Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

brotato
May 14, 2013

Voted Worst Mom posted:

Yeah let's not spoil anything. I want to see what murata wants to show, but I'm very excited to see his rendition of the actual story as well because I've re-read the next part several times. I think I watched dbz and yuyu hakusho too many times and now martial arts tournaments scream boring filler to me. I'm sure it will be good tho.
Gotta watch straight up Dragon Ball to get hype for a martial arts tournament. That was my favorite part, so I am kind of excited for the dumb gimmicky fights murata might provide us with.

Especially the weird business dude. I hope he just fuckin clowns on people instead of fighting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
Despite not appearing in the webcomic, is the current stuff in the Murata version still being written by ONE?

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Yes.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

Good!

Where's my God Hand One-Punch Man knockoff game, Platinum?!

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Reinanigans posted:

Good!

Where's my God Hand One-Punch Man knockoff game, Platinum?!

Cheatmode is playing as Saitama, Genos is normal difficulty and King difficulty is playing as King.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

Mordaedil posted:

Cheatmode is playing as Saitama, Genos is normal difficulty and King difficulty is playing as King.

Is King mode a meta-game where it's you playing as King who is in turn playing as Saitama/someone else?

sharktamer
Oct 30, 2011

Shark tamer ridiculous
Pretty sure that would get some kind of integer overflow.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Reinanigans posted:

Is King mode a meta-game where it's you playing as King who is in turn playing as Saitama/someone else?

King is Undertale Pacifist except things violently die because of unrelated events when you win

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

My friends and I were discussing an OPM game by Platinum last night on a W101 stream I was doing and we came to the conclusion that Saitama really wouldn't be a great character action game protagonist on account of the whole one punch thing. If you want a good OPM character action game, you'd probably want Genos as the main character so you can basically have Metal Gear Rising again.

I think my ideal OPM game would have you going through the main story from Genos's perspective and playing through the major chapters as standard Platinum affairs with the main enemies being bosses, like you could have a boss fight against Carnage Kabuto, Deep Sea King and other ancillary villains but the key thing about them is that they'll do something to immediately trash Genos right after you deplete their health, so Saitama would have to come and rescue you in a cutscene. It probably wouldn't be a bad idea if some fights had you playing as different heroes instead, like playing as Puri Puri Prisoner for the first part of the DSK fight, followed by a quick Sonic section, then the main fight with Genos and finishing with a Common Rider defense. The main thing is that you never get to play as Saitama until the alien invasion, where you fight Boros and do so effortlessly. Once that happens and the credits roll, you unlock Saitama mode, where you get to play through the game again from Saitama's perspective and it's a life and time management simulator.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Rather than Genos, I'd prefer to play as Speed of Sound Sonic (lol). I'd love a game where you can move ridiculously fast and have to play around with that skillset. Obviously, Genos is fast too but he's got a different skillset.

King Mode would just be playing Street Fighter or Tokimeki Memorial (or more risque dating sims) from his first person perspective. You'd have to occasionally answer your phone and explain why you can't respond to a HA callout and try to buy more food without getting attacked by monsters.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.
Just re-make Bayonetta with Fubuki. Give her some psychic powers or something. Boom, OPM game.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
Another idea, just don't make any terrible tie-in games.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
A terrible Platinum game is still at least like a 6/10.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

e X posted:

Another idea, just don't make any terrible tie-in games.

Well Platinum has made two tie-in/based on franchise games, and now working on a third.
One, legend of Korra, was lackluster but was a tiny rear end download only game to begin with.
The next, Transformers Demolition, is Metal Gear Rising but WITH SWEET REVVS OFF YOUR ENEMIES FACE. Also everything looks Gen 1 so that's cool too.
Now they're doing TMNT and it has fuckin Bebop and Rocksteady

Onepunch game doesnt make a lot of sense, but if someone really wants to be made I don't see anyone but platinum doing it.

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Feb 9, 2016

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Reinanigans posted:

Punches do no damage, only dodges and poses. But your poses are about 100 times more effective.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
A OPM game would just be another dynasty warriors reskin

Coffee Mugshot
Jun 26, 2010

by Lowtax

The Glumslinger posted:

A OPM game would just be another dynasty warriors reskin

I love dynasty warriors and I hope watchdogman is lu bu

brotato
May 14, 2013

Voted Worst Mom posted:

I love dynasty warriors and I hope watchdogman is lu bu
Yes.

I only want a game where you play as Genos if I can press X to talk an opponent to death.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

TheKingofSprings posted:

King is Undertale Pacifist except things violently die because of unrelated events when you win

I think that's Iji pacifist.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

If you're reading this thread, you probably love ONE's stuff.

You owe it to yourselves to watch the first preview trailer for Mob Psycho 100.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F8g3TuKsQHs

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Josuke Higashikata posted:

They're really nailing the ONE look. Can't wait.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

I'm super happy this exists.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

This looks tremendously stylish.

Sagabal
Apr 24, 2010

Schwarzwald posted:

I think that's Iji pacifist.

its not technically killing people if they're killing themselves

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Schwarzwald posted:

This looks tremendously stylish.

This is pretty much what I wanted to say; I wasn't going to use "tremendously" but "stylish" is exactly the word I was going to use. That looks really good.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

Alejandro Sanchez posted:

its not technically killing people if they're killing themselves

Look, i'm just repelling this rocket away from me, it's not my fault if it hits you back! I'm strictly against violence here

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy

HenryEx posted:

Look, i'm just repelling this rocket away from me, it's not my fault if it hits you back! I'm strictly against violence here

"Look, I just put that mine on the teleporter with PERFECTLY INNOCENT intent, it's not my fault that someone teleported in and got blown up!"

Tobias Grant
May 16, 2009

Lucky for you, I'm a dog lover.

Taciturn Tactician posted:

"Look, I just put that mine on the teleporter with PERFECTLY INNOCENT intent, it's not my fault that someone teleported in and got blown up!"

"Hey, I was just standing next to the guy. It's not my fault he decided to shoot me with a rocket launcher point-blank."

Mr. Unlucky
Nov 1, 2006

by R. Guyovich
OPM is like venture bros in that yes, a game should obviously be made, but it would be so easy to gently caress up and what would it even be to begin with?

if they made OPM some generic brawler by platinum, that's doing the series a huge disservice. so then what? an asuras wrath or telltale style game is better but you may as well be watching the show.

probably the best option starting off for both of them is something that takes place in the world but on a distant level, like you're managing the hero association/guild and have to deal with all these randomly generated funny gimmick hero/villain characters. that's not the most exciting thing gameplay-wise but it's basically guaranteed to work while still being in the spirit of the source material, and it's a good way to get the toe in the water and lead to further games in different styles.

immediately going for the one obvious thing of fighting a bunch of enemies is a good way to ensure you're only ever getting one mediocre game as a way to check a box on a list before moving onto the next. that's currently what platinum is doing going through all those old franchises and lumping some great modern stuff in with that old crap would be a total loving shame.that is what happened with korra, they're never going to make another game for that now that the obvious idea was made in a total no effort fashion and bombed. most modern shows have a bit more substance to them and treating it in the same one and done obvious idea manner like ninja turtles is being pretty wasteful.

Berk Berkly
Apr 9, 2009

by zen death robot
A OPM game couldn't be just one genre, that wouldn't do it justice, it would have to almost be one of these weird modern mashups where one segment for one character is retro Doubledragon side-scroll brawler, while another section is a like a Graphic Novel adventure, then a dance-dance beat game, and another segment would be like a Supermarket Tycoon shopping manager, all tied together with clever comic panel seaways and poo poo.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

A One Punch Man game needs to be a Shenmuelike.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.
You could totally do it as a Platinum game where your combos are actually Saitama dodging or being hit by attacks for no damage to build up a punch meter that instantly kills anything in a cone in front of you.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Maybe replace health with a time mechanic where you have to complete objectives in X amount of time or the mission fails/you don't get neat bonuses? Dodging, then, would be a good idea so that you fill up your punch-gauge faster and don't waste time by being staggered. That would certainly gel with where the actual in-series fights draw their tension from. It'd also make it easy to incorporate non-Saitama characters - they get attacks outside their super gauge and more generous time allowances, but (obviously) can't dish out the screen-clearing hurt nearly as well, can actually take damage, and have to look out for their health-bars.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Darth Walrus posted:

Maybe replace health with a time mechanic where you have to complete objectives in X amount of time or the mission fails/you don't get neat bonuses?

Make it so that you play as some rando pro hero and have to complete objectives in X amount of time or Saitama shows up and oneshots the monster/challenge.

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

you play as saitama playing a video game

BurningDance
Apr 27, 2010

Terror Sweat posted:

you play as saitama playing a video game

King will always read your inputs. You never win.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Um, isn't the obvious answer playing for the three years before Saitama lost his hair and could still be hurt?

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I'm so hype for the 100 Mob Psycho anime it's unseemly

Voted Worst Mom posted:

Yeah let's not spoil anything. I want to see what murata wants to show, but I'm very excited to see his rendition of the actual story as well because I've re-read the next part several times. I think I watched dbz and yuyu hakusho too many times and now martial arts tournaments scream boring filler to me. I'm sure it will be good tho.

Thing is, it's not Murata that's writing the tournament arc, it's still ONE. This is the second draft of the Garou arc that ONE's written because the first draft (ONE's one-man webcomic) was rushed. It was still awesome enough that everyone who's read the ONE version wants to see it drawn by Murata, but it's pretty clear when you read the first webcomic that ONE sort of glossed over the hero hunt to get over to the next bit of the Garou arc. The Garou arc was good enough that even stripped down to its narrative bare essentials it's something that the ONE readers have been looking forward to seeing Murata'd for a long time now, but clearly ONE regrets not fleshing it out a bit more.

When I say "this isn't filler," I mean it. This is a director's cut.

And even some characters that ONE wrote and introduced for the Murata version are being included in the original webcomic as though they've always been there. There's no separation of creative direction between the two manga versions, it's all written by ONE.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

that post i just wrote feels familiar to me,

for some reason

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

T.G. Xarbala posted:

that post i just wrote feels familiar to me,

for some reason

It's a topic that gets brought up a lot in this thread.