Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text
@Jusupov said:
» show previous quotes
Does this mean 100% xp for the entire duration of cosmic chaos?

asros: Yes!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gibbering Madness
Nov 7, 2009

69 69 69 68
Just add a 10 dollar IAP to remove spirit from a character. Bam, spirit problem solved and Mr Gaz's budget deficit will no longer resemble Greece. Rehire Amthua and bring back this dead game.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

punchymcpunch posted:

Disagree. If you want spirit to be a consideration, it should function like Juggernaut's, where the absence of it decreases your DPS but you can still use the skills on your hotbar and also dash or whatever. Characters that run out of spirit because you dared to not have 7500 omegas or a zola and also a costume core and also a zig because if you dash you'll run dry are not fine.
Not being able to use your high powered skills is a decrease of your dps, and the rest of your post doesn't actually disagree with the main thrust of mine which is that spirit sucks precisely because it's not a central part of Gaz designing a character unless that character uses a spirit replacement.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

*drops the mic*

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

McSpanky posted:

*drops the mic*

Why would you flagellate yourself like this? What is gained by your suffering?

punchymcpunch
Oct 14, 2012

Ghostlight posted:

Not being able to use your high powered skills is a decrease of your dps, and the rest of your post doesn't actually disagree with the main thrust of mine which is that spirit sucks precisely because it's not a central part of Gaz designing a character unless that character uses a spirit replacement.

I guess I half-disagree, then. I'm fine with spirit as a path to more dps, I'm not keen on basics as an inherently second-class set of skills, and I'm strongly opposed to spirit being tied to QOL skills like dashes and sprints and teleports. When a character's dash costs spirit, it's rough on anyone who can't equip a zig. Prestigers can suck it up, but I still remember how horrible it was being a new player dashing and running dry as Hawkeye and having to waddle around terminals waiting for the orb to refill.

Juggy's spent spirit for more dps seems like the perfect compromise, and it's what made him a fantastic newbie character when he came out. You can dash as much as you want, you had a free sprint, you have spammable AOEs, your DPS scales with your gear, what's not to like?

It's now 2016 and some characters still don't have free sprints, and in some cases they don't even have free travel powers (and in some cases they don't have travel powers at all).

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Basics are second class because they are specifically designed to do less damage - because they should be what you do while managing your spirit - except in the meta we have they are outright worse abilities because you just gear past managing spirit as the first option. They're balanced to be the bread and butter, and you should be pressing spirit buttons to do the big hits when you wanted to - spenders should be exactly that, you shouldn't be able to gear into not pressing basics with a character designed around managing spirit.. If you can, just remove spirit because it's not doing its design job. But because there's no design document dictating this poo poo when Gaz actually designs a character like this they are horrible to play because the spirit scaling means they have to be massively shithouse to start with, or because they don't give them enough cool spirit buttons to keep pushing and instead shove everything on cooldowns or make a specific damage rotation which is great when you're working for Blizzard on WoW raid balance but loving bullshit in a game whose whole selling point is putting 17 points into every cool ability and pushing them all.

Yeah, dashing costing spirit is bullshit and is primarily an issue with a) how slow travel powers are so spamming dash is faster unless you have poo poo spirit b) somehow pressing the "free" button on all travel powers has taken Gaz more than six loving months, and even after they said everyone was getting one they kept releasing characters with travel powers that cost spirit because ??? Having Red Prestiged Colossus, not having a travel power sucks hard, especially when your dash is expensive, doesn't increase your movement speed, and you have poo poo spirit. M'Kraan barely helped. Everyone should have a travel power and everyone who doesn't have a teleport in that slot should get a reposition power that is spirit free - travel should be noticeably faster over anything more than a screen, reposition could have minor character bonuses such as the existing +movement/+dodge/-damage% etc on roll/flips or additional range, as suits the character flavour. Put poo poo like Ghost Rider's flames and Witch's chaos farts on a point toggle that makes it cost spirit while on so you can switch between utility/damage and travel.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Spirit/Mana, i.e. a monolithic resource pool that drains slowly over the duration of a fight, is and always has been a terrible design choice. You either have so much that it's completely irrelevant, or so little that it inhibits your enjoyment of the game. It's kind of staggering how many games, this one included, fall back on it when the mechanics that limit ability usage and dictate rotations are such a huge part of what makes the game engaging, or not as the case may be. I mean, there's a reason why almost all of the characters in D3 (Witch Dr. is the one exception, yeah?) use resources that either regenerate rapidly or recover from the player's action like attacking enemies or using basics. It's critical to your basic gameplay loop and if managing it isn't fun, what the hell is it even doing there?

And adding prohibitive costs to quality of life stuff like travel powers is just a whole other level of comedy. Who even looks at stuff like that on paper and thinks it's a good idea?

Skippy McPants fucked around with this message at 12:34 on Feb 10, 2016

madstrike
Jun 10, 2013

Been leveling a few characters to 60:

Blade - actualy pretty smooth to level, even more when you get that power that make 'thirst' better/quicker or whatever. Nice sig.
IronFist - ugh ... get's better when you get the Serpent AOE skill in the 3rd three but not that good. At least his sig does nice damage.
SheHulk - surprisingly, the easiest to level so far. Lots of AOE and the sig is nice too.
BlackCat - leveling this right now...wtf, so bad. This is Hawkeye/Taskmaster level bad. Hits like a wet noodle and goes out of spirit so fast. poo poo sig. Only 17 more levels to go, ugh :(

Vax
Dec 29, 2011

delicious!
After my 3 months hiatus playing other games like D3 season (yeah, I know) I'm officially returning to chill with the Groot Force!

Having only Waifu on 60 so far and since I seem to recall the best thing to do is level 5 chars to 60 first to get the boni straight, is this still correct? If so which would be my optimal next 4 chars to unlock and get to 60 asap?

HAIL YELLOWMAN!

punchymcpunch
Oct 14, 2012

Optimal:
Cyclops for the 10% XP synergy
Scarlet Witch cos she's only 200 splinters
The next two depend on how many splinters you have. If you only have 400, grab two randoms if you're not scared of getting unlucky and doubling up. If you are, get two 200 splinter persons of your choice.
If you can afford two 400s, maybe get two of Cable/Jean/Magik/Surfer.
If you can afford one or more 600s, maybe get Deadpool but probably randoming is better value at this stage.

Of course, if you have a favourite character, get them if you can afford them.

Vax
Dec 29, 2011

delicious!
Yeah by Waifu I mean SW, obviously! I also have IM unlocked and leveled to 30ish I think. But I will go for Cyclops first then.

Cheers

Vax
Dec 29, 2011

delicious!

punchymcpunch posted:

If you can afford one or more 600s, maybe get Deadpool but probably randoming is better value at this stage.

Wait, Deadpool is finally playable!? One of my favorite characters!

punchymcpunch
Oct 14, 2012

Yep, his review finally actually happened. He's spirit-free so you can just zip around blowing things up without a care in the world.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

madstrike posted:

BlackCat - leveling this right now...wtf, so bad. This is Hawkeye/Taskmaster level bad. Hits like a wet noodle and goes out of spirit so fast. poo poo sig. Only 17 more levels to go, ugh :(

All Kitty Shayme's spirit issues should resolve themselves at 42, so I don't know what you're doing. Until 42 she's crap though, I agree.

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Ghostlight posted:

Basics are second class because they are specifically designed to do less damage - because they should be what you do while managing your spirit - except in the meta we have they are outright worse abilities because you just gear past managing spirit as the first option. They're balanced to be the bread and butter, and you should be pressing spirit buttons to do the big hits when you wanted to - spenders should be exactly that, you shouldn't be able to gear into not pressing basics with a character designed around managing spirit.. If you can, just remove spirit because it's not doing its design job.
This is the part of this sequence of posts I agree with, because it's not doing its design job, and definitely never will. If a character is in:

quote:

1. Spirit is not an issue. This is everyone who has an alternate resource, or just those who have the toolset to be almost entirely spirit neutral.
Then Spirit isn't doing its job by your definition.
If a character is in:

quote:

2. Spirit use is an issue you need to gear for. In the current meta this is basically everyone that even with a core wants M'Kraan to be spirit neutral.
Spirit is only doing its job until you have gear, and then it's worthless. It's straight up a "You must grind this much to play the character in the fun way" gate and while yes, a loot game like this looooves those, it's piss and rear end from a design perspective.
And then these:

quote:

3. Spirit is a consideration in the skills you use. This is everyone that actually needs to worry about using a basic or moderating their other skills because otherwise they will run dry core/M'kraan regardless.
Suck to play. If they were done well, they'd be in category 1 (at least, the toolset part).

Cooldowns are already enough of a gate on power use, and, in a game without cooldown reduction outside of edge case abilities (like Reload), is actually a better way of balancing because you don't need to worry about how itemization fucks with your vision of the character's intended playstyle. Delete Spirit 2016

Lux Aeterna
Feb 19, 2005

gaz character design really doesn't understand that time = cost and that cost is usually more substantial than anything else.

attack speed, animation times, and cooldowns are all just poorly calculated on their side of things (if calculated at all) and it leads specifically to attack speed and power duration always having characters exceed their tunings. I really don't think they understand that .8+ second cast times really adversely affect damage output and character animation times range from .2 to 1 second without any consistency.

some characters having 3 limiters as a resource (spirit/time/secondary) has led to some of the worst playable characters. IW and Psylocke 1.0 are both great examples.

HandsomeBen
Nov 23, 2006

There is no greater calling than to serve your fellow men. There is no greater contribution than to help the weak. There is no greater satisfaction than to have done it well
Asros stepped into the Craftable Axis Uniques thread on the TC forum and got dogpiled hard. So hard that Fenixion had to step in and close it. Ryolnir has taken his turn in the new thread but it's not going well. It has all been very amusing.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Lux Aeterna posted:

gaz character design really doesn't understand that time = cost and that cost is usually more substantial than anything else.

attack speed, animation times, and cooldowns are all just poorly calculated on their side of things (if calculated at all) and it leads specifically to attack speed and power duration always having characters exceed their tunings. I really don't think they understand that .8+ second cast times really adversely affect damage output and character animation times range from .2 to 1 second without any consistency.

some characters having 3 limiters as a resource (spirit/time/secondary) has led to some of the worst playable characters. IW and Psylocke 1.0 are both great examples.

see also: mangeto

HandsomeBen
Nov 23, 2006

There is no greater calling than to serve your fellow men. There is no greater contribution than to help the weak. There is no greater satisfaction than to have done it well

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Yes which is sad because his voice acting is so loving great. This year all I want are cable-tier reworks for Nightcrawler, Magneto and Colossus.

punchymcpunch
Oct 14, 2012

HandsomeBen posted:

Asros stepped into the Craftable Axis Uniques thread on the TC forum and got dogpiled hard. So hard that Fenixion had to step in and close it. Ryolnir has taken his turn in the new thread but it's not going well. It has all been very amusing.

Haha ryolnir actually said that it's not happening any time soon because it's too hard to put items that are already in the game on a vendor.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

punchymcpunch posted:

Haha ryolnir actually said that it's not happening any time soon because it's too hard to put items that are already in the game on a vendor.

That would be a good quote to engrave on this game's tombstone.

punchymcpunch
Oct 14, 2012

ryolnir posted:

A lot of the design team's responsibilities lies on helping to ship features that other teams work on, so it's not always possible to take days out of their schedule to change projects

Confirmed design team is pulling switchflipper duty :hotdog: :hotdog:

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

He's a perfect storm of pointless secondary resource minigame and prohibitive Spirit costs to start and weird animation locks for like half his powers and it's so, so sad. Like I ALMOST understand why they didn't just give him Debris as a sole "0 to start, generated by some stuff, spent by some stuff" Momentum-like (because he just came after Juggernaut and Venom and they probably thought 2 characters in a row without Spirit would displease the boring gameplay gods), but. Ugh.

Also his ult was perfected in a lab that was trying to make the most annoying thing to use in Midtown I swear to god

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

punchymcpunch posted:

I don't even... I can't... why? Like, I don't know jack-poo poo about coding or the back end of game design, but how can this even be a thing?

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms

Skippy McPants posted:

I don't even... I can't... why? Like, I don't know jack-poo poo about coding or the back end of game design, but how can this even be a thing?

Because they don't, either.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Buglord
Look you can either have craftable uniques OR easier costume affix crafting OR old hero review tuning OR new hero review tuning OR weekly events OR not have the game cause your computer to explode killing you instantly. Those are all the same guy. His name is Intern Jeremy and he is stretched very thin.

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Saint Freak posted:

Look you can either have craftable uniques OR easier costume affix crafting OR old hero review tuning OR new hero review tuning OR weekly events OR not have the game cause your computer to explode killing you instantly. Those are all the same guy. His name is Intern Jeremy and he is stretched very thin.
This is WoW talking about "we could do ____ but it would cost a raid tier" but in a game where we don't have raid tiers (anymore).

HandsomeBen
Nov 23, 2006

Skippy McPants posted:

Even giving them the benefit of the doubt in this situation and saying it's not as easy as it looks, they've still had almost a year to get this poo poo out of the door. There's just no excuse at this point.

Lux Aeterna
Feb 19, 2005

Considering the % population of the game that raids in the first place I wouldn't give a poo poo either about adding uniques to the vendor either.

They're going to tie them out to the top tier commendations you can only get from red axis and provide no other path to those items even though cosmic danger room and high level xfef and holosim are arguably harder.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Buglord
They need to just issue a statement that they are going to let raids atrophy and die off. You will never have a 69 medallion you shitlords.

It took us 18 months to code the commendation cap, we thought it would take people 18 months to reach it!

Saint Freak fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Feb 10, 2016

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

HandsomeBen posted:

Fenixion constantly having to ride in on a white steed to protect fair Asros from wholly deserved criticism never gets old

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
I think we have another corey alt in the mix too

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

I'm guessing the answer is "lol no :gaz:" but didn't one of the devs say that cosmic danger room scenarios were supposed to be dropping cosmic insignias from the rewards chests? Has anything happened there?

Also, they should make any bosses who appear in CDR scenarios auto-drop cosmic medallions imo

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Mover posted:

I'm guessing the answer is "lol no :gaz:" but didn't one of the devs say that cosmic danger room scenarios were supposed to be dropping cosmic insignias from the rewards chests?
yes, it was Asros

Mover posted:

Has anything happened there?
lol no :gaz:

HandsomeBen
Nov 23, 2006

He's too busy trying to decide if axis uniques should cost 625 or 624 protector commendations.

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

HandsomeBen posted:

He's too busy trying to decide if axis uniques should cost 625 or 624 protector commendations.
In a stunning turn of events, they'll cost 624, but also 1 Fighting.

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

I've been rereading the Earth-X miniseries and I really want Iceman's next costume to be chubby, balding accountant Bobby Drake:

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Buglord
Like a gay guy would ever be caught dead in that outfit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FranktheBank
May 14, 2007
In the beginning...the universe was created. his has been widely regarded as a bad move and has made a lot of people very angry.

Skippy McPants posted:

Why would you flagellate yourself like this? What is gained by your suffering?

Someone has been playing Darkest Dungeon.

• Locked thread