Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe

leica posted:

Ok, so I think I'm going to go with the Moto G, and I noticed on Amazon that I can get a second gen for 99 bucks, is the third gen 80 bucks better tho?

Also Cricket offers the Moto E for 30 bucks with activation, but they don't offer the G what the gently caress.
If AT&T had a Motorolla in their line-up, I'd've gone for that no problem. Good choice. Regarding "80 bucks better," I'd say "no" at first glance. 4 cores is awesome and 80 smackeroos can get you all kinds of ________.

edit: upon closer inspection of their specs, I'd say "absolutely no" to 80 bucks better.

scuz fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Feb 10, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Geirskogul posted:

Put an alligator clip between the two on the bare case back of each. If the hum is gone, it's a ground issue.

I don't understand, what do you mean by the "bare case back"?

Cellular Suicide posted:

Don't have a ton of EE experience, but after building a few headphone amps/tube preamps I can almost assure you the quality of the RCA cables is not the issue. You can almost wrap aluminum foil between the connections and, as long as there's continuity, it'll transmit the signal without alteration. You may have a ground loop issue, try making sure they are both firmly grounded to the same source and go from there.

Both the TV and speakers are plugged in to the same source, a surge protected power strip. Should I try a different power strip and see if that works?

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

BloodBag posted:

The worst part right now is the loving Sanders echo chamber. I didn't care about him before, but now I loving hate him and his fanbase.

A person I work with has a "feel the Bern" sticker on her honda. It's been stolen 2 times in the last 3 months. Everybody gives her poo poo for getting pissed off on grounds that she needs to check her white privilege since her wealth is simply being redistributed to the less fortunate. She doesn't think it's amusing.

Cellular Suicide
Dec 9, 2005

Classical 33's at 45RPM

leica posted:

I don't understand, what do you mean by the "bare case back"?

Both the TV and speakers are plugged in to the same source, a surge protected power strip. Should I try a different power strip and see if that works?

The noise going away with the TV off is a good sign to point towards a grounding issue, try to connect two unpainted surfaces between the speakers and the TV with some spare wire. For quickness, you might even just find a case-mounting screw on each device (make sure it's a metal screw going into a metal part of the case). Back each screw out just a bit, wrap a stripped end of wire around the screw and tighten them back down.

Geirskogul's advice was way better than mine - try to find an unpainted, bare metal portion of each device and connect them by attaching a wire between them. If the humming still occurs there probably isn't a 'clean' (sorry for being vague, I don't have a better word for this) signal path in the speakers to handle being turned way up with a very low input volume. Some of the better (Millet hybrid) amps I've built can handle being turned to max without much extra noise or distortion, while the cheaper (CMOY or similar) ones distort badly near full volume.

ZincBoy
May 7, 2006

Think again Jimmy!

Bajaha posted:

I've seen 'peers' struggle with many types of circuits and problems, usually I figure it's because they relied on their lab partners to actually get poo poo done and just coasted through the labs, statistically you'd think that eventually these resistant learners would end up in a group together then they'd maybe learn a little, but maybe not. Commonly I'd see things like giant rats nests of wiring protruding from the breadboards with connections all shifted over by one, unpowerd IC's, long leads on through-hole components creating unwanted connections because they weaved a bunch of components across each other, and order of magnitude errors with component selection. There is very little understanding of parasitic capacitance, or component specifications, or how to read a spec sheet.

But this most recent case made my head explode was them failing to properly design and build a FIRST ORDER RC LOW PASS FILTER to filter the output from an microcontroller working as an arbitrary waveform generator . ITS TWO GODDAMN COMPONENTS and they know what frequency range their generated signal should be in. This is like first year high school stuff.

I can't make this poo poo up.

Haha! Exactly! A number of years ago there was a 3rd year EE intern that I worked with. One day he walked into the lab, picked up a 1/4W resistor and asked "What's this?" in all seriousness. When he was told it was a resistor, he asked "What does it do?". All A marks, smart guy, but absolutely no hands on or hardware skills, would have struggled with a RC filter. This individual also crashed and destroyed a $10k RF micro probe not once, but twice. The second time was after even more training and detailed instructions on what not to do. He got moved out of the lab and into a team doing data analysis where he couldn't do any harm.

The closest we could figure is that he must done everyone's math assignments and they did his labs.

If you are in school do something in one of the clubs, or at least try to build something on your own. If you can't or won't do this, there is a much higher probability that you will hate your job.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Cellular Suicide posted:

The noise going away with the TV off is a good sign to point towards a grounding issue, try to connect two unpainted surfaces between the speakers and the TV with some spare wire. For quickness, you might even just find a case-mounting screw on each device (make sure it's a metal screw going into a metal part of the case). Back each screw out just a bit, wrap a stripped end of wire around the screw and tighten them back down.

Geirskogul's advice was way better than mine - try to find an unpainted, bare metal portion of each device and connect them by attaching a wire between them. If the humming still occurs there probably isn't a 'clean' (sorry for being vague, I don't have a better word for this) signal path in the speakers to handle being turned way up with a very low input volume. Some of the better (Millet hybrid) amps I've built can handle being turned to max without much extra noise or distortion, while the cheaper (CMOY or similar) ones distort badly near full volume.

Ok, I gotcha now. So if it does turn out to be a grounding issue how do I fix it? I'm starting to wonder if maybe it's just a lovely amp on the part of bose, but I've had it apart to clean the volume control and it seemed pretty substantial so who knows. I also have a pair of M-Audio powered monitors I could hook up and see what happens.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

BloodBag posted:

This thread had reddit chat earlier, I think. The worst part right now is the loving Sanders echo chamber. I didn't care about him before, but now I loving hate him and his fanbase. I'm sure the venn diagram of Sanders fanbois and Elon Musk knob-gobblers overlaps almost completely. I guess since the death of Steve Jobs these loving people need some celebrity idolize.

Also, hearing about Sanders: I feel like I've heard less grandiose promises 8 and 4 years ago that, like these, have gone unfulfilled.

elon musk aficionados are usually libertarian bootstrap!! wankers, so probably not

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

leica posted:

I also have a pair of M-Audio powered monitors I could hook up and see what happens.

Be careful with these, they might make you realize how terrible the Bose stuff sounded :v:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Raluek posted:

Be careful with these, they might make you realize how terrible the Bose stuff sounded :v:

Haha yeah those are connected to my desktop along with a powered sub for music. The Bose are actually decent for a TV, WAY better than using any stock TV speakers, but I have considered upgrading my desktop with bigger monitors and putting the M-Audio monitors with the TV. For now the Bose are doing a decent job, I've had them for two decades now and they have been through multiple CRT's and now an LED TV :v:

Cellular Suicide
Dec 9, 2005

Classical 33's at 45RPM

leica posted:

Ok, I gotcha now. So if it does turn out to be a grounding issue how do I fix it? I'm starting to wonder if maybe it's just a lovely amp on the part of bose, but I've had it apart to clean the volume control and it seemed pretty substantial so who knows. I also have a pair of M-Audio powered monitors I could hook up and see what happens.

If the added ground fixes the problem I might try to just wrap the ground wire along the RCA cable to the speakers and leave it, I'm not sure of a way to permanently solve the issue other than a physical tether between the devices.

leica posted:

Haha yeah those are connected to my desktop along with a powered sub for music. The Bose are actually decent for a TV, WAY better than using any stock TV speakers, but I have considered upgrading my desktop with bigger monitors and putting the M-Audio monitors with the TV. For now the Bose are doing a decent job, I've had them for two decades now and they have been through multiple CRT's and now an LED TV :v:

No doubt the Bose will sound better than most/any built-in TV speaker; any other powered speaker will probably sound better than the Bose, but that's a huge amount of personal prejudice entering the picture. If grounding solves the issue I'd figure out an acceptable way to leave the ground between the speakers and TV in place, and use the Bose until I had some huge reason not to (read: replaced the M-Audio's as a primary computer set and moved them down the priority list to the TV).

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Ok, if the tether works I'll just leave it, one more wire added to the nest won't hurt I guess. Thanks!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

keykey posted:

A person I work with has a "feel the Bern" sticker on her honda. It's been stolen 2 times in the last 3 months. Everybody gives her poo poo for getting pissed off on grounds that she needs to check her white privilege since her wealth is simply being redistributed to the less fortunate. She doesn't think it's amusing.

During Obama's first campaign there were daily reports of vandalized cars and the common factor ended up being "Change" stickers.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

Rhyno posted:

During Obama's first campaign there were daily reports of vandalized cars and the common factor ended up being "Change" stickers.

Classy.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Indiana.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Welp, tried to polish the headlights on mom's car.

Thought they looked good until I hit them with compound. Turns out I didn't buff them enough... and had already thrown the buffing disc in the trash (and you do not want to reach into our outside trash can). :sigh: Looks like I'm going to get another polishing kit and try to fix my fuckup.

At least they actually light up the road now! (they just look terrible)

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Check rockauto for replacement lamps, they were only $25 each for my camry so i just replaced them and it looks ten times better. On the other hand $120 each for the Protege no loving way.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Huh. Surprisingly, they're only $40/each on Rockauto, $51/ea on Amazon.

Bumper has to come off, which is a PITA, and they'll probably have to be aimed, but at least I won't be polishing them again in a few years.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe
Ronin: a Good Movie that features Real Action & Car Chases. Watched the opening scene of Age of Ultron and decided I didn't believe any of it and that it wasn't exciting v:shobon:v

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Just got off the phone with healthcare.gov, was trying to find out why they didn't accept anything I'd submitted to prove my income (all my W2s, all my 1099s, a profit and loss log, my tax return, every pay stub I had from 2015, bank statements.....)

Turns out they want me to print everything, then write my SSN, DOB, and application ID on everything, then scan it and resubmit. :wtc: I thought the whole point behind being able to upload documents was to avoid this poo poo? I mean, the documents are kinda tied to my account, which has all of that loving info already. :fuckoff:

I'm so loving tempted to print everything, hand-write all of that info on every page as small as humanly possible (well over 150 pages if you factor in bank statements), and send it certified mail RRQ to them.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Been having issues with my mouse lately and figured out that it was sitting funny due to the cover over the battery not sitting right. I yanked the cover off about a week ago and noticed today that the mouse was sitting horribly crooked and noticed when I picked it up and looked at it that the battery had swelled to almost double its normal height. Its now sitting out in the driveway until it goes back to a normal size and can be safely tossed or I find a way to safely destroy it. Thats the first battery I've ever had swell like that. :catstare:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

:stare:

Rechargeable or alkaline? (my mouse uses plain AAs, which is why I ask..) If it's just a regular alkaline battery, I'd just leave it outside for a bit then chuck it in (outdoor) garbage. If it's rechargeable, uh, call whoever manufactured the mouse?

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Its a rechargeable lithium battery. And I'm not going to bother razer over a 4 year old battery when it is pretty much a case of my own dumbness. I've left it with the charging cable plugged in since I didn't like the delay while using it wirelessly and I didn't yank the battery since I like having the weight of it in the mouse. Its just surprising to see how much it swelled in like a week, though I suspect its been doing it longer and is responsible for the battery cover breaking.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Go poke it with a knife.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

I cracked the shits with my 16gb Iphone 5 today after i deleted all the videos off it, and two apps, and it still told me I had insufficient space to take a panorama of the work we were doing clearing up one of our booked sites for a wedding.

So I bitched to my mate who works for the major telco here and hes bringing me home a new iPhone 6s 64GB phone on a new plan, which im claiming 50% of for work purposes (which is about right surprisingly looking at my bills) at tax time, and will end up costing me less than im currently paying! Hoorah!

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Elmnt80 posted:

Its a rechargeable lithium battery. And I'm not going to bother razer over a 4 year old battery when it is pretty much a case of my own dumbness. I've left it with the charging cable plugged in since I didn't like the delay while using it wirelessly and I didn't yank the battery since I like having the weight of it in the mouse. Its just surprising to see how much it swelled in like a week, though I suspect its been doing it longer and is responsible for the battery cover breaking.

You know what's kinda funny?

My $25 wireless Logitech M510 has zero noticeable delay, even while gaming. Admittedly I don't play anything more modern than Counterstrike Source, but I've noticed zero difference compared to plenty of wired gaming mice. :iiam:

Admittedly I haven't used any remotely recent gaming stuff.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 09:14 on Feb 10, 2016

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

the spyder posted:

1) Correct, they use 24v POE
2) POE can be injected at any point of a standard, 100M cable run. The limitation here is the cable standard, not the POE.
3) Ubiquiti makes POE switches, but I've always ran the injectors. One per AP. No reason to buy special hardware when you're dealing with such a low number of AP's.
https://www.ubnt.com/accessories/toughswitch/

Geoj posted:

Yes, they use a proprietary PoE system instead of 802.3af/at which requires you to use the included injectors, a Ubiquiti toughswitch ($$$) or alternatively they also sell PoE adapters that allow you to power their devices off of a normal PoE switch.

Same as any other single continuous ethernet cable run - 100 meters.

Thanks a million you guys! I keep being surprised of how much poo poo the AI collective knows. If anyone have questions about embedded Bluetooth development, let me know... :)

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

German officer Johannes Bolter peeks out the hatch of his Tiger I heavy tank during a quiet moment before the Battle of Kursk - c:1943 (colorized)
Slippery Tilde

Powershift posted:

Go poke it with a knife.

Make sure to set up a video camera first.

Elmnt80 posted:

It's not a case of your own dumbness, it's just a case of the battery being old. Contrary to popular belief, leaving lithium battery powered devices plugged into the charger all the time is not a problem. It's actually better for them.

I can go into detail if you like, but the tl;dr is NiCd batteries need regular cycling, NiMh like to be cycled a bit if they haven't been used in a while, and Li chemistries couldn't give a poo poo as long as they're not overvolted (which nothing does anymore).

Li is limited only by how many total discharge cycles it can handle before it's out of capacity. Leaving your laptop plugged in will actually lengthen the life of the battery, contrary to the belief of a surprisingly large number of people.

Every now and then you should run a Li device down to empty and charge it back up to full again, but that has nothing to do with the cell chemistry and everything to do with the fancy bits of electronics that monitor modern Li batteries from the inside. (Recalibrates the capacity meter)

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

some texas redneck posted:

Just got off the phone with healthcare.gov, was trying to find out why they didn't accept anything I'd submitted to prove my income (all my W2s, all my 1099s, a profit and loss log, my tax return, every pay stub I had from 2015, bank statements.....)

Turns out they want me to print everything, then write my SSN, DOB, and application ID on everything, then scan it and resubmit. :wtc:

Could you just digitally sign using Acrobat and c/p on all the pages?

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

That would make things too easy.

Also that would require spending money on Acrobat. (well there's always the :filez: option)

ephphatha
Dec 18, 2009

You could shittily photoshop your details onto scans of each page in the most obnoxious possible position, Paint would be perfect for that :D

Timmy Cruise
Jun 9, 2007

some texas redneck posted:

That would make things too easy.

Also that would require spending money on Acrobat. (well there's always the :filez: option)

http://www.tracker-software.com/product/pdf-xchange-editor

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Pro-click right here. I use this at work every day. There are so many amazing features in this software. I usually use it do select section views with the 'camera' and then print them out so I can do my trig on them. Schlumberger is notorious for making section views that have to be trigged out to get their co-ordinate values if you don't want to program things in polar coordinates.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Bajaha posted:

I've seen 'peers' struggle with many types of circuits and problems, usually I figure it's because they relied on their lab partners to actually get poo poo done and just coasted through the labs, statistically you'd think that eventually these resistant learners would end up in a group together then they'd maybe learn a little, but maybe not. Commonly I'd see things like giant rats nests of wiring protruding from the breadboards with connections all shifted over by one, unpowerd IC's, long leads on through-hole components creating unwanted connections because they weaved a bunch of components across each other, and order of magnitude errors with component selection. There is very little understanding of parasitic capacitance, or component specifications, or how to read a spec sheet.

But this most recent case made my head explode was them failing to properly design and build a FIRST ORDER RC LOW PASS FILTER to filter the output from an microcontroller working as an arbitrary waveform generator . ITS TWO GODDAMN COMPONENTS and they know what frequency range their generated signal should be in. This is like first year high school stuff.

I can't make this poo poo up.

I had a guy who claimed to have taken several c and operating systems classes fail to come up with the phrases mutex, semaphore, or critical section when fed an intended freebie question during a phone screen.

People lie on their resumes after doing the bare minimum to squeak through classes and it is so, so obvious when it happens.

same thing happens when I try to screen good EEs.

Emushka
Jul 5, 2007
Just had 5 days of fun with a 2015 Range Rover Sport.

man oh man it is an awesome ride.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

If it wasn't such an unreliable gas guzzler, the Range Rover would be the perfect car for most people.

T-Square
May 14, 2009

Going to look at a 2007 Civic tonight for my girlfriend, car has around 80k on it I think. I've heard the early to mid 00's Civics were pretty meh, and I'm only really familiar with earlier EG's, EK's, etc. Are there any issues these cars have that I should be aware of and look out for?

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

Finally caved and saw The Revenant last night. I've never been so bored in my life. Somehow a 2.5 hour was magically stretched in one that felt like 5 hours, definite Oscar fodder. I get the thing people are going crazy over is the way it was filmed, etc.. But at some point people have to realize the point of going to see a movie is to be entertained and this just didn't do that. The scenery was beautiful, but the story was generic.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Emushka posted:

Just had 5 days of fun with a 2015 Range Rover Sport.

man oh man it is an awesome ride.

How many times did it break in those 5 days?

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

keykey posted:

Finally caved and saw The Revenant last night. I've never been so bored in my life. Somehow a 2.5 hour was magically stretched in one that felt like 5 hours, definite Oscar fodder. I get the thing people are going crazy over is the way it was filmed, etc.. But at some point people have to realize the point of going to see a movie is to be entertained and this just didn't do that. The scenery was beautiful, but the story was generic.

Yeah I felt pretty much the same way, and I have no problem with long or "slow" films in general (2001:SO is an - time favorite.)

The academy (and STR) might enjoy watching DeCaprio suffer the world's most difficult, grizzly-induced orgasm for two hours but I thought it was a bit tedious.

The Royal Nonesuch fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Feb 10, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
I hate watching movies that were filmed near where I live because it's always like OH poo poo WHAT LEO IS GETTING MAULED BY A BEAR NEAR THE 7-11?

• Locked thread