Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I was just watching a syndicated episode of The Simpsons and it made me wonder, does anybody still do clip shows?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SmokinDan
Oct 24, 2010
My god, Crazy Ex Girlfriend has gone from strength to strength in the past few episodes.

Manos del Sino
Apr 12, 2004

Original Pony
Soiled Meat

SmokinDan posted:

My god, Crazy Ex Girlfriend has gone from strength to strength in the past few episodes.

My favorite parts of the latest episodes have been those NOT involving the main character. Her coworkers, White Josh, the neighbor chick... the ensemble is keeping me interested while I cringe over all the main Crazy Ex stuff.

Not that the main course of the show is bad, it's just so awkward that it needs the balance the rest of it is bringing.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Does every medical show need an episode where a brave and noble doctor defies the wishes of someone suffering fights for what's right despite the 'law' and 'moral obligations of his post' and ignores a DNR? Chicago Med is good but last week it had an episode about the evil CPS eagerly stealing a poor man's child and now this one where the moral seems to be 'no gently caress this lady and her DNR I know best'.

Manos del Sino
Apr 12, 2004

Original Pony
Soiled Meat

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Does every medical show need an episode where... the evil CPS eagerly stealing a poor man's child and now this one where the moral seems to be 'no gently caress this lady and her DNR I know best'.

The latter one is a staple of doctor dramas, for sure.

Also, an obvious victim of domestic violence must be convinced to seek help/press chargers against their attacker.

Also also, a child whose frequent illnesses and injuries are the result of Munchhausen's by proxy.

And then, the tired cancer patient who would rather just live out her last days in grace, but doctors/friends/family must convince her to resume chemo.

Of course there's the one with the doctor/intern who keeps such strenuous hours that he's resorted to raiding the pharmacy for a pick-him-up.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Manos del Sino posted:

The latter one is a staple of doctor dramas, for sure.

Also, an obvious victim of domestic violence must be convinced to seek help/press chargers against their attacker.

Also also, a child whose frequent illnesses and injuries are the result of Munchhausen's by proxy.

And then, the tired cancer patient who would rather just live out her last days in grace, but doctors/friends/family must convince her to resume chemo.

Of course there's the one with the doctor/intern who keeps such strenuous hours that he's resorted to raiding the pharmacy for a pick-him-up.

Yea they tried to switch up the second one in the CPS episode. See it LOOKED like Munchhausen's but in reality SHE was faking it because he mom died and her dad kept wallowing in grief so the only way the daughter could get attention is by faking her OWN chronic illness!

But of course the dastardly CPS couldn't accept 'no the kid's a little liar' and still took her away, but the noble doctors were v. mad and helpless at how bad the CPS is. Also the VA is bad too, but a brave ex military doctor yelled at a random VA doctor to teach them what's for.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Party Plane Jones posted:

You're talking about the Showcase Syfy shows, all of which premiered on Showcase because they were Canadian productions. Syfy just had US broadcast rights.

Off the top of my head the ones affected were Continuum and Lost Girl.

As I recall, the first season of Battlestar Galactica aired in the UK like three or four months before it did in the US due to a financing arrangement, too.

side_burned
Nov 3, 2004

My mother is a fish.
Well my sister just posted a trailer for a new Full House series. After twenty years of hearing Bob Sagat say some of the raunchest things in human history I do not how I feel about him playing Danny Tanner again.

side_burned fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Feb 10, 2016

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

32MB OF ESRAM posted:

I really liked it, but it sort of switches gear halfway through the season.

Does the "but" mean the gear switch is a bad thing?

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Timby posted:

As I recall, the first season of Battlestar Galactica aired in the UK like three or four months before it did in the US due to a financing arrangement, too.

BSG aired earlier in the UK and SG-1/Atlantis at various times aired earlier in Canada and people pirated the absolute poo poo out of them all. It was a total ratings bloodbath for Siffy in the US, yet nobody really learned anything from it because it just kept happening year after year. As I recall, Ron D Moore tried begging US fans to at least watch the late as gently caress airings of BSG.

It took until very recently for the BBC to realize that airing Dr. Who way later in the US was hitting their ratings. But they still air it hours later for some dumbassed reason, so it still gets pirated.

IRQ fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Feb 10, 2016

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

side_burned posted:

Well my sister just posted a trailer for a new Full House series. After twenty years of hearing Bob Sagat say some of the raunchest things in human history I do not how I feel about him playing Danny Tanner again.

He was that raunchy before full house, too.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

side_burned posted:

It looks loving atrocious, as expected:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CXuGLswn2l0

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

I can feel all my nostalgia for that show shrivel up and die.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

McSpanky posted:

I hope the new Trek series is exactly Hannibal in Space, except Hannibal is Khan and instead of eating people he monologues about vengeance against Kirk.

I would watch this, the only trek i like is the new movies.

Throw your stones people, you can do me no harm.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back

Rocksicles posted:

....even Into Darkness?

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

whowhatwhere posted:

....even Into Darkness!

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
I may be a big old sap, but the first shot of Supergirl (Melissa Benoist) on The Flash this week gave me goosebumps. Brings back happy memories of similar awesome crossovers like those on Buffy and Angel.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It was always atrocious.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

holy poo poo

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Manos del Sino posted:

My favorite parts of the latest episodes have been those NOT involving the main character. Her coworkers, White Josh, the neighbor chick... the ensemble is keeping me interested while I cringe over all the main Crazy Ex stuff.

Not that the main course of the show is bad, it's just so awkward that it needs the balance the rest of it is bringing.

Sounds alot like Felicity. If you're really not into musicals, is this a show worth getting into? Just finished Casual (what happened at the end there anyway) and looking for some modern romance comedy poo poo.

EDIT:

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Does every medical show need an episode where a brave and noble doctor defies the wishes of someone suffering fights for what's right despite the 'law' and 'moral obligations of his post' and ignores a DNR? Chicago Med is good but last week it had an episode about the evil CPS eagerly stealing a poor man's child and now this one where the moral seems to be 'no gently caress this lady and her DNR I know best'.

poo poo like this is actively making it harder to get kids out of insanely abusive situations.

Shageletic fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Feb 10, 2016

Manos del Sino
Apr 12, 2004

Original Pony
Soiled Meat

Shageletic posted:

Sounds alot like Felicity. If you're really not into musicals, is this a show worth getting into? Just finished Casual (what happened at the end there anyway) and looking for some modern romance comedy poo poo.

Yeah, I'd say Crazy Ex GF is worth checking out if it's a rom-com you're looking for. After the first couple episodes, the musical numbers have dwindled to just being two or three spots per episode, and they aren't bad or overwhelming.

This isn't one of my favorite shows of the season, but it's decent enough.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Bruceski posted:

I can feel all my nostalgia for that show shrivel up and die.

If you have nostalgia for Full House, you haven't seen it recently enough.

It looks like total poo poo but I can appreciate that much like in real life, the character played by the Olsen Twins is far too successful to have to move back home or associate with her family.

raditts fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Feb 10, 2016

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

raditts posted:

If you have nostalgia for Full House, you haven't seen it recently enough.

It looks like total poo poo but I can appreciate that much like in real life, the character played by the Olsen Twins is far too successful to have to move back home or associate with her family.

Hey, Uncle Jesse made it work, why can't they? He's in much higher demand these days than either of the Olsen Twins. Not even one of them was available?

Actually it would have been funny if they continued to do the whole switchout thing they did when they were young to avoid keeping them on set for too long. Each one looks significantly different than the other, and sometimes the characters comment on it but Michelle just shrugs it off like she has no idea what they're talking about

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I thought Full House was lame as poo poo as a child, I have no idea why anyone would have nostalgia for that show

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

timp posted:

Hey, Uncle Jesse made it work, why can't they? He's in much higher demand these days than either of the Olsen Twins. Not even one of them was available?

Yeah there's like 3 different police departments that want to talk to him.

The Olsen twins chose not to return, apparently. They're not busy, they just don't want to do it. One of them quit acting like 10 years ago too.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Nevermind

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

That's loving horrible and it seems like netflix either knows nothing about programming or everything.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
It's possible that we give Netflix too much money, but oh well, more Daredevil's comin'.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Hakkesshu posted:

I thought Full House was lame as poo poo as a child, I have no idea why anyone would have nostalgia for that show
I have nostalgia for it the same way I have nostalgia for every other sitcom I grew up with. Family Matters, Fresh Prince Of Bel-Air, Friends, Home Improvement, Step By Step, Sabrina The Teenage Witch, etc. While some were better than others, none of these were really great shows and I'll admit that, but I still watched them enough to be nostalgic for them.

That doesn't mean I want to see new episodes of them in 2016, though. gently caress no.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Hakkesshu posted:

There is probably a not insignificant number of people that would be going nostalgia crazy even if Netflix rebooted Small Wonder.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

I have nostalgia for it the same way I have nostalgia for every other sitcom I grew up with. Family Matters, Fresh Prince Of Bel-Air, Friends, Home Improvement, Step By Step, Sabrina The Teenage Witch, etc. While some were better than others, none of these were really great shows and I'll admit that, but I still watched them enough to be nostalgic for them.

That doesn't mean I want to see new episodes of them in 2016, though. gently caress no.

Those were all way loving better than Full House, though. Well Step By Step wasn't but there are legit awesome episodes of Fresh Prince that still hold up.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Fresh Prince's only hinderance as a TV show is being '90s as gently caress, it still holds up pretty well despite that.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

raditts posted:

There is probably a not insignificant number of people that would be going nostalgia crazy even if Netflix rebooted Small Wonder.

I'm convinced that this is going to happen eventually.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

A reminder that Netflix's most successful thing ever is the racist Adam Sandler western.

They know their audience.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING
Netflix has a plan to cater to every audience, and to find new, weird audiences to cater to that have previously been underserved. I'm sure they have some sort of advanced algorithm based on what their subscribers watch that lets them know levels of demand for a concept. Like, say they get a pitch for a dark time travel show with a strong female lead, they can determine whether there's an audience for it. I assume their algorithm determined a Full House revival would be popular to a sufficiently large segment of their subscribers.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

Aphrodite posted:

A reminder that Netflix's most successful thing ever is the racist Adam Sandler western.

They know their audience.

What the poo poo. I've never even heard of this. http://time.com/4170573/adam-sandler-the-ridiculous-6-netflix/

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Spatula City posted:

Netflix has a plan to cater to every audience, and to find new, weird audiences to cater to that have previously been underserved. I'm sure they have some sort of advanced algorithm based on what their subscribers watch that lets them know levels of demand for a concept. Like, say they get a pitch for a dark time travel show with a strong female lead, they can determine whether there's an audience for it. I assume their algorithm determined a Full House revival would be popular to a sufficiently large segment of their subscribers.

You can also link your Netflix account to Facebook and Twitter so maybe they mine that too?

Because you once posted an "only 90s kids" meme...

Because you watched Loose Change on Facebook...

Because you voted for Trump...

Because you used to tell racist jokes in college... (that would probably be the same as the last two)

Then there's one category for my aunt where it's just the Minions movie 50 times.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Rocksicles posted:

Wow what a cool badass you must be to like a movie

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
It's a hanging offence to some Trekkies

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

You guys wanna hear a hotass take from me?

The Last Kingdom is what Vikings tried to be and failed.

• Locked thread