "I was God once." God: "Yes, I saw. You were doing well until everyone died."

computer parts posted:

This is a very strange meme since Man of Steel did about as well as any of the non-Avengers Marvel films and none of their other movies are out yet.

But Man of Steel was horrible while Marvel's stuff has been pretty consistently good. Plus there's like 12 Marvel Movies and 1 DC.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

B.B. Rodriguez posted:

But Man of Steel was horrible while Marvel's stuff has been pretty consistently good.

The context of the sentence implies financial success.

quote:

Plus there's like 12 Marvel Movies and 1 DC.

That's my point, it's like saying Disney is flailing with Star Wars while Paramount rakes in the Sci-Fi bucks with Star Trek.

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Bender: "I was God once." God: "Yes, I saw. You were doing well until everyone died."

But WB is flailing. Suicide Squad is going to suck. Bats vs Supes is going to suck. All of their shows are heading downhill and they have no idea what works. Marvel's got the next 5 years locked down.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Doesn't matter, only money matters.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Man of Steel did fine at the box office. I mean it definitely under performed expectations, but it still was a financial success. The problem is that they expected Superman to out gross movies that had more momentum. Some people think that it barely beating a poorly received Thor 2 and getting completely spanked by a mixed bag like Iron Man 3 in the same year is a failure since Superman is the most recognizable hero on the planet. But Superman was coming off a middling movie that was indeed a failure in most people's eyes and just didn't have the momentum that those other Marvel properties had. But saying a $670 million dollar movie is somehow a miss is just flat out wrong. Now Batman v Superman should reverse that and be the biggest grossing comic movie of the year.

Also Suicide Squad looks rad as hell.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
You're just coming off as a marvel fanboy who's arbitrarily decided movies you haven't seen suck.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

greatn posted:

You're just coming off as a marvel fanboy who's arbitrarily decided movies you haven't seen suck.

It's not arbitrary, Suicide Squad and Man of Steel 2 both look like poo poo.

punchymcpunch
Oct 14, 2012

Expectations matter far more than the actual bottom line result, that's why successes like Man of Steel and Batman Begins were seen as worrying semi failures in their time. What matters is whether or not the studio is satisfied with the result, and they weren't.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Whizbang posted:

It's not arbitrary, Suicide Squad and Man of Steel 2 both look like poo poo.

I think we've well established by now that your opinions are bad.

Suicide Squad had a good trailer everyone liked.

Aphrodite fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Feb 9, 2016

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

punchymcpunch posted:

Expectations matter far more than the actual bottom line result, that's why successes like Man of Steel and Batman Begins were seen as worrying semi failures in their time. What matters is whether or not the studio is satisfied with the result, and they weren't.

It was such a disappointment that they greenlit like 6 other films in the same shared universe.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Suicide Squad definitely looks like it doesn't know what to do with itself based on the trailers. On the one hand, there's Harley being a nutjob murderhobo blowing all the things up with giddy glee and on the other, there's Deadshot who looks to be dark and brooding and and sad and serious. It's like they belong in two different types of movies yet they're smushed together for whatever bizarre reason.

punchymcpunch
Oct 14, 2012

computer parts posted:

It was such a disappointment that they greenlit like 6 other films in the same shared universe.

It had a lower domestic box office gross, domestic profit, and worldwide gross than Guardians of the Galaxy, a movie about a bunch of characters no normal person had ever heard of. And it starred Superman, a character literally everyone has heard of.

punchymcpunch fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Feb 9, 2016

punchymcpunch
Oct 14, 2012

Didn't totally flop like GL or Superman Returns though so I'm sure they were very relieved.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

punchymcpunch posted:

It had a lower domestic box office gross, domestic profit, and worldwide gross than Guardians of the Galaxy, a movie about a bunch of characters no normal person had ever heard of. And it starred Superman, a character literally everyone has heard of.

"Oh gee, this movie that heavily apes Star Wars is successful, who could guess".

punchymcpunch
Oct 14, 2012

computer parts posted:

"Oh gee, this movie that heavily apes Star Wars is successful, who could guess".

Interestingly, Man of Steel had a lower domestic profit than Rise of the Planet of the Apes (and a lower worldwide gross than Dawn of the Planet of the Apes), which I didn't see but I understand is about nameless gorillas smashing cars on a bridge.

punchymcpunch fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Feb 9, 2016

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

punchymcpunch posted:

Interestingly, Man of Steel had a lower domestic profit than Rise of the Planet of the Apes (and a lower worldwide gross than Dawn of the Planet of the Apes), which I didn't see but I understand is about nameless gorillas smashing cars on a bridge.

Yeah, no one has ever heard of "Planet of the Apes" before.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

computer parts posted:

Yeah, no one has ever heard of "Planet of the Apes" before.

I don't think anyone cared about it all that much until Rise got rave reviews

Norwegian Rudo
May 9, 2013

X-O posted:

Man of Steel did fine at the box office. I mean it definitely under performed expectations, but it still was a financial success. The problem is that they expected Superman to out gross movies that had more momentum. Some people think that it barely beating a poorly received Thor 2 and getting completely spanked by a mixed bag like Iron Man 3 in the same year is a failure since Superman is the most recognizable hero on the planet. But Superman was coming off a middling movie that was indeed a failure in most people's eyes and just didn't have the momentum that those other Marvel properties had. But saying a $670 million dollar movie is somehow a miss is just flat out wrong. Now Batman v Superman should reverse that and be the biggest grossing comic movie of the year.

Also Suicide Squad looks rad as hell.

I wouldn't say it was a financial success at all.

If we go by IMDB figures they took in $668 million on a $225 million budget.

The take can basically be split in half (half to the cinemas, half to the studio). Obviously that's not 100% accurate, but near enough for arguments sake. That leaves us $109 million in the black. Now add in the advertising spend. That's not public knowledge, but I've seen articles where they talk about big blockbuster movies with a spend well north of $200 million.

All in all I'd say it's highly unlikely they broke even.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Xelkelvos posted:

Suicide Squad definitely looks like it doesn't know what to do with itself based on the trailers. On the one hand, there's Harley being a nutjob murderhobo blowing all the things up with giddy glee and on the other, there's Deadshot who looks to be dark and brooding and and sad and serious. It's like they belong in two different types of movies yet they're smushed together for whatever bizarre reason.

Different people have different personalities, it's a thing.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Norwegian Rudo posted:

The take can basically be split in half (half to the cinemas, half to the studio). Obviously that's not 100% accurate, but near enough for arguments sake. That leaves us $109 million in the black. Now add in the advertising spend. That's not public knowledge, but I've seen articles where they talk about big blockbuster movies with a spend well north of $200 million.

Cinemas don't get anywhere close to half. They're lucky if they get 20% of the prices during the movie's hot period of the first two weeks. That percentage rises the longer the film is in the theater but during the first two weeks, where most of the money is made, it's much much less. By your metric then most big budget films would be financial failures. The movie was in no way a financial failure or close to it. It just wasn't the financial megahit they were hoping it to be. Thinking they didn't break even? Are you serious? That's just ridiculous.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Norwegian Rudo posted:

Yeah I mean I guess if you just make some numbers up it didn't do well.

PS you conveniently ignored things like the movie making $150m+ from promotional tie-ins as well as international partners paying for chunks of development/marketing/distribution.

Norwegian Rudo
May 9, 2013

X-O posted:

Cinemas don't get anywhere close to half. They're lucky if they get 20% of the prices during the movie's hot period of the first two weeks. That percentage rises the longer the film is in the theater but during the first two weeks, where most of the money is made, it's much much less. By your metric then most big budget films would be financial failures. The movie was in no way a financial failure or close to it. It just wasn't the financial megahit they were hoping it to be. Thinking they didn't break even? Are you serious? That's just ridiculous.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/for-hollywood-not-all-box-office-dollars-are-equal-1409241925

This says 50% in the US and as little as 25% in China goes to the studio.

https://www.quora.com/What-percentage-of-box-office-revenues-goes-to-the-makers-of-the-movie

This says 50% US and around 33% foreign gross, so it appears my split was if anything overly generous.

And yes, secondary sales, (DVDs and toys etc) come in addition. Making money here is great, doesn't stop the film from losing money.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Norwegian Rudo posted:

The rule is a movie generally needs to make twice its budget to account for advertising and theater cut.

This adjusts down when it features such extensive product placement as Man of Steel does.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Aphrodite posted:

The rule is a movie generally needs to make twice its budget to account for advertising and theater cut.

This adjusts down when it features such extensive product placement as Man of Steel does.

This is completely anecdotal and hearsay and I don't have a source, but I could have sworn I read at some point that Man of Steel basically broke even just with product placement alone.

fake edit: This article pegs the number at $160 million, which isn't $225 million, but is pretty drat close.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Klungar posted:

This is completely anecdotal and hearsay and I don't have a source, but I could have sworn I read at some point that Man of Steel basically broke even just with product placement alone.

fake edit: This article pegs the number at $160 million, which isn't $225 million, but is pretty drat close.

Don't forget also that a lot of that marketing tie-in stuff (like Happy Meals and the like) are paid to WB and not the other way around.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate
The WB's biggest problem is they didn't adapt to the huge shift in how people saw comic book movies in 2008. The same year the Dark Knight came up with it's grim vision of superhero's, so did Iron Man with it's rather fun loving version.

WB on tv adapted but it's film division didn't which is why Man of Steel and the Dark Knight Rises are looked on the way they are.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

sbaldrick posted:

The WB's biggest problem is they didn't adapt to the huge shift in how people saw comic book movies in 2008. The same year the Dark Knight came up with it's grim vision of superhero's, so did Iron Man with it's rather fun loving version.

WB on tv adapted but it's film division didn't which is why Man of Steel and the Dark Knight Rises are looked on the way they are.

You mean mostly liked outside of insular comic nerd circles?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

sbaldrick posted:

DKR made more money than all but like Avengers 2.

e: It made comparable amounts to Iron Man 3 (i.e., over $1 billion), which strangely enough is another movie that "is looked on the way it is" by fans.

computer parts fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Feb 9, 2016

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

We already have Marvel making the same type of movie 3 times a year, a different style is okay.

It's not like Green Lantern being in that joke, joke, joke, this is my serious face mold made it any better.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Aphrodite posted:

We already have Marvel making the same type of movie 3 times a year, a different style is okay.

It's not like Green Lantern being in that joke, joke, joke, this is my serious face mold made it any better.

Green Lantern was bizarre in that it was a flop, but made almost all the production costs back. A few less missteps and it could've turned an actual profit. Berlanti was also co-producer of that film iirc.

Alexander Hamilton
Dec 29, 2008

Xelkelvos posted:

Every ensemble movie ever is like this. The point is seeing how these disparate personalities interact with one another.

Norwegian Rudo
May 9, 2013

Xelkelvos posted:

Green Lantern was bizarre in that it was a flop, but made almost all the production costs back. A few less missteps and it could've turned an actual profit. Berlanti was also co-producer of that film iirc.

Berlanti wrote an early draft that was heavily changed. He had nothing to do with the film after that.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Oh my god this is the worst derail.

Back to Arrow speculation: I want to know what the person in the grave's death will make Ollie do to take on Dhark. I'd be up for a half season of supernaturally powered Arrow.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Thwomp posted:

Oh my god this is the worst derail.

Back to Arrow speculation: I want to know what the person in the grave's death will make Ollie do to take on Dhark. I'd be up for a half season of supernaturally powered Arrow.

I hope he gets it with an 80s montage to an 80s power ballad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Xelkelvos posted:

Next you'll tell me some crazy movie studio will put a wisecracking talking raccoon in the same movie as a grimdark berserker with a tragic past

• Locked thread