Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

for sale posted:

I bought a dell venue 8 windows 8 version for an insanely low price a while ago and had fun with it for a while. I decided to upgrade it to windows 10 (because hey, free and I hate windows 8) and it really hasn't run smoothly since. It's really slow at times and the OS itself won't play nicely with the touch controls most of the time. Since I'm just using it for ebooks and web browsing, is there an easy way to just put Android or Linux on it instead and still have all of the touch stuff still work alright, or is there an easier way to try to do what I want here?

Did you upgrade all the drivers:

http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/19/product-support/product/dell-venue-8-pro/drivers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

for sale
Nov 25, 2007
I AM A SHOPLIFTER
Yeah I'm fully updated with Dell and Windows, but it'll still do weird stuff like only show a black screen in place of the desktop and the windows system will constantly take up 75% of memory, or the search filter will take up 30% of my cpu, leading me to think that it just can't run 10 well. That's mostly why I want to switch to another lower powered OS if it'll help.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

For what it's worth, I have one too and the current official Dell Win8 wifi driver is completely inop. As in, they updated the working driver to a new broken version, shrugged, and then never fixed or replaced it. v:v:v

Dell is like Samsung: if you like your device the way it is right out of the box, you're golden. If you want upgrades and updates, suck a dick. The easiest way to think of their devices is to behave like they're appliances; nobody buys a vacuum cleaner or a toaster expecting the company to change it in any way halfway through the product's life.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006
I recently got a Sony Xperia Z3 Compact Tablet, just want to highly recommend it to anyone looking for a 8'' android. Extremely thin and light, totally waterproof, bright screen and decent specs. It's about a year old now so not quite cutting edge but still has 3gb of RAM and should be able to be got for a decent price.

9foxtails
Jan 13, 2016
I am sure it has been covered before, but I just picked up my wife an ipad pro that she wanted for Christmas. Even though I was initially skeptical of the purchase, I have to admit it is really nice. But my honest opinion is if you need it for productivity, go with a surface or something comparable. If you only want to stream, draw, email et cetera, the IPAD Pro is hard to beat with the exception of it's price.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Trying to decide between an iPad pro or an iPad air2 as a gift for my wife. She wants one with a lot of hard drive space so I've given up on caring about price. Can someone sell me one way or the other? She's mostly going to use it to watch movies on trips or play puzzle games.

9foxtails
Jan 13, 2016

LLSix posted:

Trying to decide between an iPad pro or an iPad air2 as a gift for my wife. She wants one with a lot of hard drive space so I've given up on caring about price. Can someone sell me one way or the other? She's mostly going to use it to watch movies on trips or play puzzle games.

You could pick up an IPAD Mini 4 for $399. Seems like this would work well with what she wants to do with it.

u fink u hard Percy
Sep 14, 2007

Give her a $35 kindle and tell her men make the decisions.

Just kidding, 128gb iPad pro for future proofing.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

LLSix posted:

For movies I assume it's a bigger screen, so Air 2 over Mini 4 (although I do love my Mini 4).

Have you taken her to a store to physically compare them? I would say that's really important for this, customers I get are very divided on the Pro being "way too big, I would never want that," to "oh wow, that's awesome."

Personally, most people seem to want the Air 2 as the "just right" size. But I would def have her pick.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Duckman2008 posted:

Personally, most people seem to want the Air 2 as the "just right" size. But I would def have her pick.

Thanks for all the advice everyone. We went with the air 2 for the just right size form factor.

orinth
Apr 15, 2003

NFC WEST IS THE BEST
Just bought a Samsung galaxy tab S2 8. I had been waiting for the prices to drop $50 again but they dropped $100 yesterday.

The S2 8 can be had from Amazon and Best Buy for $299 and the 9.7 is $399

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette
Are there any good, small ( 6~7 inch ) Cherry Trail Windows 10 tablets on the market? Thinking about building my own Steamboy.

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
I'm gonna be taking my young kid on a car trip this summer and want to get a decent tablet that she can watch shows and play some basic games on.

I'm thinking 8-10" screen size should be good- when the trip is done I'd like to have something for home for web browsing and youtube.

I'm thinking a Galaxy Tab A 9.7 or Fire HD 10 would approximate what I'm looking for. Anyone have an experience with either of these?

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
The Asus T100 I bought for my dad died 3 months after the warranty expired. Ugh.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

orinth posted:

Just bought a Samsung galaxy tab S2 8. I had been waiting for the prices to drop $50 again but they dropped $100 yesterday.

The S2 8 can be had from Amazon and Best Buy for $299 and the 9.7 is $399
This is kinda tempting. I currently have an OG Kindle Fire (like, bought a couple months after they hit) that I use pretty frequently, mostly for reading books and comic books. I'd like something with a few more options, but I don't want to spend a ton on it (I throw it in my bag and carry it around with me, so I don't want something I'm going to feel like I need to handle with kid gloves).

Any other suggestions? $300-$400 is about the most I'd want to pay; I'm almost considering the Nexus 7 2013, but that's so old at this point...

And I may just end up with a new Kindle Fire, in spite of the hand-holding.

Ham Equity fucked around with this message at 11:25 on Feb 10, 2016

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Thanatosian posted:

This is kinda tempting. I currently have an OG Kindle Fire (like, bought a couple months after they hit) that I use pretty frequently, mostly for reading books and comic books. I'd like something with a few more options, but I don't want to spend a ton on it (I throw it in my bag and carry it around with me, so I don't want something I'm going to feel like I need to handle with kid gloves).

Any other suggestions? $300-$400 is about the most I'd want to pay; I'm almost considering the Nexus 7 2013, but that's so old at this point...

And I may just end up with a new Kindle Fire, in spite of the hand-holding.

iPad Mini 2.

u fink u hard Percy
Sep 14, 2007

If you don't want an iPad start with the Nvidia Shield K1.

That should be in the OP.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, sorry, should have specified no Apple.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
I need some combination of some seriously tough tablets + cases to make them nearly indestructible. I'm purchasing 5 tablets or toughbooks, or whatever for an Ambulance response company and they need to be able to withstand getting dropped, thrown, tossed around in the back of an ambulance when responders forget to tie it down.

I don't know much of anything about tablets, it probably needs to run a native Windows OS because of the software needed to run their emergency programs.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.
Any recommendations for an Otterbox style case for a K1?

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Daimo posted:

If you don't want an iPad start with the Nvidia Shield K1.

That should be in the OP.

Actually, that looks pretty great. Any particular reason I wouldn't want to go with it?

u fink u hard Percy
Sep 14, 2007

It doesn't come with a (micro-usb) charging cable or stylus, that's about it. Unless you prefer something bigger or gimmicky like a fingerprint scanner?

Ask what people think in the Android tablet thread.

Veinless
Sep 11, 2008

Smells like motivation

RealFoxy posted:

I need some combination of some seriously tough tablets + cases to make them nearly indestructible. I'm purchasing 5 tablets or toughbooks, or whatever for an Ambulance response company and they need to be able to withstand getting dropped, thrown, tossed around in the back of an ambulance when responders forget to tie it down.

Panasonic CF19 all the way. You need the crew to secure their kit though for everyone's safety.

Runaway Legs
Oct 11, 2012

Not a hat
Fun Shoe
I'm planning on buying my first tablet due to some pretty heavy travelling in the next couple of months. Bus, plane and train and possibly weeks at a time spent in hotelrooms. Since I've never owned one before, I'm unsure about my preferences, but I'm hoping to collect all my media consumption in one place. I want to be able to use Kindle, Comixology, audiobooks and podcasts, some magazine thing maybe and the usual social media stuff. I'm also planning on bringing my Chromecast to plug into any TVs I might encounter, so Netflix will probably be used. I'm guessing this is fairly normal stuff and something one could expect any tablet to do.

So, here's my question:
I've been offered a pretty good deal on a Lenovo Yoga 3 10" model. It's got a MediaTek MT8735 1.3 GHz processor and 1 GB - LPDDR3 SDRAM. 16 GB internal storage and a slot for an SD card for all my shows and stories.
Now, the price is well within my (small) budget and I like the battery time. But the hardware worries me. Do any of you have any experience with this tablet? 1 gig of ram seems like a recipie for annoyance. Will I be able to multitask, or do I have to play music from my phone while reading on the tablet? Are there other brands I should consider for more bang for my buck?
Note: I'm in Norway atm, so any current offers/sales on international shopping sites is difficult due to insane customs and import charges.

Thanks!

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
I;m thinkin about thos windows tablets. Are there any good ones that aren't extravagantly expensive? I'd like something that can run Windows 10 and is pretty snappy. I'm not expecting nor wanting insane DPI or anything over 720p. Oddly enough I came across this tablet which I got to use briefly IRL and seemed actually pretty decent. Anyone here know anything about Windows tablets and if anything outside of the Surface line and/or under $300 is worthwhile?

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

If you're gonna get a surface gotta go all out imo otherwise you'll just get frustrated. I love mine but it also costs more (used) than I care to share

Guess it depends on what you plan on doing with it. Can probably get a used surface pro 3 with "ok" specs for about $500

owl_pellet
Nov 20, 2005

show your enemy
what you look like

I browsed through the last few pages and it seems like the recommendation for a non-Apple tablet (at least around 8" or so) is the Nvidia Shield, but unless I missed it, I didn't see why. When I first decided I wanted a tablet, I started looking at Samsungs because my last three phones have been Samsung and they have been generally good. This led me to the S2 8", which is currently on sale a bunch of places for the next week or so at around $300. I plan on using it for web browsing, streaming video, and light gaming. Here is what I'm looking for:

Android
Good battery life
WiFi only
Expandable storage
Apps through the Google Play Store (as opposed to some lovely other one like the Amazon app store)
Gets Android updates soon after they hit and for a decent amount of time after purchase

As far as I can tell, the Shield and the S2 can mostly meet my needs except the Shield has slightly worse resolution, 16 GB less internal storage (which is not bad considering both are expandable by 128 GB), but it costs like $200.

So is that the reason a lot of people are recommending it? Because it's only slightly less good than the offerings from the major players but it's drastically cheaper?

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

In loving memory of Donald Pleasance
So is the current Nvidia Shield tablet still the best Android tablet for the money? Or should I wait for the new Shield tablet to come out?

Edit: And will any micro USB cable charge it up or do I have to buy the one from Nvidia?

spasticColon fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Feb 29, 2016

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
More Shield questions: does the current model lack a stylus because it just needs to be bought separately (ie they stopped bundling it) or is there actually no slot for the stylus anymore on the current model? I'm having trouble finding a rear photo that's 100% definitely not the previous version and sorting out the versions on sites like Swappa is a pain in the rear end because they're both named the same.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
There's no slot for the stylus.

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

spasticColon posted:

So is the current Nvidia Shield tablet still the best Android tablet for the money? Or should I wait for the new Shield tablet to come out?

Edit: And will any micro USB cable charge it up or do I have to buy the one from Nvidia?

I don't think Nvidia is going to release another tablet so soon, if they do it would be with the X1 SoC, which is what the Pixel C has so it would probably be more pricey than the K1. Also I'm using the usb cable that came bundled with my Moto G 2014, and an iPad Mini 2 charger, no problems so far.

owl_pellet posted:

So is that the reason a lot of people are recommending it? Because it's only slightly less good than the offerings from the major players but it's drastically cheaper?

Being significantly cheaper, while not missing a step against it's pricey rivals, running already marshmallow and having stock android is essentially why goons tend to recommend the K1.

I would say battery it's the weakest link, but it improved with marshmallow, even with the dumb miscellaneous bug.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I'm looking for something around $150ish.

I'll primarily be using it for watching videos and reading comics, I don't foresee myself playing games on it much if at all.

Main reason I'm not going with an Amazon Fire is because I don't want to be locked to Amazon's app store, I know there are ways around that but I'd rather just use Google Play right out of the box.

I don't know much about the big names in general though so I'm ears for anything really.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

If you can push to 200 the K1 will be an extraordinary step up over 150. Or anything else under 300.

kazmeyer
Jul 26, 2001

'Cause we're the good guys.

Srice posted:

I'm looking for something around $150ish.

I'll primarily be using it for watching videos and reading comics, I don't foresee myself playing games on it much if at all.

Main reason I'm not going with an Amazon Fire is because I don't want to be locked to Amazon's app store, I know there are ways around that but I'd rather just use Google Play right out of the box.

I don't know much about the big names in general though so I'm ears for anything really.

It takes about a minute to put Google Play and services on a 7" Kindle Fire. It's really only worth it if you want the super-cheap tablet, though; the Fire HD series is pretty well outclassed by most other tablets around their price point.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

MikeJF posted:

If you can push to 200 the K1 will be an extraordinary step up over 150. Or anything else under 300.

How so? If the leap is big enough I wouldn't mind putting in an extra amount for something that will (hopefully) last awhile.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Just a quick search of Amazon shows me that for $150, the best you can get is a 2014 bottom of the line Samsung. The extra $50 gets you a newer, MUCH better tablet (faster, bigger, higher-resolution screen)that will likely be supported much longer. Everything else sub-$150 is either ancient, from no-name companies that will never support it, or both.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Endless Mike posted:

Just a quick search of Amazon shows me that for $150, the best you can get is a 2014 bottom of the line Samsung. The extra $50 gets you a newer, MUCH better tablet (faster, bigger, higher-resolution screen)that will likely be supported much longer. Everything else sub-$150 is either ancient, from no-name companies that will never support it, or both.

You could try your luck on eBay or wait for a deal on woot, but otherwise if you want a tablet for $150 it's Fire or nothing.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Srice posted:

How so? If the leap is big enough I wouldn't mind putting in an extra amount for something that will (hopefully) last awhile.

The Fire HD 8 is 800x1280, a low-end 1.5GHz processor with 1G ram, a weird gimped Android 5 OS.

The K1 is 1200x1920, a Tegra K1 2.2GHz, 2G ram, Android 6, and a good likelyhood of long-term updates and support.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Heck, I'm convinced. Thanks all!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Is the op still up to date? My friend is looking for a relatively cheap android tablet (non-4g or anything, wireless only) to play games and faff about on. Seems the google nexus 7 in the op fits the bill but I didn't know if that was still the goto choice or if anything has changed since it was posted. Thanks.