Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

So as dumb as it was puppymonkeybaby has been stuck in my head today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

Len posted:

So as dumb as it was puppymonkeybaby has been stuck in my head today.

I overheard it 2 times in the middle school where I work. Gonna be a long spring :smith:

Karma Monkey
Sep 6, 2005

I MAKE BAD POSTING DECISIONS

sweeperbravo posted:

I overheard it 2 times in the middle school where I work. Gonna be a long spring :smith:

The 20-year-old at work was chanting it like a mantra all drat day. Was really annoying the poo poo out of a couple of my coworkers. I worry for his safety.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

sweeperbravo posted:

At least that's what I assume the target audience is. The puppy wasn't even an adorable one. It looked like a pug. The most internet and ugly of dogs.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

Karma Monkey posted:

The 20-year-old at work was chanting it like a mantra all drat day. Was really annoying the poo poo out of a couple of my coworkers. I worry for his safety.

At least in my case, one of the boys was saying it so plainly, as if he was already over it. But these kids are still figuratively pissing their pants about the John Cena meme so it might just take a little while to catch on.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

The current derail topic of conversation in the Schadenfreude thread makes me wonder, is there any evidence of telemarketing getting positive results? I know it just pisses me off, and while yes anecdotes!=data etc there are tons of stories of people donating because the cause is nice enough and maybe it'll shut them up only to be put on a list of "suckers" and harassed more.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

AlphaKretin posted:

The current derail topic of conversation in the Schadenfreude thread makes me wonder, is there any evidence of telemarketing getting positive results? I know it just pisses me off, and while yes anecdotes!=data etc there are tons of stories of people donating because the cause is nice enough and maybe it'll shut them up only to be put on a list of "suckers" and harassed more.

I've been victim to stuff like telemarketing and door-to-door salesmen, and work like that thrives on people just being too polite to turn them away. It's just awkward if you say no, and you can feel like a jerk, especially if it's a good cause.

I don't think it's as successful over the phone, because it's far easier to bullshit an excuse to cut them off, but it's certainly still got some pull.

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

wAstIng 10 bUcks ON an aVaTar iS StUpid

Doctor Malaver posted:

Cross-posting from Corporate Complaining thread...

We've been using webex at work for a long time but if we were looking for such software today I believe this ad would have a negative effect.

I don't even know what they're trying to say.

I Am Crake
Mar 31, 2010

There is so much beautiful in the world if you look around. You are only looking at the dirt under your feet, Jimmy. It's not good for you.

AlphaKretin posted:

The worst job I ever had was calling up people for an electricity/gas company. The project I was on was calling customers who had just left to see if we could win them back with a better offer. The amount of times I heard something along the lines of "I was a customer for fifteen years, never once got a better deal when I called you, and now you call me?" was as high as you'd expect, but about once or twice an hour I'd get someone to sign a contract for a year. Considering I was making minimum wage at 20 years old, that must have been really profitable for the company and I was a terrible salesperson. Some of my colleagues got twice to three times as many sales.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Non Serviam posted:

I don't even know what they're trying to say.

"We're disruptive and revolutionary but not in a real way! We just wanna make a lot of money!"

Also, "We're selling yet another integrated web software solution mess and we don't know how to sell it to tech people!"

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Man if your company colors are blue and green the revolution angle just isn't going to work.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

My Lovely Horse posted:

Man if your company colors are blue and green the revolution angle just isn't going to work.

Red color is an absolute must. It usually stands for blood

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Cleretic posted:

I've been victim to stuff like telemarketing and door-to-door salesmen, and work like that thrives on people just being too polite to turn them away. It's just awkward if you say no, and you can feel like a jerk, especially if it's a good cause.

I don't think it's as successful over the phone, because it's far easier to bullshit an excuse to cut them off, but it's certainly still got some pull.

I bought magazines from a hot girl who came to my door. I was 23 and awkward.

I generally buy overpriced popcorn from Boy Scouts, if only because I had to sell Entertainer coupon books door-to-door back when I wore the uniform and I know how much that loving sucks.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
I changed from Comcast to Verizon because door to door salesperson had a better deal. Better than what I was getting over the phone or online from Verizon. It's pretty awesome.

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

:zaurg:

Switchblade Switcharoo

Nitrox posted:

Red color is an absolute must. It usually stands for blood

Communist spotted.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

AgentF posted:

People need to realise that just because we're talking about it doesn't mean that the advertising has "worked". I think the measure of success of the advertising campaign isn't actually the amount of attention it receives, but rather a resultant increase in sales of the product.

This is a super common mistake for advertising professionals to make.

It doesn't help that awards and competitions for ads between agencies revolve around factors like artistry, flash and style, talkability, etc that only pressure agencies and professionals to conform more towards getting attention versus increased sales.

Bast Relief
Feb 21, 2006

by exmarx
Banner ads and imbedded ads in Facebook have worked on me now that I think about it, but only for slightly obscure companies. I got some really cute but practical swim bikinis by following an add for a new yoga wear company. I don't know why department stores can't get their poo poo together to make sexy bathing suits that are simple, actually stay in place when you swim, and are flattering. I have been happy with my lingere purchases from True Co which was recommended by Facebook because a friend liked it. They happen to carry sizes for small fit women that don't look like training bras! Also when I've been looking into certain art techniques a few companies have gotten my patronage for the weirdly specific supplies they have because of the tailored ads that start popping up while I'm searching.

But that poo poo doesn't really work for Amazon or other companies. They're trying to get me to buy stuff I don't know I want yet, and therefore don't really want. The other adds happened to fill a gap of things I wanted but didn't know where to get.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

AgentF posted:

People need to realise that just because we're talking about it doesn't mean that the advertising has "worked". I think the measure of success of the advertising campaign isn't actually the amount of attention it receives, but rather a resultant increase in sales of the product.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ijIq_-8HJo8

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Talking about ads, anyone remember that ad with the people singing the telephone number for a internet company(?) in an office environment?

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

HeadOn.

Radio Help
Mar 22, 2007

ChipChip? 
I haven't had strong opinions about System of a Down for like 13 years now, and yet I was weirdly upset that their song Pogo came up briefly in a Super Bowl ad for The Secret Life of Pets. does that make me a subservient shill for the ad agencies and their sinister machinations? please advise

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Nitrox posted:

I'm not going to sit there and try to change anyone's mind, go buck wild feeling smugly superior to all that ineffective advertising.

But just for a quick moment, if you were to start playing stock market online, what's the first investment firm that comes to mind? Whatever your answer is, etrade is what overwhelming number of people select. On fact, the first and second results for "talking babies ad", and there are hundreds, is in fact etrade. If none of the above applies to you, it has enough of the effect, that you can use it as an example in the conversation years later. That ad was so effective on every level, it's loving bonkers.

I remembered the ad but couldn't think of any investment firms, so it failed pretty impressively on me.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

RBA Starblade posted:

I remembered the ad but couldn't think of any investment firms, so it failed pretty impressively on me.

I actually did not remember the ad but even though I use Sharebuilder, I thought of etrade first. Weird.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Krispy Kareem posted:

I bought magazines from a hot girl who came to my door. I was 23 and awkward.

I generally buy overpriced popcorn from Boy Scouts

Congrats on coming out.

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010

Radio Help posted:

I haven't had strong opinions about System of a Down for like 13 years now, and yet I was weirdly upset that their song Pogo came up briefly in a Super Bowl ad for The Secret Life of Pets. does that make me a subservient shill for the ad agencies and their sinister machinations? please advise

Another brilliant example of a song being chosen for its general sound, ignoring content (unless a song about an orgy is now acceptable to associate with a kids' movie).

PUGGERNAUT
Nov 14, 2013

I AM INCREDIBLY BORING AND SHOULD STOP TALKING ABOUT FOOD IN THE POLITICS THREAD
Honestly the only time I remember a company's ad is when I thought it was stupid or offensive. If anything that makes me less likely to purchase it. Just because it's memorable or gets a lot of attention doesn't mean it works.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

PUGGERNAUT posted:

Honestly the only time I remember a company's ad is when I thought it was stupid or offensive. If anything that makes me less likely to purchase it. Just because it's memorable or gets a lot of attention doesn't mean it works.
Memorable isn't always a goal. This has been the weekly thread reminder that modern brand strategy doesn't rely on conscious recall.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
I'm always amused that an Iggy Pop song advertises cruise ships.

I guess it's alright. Iggy knows how to have a good time.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

zedprime posted:

Memorable isn't always a goal. This has been the weekly thread reminder that modern brand strategy doesn't rely on conscious recall.
But man, it totally doesn't work on me! I can tell because

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Krispy Kareem posted:

I'm always amused that an Iggy Pop song advertises cruise ships.

I guess it's alright. Iggy knows how to have a good time.

Hey, if I can't shoot heroin into my eyeballs in international waters, where do you suggest I do it??

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

Tired Moritz posted:

Talking about ads, anyone remember that ad with the people singing the telephone number for a internet company(?) in an office environment?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HWc3WY3fuZU
This? :v:

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

Nitrox posted:

But man, it totally doesn't work on me! I can tell because

Because I'm aware of the influence that ads have on decision making and consciously attempt to counteract it? You're the one who posted a discredited 20 year old study about subliminal ads, dude.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Somfin posted:

Because I'm aware of the influence that ads have on decision making and consciously attempt to counteract it? You're the one who posted a discredited 20 year old study about subliminal ads, dude.

i'm gonna lock the two of you in a room so you can shout at each other "ADVERTISING TOTALLY WORKS!!!" "NUH UH!!!" at each other forever

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Alaois posted:

i'm gonna lock the two of you in a room so you can shout at each other "ADVERTISING TOTALLY WORKS!!!" "NUH UH!!!" at each other forever
With the purplebabymonkey in there singing and dancing.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Somfin posted:

At least I cite my sources.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Nitrox posted:

At least I cite my sources.

Are they really sources if they're discredited?

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own

dirksteadfast posted:

Another brilliant example of a song being chosen for its general sound, ignoring content (unless a song about an orgy is now acceptable to associate with a kids' movie).

I always thought that song was about heroin use.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

Screaming Idiot posted:

Are they really sources if they're discredited?

Yes.

They're very illustrative sources.

They illustrate someone whispering "gently caress I hope no-one calls me on these" before posting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Somfin posted:

Yes.

They're very illustrative sources.

They illustrate someone whispering "gently caress I hope no-one calls me on these" before posting.

That's a little harsh, I think. It's entirely possible he simply didn't read them.