Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Cloks posted:

Arlong was pretty cool, for me he was the first villain that I thought could legitimately stand up to Luffy.

I have a soft spot for Pearl because he was one of the goofiest characters in the East Blue saga. Wonder if we'll ever see him again...

I kind of like Krieg because he actually did legitimately stand up to Luffy. Actually, since Luffy fell into the water at the end of their fight and Krieg recovered consciousness shortly afterwards, you can argue that it was a win for Krieg.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

Silver2195 posted:

I kind of like Krieg because he actually did legitimately stand up to Luffy. Actually, since Luffy fell into the water at the end of their fight and Krieg recovered consciousness shortly afterwards, you can argue that it was a win for Krieg.

Yeah my vote goes to Krieg as well. The battle on the ruined ship is actually one of the coolest settings in One Piece for me, especially when he starts whipping out that spear and blowing up parts of it. It gives alot of tension to the fight in that Krieg can do whatever he wants because if he loses his footing it's no big deal, but Luffy was trying to control the swing directions because if he hits the water the fight is over and he has to do this while also attempting to land substantial hits.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
The pirate rap owns

dazoner
May 17, 2006

White People!
Usopp building the climatact is a brilliant piece of in universe engineering. It's almost a shame Franky has taken over as the "weapons guy."

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Open up your Dethday present
It's a box of fucking nothing

Exciting Lemon

Asuron posted:

Yeah my vote goes to Krieg as well. The battle on the ruined ship is actually one of the coolest settings in One Piece for me, especially when he starts whipping out that spear and blowing up parts of it. It gives alot of tension to the fight in that Krieg can do whatever he wants because if he loses his footing it's no big deal, but Luffy was trying to control the swing directions because if he hits the water the fight is over and he has to do this while also attempting to land substantial hits.

It also has the part where Luffy punches through the spiked cape, hits the spear that explodes when it hits things and says "now it's just a bomb on a stick", as if that wasn't scary in any way.

Buggy is my favorite in the Swedish version, though, since his dialogue is so well translated. Not in the English since Flashy is a stupid word to use all the time.

Edit: I think that's also one of the reasons I like Sanji so much, since his speech is so good in the Swedish version and that's where I first read him. I need to buy all the translated swedish One Piece.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Chopper's doctoring

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Man with Hat posted:

It also has the part where Luffy punches through the spiked cape,

This was a loving amazing scene

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
I also love how Krieg's fleet came back all mangled from trying to get into the Grand Line and being stomped on by Mihawk, one of the strongest Shichibukai. It really set up how dangerous feeling the Grand Line and especially the Shichibukai were relative to East Blue, which also made Luffy challenging and surpassing Crocodile that much more impossible feeling at the time.

There's kind of a distinctly different feeling to early One Piece I miss in contemporary One Piece. It's kind of like the difference between Dragon Ball and Dragon Ball Z with the combat (ie martial arts versus pew pew power levels and dust clouds) and sense of adventure despite technically being the same series.

Before the Gears and Timeskip, Luffy had to get by a lot more by the skin of his teeth and determination or lucky breaks (ie being rubber vs Enel) to go further along, which made everything seem so desperate and risky versus outright demolishing opponents.

I think Marineford was another watershed moment because, despite everything Luffy had accomplished by then and insane feats he pulled off just to get there, he was still a small fry even then in the larger context of the top brass of the Marines and the pirates/Yonkou of the New World.

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 09:54 on Feb 10, 2016

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

I also love how Krieg's fleet came back all mangled from trying to get into the Grand Line and being stomped on by Mihawk, one of the strongest Shichibukai. It really set up how dangerous feeling the Grand Line and especially the Shichibukai were relative to East Blue, which also made Luffy challenging and surpassing Crocodile that much more impossible feeling at the time.

There's kind of a distinctly different feeling to early One Piece I miss in contemporary One Piece. It's kind of like the difference between Dragon Ball and Dragon Ball Z with the combat (ie martial arts versus pew pew power levels and dust clouds) and sense of adventure despite technically being the same series.

Before the Gears and Timeskip, Luffy had to get by a lot more by the skin of his teeth and determination or lucky breaks (ie being rubber vs Enel) to go further along, which made everything seem so desperate and risky versus outright demolishing opponents.

yeah but keeping that up the whole way would feel really forced. eventually luffy has to step into his own and bethe pirate king

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

All this Don Kreig talk makes me wonder if we'll ever see Gin again, despite being set for death with his poisoning

Advice
Feb 17, 2007

Je veux ton amour
Et je veux ton revanche
Je veux ton amour
I don't wanna be friends
Is that what was implied? Here I was, thinking Gin was one of the few forgotten people in the series. I was expecting some crazy reunion with Sanji.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

At the time I figured he was just gonna die offscreen, but knowing now that Oda can't seem to keep any old villains dead, I expect him to show up in this next arc somehow. Yknow, since it's about Sanji and all.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Spoilers are up for 816, just FYI.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

dazoner posted:

Usopp building the climatact is a brilliant piece of in universe engineering. It's almost a shame Franky has taken over as the "weapons guy."

He still makes his own things and he has a garden and workshop on the Sunny.

Its just that Frankie makes weapons on a much larger and elaborate scale and this is a shonen manga soooooo.

Froggycleric
May 11, 2013

Don't sully his love with imagined reasons.

http://kissmanga.com/Manga/One-Piece/One-Piece-816--Dog-vs-Cat?id=263930

http://readms.com/r/one_piece/816/3223/1

No chapter next week

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Holy poo poo, it's only taken like five chapters for the minks to be some of my favourite One Piece characters-of-the-arc

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
...Holy poo poo, this arc really will be ending fast.

Did anybody expect that?

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

If I were human, I believe my response would be: 'go to hell'.

Some good stuff right here.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Minkmen: total bros.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Holy poo poo. I genuinely did not expect that. :eyepop:

Whatever it is Raizou or his ancestors did before to be friends, the entire Minkmen civilization would have let themselves get genocided and lose life and limb rather than rat him out to Jack and Kaidou's men.

Basically paragons of being nakama. I genuinely believed that they would still freak out and try to kill the Straw Hats and samurai.

I guess it's my fault for doubting the Minkmen's loyalty, you trickster Oda! I basically had the same reaction Zoro did. :stare:

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Open up your Dethday present
It's a box of fucking nothing

Exciting Lemon

TheKingofSprings posted:

...Holy poo poo, this arc really will be ending fast.

Did anybody expect that?

Can't say I'm surprised, to be honest. I was expecting him to be on Zou but hidden away so that the Minks didn't know about it or at least so that only the leader people knew about it. Everyone knowing about it and keeping quiet is a bit too big to seem real, to be honest, but it's a comic so whatever

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Oh, it's on. Straw Hats, Heart Pirates, samurai and minks, all on a collision course with at least one emperor, if not two if they help get Sanji back.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Man with Hat posted:

Can't say I'm surprised, to be honest. I was expecting him to be on Zou but hidden away so that the Minks didn't know about it or at least so that only the leader people knew about it. Everyone knowing about it and keeping quiet is a bit too big to seem real, to be honest, but it's a comic so whatever

Plus, they're not human, so superhuman loyalty can be even more plausible as a thing.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Not chapter related, but...

:laffo:

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Holy poo poo, great chapter. Excellent spot for a break, too.

Also, :lol: at Momonosuke glancing down at Nami's chest behind the speech balloon

Edit:

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

Not chapter related, but...

:laffo:

I appreciate how Law-Joy is not really doing anything.

DizzyBum fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Feb 10, 2016

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Raizou is gonna be a thunder ninja elephant

Kild fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Feb 10, 2016

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
A ninja who ate the Whale-Whale fruit, he was disguised as the whale tree all along!

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Minkmen arc is pretty cool so far. :smugdog:

Wana owes these guys big time.

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Oh drat, I really love this arc so far. I feel like the parts with nothing but story, worldbuilding, setup and silly characters are by far my favorite, MUCH more than the prolonged fights! (Never thought I'd find those tiresome and boring, but here we are.)

Minkmen best bros

Angry Lobster posted:

A ninja who ate the Whale-Whale fruit, he was disguised as the whale tree all along!

A whale ninja would be hilarious, I say bring it on

AshB
Sep 16, 2007
I wish Nekomushi could be a Straw Hat. He'd be perfect.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I had a feeling that was going to happen ever since the arc began but man was it super loving satisfyingly pulled off

AshB posted:

I wish Nekomushi could be a Straw Hat. He'd be perfect.

gently caress that, I want the dog dude on the crew

I'll fight you!

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
This arc is basically the inverse of Dressrosa in terms of length, pacing, etc. It's a lot more succinct despite having quite a few moving parts still.

It's pretty great! :iia: I think Zou is basically here story-wise to set the stage for everything going on with Kaidou and Big Mom, kind of like how Jaya set the stage for Skypeia or Water 7 with Enies Lobby.

I'll bet that Sanji and possibly Luffy go to deal with Big Mom while the rest of the Straw Hats and Law/Heart Pirates and the samurai head to Wano to confront Kaidou there. I'm just assuming Wano is the seat of the Yonkou given Kine'mon's/Momo's flashback to seeing Kanjuuro and being persecuted by Kaidou's men.

If Luffy isn't with them, then Zoro will likely take the place of acting Vice-Captain due to his position as First Mate to lead the Straw Hats temporarily, which makes sense given Wano is a samurai-laden country.

E: I like how Oda pulled off the cats and dogs fighting each other cartoon trope without drawing attention to that fact. :haw:

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Feb 10, 2016

bondster
May 6, 2007

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

E: I like how Oda pulled off the cats and dogs fighting each other cartoon trope without drawing attention to that fact. :haw:

Really? He did name the chapter Dog vs. Cat after all :v:

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

bondster posted:

Really? He did name the chapter Dog vs. Cat after all :v:

Okay, well, up until this point, then. :colbert: :catbert:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
what are the official english names for the dog and cat guy

if it's not Cat King and Doglord they have hosed up

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Captain Invictus posted:

what are the official english names for the dog and cat guy

if it's not Cat King and Doglord they have hosed up

Catbearmamooshy and Eenuraashi.

For the official English scanlations, anyways.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

Catbearmamooshy and Eenuraashi.

For the official English scanlations, anyways.

That is incredibly bad

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

AnonSpore posted:

That is incredibly bad

It's a play on Tanjiahado Lolufamingo and Bisoromi Bear. :ssh:

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
Hahaha. Of course they knew about Raizo the whole time. One Piece is great you guys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

F. Lobot
Jul 6, 2010