Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
Marshawn Lynch
4.3 Y/A
9112 total yards
74 TD
7.9 Y/R
1979 total receiving yards
9 receiving TDs

Earl Campbell (currently in the hall)
4.3 Y/A
9407 total yards
74 TD
6.7 Y/R
806 total receiving yards
0 receiving TDs

I love me some Earl so I have to argue Marshawn if a HoFer :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
On that note, if Gale Sayers is in the Hall then TD should also be in

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

Intruder posted:

Marshawn Lynch
4.3 Y/A
9112 total yards
74 TD
7.9 Y/R
1979 total receiving yards
9 receiving TDs

Earl Campbell (currently in the hall)
4.3 Y/A
9407 total yards
74 TD
6.7 Y/R
806 total receiving yards
0 receiving TDs

I love me some Earl so I have to argue Marshawn if a HoFer :colbert:

If we're gonna play that game:
Marshawn Lynch's Contemporary
4.5 Y/A
12040 rushing yards
70 TD
8.4 Y/R
3150 total receiving yards
12 receiving TDs

(Lots more games played than Lynch though)

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Spoeank posted:

If we're gonna play that game:
Marshawn Lynch's Contemporary
4.5 Y/A
12040 rushing yards
70 TD
8.4 Y/R
3150 total receiving yards
12 receiving TDs

(Lots more games played than Lynch though)

Now compare the quality of their supporting cast.

Homestar Runner
Oct 9, 2012

This is the best videogame
I have ever played!

Ross Angeles posted:

3. The Broncos say farewell to Peyton and Brock and then ???

Brees

no way he resists the lure of the Elway now that old man Peyton has provided the blueprint. Hail Satan

Cash Monet
Apr 5, 2009

GNU Order posted:

cool i'm not too late to say that dragonite is basic and bitchmade, sandslash crew report in

Dragonite in the gameboy game was broken as gently caress. I'd tear through your basic lineup with him without even batting a hyper beam. Come at me.

the good fax machine
Feb 26, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo

DO YALL WANT A HAM posted:

If I ever meet Brian Griese I swear to god I will strangle him

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
I always thought Steven Jackson had Hall of Fame talent, but years of bad teams ran him into the ground. His pass-catching abilities were on par with Faulk, his 2006 season was amazing.

Dattserberg
Dec 30, 2005

National champion, Heisman winner, King crab enthusiast

Skwirl posted:

I wish we had the technology to punch people in the face via the Internet.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

Chichevache posted:

Now compare the quality of their supporting cast.

No, I want to hear you try to explain how he had a good team around him pre-Harbaugh and a non-trash line prior to the Niners using 2 firsts on linemen in 2010.

:allears:

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

marauderthirty posted:

If I ever meet Brian Griese I swear to god I will strangle him
I used to always blame Matt Lepsis but in reality Griese is the reason it happened in the first place

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

If Joe Namath is in the HOF then Joe Flacco should also be in.

If Lynn Swann is in the HOF then Deion Branch should also be in.

If Art Monk is in the HOF then really, who could you even argue to leave out at this point?

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Christ, you might as well start putting in Punters at that point.

korrandark
Jan 5, 2009
Shane Lechler should absolutely be in the Hall of Fame.

Canopus250
Feb 18, 2005

You guys are taking me along this time? Right? Wait Shaundi is going? This is bullshit man!

I think Gore had a decent line his rookie and maybe his second year. It was most of the line that got Barlow 1k yards the year prior before with Larry Allen and I think Newberry's knee hadn't exploded yet.

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

Kalli posted:

If Art Monk is in the HOF then really, who could you even argue to leave out at this point?
TD and Sayers both had virtually identical careers stat-wise and the former won two Super Bowls (and was MVP in one of them) :shrug:

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

https://twitter.com/JoeBuscaglia/status/697446245686734848

And just a reminder that the Bills' offensive line coach beat the poo poo out of a minor over beach chairs and he was still on the Buffalo sideline for most the season, heh.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

TD and Sayers both had virtually identical careers stat-wise and the former won two Super Bowls (and was MVP in one of them) :shrug:

Steve Atwater or somebody probably should've come down with turbo cancer or something then if TD wanted to get on Sayers level. :colbert:

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

Kalli posted:

I'm ok with this

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
The Hall of Fame should be reserved for exceptional talents like Jerome Bettis not above average talents like Marshawn Lynch

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Jan Stenerud should be the only special teams player in the hall, and he should have his own wing imo

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

Kalli posted:

How do you define a hall of fame player if not by the players already in the hall?

Forever_Peace
May 7, 2007

Shoe do do do do do do do
Shoe do do do do do do yeah
Not really relevant to HallChat, but if you haven't read this article on the ongoing punting revolution, you should:

Sam Koch has changed the punting game -- and almost no one noticed

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

An actual good sports article that taught me something.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Offense wins games, defense wins championships, special teams make dynasties :eng101:

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

Jeff Locke posted:

"Most of us are just trying to get the ball downfield 40 yards with a decent hang time,"

TRY HARDER, JEFF

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
The funny thing is, if Marshawn doesn't get in because he wasn't nice to the media (which I don't think is true, his in-depth interviews are really well done), his "I'm just here so I won't get fined" shtick has probably made the NFL more money than any interview Russell Wilson has done, and the NFL still uses that as a top highlight for his career.

Also, Frank Gore should be in the HoF too. Not AP though.

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009

Lt. Frank Drebin posted:

TRY HARDER, JEFF

Haha, no poo poo.

"we're all just trying to get it 40 yards down field", says only punter struggling to kick it 40 yards.

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

Forever_Peace posted:

Not really relevant to HallChat, but if you haven't read this article on the ongoing punting revolution, you should:

Sam Koch has changed the punting game -- and almost no one noticed

Really loving cool

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Like, good on Sam Koch, but if your team could make the occasional first down you wouldn't need a great punter at all.

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

Skwirl posted:

Like, good on Sam Koch, but if your team could make the occasional first down you wouldn't need a great punter at all.

Look at how wrong this post is

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...0191-sf20680191

Lol gently caress you Swann

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont
I think there is more politics in getting into the Hall of Fame then people realize. TO has the career to be first ballot but basically pissed everyone off and will probably have to wait. Randy Moss has been involved in the media side since retirement and I think he's trying to make his case and get everyone to like him again.

Marshawn is an on the bubble guy and I don't see him playing politics.

TSBX
Apr 24, 2010
Can somebody do This but have it make them based on keywords from the GDTs next year?

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

TSBX posted:

Can somebody do This but have it make them based on keywords from the GDTs next year?

yeah I'll have a Dirty Vodka Fraudtini

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Febreeze posted:

I think there is more politics in getting into the Hall of Fame then people realize. TO has the career to be first ballot but basically pissed everyone off and will probably have to wait. Randy Moss has been involved in the media side since retirement and I think he's trying to make his case and get everyone to like him again.

Marshawn is an on the bubble guy and I don't see him playing politics.

I can see Marshawn as objectively not giving a poo poo about the HoF

TSBX
Apr 24, 2010

Alaois posted:

yeah I'll have a Dirty Vodka Fraudtini

Rex on the Beach?

Forever_Peace
May 7, 2007

You know who loving loves talking about the kicking game?

Bill Belichick.

He loves talking about punting technique (Oh my gosh, Bill Belichick, stop talking about punting techniques). He loves talking about left-footed punters (Bill Belichick with the longest answer you'll ever see on left-footed punters. ). And he loving loves talking about kicking technique too: one of his longest answers ever was in response to this question by a reporter - "What was it like for Gino Cappelletti kicking field goals back in the ‘60s?"

You think Bill Belichick is going to pass up a softball like that? A question about Gino loving Cappelletti? No, he creams it right out of the park.

quote:

"When I first came into the league in 1975, I think we talked about this before, I would say most teams had a kicker. Some teams had a punter, other teams had a guy that played a position and also punted. Then most every team had a position player who was the long snapper, either an offensive lineman or a linebacker or tight end or somebody like that. There were very, just pure long snappers like every team has now. There were, as I said, some punters, probably there were more punters than there were positon players punting, but there was an element of both. I would say the kickers had almost all transitioned at that point. I think one of the big things with kicking, unlike punting, is timing. You have the snapper and the holder and the operation and when the kicker starts a little bit early then that fouls up the timing. If the kicker starts a little bit late then it doesn't foul up the timing, it just puts you more at risk to have the kick blocked. So, one of the things the kicker deals with is just the timing and some of that is the anticipation. So the more the kicker knows the snapper, the more he can kind of anticipate that mannerism or length of time, anticipation of when the snap is going to occur and then start into his approach to the ball and kick. Obviously, the better that operation is and the more experience those guys have together, to include the holder, then theoretically the better it will be, the smoother it will be. With a punter, again, there's less of that. I mean, there's some, but there's certainly less of that because that other guy is not involved. Again, a long answer to a short question, but part of the issue in the kicking game in those days was time. So, if you were a kicker, you weren't able to kick until – even if that's all you did, if you were just a pure kicker – you wouldn't be able to kick until the center was available to snap. So the centers would usually come out maybe five, 10 minutes early and maybe snap for the punter and the punters would punt to the punt returners, which again, your punt returners were usually position players, too. Then let's call it after practice, then that same snapper would snap to the holder and the kicker and that was their practice, those whatever it was, five, 10 minutes at the end of practice and the same thing with the returners. Now you have situations where during the whole practice, as you've seen out there on the field, the snapper, the holder and the kicker or the snapper and the punter work together for extended periods of time. It's not just five minutes at the end of practice after everything else has been done. So the opportunity to be precise and efficient and the execution level on that, obviously, drastically improves. I'd say then where you see the biggest change – so, was it challenging for those kickers? Sure it was. Because a, the field conditions were a lot less than what they are now where it's either great, most fields are pretty good grass or it is turf, which is very consistent. Back in those days, the fields would vary from one end to the other, depending on if you were kicking sometimes on the infield end that was sodded or not sodded, depending on what time of year it was versus the outfield end in the baseball stadiums, which is what most of them were. The conditions weren't as good, the timing wasn't as good, the opportunity to work with those players, with each other wasn't as good. Then I would say that the biggest difference would be in the punting game when I would say until the mid-‘80s, most all teams used at least one end tight, if not both ends tight in punt formation unless they could see that the team was in an obvious return mode and there wasn't a threat to rush, then they would split out both guys. But a lot of times you'd see guys split out and then if the return team threatened, then they'd pull them and they were tight punt formations. So in the mid-‘80s, really the whole punting game kind of got revolutionized and changed dramatically with Steve DeOssie in Dallas. When Steve went to Dallas, he was able to snap and block and Dallas went exclusively to a spread punt formation and teams like us – the Giants – because they were in our division, we always felt like…I mean, normally the snapper's responsibility on the punt formation back in those days was just snap the ball. They didn't have any blocking responsibility ever. Then that all changed when DeOssie went to Dallas and he started doing it and so you'd see what you see now, which is two spread guys, eight guys rush, the center will block one of them and the other seven guys block the other seven and they punted the ball. Once we all saw that, that it was doable and Steve was doing it, then you started looking for, ‘OK, can we get a guy to do that?' that enabled you to split the ends out. That's not a kicking conversation, but it's all kind of related there. Then that got to the evolution of how important the snapper was and I would say that teams at that point saw the value of keeping a pure snapper that was able to not only snap the ball consistently, but also snap and block because of the advantages it gave you in the punting game. I would say within probably five years or so, by the early ‘90s, you rarely saw a team in a tight punt formation, unless it was the end of the game or backed up or a situational type of punt. Almost everybody went to spread punt formations. That was really the result of the snapping situation, in my opinion."

Bill Belichick can't shut the gently caress up about the kicking game.

It's like his press conference kryptonite. He tries to be all stoic and terse but my god this man can't pass up a good special teams chat.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I can see Marshawn as objectively not giving a poo poo about the HoF

Alternatively I want him to get in and his speech is just "I'm just here so I don't get fined" and he walks away

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE
Pulled from the FA thread as more general:

fsif posted:

Football Outsiders has always insisted that offense is much more consistent season-to-season than defense is, which anecdotally seems to check out.

Kalli posted:

Yeah, offenses tend to handle one piece going down or depth injuries better then defenses in general.

I think what it comes down to is that for a top-tier offense right now, all (Texans / Bills / Jets fans, among others, are screaming "all?!?") you need is a good-great quarterback. The WRs (consider Tom Brady's rotating receiving corps of Who Was That Again), TEs (Ben Watson at 35 replaced Jimmy Graham and got basically the same number of yards as Graham's 2014; Watson + Hooman got basically the same number of TDs as Graham did in 2014), and RBs are all more replaceable.

On the defensive side of things, though, a defense is only as good as its weakest link (Brandon Browner says hi!). If you're bad at run-stopping, you'll get run over; if your secondary sucks it'll be quick passes to death even if your pass rush is monstrous; if you can't put pressure on the QB, eventually someone will beat your secondary, and so on.

• Locked thread