Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

Helsing posted:

Maybe BC really does have the worst provincial government right now. I didn't think that you could get anything worse than the Quebec Liberals but I'm starting to reconsider.

We've been on an accelerating downward slide since 1979. No respite, no uptick, even the Maritimes had better leadership for a while. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Wait people in other provinces don't know about the BC government? We're not famous nationwide?

Guys this government is number 1 garbage government for life. They're gonna be running this province until the end of time and there's nothing anyone can do to stop it.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

ChairMaster posted:

Wait people in other provinces don't know about the BC government? We're not famous nationwide?

Guys this government is number 1 garbage government for life. They're gonna be running this province until the end of time and there's nothing anyone can do to stop it.

nobody ever thought the conservatives would ever lose power in alberta.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
If we're following the Alberta example then BC has another 24 years left before it gets fed up enough. I'll probably be dead before we see a regime change. :smith:

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

James Baud fucked around with this message at 11:13 on Aug 25, 2018

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

You can't make an Omelet without breaking a few eggs. Vote Greens.

I can't stop laughing at this.

Also in housing chat: Today out of morbid curiousity I looked up what the house I grew up in sold for most recently. AUD$1.2 million. My parents bought it for 109k back in the day. :wtc:

ANIME AKBAR
Jan 25, 2007

afu~

froglet posted:

I can't stop laughing at this.
What's to laugh at? Seems like an example of someone learning a harsh lesson, and trying to warn others to not make the same mistakes? If anything, buy them an account.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

ChairMaster posted:

Almost everybody else has their own sharks circling the boat and while we would like to sharpen our pitchforks in support, almost everybody else in the country lives under their own stupid dumb gently caress politicians that need skewerin' (to say nothing of the long term interests that put them there, or the short term ignorance that keeps them there).

SandBox
Feb 16, 2004

Too right it does, it hates being in the cage
Pillbug

ANIME AKBAR posted:

What's to laugh at? Seems like an example of someone learning a harsh lesson, and trying to warn others to not make the same mistakes? If anything, buy them an account.

She's shamelessly promoting her stupid book to help pay off her self-imposed debts. I guess it's "empowering" to have idiots pay off your debt for you? Gonna need to sell a lot of books, lady.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Helsing posted:

Maybe BC really does have the worst provincial government right now. I didn't think that you could get anything worse than the Quebec Liberals but I'm starting to reconsider.

Nuh uh :smug:

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
Does any province actually like their elected Premier currently?

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
If you don't live out here, it is pretty hard to keep track of how bad BC really is.

When Glen Clark was forced out of office for bribery, he was eventually criminally cleared because the court found he was too stupid to realize he was being bribed. :cryingBCflag:

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
But hey, keep voting bcndp sjws

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

DariusLikewise posted:

Does any province actually like their elected Premier currently?

I think Saskatchewan voters like Brad Wall, and I think goons like Rachel Notley.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

vyelkin posted:

I think Saskatchewan voters like Brad Wall, and I think goons like Rachel Notley.

As an outsider Brad Wall always looks like an idiot to me, but I guess I can see how the conservative-rural population of Saskatchewan would love him.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

James Baud posted:

That would be a typo of $76,000 ... And that's why cities are so gung ho for (re)development. The larger Vancouver-area cities are sitting on many hundreds of millions.
Is it? My immediate interpretation was that the Liberals and the Sun used French decimal notation to make $76.00 seem like a significant amount of money compared to $450,000.00

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the dank of Sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion.
A significant portion of those development cost charges go towards the significant cost of upgrading municipal infrastructure to support densification.

I guess Christy's solution is to make condos cheaper by having us all disconnected from the sewer and water system. Maybe pooping in buckets is the new microsuite?

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Might work given the culture of the buyers

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Why not have toilet-free condo towers? Why not let the buyer/market decide what expensive amenities or structural/engineering standards buildings are built to? The government could solve affordability in a second if they stopped distorting the market.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

The Manitoba Liberal leader is running on the promise of eliminating the Land Transfer tax... To make home buying more affordable

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Winnipeg RE prices are going down sooo

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Franks Happy Place posted:

A significant portion of those development cost charges go towards the significant cost of upgrading municipal infrastructure to support densification.

I guess Christy's solution is to make condos cheaper by having us all disconnected from the sewer and water system. Maybe pooping in buckets is the new microsuite?

Also any sort of money you make from the Land Transfer Tax or permits fees are easily wipe out by the city having provide additional infrastructure and local schools.

Remember that article on how Albertans bought homes far away from the core and got mad learning that the city had to cancel plans to build schools in the neighborhood?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

THC posted:

Is it? My immediate interpretation was that the Liberals and the Sun used French decimal notation to make $76.00 seem like a significant amount of money compared to $450,000.00

It's a typo, the $76,000 number has been trotted out before.

https://www.biv.com/article/2015/6/city-condo-costs-half-million-dollars-its-even-bui/

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

etalian posted:

Remember that article on how Albertans bought homes far away from the core and got mad learning that the city had to cancel plans to build schools in the neighborhood?

I do remember that, it gave me a boner.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

No one in vancouver currently gives a poo poo about $76k.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Cultural Imperial posted:

No one in vancouver currently gives a poo poo about $76k.

Lot of people crying about it in these articles.

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the dank of Sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion.

Subjunctive posted:

Lot of people crying about it in these articles.

Developers aren't people. :ssh:

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
For real, no one in Vancouver in the hunt for real estate cares about $76k. It's loving play money for everyone. If a 500sq ft apartment can cost almost $1000/sqft, that is defacto not giving a poo poo about value.

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Cultural Imperial posted:

loving lol

This is right on one of the busiest streets in east vancouver. Not to mention a lovely loving neighbourhood.

A cautious and deeply considered weighing of the costs associated with Vancouver homes is top of the mind for every resident of the city.

T.C.
Feb 10, 2004

Believe.

This is hilarious, because a significant portion of that money is calculated as a fraction of the land value increase due to the zoning change. So the developer is actually coming out ahead for densifying.

Buying land already zoned for the occupancy type would have even *greater* costs to the developer but would have significantly lower government fees.

A headline of "Land is probably overpriced!" Wouldn't be an excuse to bitch about government fees, I guess.

snorch
Jul 27, 2009

Ccs posted:

The bust on the other end of this VFX/animation boom is gonna be fun.

We're just here for the cheap subsidized loonies.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/repo...rticle28711928/

quote:

Ontario’s real estate regulator says it is considering warning agents to play by the rules when it comes to flipping houses, after British Columbia’s move to clamp down on the controversial, but legal, practice of selling assignments.

The Real Estate Council of Ontario, the self-governing body that regulates the province’s real estate industry, says it doesn’t believe the practice of assignment flipping is widespread in Ontario. However, it is closely watching developments in B.C., where regulators have promised an investigation into concerns some agents are not properly disclosing their financial interests in a sale.

“The reporting out of B.C. certainly has been pushed to the front burner of our attention and we’re certainly monitoring what’s going on,” said Kelvin Kucey, deputy registrar of regulatory compliance for Ontario’s real estate council.

Ontario’s regulator is considering issuing a registrar’s bulletin, a formal notice to industry members, reminding them that agents must disclose their interests in a prospective sale to everyone involved in the transaction, along with disclosing any information that could potentially affect the value of the property.

Mr. Kucey said the council also wanted to encourage sellers to do their due diligence if they’re approached by an agent offering to buy their home, which includes making sure they’re getting the best price.

“If this is a concern as a seller that somebody may be buying the property at a lower price than what you think, maybe you need to ask some more questions with regards to what the basis of the market analysis is and then don’t stop at the first analysis that you get,” he said.

The Ontario industry’s reaction comes after a Globe and Mail investigation revealed some agents in B.C. have reaped massive profits through a practice known as a contract assignment, which involves arranging a sale and then finding a new buyer willing to pay more before the deal closes, in essence “assign-ing.”

The revelations triggered a swift reaction from B.C. Premier Christy Clark, who said the province was prepared to take more control over the real estate brokerage sector if it did not immediately move to discourage the technique.

In Ontario, as in B.C., there are no reliable data on assignments. The practice is legal and some argue it is an important element of the housing industry that allows buyers to get out of a costly deal if their personal circumstances suddenly change.

However, several provinces require Realtors to get the consent of the seller in advance before assigning a deal to a new buyer.

Ontario’s real estate council received 11 complaints last year about improper disclosure by Realtors, but said most involved minor paper-work issues, not “malicious intent.”

“The assignment aspect really hasn’t crystallized in Ontario on a complaint basis,” Mr. Kucey said. “But obviously we’re monitoring what’s going on in British Columbia and if we have complaints where this is actually taking place in Ontario, we will investigate. And if the evidence is there, we’ll certainly prosecute any Realtor who is not abiding by the rules and regulations.”

Assignments were never a major issue in Alberta even during the province’s real estate-boom years and have become less of a concern in the current soft market, said Natalie Scollard of the Real Estate Council of Alberta. “This is the type of thing you would be more likely to see in a rising, escalating market, which Alberta is not right now,” she said.

The province banned so called “dual agency,” where Realtors can represent both a seller and a buyer, in 2008. It was replaced with something called a transaction brokerage, where a realtor can help both sides do a deal, but can’t act on behalf of either party and must keep details of both confidential.

In Toronto, where fierce bidding wars have broken out for detached homes and prices of some properties have soared at double-digit annual rates, Realtors say they have yet to see widespread evidence of the issues facing Vancouver’s market, where Realtors have been able to flip properties in a matter of days or weeks at a massive markup. The Toronto Real Estate Board issued a statement saying it was “not aware of any concerns” about assignment flipping.

“We haven’t come across it a lot yet in the city,” said Adam Brind, broker at Core Assets Inc. in downtown Toronto. “But that doesn’t mean that maybe we won’t start to see it if prices and demand keep growing in Toronto.”

In some cases, prospective buyers have lost out on a bidding war and have approached the winning buyer about reselling the property at a higher price. Mr. Brind saw one deal in which a losing bidder offered the successful buyers an extra $100,000 to purchase a property only days after they had bought it.

Toronto was once home to an active assignment market for preconstruction condos, in which investors bought units at a discount years before a building was constructed and then sold the assignment rights to speculators hoping to cash in on future price increases, often paying fees to a developer for the privilege. The practice has slowed in recent years as developers realized they could price their preconstruction units higher and keep those profits for themselves.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
Lol "considering warning realtors to play by the rules".

I swear to God this loving country.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

quote:

Your Investment Property
is pleased
to present to you Kate and Matt
Moloney as this year’s winner of the
award. This young couple wowed
our judged with their awe-inspiring
ability to get together property
finance, even in times
when they’ve
been without savings or equity.
Congratulations also go to the
award’s runners up: Nathan Birch

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Side effects of the Canadian recessions will include Cultural Imperial dying from priapism.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

[quote="CBC: Atlantic Canada in financial ruin within 10 years, predicts economist
]A New Brunswick economist is warning that Atlantic Canadians will become second-class citizens because of its aging population.

Richard Saillant, director of the Donald J. Savoie Institute based at the University of Moncton, is predicting financial ruin for the eastern provinces within 10 years, with drastic implications for government services.

"Health care, free, universal as we know it will no longer exist," said Saillant, because the health care spending as a percentage of GDP will be twice as high as it is right now."

"People are already saying that it's straining public finances, it's 40 per cent of the provincial budgets at this point. Imagine when you double that amount of money as older individuals cost much more to the system," Saillant said.

One in five Atlantic Canadians is a senior citizen, he said, but in 20 years, that proportion will be one in three, which is why he is calling for a new way to transfer federal funding for health care.

"Equalization only takes into account revenues, not needs," he said.

"Our needs will be greater."

Saillant is recommending some tough medicine for New Brunswick, including closing some schools to reduce the teacher-to-student ratio and taking advantage of every economic opportunity, including shale gas development.[/quote]

I listened to this guy's interview on CBC the other day. As well as taking any type of regulation off oil and gas extraction, a large portion of his solution involved cutting teaching positions, which the article sort of gleams over. He wants schools with low numbers shut down, which is a contentious topic for rural areas because it means sending students long distances on dangerous roads during the winter.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
Why not just work to reduce the cost of healthcare? Less interventional care and more hospice/palliative care.

Just because we can treat stage 4 metastatic cancer doesn't mean we should treat stage 4 metastatic cancer in a 95 year old to gain 2 months.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Whatever the solution is, I don't think the Maritimes are going to pull out of their situation by firing teachers and closing schools.

Where I live young make students already miss quite a bit of school because they have work to do, and that's with a 10 minute round trip from home to school. If you start sending them an hour away on winding rural roads littered with little wooden crosses and wreaths many students will just stop going to school.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

School closure and students traveling long distances is already an issue that has come up in NS: last year in the Chignecto board there was some outcry over a school review process that would have students travel to the next closest school, which was only ~40 minutes away according to the committee, and when a parent filmed themselves driving from the old school to the new one and it turned out to be over an hour the committee refused to hear their complaints

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
The best part about the Maritimes' inevitable doom is that all their problems would be solved if they were just less racist, but instead all the old white Maritimers got together and decided they would rather let their provinces suffer a slow and painful death than let any nonwhite immigrants in.And when journalists go and ask them about it, they have no justification for it. They say stuff like "Oh yeah, I'm very concerned about the aging population, who's going to pay for my healthcare after I retire???" and then the journalist asks them about immigration and they say "gently caress off we're full" in slightly nicer language.