Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Onmi posted:

Bolding the only part that doesn't sound cool.

I initially misread that as Basch having conflicted feelings for Larsa - which made things weird for a second.
The lack of a typical romance subplot was interesting in XII - yeah there's Balthier and Chewbacca, but that's an established partnership as opposed to a new romance type thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Is FFX-2 actual hard, or am I just getting old or bad? I am not out of chapter 1 and I am having the feeling that I can only assume the people who didn't understand FF13 had where I can neither damage things fast enough or heal fast enough to feel like I am getting anywhere, whether its boss fights or even random encounters. Is there some aha thing I am missing like I should have been side questing this whole time or something? Part of me wants to assume its a level thing because I am on some robot boss that still hits me every time even with darkness applied but I don't know what else I could have been doing this whole time to get levels besides grinding.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Fortress would have been awful and the only reason it gets mentioned is because it didn't happen. GRIN's actual development was in the toilet.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Pesky Splinter posted:

I initially misread that as Basch having conflicted feelings for Larsa - which made things weird for a second.
The lack of a typical romance subplot was interesting in XII - yeah there's Balthier and Chewbacca, but that's an established partnership as opposed to a new romance type thing.

Yeah, like early on you get the "Ashe jumps into Vaan's arms literally" so me first time through is going Okay so that's going to become a whole thing. But no, Ashe is crazy and obsessed with revenge and she doesn't really think of anyone in a romantic manner. Like some people think she and Balthier have a romantic plot and it's... I know Fran only really has one area in the game where the plot is focused on her arc, but that doesn't mean she doesn't exist, and it's very obvious they're a couple. It's just not super important to bring up. Basch is focused on his Honor, anything Penelo would have done got left for Revenant Wings, and Vaan is a broken mess of a human being who wants a better life.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

Man, I really want to ask about if grinding out Sephiroth's Quest To Murder Shiva is the only way to get Jenova Cells for his suit. And maybe also if I should swap jobs since I think I'm wrecking as Monk on Solo.

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

widespread posted:

Man, I really want to ask about if grinding out Sephiroth's Quest To Murder Shiva is the only way to get Jenova Cells for his suit.

what?

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

Oh, sorry. Forgot to mention it's in Final Fantasy Explorers. One of the quests has you killing Shiva again and the reward is a Jenova Cell. The quest-giver's name is just "Long-Haired Samurai".

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Vaan was a good character, and I liked him.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Fister Roboto posted:

:agreed:, except "is" and "like" because I'm still playing through. Like yeah he's the designated goof and that's harder to tolerate with voice acting but when he's not loving up he's fine.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Fister Roboto posted:

Also agreed. He actually responds to life like a pretty realistic teenager, without being a total dick about it like Squall. And he tends to get past his issues and mature up pretty fast.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
With all this talk about FF12 it is surely a premonition of the coming FF12 IZJS port. We are ALL going to be Captain Basch von Ronsenburg of Dalmasca.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
not me, i'm never touching FF12 again

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

mandatory lesbian posted:

not me, i'm never touching FF12 again

That's probably for the best, the story doesn't resolve in a satisfying way. If that's your focus, even FF8 is better.

Gameplay is too subjective to say much, but I had a lot of fun with FF8, even more than I had with 10.

gigglefeimer
Mar 16, 2007

zedprime posted:

Is FFX-2 actual hard, or am I just getting old or bad? I am not out of chapter 1 and I am having the feeling that I can only assume the people who didn't understand FF13 had where I can neither damage things fast enough or heal fast enough to feel like I am getting anywhere, whether its boss fights or even random encounters. Is there some aha thing I am missing like I should have been side questing this whole time or something? Part of me wants to assume its a level thing because I am on some robot boss that still hits me every time even with darkness applied but I don't know what else I could have been doing this whole time to get levels besides grinding.

X-2 can be pretty hard if you don't do any sidequests at all. Of course, it gets much easier if you do any sort of side content or gain extra levels. It also makes a big difference what dresspheres you're using.

About the robot boss, Haymaker and Blast Punch never miss. Its regular physical attack is affected by Darkness, but it's not guaranteed to miss either.

gigglefeimer fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Feb 10, 2016

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

That's probably for the best, the story doesn't resolve in a satisfying way. If that's your focus, even FF8 is better.

Gameplay is too subjective to say much, but I had a lot of fun with FF8, even more than I had with 10.

Eh, it resolved satisfying enough for me. It was a total Matsuno ending though. "Congrats, history will never remember what you've done here, Basch needs to live a lie for the rest of his life, everyone Larsa loved is dead, and Ashe has the responsibility of rebuilding her nation now. Also Vaan completely shat upon all of the character development he had to this point, and Penelo was there."

Life Persists, and it wont ever remember what you've done, just the populists account.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

To be fair, if you didn't know all the endings like that were by the same guy they'd seem like realistic, if cynical, breaths of fresh air in an entertainment industry full of happy endings.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Final Fantasy XII is basically my favorite fantasy world hiking simulator. Plot problems aside, that game is loving bursting with graphical details. Rabanastre is a huge bustling city that feels really alive and vibrant, all of the locations are just fantastic and cool. I loved how when it rained in that one grassland area it would flood and create whole new areas to explore. Or that sweet cave that's totally optional, just tucked away in the middle of a field, and you go into this really pretty sandy passage and then it gets darker and hotter and more ominous and then there's danger deep within and you discover this without anyone prompting you or really any reason to do so except you, the player, want to.

FF12 has probably the longest stretches of uninterrupted gameplay in any FF since the classic 2-D ones. It's just loving great looking and you all should just get really high and just wander around the sweet island outside the Pharos and check out the sunset on the ocean or go to the Sandsea and hang out on a loving oil rig in a shifting field of semi-liquid sand.

Oh poo poo or go explore the spooky forest place, that poo poo was dope, you'd have your party reflected on ribbons of magical fog that randomly passed in front of you, so it's unsettling and awesome looking at the same time. FFXII is great.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
yeah thanks for all the words dude but pretty graphics doesn't make up for how boring it is

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

I have somehow still never played XII. It cant be worse than XIII since that had probably the most unlikable cast to ever appear in a FF game.

IX is my second favorite though so Im probably just not a good judge of games. :shobon:

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Nah people like 9 here, generally. :) XII is fairly love/hate, it's worth trying yourself.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
To me XII and XIII have the same problem. The dungeons go on forever and ever and ever. Then you have a short scene and go straight to another over-long dungeon. XII does have more towns but it's still very noticable.

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe
Everyone in ff12 was pretty cool except for vaan who iirc was literally added last minute to the game because the producers wanted a twinky protagonist. AFAIK basch and ashe were supposed to be the original protags.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Under the vegetable posted:

Everyone in ff12 was pretty cool except for vaan who iirc was literally added last minute to the game because the producers wanted a twinky protagonist. AFAIK basch and ashe were supposed to be the original protags.

You are remembering incorrectly. Vaan was the last protagonist added, but they hadn't even drawn anyone when the producers told them to add him.

And his name wasn't Vaan when he was created, it was Aqua.

Basically they had "Story idea" Producers said "add a pretty boy" and then that was it.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you
XII has decent characters, but for me, what makes them work is the localized dialogue and the voice acting. In particular, Gideon Emery (Balthier), Kevin Ferguson (Basch), and Nicole Fantl (Fran) kill it.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

isk posted:

XII has decent characters, but what makes them work for me is the localized dialogue and the voice acting. In particular, Gideon Emery (Balthier), Kevin Ferguson (Basch), and Nicole Fantl (Fran) kill it.

Seriously it's rarely a game especially at that time, where the voice acting was ruined more by the audio compression than the voice actors being awkward. But it really is that for FFXII, the Audio Compression seriously hampers an amazing performance.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

isk posted:

XII has decent characters, but for me, what makes them work is the localized dialogue and the voice acting. In particular, Gideon Emery (Balthier), Kevin Ferguson (Basch), and Nicole Fantl (Fran) kill it.

Yeah, despite the bizarre sound level issues, the voice acting somehow manages to be enjoyable regardless. Balthier is just fantastic in every scene, he really is.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Screenshots of this actually look much nicer than I expected.

Except the text entry screens ew

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

zedprime posted:

It's just really badly balanced. Stacking debuffs and buffs makes a lot of bosses a joke, remember that the special dresspheres can usually both debuff and buff and you can spend a chunk of time getting someone to like, -10 attack, -10 defense and yourself to +10 attack and defense and just hit them to death

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

So the gently caress is up with "Amarant Coral"? I thought "The Flaming Amarant" was a nickname as a mercenary and didn't have any bearing on his name as a person.

E: Haha they mention Tetra Master and loving Jump Rope in the ads.

VVV Ah, well then. :downs:

AlphaKretin fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Feb 10, 2016

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

AlphaKretin posted:

So the gently caress is up with "Amarant Coral"? I thought "The Flaming Amarant" was a nickname as a mercenary and didn't have any bearing on his name as a person.

E: Haha they mention Tetra Master and loving Jump Rope in the ads.

His name is Amarant. The Flaming Amarant is his trade name like The Great Houdini or whatever.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Oh yeah, something else about Vaan's role in 12: He's the other one to see visions from the Dawn Shard.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

AlphaKretin posted:

Oh yeah, something else about Vaan's role in 12: He's the other one to see visions from the Dawn Shard.

Yup, which is a whole thing, he stops seeing them because he stops being a tool of the Occuria, giving up his desire for revenge and moving on with his life.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
To me FFXII is the precursor to Xenoblade series. It's nowhere near as involved gameplay wise but the world building is excellent and there's genuine feeling of discovery as you stumble on completely optional areas.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

So Vaan's now alright in my books but why is Penelo with the party?

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Golden Goat posted:

:shrug: IIRC she throws out some hand wave about not wanting to be left behind but why that is and why she doesn't bail when poo poo gets more serious is anyone's guess.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Golden Goat posted:

The cast would be two women and three men without her and prior to ffxv this simply would not do.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

she's there because larsa has a crush on her

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Larsa and Penelo, sitting in a tree...

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Penelo's cool and has cute pigtails

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

Fister Roboto posted:

I also liked Cambot