Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

thrakkorzog posted:

From what I understand, the basic idea behind Trigdasleng is that it's designed to be a made up language, sort of like Pig Latin. It's a pidgin English for a survivalist group that's big enough that not everybody knows each other. So if somebody can talk to you in the same made-up language, then you're both part of the same group, and if somebody doesn't understand, then they're an outsider. Which is why a lot of English creeps into the language, and why things like skykru and and treekru makes sense.

It's not hard to imagine slipping in polis in as a word for city, since it's the root word for words like politician, polite, and policy. I have studied zero ancient Greek and I know that polis means city.

Yeah, it's basically English smacked around a bit. "Fix up" becomes "fis up" is "to heal", poo poo like that. "Gunner" becomes "gona", a "warrior". A "fight" is "gonplei", "gunplay". "English" is "Gonasleng", "Gunner slang", the warrior's language. So Polis as "Well it's Greek for city" is like I'm totally not going to think about it again after this, but it's amusing they broke naming trends when there is an entire city right on top of them that could just as easily be Polis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Or it could be the center of a polish deli

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible

As if WMATA would get the purple line up and running in the next 97 years.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Boogaleeboo posted:

That's odd. Wonder how that worked out. Everything else is basically named after what it always was, it's not like "Tondc" is what they call Richmond. At least living in Baltimore explains why they are so poo poo at running things.

Before the bombs fell, all the violence led to the establishment of the Baltimore Police State. Hence the no weapons signs.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

TyrantWD posted:

As if WMATA would get the purple line up and running in the next 97 years.

Apparently that's an artist thing for a actual proposed rail line IRL.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate
So the Ice nation lives in the bombed out frozen ruins of Washington DC right?

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

sbaldrick posted:

The ice nation extends for "thousands of miles" so probably the frozen ruins of Ottowa

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

The same linguist that invented Dothraki and whatever they speak on Defiance invented grounderese. It's intended to be an English Creole.

It works well because they are still using American phonemes and such so all the grounder actors sound like native speakers.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

sbaldrick posted:

Pennsylvania Border, give or take.

The community map is still be worked on.
https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/viewer?mid=zHy9zgyJz0aw.kJx9g3kRKLfw

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

I hope Ice Nation doesn't go way up to Canada because it means they can keep ramping it up season after season with "...well now wait til you see THESE GUYS from just over the NEXT hill!" and have wild storylines with desert warriors from Kentucky or Jungle Men from Idaho or degenerate radioactive mutants of Texas or whatever. To say nothing of what's going on in other countries. :allears:

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The degenerate radioactive mutants would obviously be in Jersey.

It wouldn't even be from the bombs or anything. Jersey survived completely intact.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Indian Point :911:

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
I wonder if we'll ever get a global perspective at some point. I gotta imagine there have to be plenty of places around the world that weren't completely destroyed and also maybe not everyone reverted back to tribal asshattery.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Noctone posted:

I wonder if we'll ever get a global perspective at some point. I gotta imagine there have to be plenty of places around the world that weren't completely destroyed and also maybe not everyone reverted back to tribal asshattery.

In an human exchange, sure, but I figure the evil computer program was pretty thorough. And even if not, after the initial nuclear exchange there is the radiation, changes in climate, illnesses without modern healthcare, post-nuke conflicts for power.

But tribal or not Polis is seemingly a pretty solid piece of civilization. I wouldn't call it completely destroyed even if things have regressed. And hey, they aren't racist/sexist! They do hate people who are born in space or inside mountains though but I wouldn't really call that racism.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

Astroman posted:

I hope Ice Nation doesn't go way up to Canada because it means they can keep ramping it up season after season with "...well now wait til you see THESE GUYS from just over the NEXT hill!" and have wild storylines with desert warriors from Kentucky or Jungle Men from Idaho or degenerate radioactive mutants of Texas or whatever. To say nothing of what's going on in other countries. :allears:

Canada wasn't involved in the war, just deiced everyone in space was an rear end in a top hat and refused to talk to them.

They are busy fighting a war with New Zealand over rare metals in what's left of China.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
Do we know what body of water Jaha crossed to get to Alie's island? I am not sure where the Dead Zone and the island are supposed to be.

Edit: there is apparently a The 100 wiki, and it says Jaha touched down in Manhattan, so the Dead Zone is probably New York state? I still don't know what that makes the island, it was way too far to be most of the islands around NYC. Why do I care so much about geography in a show about murderteens

Soothing Vapors fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Feb 10, 2016

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Jaha crashed in NYC give or take, The solar farm is Long Island, and Murphy's 5 star solitary lighthouse is Conneticut.

Plus or minus some sea levels etc... war, global warming.

All in the map

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/viewer?mid=zHy9zgyJz0aw.kJx9g3kRKLfw

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
I'm pretty sure that the people editing the wiki assumed that because New York landmarks are in a desert in the credits, and we don't actually have any reason to think that from the show proper. If I'm correct on that, disregard the wiki.

Fan wiki's are bad anyway.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
He quite literally lands right next to the Manhattan Bridge.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Oh i did not notice that at all.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
They might be weird, but google map fan project dudes are nothing if not thorough.

Soothing Vapors posted:

Why do I care so much about geography in a show about murderteens

I'm with you, i tend to sperg out about geography. I've never been the US, but i know it better than a metric gently caress ton of local imbeciles.

I googled NYC bridges to make sure i had the right bridge...

Rocksicles fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Feb 10, 2016

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

I thought it was the Brooklyn Bridge, but I'm a Californian, I don't know much more about NYC bridges than you do.

Or are they twins? I don't know.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Ones got 4 arches, t'others got 3. They are right next to each other.

Geography wise, he either landed in Brooklyn, or the East Village.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Rocksicles posted:

Ones got 4 arches, t'others got 3. They are right next to each other.

Geography wise, he either landed in Brooklyn, or the East Village.

East village would be funnier.
Insert 'fashion hasn't changed much in 100+ years' joke

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
150 years, well a 135 years give or take. the Nuke were launched around 2050.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
I said 100+:colbert:

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Error 404 posted:

I said 100+:colbert:

I was just being specific for the folks who don't read wikis.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

So Jaha literally landed in The Forbidden Zone from Planet of the Apes!

punchymcpunch
Oct 14, 2012

That has to be foreshadowing.

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler
Some promos are out with Lexa fighting Roan in an arena after the Ice Queen coup and I couldn't be more hyped. The Defenestration Of Polis has set things in motion that won't end soon.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I can hear the sound of Clexa shippers going loving spare right about now.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Astroman posted:

So Jaha literally landed in The Forbidden Zone from Planet of the Apes!

When the angry gorilla showed up last year I was so bummed out that he didn't speak.

wereboat
Jun 23, 2011
I thought it was really neat how they showed the countdown reflected in Bellamy's girlfriend's dead cold eyes.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Remember in the first season after we saw the first grounders somebody was like "who are they?" and octavia or somebody picked up a weird monkey skull and said "what are they?"

The grounders are obviously people though so that really went nowhere.

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Do you like superheroes? Check out my CYOA Mutants: Uprising

How about weird historical fiction? Try Vampires of the Caribbean

:siren: S3 E4 Watch the Throne

Clarke learns the identity of the author of a devious plan; Kane fights to keep the peace; Jasper acts recklessly out of grief.

:supaburn:

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

hollylolly posted:

:siren: S3 E4 Watch the Throne

Clarke learns the identity of the author of a devious plan; Kane fights to keep the peace; Jasper acts recklessly out of grief.

:supaburn:

Just add "Murphy makes a crazy decision that upsets everyone" and that could be the synopsis of every episode...

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Do you like superheroes? Check out my CYOA Mutants: Uprising

How about weird historical fiction? Try Vampires of the Caribbean

Yeah, they're playing it really safe/vague with the synopsizes. Synopsii? :lol:

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Well this escalated quickly. Feels like there's an episode missing between last week and this.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

Remember in the first season after we saw the first grounders somebody was like "who are they?" and octavia or somebody picked up a weird monkey skull and said "what are they?"

The grounders are obviously people though so that really went nowhere.

Remember how last season showed some weird super deformed guy? What was up with that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
They need to just keep Jasper locked in a room somewhere.

• Locked thread