Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

Irritated Goat posted:

I've got an Ally account. I'm kind of tempted to use it for emergency funds\wife's taxes (she's a contractor) now that someone mentioned it. It might make us a couple dollars over time and is less accessible if my dumb rear end overspends.
I do this, for both items you listed. Easy, and keeps the money away from my normal cash - which doesn't matter as I spend to a budget anyway but it's a nice added benefit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rexim
Jun 2, 2006

I wants flies in on a dragons, okay?
Extremely naive question:

Is it normal for my car insurance premium to increase for no discernible reason?

My last two six-month premiums cost $x, so I've been saving up to buy another at $x but now it's a little more (only like $20 or so).

I mean I guess it makes sense, what with inflation and everything. I just wasn't expecting it and wondering if this happens to everyone?

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Rexim posted:

Extremely naive question:

Is it normal for my car insurance premium to increase for no discernible reason?

My last two six-month premiums cost $x, so I've been saving up to buy another at $x but now it's a little more (only like $20 or so).

I mean I guess it makes sense, what with inflation and everything. I just wasn't expecting it and wondering if this happens to everyone?

Yeah. The other thing is that it's worth shopping around every year or so for insurance. There's no one company that will be always cheapest for you.
If your only insurance policy is auto, definitely do it. It's annoying to do it when you have a bundle for car/boat/house/beanie baby collection

Dead Pressed
Nov 11, 2009
Per Clark Howard, it is common for insurance companies to develop algorithms to figure out who is likely to check prices, and who not. Then they'll raise the prices knowing, in general, who won't shop around. Insurance does not reward loyalty.

Call around, getting a couple of quotes that could save you a hundred dollars a year is worth it.

SeaWolf
Mar 7, 2008
Speaking of insurance shopping... Every time my 6mo premium rolls around I always go shopping but for some reason whenever I get quotes from other companies it's usually 4-5x higher than what I'm paying now. And I already think I'm paying on the higher end of what I should be. I'm with geico with higher than average coverage, but comparable coverage with other companies just seems so out of line with what I've got, I don't know what to think...

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

SeaWolf posted:

Speaking of insurance shopping... Every time my 6mo premium rolls around I always go shopping but for some reason whenever I get quotes from other companies it's usually 4-5x higher than what I'm paying now. And I already think I'm paying on the higher end of what I should be. I'm with geico with higher than average coverage, but comparable coverage with other companies just seems so out of line with what I've got, I don't know what to think...

This is me too. Sometimes you just fit a particular company's risk model very well I guess.

I've heard people say GEICO can be hard to work with if you actually need them to pay out. But I have an old car with liability only (decently high limits), and I've never needed them, so I have no personal experience there.

ObsidianBeast
Jan 17, 2008

SKA SUCKS

Grumpwagon posted:

This is me too. Sometimes you just fit a particular company's risk model very well I guess.

I've heard people say GEICO can be hard to work with if you actually need them to pay out. But I have an old car with liability only (decently high limits), and I've never needed them, so I have no personal experience there.

That's very interesting, as we've had Geico and went through 2 totaled cars with them. Both times the process went as smooth as I can imagine it ever going, paid out quickly, quick estimates and a breeze to work with. I guess YMMV.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

ObsidianBeast posted:

That's very interesting, as we've had Geico and went through 2 totaled cars with them. Both times the process went as smooth as I can imagine it ever going, paid out quickly, quick estimates and a breeze to work with. I guess YMMV.

Well, I'm just passing on 3rd hand reports of anecdotes, so it's very possible I'm full of poo poo.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

ObsidianBeast posted:

Generally speaking, totaled cars are super-easy to deal with, especially if there are few/no injuries.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I've had Geico for like 10 years - never had a problem with claims

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Geico is kind of an anomaly in that they're crazy cheap for some reason. They are the Walmart of auto insurance companies, competing on cost alone.

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?
I just moved to Canada from Australia and have no plans of going back. What would happen if I stopped paying my australian gem visa credit card? (forever)

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

You can't make an Omelet without breaking a few eggs. Vote Greens.

Nierbo posted:

I just moved to Canada from Australia and have no plans of going back. What would happen if I stopped paying my australian gem visa credit card? (forever)

Really depends on how much you owe. If it's $1k, they might get a judgement against you and try to seize any assets of yours still in Australia (bank accounts, property, etc), but I suspect it's unlikely they'll try to chase you across the ocean. However, if you're owing hundreds of thousands in unsecuritised debt (I doubt that's likely) and have nothing in Australia, they might go to all the effort of tracking you down, serving you in a Canadian court and forcing you to pony up.

It's not something I'd recommend doing. Even if you're not in Australia, they may start sending bills, collections notices and debt collectors to anyone you've ever stayed with, like your family. Nothing ruins Christmas dinner quite like 'hey kid, good to see you again, the debt collectors are still after you - there's a couple of scary notices in the corner there for you to look at'.

spinst
Jul 14, 2012

SeaWolf posted:

Thanks for posting this! It reminded me to shop around.

I have been with esurance for the past two years with their premium being dramatically lower than any other company I compared them with.

But slowly over my last three renewals my premium went up a total of $90 per six month period for no discernible reason.

I took some time to compare today and was able to go from $393/6 months to $294 by switching to Progressive. I was even able to bump up my coverage in several areas and still come out way ahead.

Good With Money: I used the savings to get Renter's Insurance, which I have been lacking for a few years now. :x

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

spinst posted:

I took some time to compare today and was able to go from $393/6 months to $294 by switching to Progressive. I was even able to bump up my coverage in several areas and still come out way ahead.
Progressive is poo poo. They spend the most on advertising and have the cheapest rates. I wonder how they do it? Hint: Its not because they pay out a lot of claims.

Dead Pressed
Nov 11, 2009
I personally had no issues with progressive. Two chipped and filled windshield and a mowed over dog on the highway. Anecdotal, obviously.

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?

froglet posted:

Really depends on how much you owe. If it's $1k, they might get a judgement against you and try to seize any assets of yours still in Australia (bank accounts, property, etc), but I suspect it's unlikely they'll try to chase you across the ocean. However, if you're owing hundreds of thousands in unsecuritised debt (I doubt that's likely) and have nothing in Australia, they might go to all the effort of tracking you down, serving you in a Canadian court and forcing you to pony up.

It's not something I'd recommend doing. Even if you're not in Australia, they may start sending bills, collections notices and debt collectors to anyone you've ever stayed with, like your family. Nothing ruins Christmas dinner quite like 'hey kid, good to see you again, the debt collectors are still after you - there's a couple of scary notices in the corner there for you to look at'.

Do you think they'd try and track me down over 5 grand? Would that pos poo poo country even have any jurisdiction over canada?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

You're gonna tear up your credit over $5 grand? Just write them a letter, tell them you're going to send them a check for $50/mo for the next 100 months @ no interest due to you leaving the country forever. These kinds of things have a way of circling back around to you some day.

If you're gonna be a dick about it, buy $100k in gold on credit and then leave the country or something mischevious (pro tip: don't actually do that). But not for a measly $5K. Especially if you can get a job in the US, and then that debt is only $2500.

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?
Well I walked out on my internet and phone and power bills anyway so my credit is long but gone. like I said I'm never going back so credit rating doesn't matter to me.

But yeah I think I'll just pay the money back and be done with it.

legsarerequired
Dec 31, 2007
College Slice
I keep $1500-$2000 in my checking account and the rest in Ally to protect myself from impulse spending. I used to just put way too much money in my 401k, but I've gotten a bit more of a handle on myself, so now I've taken the next step of keeping more money in checking but with most of it slightly more protected in online savings.

Also what is this thread's thoughts on getting a part time job in addition to a full time office job? I've heard horrible things about Uber but I applied for Favor, Task Rabbit and I'm looking at freelance stuff for copy editor type work.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
Is there a good way to figure out how much to contribute to an IRA for 2015 before filing so I don't end up owing any tax this year? I eyeballed my exemptions after my wife graduated and started working full time and I didn't think we'd owe taxes - turns out we're gonna owe about $300 as things stand.

Also, how are traditional IRA deduction limits affected by the 401k I have (and contribute to) at work?

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
I worked 6 months in 2014 and got $2000 on my tax return. 2015 I was still employed at the same company but worked the whole year and only got $1300 on my tax returns. Nothing has changed but why am I getting less money back?

Busy Bee fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Feb 17, 2016

Dead Pressed
Nov 11, 2009
That's not enough information to go off of, however, it if you only worked part of the year in 2014 and the full year in 2015, you may have increased your earnings over the limits in which the "earned income credit" would apply.

Other off the wall things could be the obamacare fine if you didn't have insurance (325/person you claim if not covered the ought the year) which increased substantially last year.

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
edit

Busy Bee fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Feb 17, 2016

Ancillary Character
Jul 25, 2007
Going about life as if I were a third-tier ancillary character

Busy Bee posted:

I worked 6 months in 2014 and got $2000 on my tax return. 2015 I was still employed at the same company but worked the whole year and only got $1300 on my tax returns. Nothing has changed but why am I getting less money back?

The income tax for one-half of your income is not equal to half of the income tax owed of your entire income, rather it is less due to the progressive nature of the income tax system. In order words, twice the income does not result in twice the income tax; the income tax owed is actually larger than double.

It seems like your allowances have you over-withholding, which is why you're getting a refund in the first place. Withholding per paycheck assumes you get that paycheck for every pay period in the year; it doesn't taken into account that you only worked half of a year. Last year, you essentially withheld half of what you withheld this entire year, but the tax you owed was less than half of what you owed this year, so you got a bigger refund. Since income tax owed does not scale linearly with income, your refund did not double just because you worked the entire year because you owed more than double the income tax you did last year. It's also possible your income caused you to phase out of certain deductions and credits as well.

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007
the internet makes you stupid
So.. my wife owes like 1500 for taxes.. most likely due to working lots of overtime last year. I was wondering if there was any possible way to lower this amount due back by contributing a lump sum into her 401k? Or is this not how it works? (Sorry, Canadian goon, American wife.)

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
I'm pretty sure 401k contributions legally have to come out of paychecks, and so you can't contribute for the past year after December 31. At least, no employer I ever had gave the option to make a contribution outside of pay withholding, current year or otherwise.

If she hasn't contributed to an IRA yet for 2015, her best bet is to contribute the max (5500) to a Traditional IRA.

It's worth taking a few hours with a tax refund calculator mid-year to see where you stand taxwise and where you're likely to end up due to this reason, so you have more time an ability to adjust for it.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008

lol internet. posted:

So.. my wife owes like 1500 for taxes.. most likely due to working lots of overtime last year. I was wondering if there was any possible way to lower this amount due back by contributing a lump sum into her 401k? Or is this not how it works? (Sorry, Canadian goon, American wife.)

Wife and I were slated to owe $300 this year (posted earlier in this thread). A $1000 contribution to a traditional IRA turned us from owing to getting a refund of $24. YMMV based upon your AGI, but it wouldn't hurt to see how it would work for you.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.
My wife is a contractor so we have to set aside her taxes. Is there a good site to calculate that based on her paycheck?

To be more precise, I know what she gets paid in total for her hours (i.e. $100 deposit) and would like to just input that, my state and filing status for the amount I need to set aside for her. If I really need to get more info, it's fine but I wanted to try to do it without bothering her today.

Koskinator
Nov 4, 2009

MOURNFUL: ALAS,
POOR YORICK
I'd like to double check my plan for divvying up my money - I'm in Canada.

Those are my current student loans:

Federal - 14,559.37 at 5.2% floating, monthly payment 194.25
Provincial - 16,931.60 at 2.7% floating, monthly payment 204.96

I have no other debt, and I hold a RDSP with $26k right now that still has tons of grant matching space left to make up - the government will grant $3500 for the first $1500 I put in annually. I have over 20k of unclaimed grants, and I can contribute up to 10.5k per year until I catch up.

I have $37k in the bank. The one negative is that I currently do not have a stable income. I live frugally and have really good financial restraint, but because I'm still waiting to land an ongoing stable job in my field I'm not going to throw all my money at the RDSP and loans immediately.

Am I correct in that the best strategy for tackling this would be:

1) Contribute money to the RDSP to get the government grants
2) Even if my loan repayment assistance ends, continue with RDSP grants as first priority over loans since the grants outweight my loan interest payments
3) Once RDSP annual grants are maxed for the year, pay down the provincial loan first because it has the higher interest rate

Koskinator fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Feb 19, 2016

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Irritated Goat posted:

My wife is a contractor so we have to set aside her taxes. Is there a good site to calculate that based on her paycheck?

To be more precise, I know what she gets paid in total for her hours (i.e. $100 deposit) and would like to just input that, my state and filing status for the amount I need to set aside for her. If I really need to get more info, it's fine but I wanted to try to do it without bothering her today.

If you want to be exact, you have to know what you're going to make this year, what she's going to make, and what deductions/exemptions you're going to have.

I've always heard to set aside a third as a good rule of thumb; it's probably overkill for most people, but better a bit over than a lot under.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
It's almost certainly not overkill if she's paying both sides of FICA.

Droo
Jun 25, 2003

Nail Rat posted:

It's almost certainly not overkill if she's paying both sides of FICA.

Yeah, for self employment income for a spouse your estimated needs are:

15.3% self employment tax + state tax + marginal tax rate considering spouse's income.

So for example, if you are in illinois and your spouse makes 90k a year then you would need to set aside:

15.3% + 3.75% + 25% federal income tax = ~44%.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Droo posted:

Yeah, for self employment income for a spouse your estimated needs are:

15.3% self employment tax + state tax + marginal tax rate considering spouse's income.

So for example, if you are in illinois and your spouse makes 90k a year then you would need to set aside:

15.3% + 3.75% + 25% federal income tax = ~44%.

The federal rate should be effective not just the highest bracket. But really since they are married it is going to be a bit screwy and you might just hold back the highest bracket to be on the safe side.

Droo
Jun 25, 2003

spwrozek posted:

The federal rate should be effective not just the highest bracket.

I don't know why people keep saying this. The husband has a job and is making $x regardless (presumably) of whether the wife makes $0 or $100,000. Therefore the wife's income (which is variable in this specific example) needs to account for the marginal tax rate that she will have to pay based on the fact that the husband's income will exist and fill the lower tax brackets regardless of whether she has that income or not.

It's not really fair to to the wife to think about it this way, but in order to figure out how much extra tax they are going to owe that's how it works.

Droo fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Feb 20, 2016

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Droo posted:

I don't know why people keep saying this. The husband has a job and is making $x regardless (presumably) of whether the wife makes $0 or $100,000. Therefore the wife's income (which is variable in this specific example) needs to account for the marginal tax rate that she will have to pay based on the fact that the husband's income will exist and fill the lower tax brackets regardless of whether she has that income or not.

It's not really fair to to the wife to think about it this way, but in order to figure out how much extra tax they are going to owe that's how it works.

Exactly, maybe he makes 10k and she makes 20k (10%? Bracket). Or he makes 150k and she 150k so 28% bracket. Maybe they file separate?

That is why the poster above you said we need to know his income too, they can ignore deductions to make it simple and will keep back too much.

He didn't say what either of them make, if they have kids, you can't just assume 25%, that is lazy.

If we want to be lazy just keep 50% for taxes and be done with it.

tumblr hype man
Jul 29, 2008

nice meltdown
Slippery Tilde

Koskinator posted:

I'd like to double check my plan for divvying up my money - I'm in Canada.

Those are my current student loans:

Federal - 14,559.37 at 5.2% floating, monthly payment 194.25
Provincial - 16,931.60 at 2.7% floating, monthly payment 204.96

I have no other debt, and I hold a RDSP with $26k right now that still has tons of grant matching space left to make up - the government will grant $3500 for the first $1500 I put in annually. I have over 20k of unclaimed grants, and I can contribute up to 10.5k per year until I catch up.

I have $37k in the bank. The one negative is that I currently do not have a stable income. I live frugally and have really good financial restraint, but because I'm still waiting to land an ongoing stable job in my field I'm not going to throw all my money at the RDSP and loans immediately.

Am I correct in that the best strategy for tackling this would be:

1) Contribute money to the RDSP to get the government grants
2) Even if my loan repayment assistance ends, continue with RDSP grants as first priority over loans since the grants outweight my loan interest payments
3) Once RDSP annual grants are maxed for the year, pay down the provincial loan first because it has the higher interest rate

Personally , as an American (meaning I don't know poo poo about the RDSP, like even what that stands for), I would pay down the Federal Loan (5.2% Adjustable Rate) then the Provincial (2.7% Adjustable Rate) debt, then contribute to your RDSP. I would do it this way since it looks like you can postpone the contributions and matches for awhile. Of course you miss out on any growth, but I think it will be harder to beat the 5.25% you get paying off that loan. It leaves you with lower required future outflows as well as your employment status shifts.
Really, and I say this having been unemployed for like two years, I would focus on getting stable employment. It's much harder to make these plans and decisions without a consistent, stable income stream.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
The RDSP has the best possible rate of return, though.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
It's been four years now since I got out of debt.

And oh god I have over 100k in debt how did that happen?

(I bought a house, that's how).

A quick update, didn't think it warranted it's own thread but I know a lot of people care about ~CornHolio Business~... thought about starting a thread with the title that I was over 100k in debt, thought the better of it.

Sister-in-law's house is up for sale, she has a potential buyer. Her and her girlfriend (a plot twist!) are planning on moving to California because there's hopes and dreams out there or something. So that monkey will finally be off of our backs (though as you know, I never really considered it much of a monkey). She's likely going to break even with what she owes, so I'm not expecting anything out of it.

My wife got a decent raise recently (and I'm expecting one soon as I'm taking on managerial duties) and we're officially over $100k/year combined. Very little debt (it'll be gone next month, it was some emergency house stuff I had to pay for last year) and once that's gone, I'm saving up for a new car. Still don't have a lot of emergency savings at the moment (working on that as well).

Still have the Volvo, it's indestructible after all. Bought an $800 pickup truck a year and a half ago too (I've found that as a homeowner, a pickup of some sort is incredibly useful).

Still only have the two kids, they're five and eight now and are very well.

So, uh, how are you guys doing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

CornHolio posted:

It's been four years now since I got out of debt.

And oh god I have over 100k in debt how did that happen?

(I bought a house, that's how).

A quick update, didn't think it warranted it's own thread but I know a lot of people care about ~CornHolio Business~... thought about starting a thread with the title that I was over 100k in debt, thought the better of it.

Sister-in-law's house is up for sale, she has a potential buyer. Her and her girlfriend (a plot twist!) are planning on moving to California because there's hopes and dreams out there or something. So that monkey will finally be off of our backs (though as you know, I never really considered it much of a monkey). She's likely going to break even with what she owes, so I'm not expecting anything out of it.

My wife got a decent raise recently (and I'm expecting one soon as I'm taking on managerial duties) and we're officially over $100k/year combined. Very little debt (it'll be gone next month, it was some emergency house stuff I had to pay for last year) and once that's gone, I'm saving up for a new car. Still don't have a lot of emergency savings at the moment (working on that as well).

Still have the Volvo, it's indestructible after all. Bought an $800 pickup truck a year and a half ago too (I've found that as a homeowner, a pickup of some sort is incredibly useful).

Still only have the two kids, they're five and eight now and are very well.

So, uh, how are you guys doing?

Sounds like things are going pretty well overall for you. Really glad to hear that.