Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

BeefThief posted:

I see it as a simple bait and switch scam on a very large scale. People are promised one thing (ships, games, hats, alligator clips, etc) and offered the opportunity to buy it, with delivery expected on a certain date. The date comes and goes, and goes, and goes for basically two years. Meanwhile the organization does not make a good faith effort to try to deliver the product. They also deny refunds based on the delusory argument that the product has, in fact, been delivered.

The fact that, for whatever undeclared reason, the product as described has not been provided, coupled with the lack of transparent, verifiable evidence indicating a good faith effort to redress the legitimate claims of frustrated backers leads me to believe this game is a scam and probably also a money laundering operation for the Swedish mafia.

To me the absolute biggest hurdle to seeing positive results from legal action, at least in the US, is the profound ignorance of our government regarding all things technological - never mind the subtleties of gaming. Can you imagine the average judge, the average jury - even the average attorney - being able to understand the nuances that everyone in this thread takes for granted that help us perceive the difference between a completed game and the poo poo they stuck on the PTU?

"Looks like they said you'd have ships, I see ships on the screen, right? Are those ships? Looks like they're moving around, what's the problem?"
"Well the ships clip through the station, have no mass, and..."
"Look, my paper here shows they sold ships, I see ships on the video screen here, or whatever it's all called, and frankly I think this is a waste of our time here."

That one logistical hurdle alone seems insurmountable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

<3 Sandi <3

Another with less surface blur.

Raskolnikov fucked around with this message at 08:43 on Feb 10, 2016

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Raskolnikov posted:

<3 Sandi <3

Looks like Sandi finally put on some weight.

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

D_Smart posted:

The game looks tons better than a video with myriad of compression artifacts and on minimum visual settings. I'm going to make some movies this week and post them so all can see the difference.

Hey Derek, if you're feeling the pressure from Solar Plebeian, don't my brother. SP will be TBDSCSE (The Best drat Space Comedy Sim Ever), and will be in a 'verse all its own. A 'verse where plebes wear shin-guards on their face and kick the ball into their own goal while their parents scream and groan with shame.

Also, I need a good 'shortened word that's not 'verse. The best I could come up with was 'galax. Halp.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

Toops posted:

Also, I need a good 'shortened word that's not 'verse. The best I could come up with was 'galax. Halp.
'Lax sounds good. "Relax in the 'Lax!"

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

EightAce posted:

Dont know where 10 hours is from ? He has shot far, far more than that and is still shooting bits. Its beyond belief bad. Not 'Ed Wood , its a product of its time and has a certain charm' bad , but really loving bad.
Imagine that you are about 12 and have just watched Starship troopers and you have viewed it in a truly un ironic way. You think the dialogue is bad rear end and the uniforms and one liners are so so cool. You cant imagine in your young mind how anyone could design anything that good, or even how SFX can progress anymore.
Now imagine a group of people give you more money than you can possibly imagine and tell you to go and make your very own Starship troopers. You go and get Luke Skywalker and that lady off the xfiles that makes you feel funny down there and then you get some like minded friends who all think you are great to build some spaceships and stuff. Some people start moaning that this isn't what they have given you money for but you totally ignore them, wait until they see what you have been up to, they will all see, all of them .........

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,
Also, whenever Derek comes 'round I feel like dad just came home after he had a good day at work.

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

frankenfreak posted:

'Lax sounds good. "Relax in the 'Lax!"

Brilliant! It was right there, how did I not see it!

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

Toops posted:

Hey Derek, if you're feeling the pressure from Solar Plebeian, don't my brother. SP will be TBDSCSE (The Best drat Space Comedy Sim Ever), and will be in a 'verse all its own. A 'verse where plebes wear shin-guards on their face and kick the ball into their own goal while their parents scream and groan with shame.

How about 'mos? Carl Sagsn would be proud

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Iglocska posted:

Blizzard always uses "When it's done"(tm). Then again, the whole comparison is just a joke, they're using their own money for the development and have a massive track record of successful games and no real failures (apart from Diablo III, but that's a personal opinion and it still raked in money).
Warcraft Adventures, Starcraft Ghost, and Titan were all very significant failures but, again, it was their own money that they had received from their critically acclaimed game successes.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Ghostlight posted:

Warcraft Adventures, Starcraft Ghost, and Titan were all very significant failures but, again, it was their own money that they had received from their critically acclaimed game successes.

Interestingly, Warcraft Adventures and Titan were closer to a state of completion than Star Citizen is when Blizzard made the call to end them. Even with all that work done, they made hard calls, but most likely the right ones. It wasn't even an issue of the tech, the games just didn't fit in anywhere.

Contrast CIG painting themselves into a corner by taking public money, and then doubling-down on every bad decision they've ever made. They're so hosed.

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

Ghostlight posted:

Blizzard made billions a year. What are a few fuckups?

quote:

Your contribution from 10 February 2016

Bernie Sanders $30.00
Tip to ActBlue: $1.00
Total: $31.00
But that's almost an Aurora :yarg:

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

fuzzknot posted:

It could be worse. At least it's not Star Citizen.

Also, WHY is there not a :parp: smilie?!

:regd08:

The "paarp" thing is getting kinda stale

There are so many other funny things in the 'verse

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Djh6DGFZZ-8&t=931s

The space adventures of Sergent Sicarius and Lieutenant Valten.

Kramjacks
Jul 5, 2007

Idea for a career in SC, stand-up comedian?

"What's the deal with stimpires?"*Seinfeld bass riff*

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues

Toops posted:

Brilliant! It was right there, how did I not see it!

We'll do a show, called it "Redacts the 'Lax"

Yes I'm aware it makes no sense.

Kramjacks posted:

Idea for a career in SC, stand-up comedian?

"What's the deal with stimpires?"*Seinfeld bass riff*

Okay so long as you don't do run-ons cause that breaks my immersion.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

drat Dirty Ape posted:

This is the best controller for SC/E:D imo.

The way I configure it the red button shoots and the stick looks for something to shoot at.

I also use this but with a pretty simple autohotkey script

basically you get the entire ascii table by turning the stick 360/128 degrees clockwise from north, and press the button to confirm input

I get modifiers by shouting at my Kinect

Semisponge
Mar 9, 2006

I FUCKING LOVE BUTTS
Just to set something straight, the careers of the people actually making the game will not suffer. For one, everyone in the industry has suffered through making crappy games under bad management. For two, since the competition for jobs is so fierce pretty much everyone who can get a permanent* position has a reasonable level of competence, so experience ends up being the biggest hiring criterion.

In fact it might even be beneficial to have Star Citizen on your resume, since it shows you're willing to work 80 hour weeks for garbage pay. :v:

*lol

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Scruffpuff posted:

Interestingly, Warcraft Adventures and Titan were closer to a state of completion than Star Citizen is when Blizzard made the call to end them. Even with all that work done, they made hard calls, but most likely the right ones. It wasn't even an issue of the tech, the games just didn't fit in anywhere.

Contrast CIG painting themselves into a corner by taking public money, and then doubling-down on every bad decision they've ever made. They're so hosed.

Worth noting is that Titan basically turned into Overwatch. They did basically scrap the codebase and completely reorganized the team that was doing it, but it's closer to what happened with Diablo 3 in terms of "holy poo poo we need a do-over" than what happened with Ghost.

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

This really needs to be read in the style of Criswell Predicts

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jb6H14gVWjM
"My friends, we are all interested in the Stimpire because that is where you and I will spend the rest of our lives..."

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

EightAce posted:

Dont know where 10 hours is from ? He has shot far, far more than that and is still shooting bits. Its beyond belief bad. Not 'Ed Wood , its a product of its time and has a certain charm' bad , but really loving bad.
Imagine that you are about 12 and have just watched Starship troopers and you have viewed it in a truly un ironic way. You think the dialogue is bad rear end and the uniforms and one liners are so so cool. You cant imagine in your young mind how anyone could design anything that good, or even how SFX can progress anymore.
Now imagine a group of people give you more money than you can possibly imagine and tell you to go and make your very own Starship troopers. You go and get Luke Skywalker and that lady off the xfiles that makes you feel funny down there and then you get some like minded friends who all think you are great to build some spaceships and stuff. Some people start moaning that this isn't what they have given you money for but you totally ignore them, wait until they see what you have been up to, they will all see, all of them .........

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

flyboi posted:

I have no whiskey but I do have ambien to help me sleep so I guess we shall give it a whirl.

Staying awake after taking ambien is a uniquely bad decision

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Iglocska posted:

Blizzard always uses "When it's done"(tm). Then again, the whole comparison is just a joke, they're using their own money for the development and have a massive track record of successful games and no real failures (apart from Diablo III, but that's a personal opinion and it still raked in money).

Just gonna point out that they fixed Diablo 3 and that it's a great game now :colbert:

Geguri Gegogi
Oct 13, 2010

EightAce posted:

C'mon you apes! You wanna live forever?!

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

lol

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm genuinely loving that most of the discussion on the CIG forums is focused on abstract concepts/philosophical ones because there's zero information about the game mechanics and gameplay related to it. Eg. pirating in the game etc.

CIG basically have done zero work, and the backers are making things up in their heads to fill the void.

It's comical.

Ghostlight posted:

To be fair to Blizzard, the took the failure of Titan and turned most/some of that into Overwatch which is really popular and fun.

Not sure what the did with the Warcraft Adventures & Starcraft Ghost assets aside from nods here & there (eg. Nova in SC2 & HOTS).

Mekchu fucked around with this message at 10:20 on Feb 10, 2016

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

Fixing this. Revision 2.0 now with 220% more "The Vision."

I can feel the immersion.

Raskolnikov fucked around with this message at 10:41 on Feb 10, 2016

StarbloodKiss
Feb 3, 2016

Why is the entire cargo hold full with crates of Krogan Krackers?
I like the Wing Commander movie as a B sci-fi flick. Its really not -that- bad. But if you take into consideration thats its supposed to be based off of something, then yeah, it's laughable. But it really isn't terribly bad...I mean, there is definitely worse. Though the Kilrathi looked like complete rear end and so did those marine outfits. :(

Iglocska
Nov 23, 2015

Ghostlight posted:

Not sure about failures. I think Blizzard is just one of the only companies that isn't scared of scrapping prototypes (even late in the development cycle). Nintendo apparently does this regularly.

Also, Titan afaik only semi failed, it was converted into what is Overwatch today.

Iglocska
Nov 23, 2015

Unfunny Poster posted:

I'm genuinely loving that most of the discussion on the CIG forums is focused on abstract concepts/philosophical ones because there's zero information about the game mechanics and gameplay related to it. Eg. pirating in the game etc.

CIG basically have done zero work, and the backers are making things up in their heads to fill the void.

It's comical.

To be fair to Blizzard, the took the failure of Titan and turned most/some of that into Overwatch which is really popular and fun.

Not sure what the did with the Warcraft Adventures & Starcraft Ghost assets aside from nods here & there (eg. Nova in SC2 & HOTS).

Missed this post, indeed! Nova will get her own mini campaign soon too :)

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

Worth noting is that Titan basically turned into Overwatch. They did basically scrap the codebase and completely reorganized the team that was doing it, but it's closer to what happened with Diablo 3 in terms of "holy poo poo we need a do-over" than what happened with Ghost.
The only connection between Titan and Overwatch that I've seen is they were both new IPs and scifi.
Kaplan himself said Overwatch was "built from scratch" using the lessons learned from Titan (basically 'gently caress mmos') and Hearthstone ('we can still do small') - not actually using Titan assets or anything.

Unfunny Poster posted:

Warcraft Adventures became the backstory of World of Warcraft - where Thrall escapes slavery and builds up the orcs/trolls/tauren to form the Horde.

Ghostlight fucked around with this message at 10:41 on Feb 10, 2016

Iglocska
Nov 23, 2015

Ghostlight posted:

The only connection between Titan and Overwatch that I've seen is they were both new IPs and scifi.
Kaplan himself said Overwatch was "built from scratch" using the lessons learned from Titan (basically 'gently caress mmos') and Hearthstone ('we can still do small') - not actually using Titan assets or anything.

Warcraft Adventures became the backstory of World of Warcraft - where Thrall escapes slavery and builds up the orcs/trolls/tauren to form the Horde.

World of Warcraft has story?

dogboy
Jul 21, 2009

hurr
Grimey Drawer

Toops posted:

Plebes usually hang out in the pub.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Iglocska posted:

Diablo 3 is an actual good game now.

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

Truga posted:

Diablo 3 is an actual good game now.
Can confirm.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Ghostlight posted:

I'd love to see Blizzard come entirely out of left field with some kind of "Starcraft Worlds" that has full space, planetary, strategic and FPS combat and just completely mop the floor with CIG. gently caress it, put loading screens everywhere if you have to - it won't even matter. It would get so much fanfare and press coverage SC would be drowned out completely. For people like Chris Roberts, even a "1/10" on Metacritic wouldn't faze him, but being completely forgotten and not even getting reviewed in the first place would. Oh well, it's not to be, but it would be a hell of an announcement.

Scruffpuff fucked around with this message at 10:49 on Feb 10, 2016

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Iglocska posted:

World of Warcraft has story?
It's that poo poo in the textboxes nobody reads, which is why every expansion just has one of the dozen main characters of Warcraft 3 get corrupted for reasons and turn evil.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

So we all know the story of how Chris basically dropped his own Squadron 42 spoilers. Summary here:

Bishop, a very well-known and -liked admiral of the UEE—think of him like Maximus from Gladiator—won a battle [with the enemy Vanduul] at great personal loss; his daughter commanded one of the other ships in the fleet, and she sacrifices herself to save Bishop’s ship. That’s one of the reasons why Bishop is haunted.

You start out in the military earning citizenship, and you get your wish to become a fighter pilot. While you’re training, Admiral Bishop and the [UEE] task force go off into Vanduul space and take the fight to them. As you come out to deploy, the news comes through that they’ve lost contact with the task force. Bishop goes missing, and the rest of the game is you trying to find him.

You go behind enemy lines, trying to find out where Bishop is, and you see things that have happened along the way that gives you [a reaction] like, Has he lost his mind? What’s happening? It’s sort of the Ninth Legion mixed with Heart of Darkness.

So you get behind enemy lines, and you find out there’s a Vanduul plan to shortcut past the Earth’s defenses, and you have to stop it.

At the end of it there’s this big last stand, and you get back to human space. But Bishop is still left, behind the Vanduul side, kind of like Commander Cain on the Pegasus in [classic] Battlestar Galactica. You come back a bit of a war hero, and you muster out, and potentially Bishop’s still out there fighting the battle behind enemy lines.

So in the interest of ruining everything for Chris forever, I will finish spoiling his plot. Read at your own risk; goons ruin everything.

Bishop's daughter is not dead, but was captured by the Vanduul. Bishop is taken aback by this information, and the Vanduul make an offer - her life for his allegiance and knowledge. Having already gone through losing her once, he decides to save his daughter's life, and defects, using the task force as cover. It is Bishop's information that gives the Vanduul the shortcut past Earth's defenses.

The Interloper
Jan 11, 2010

- dig that bunky feat -
Salad Prong

StarbloodKiss posted:

I like the Wing Commander movie as a B sci-fi flick. Its really not -that- bad. But if you take into consideration thats its supposed to be based off of something, then yeah, it's laughable. But it really isn't terribly bad...I mean, there is definitely worse. Though the Kilrathi looked like complete rear end and so did those marine outfits. :(

I seem to recall reading a long time ago, Roberts saying that the Wing Commander movie was what the games were "supposed to be"; basically saying that he'd been limited by the format of the games and the movie was the true interpretation of the characters and universe. Absolutely no idea where I might have read that, unfortunately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

EightAce posted:

More than 10 hours? That is good news for the second pass of the Lesnick Challenge. More time to cram in junk food without rupturing your stomach.

• Locked thread