Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

turtlecrunch posted:

The new Forlorn guy in SOTFS is dumb as hell and probably uses the handle XXSSJsephirothXX in other games.

He's seriously the easiest enemy phantom I've ever encountered in the series. I expected him to be a badass, being on the cover and all, but they made him about as strong as a normal enemy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
If you really have trouble with npc invaders, seriously, they can't handle spears. A good winged spear with the counter ring or stone ring render them helpless because they can't figure out how to approach you. Poke poke poke, roll away for stamina if necessary, repeat until dead. The smarter ones might roll towards you, but poking near the end of the roll stops that.

Only guys I ever had trouble with was Aurheim and Maldron, but I wasn't spearing Aurheim and Maldron always runs to try for a trap.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Deified Data posted:

I'm glad no one else does that part in melee, either.

Magic Rebel Greatshield +10.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

If you haven't beaten amana two handing or power stancing weapons of your choice you haven't lived

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

ACTION AMERICAN posted:

I never get tired of reposting this in regards to cheating ai: https://youtu.be/BS_EQxK9coE

I'm pretty sure it's not intentional, funny enough. It's just that fake invaders don't have button presses simulated fully, so the flags that prevent a human from chaining attacks too fast or escaping their backstab animations aren't set.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
This is a cool video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ubIE5OEqvo

Ghost of Starman
Mar 9, 2008
Tallgeese, I've been meaning to ask - is that one of the Warframes sitting on the Iron Throne in your avatar? What's the story there? :cheeky:

Orv
May 4, 2011

It's a cool idea executed extremely badly.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
You're supposed to warn us when the music is...that.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
The Forlorn is the dude on the cover of SOTFS?

I always wondered who that was!

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Should have been Armourer Denis

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

The only over I've encountered yet has been Armourer Dennis, who one-shot me with that big fuckoff magic sword attack. Then someone pointed out to me that I should probably just come back later on.

I can't do poo poo to player invaders, though, because a) I'm bad at the game, b) lag makes it impossible to judge distance, and c) almost everyone I see has some exotic weapon or armour I've never seen before.
There was one fight when latency seemed good enough that the action on screen actually correlated to whether we hit each other or not, but then the dude fire-enchanted his glaive and one-shot me. I was consistently dodging and counter-stabbing the guy, until then :(

I guess it doesn't help that the rapier seems to do basically zero poise damage. I can't dodge/counter heide knights because the fuckers just ignore me stabbing them, then get a free combo on me before I can recover from my attack animation. Even if I time my attack for when they just swung and missed, their recovery is bullshit fast.

NuttO
Oct 22, 2001

sold fifty gold sixty platinum

i liked this video and the music. thanks for sharing!

here is a video with a similar concept:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Obkd0NeRWbg

Orv
May 4, 2011
That's (one of the acceptable ways) how you do a stop motion video.

Salean
Mar 17, 2004

Homewrecker

Doing invasions I came across a guy in heide knight gear who was sitting down. How do you do that?

edit: To clarify the guy who I invaded was in the heide knight gear sitting on the bridge in the iron keep

Salean fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Feb 10, 2016

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

NuttO posted:

i liked this video and the music. thanks for sharing!

here is a video with a similar concept:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Obkd0NeRWbg

:eyepop:

Salean posted:

Doing invasions I came across a guy in heide knight gear who was sitting down. How do you do that?

that's where heide knight gear comes from!

kung fu jive
Jul 2, 2014

SOPHISTICATED DOG SHIT

Salean posted:

edit: To clarify the guy who I invaded was in the heide knight gear sitting on the bridge in the iron keep

Was it sitting down like he was at a bonfire? Because if so he might have been hacking. I was reading about what's possible with hacking earlier (because people are invading me now! :holy:) and someone mentioned that.

By the way, did you guys know there is non-consensual PvP in this game?! I got invaded twice and died gloriously both times. I still have no idea how the system works, but its pretty cool and I approve.

Surprise invasions aside, this dual wield build is progressing nicely. I'm glad I decided to stick it out because its definitely my style (I might even dual wield greatswords later because apparently you can do that :v:). I've killed a few more bosses and am starting to feel like I have a grasp on how to play Dark Souls. It's pretty liberating. Thanks to the goons who gave me the initial advice and also whoever posted the quick guide to attributes a few pages back because that's probably the most useful thing I've read about this game as a new player.

I cleared out as much of the No Man's Wharf as I could find (that boss was e to the z) and I'm currently trying to beat the three statues in the Lost Bastille area.

A Steampunk Gent posted:

Ran into a Pursuer encounter I never saw before, returning to the courtyard with all the dogs between the Exile Holding Cell and McDuff bonfires in Lost Bastile. I'm there dodging the archers and like four dogs when I'm suddenly impaled by his curse skewer. I run round the corner to get some distance and safely heal and then he's gone again. Spooky.

This happened to me also and it was scary as gently caress. I'm just avoiding that side of the zone because I honestly have no idea how I would deal with the situation and not die miserably.

Salean
Mar 17, 2004

Homewrecker

The guys name was 'Lost Heide Knight' and he was sitting like any heide knight would sit like before you aggro them all by killing the dragonrider.

He didn't even do anything until I attacked him, just sat against the railing on the bridge. I threw down a bunch of hellos and gestures and a couple of warmth spells but he just kept sitting until I got curious and hit him.
He wasn't invincible and didn't have really bad lag so I dunno. I just thought that if the heide set gives you the ability to chillax anywhere you want, I'd 100% want to invade people as a chill relaxin' heide knight

kung fu jive
Jul 2, 2014

SOPHISTICATED DOG SHIT
Hmm what a weirdo. Reminds me of this hilarious guy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ecS0yKnNLA

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Well, I just beat the Old Dragonslayer after a few tries and now I'm back off my high horse to feeling poo poo scared about getting ganked in the next area. I've been helping people out with the various big enemies in that area and it's criminal how easy the bosses are with a summon - their AI really isn't suited to dealing with more than one person.
99 agility plus keeping my equip weight under 60% is quite nice for mobility, but it's hard sometimes to not spaz out and accidentally roll into enemy attacks. I can't wait until I can upgrade my rapier some more, but I haven't seen any titanite drops (need another slab or two) since the forest of the giants.

amazeballs posted:

Hmm what a weirdo. Reminds me of this hilarious guy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ecS0yKnNLA

Hah, I can't wait until I get some Hello and Very Good carvings. And I should go around some lower level areas finding people to give some excess gear to, I've got an elite knight armour and a weapon or two that someone new might want.

Crazy Achmed fucked around with this message at 11:27 on Feb 10, 2016

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

amazeballs posted:

This happened to me also and it was scary as gently caress. I'm just avoiding that side of the zone because I honestly have no idea how I would deal with the situation and not die miserably.
Since I came to LB via the Pursuer fight that was the third drat time he appeared. Luckily he decided to do his dark spell thing so the fight went quicker then the previous ones.

I legitimately want to play this game with there being zero animations for legs. Just to see everything scoot about like they're on segways.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
I dunno what it is about the Pursuer's pursuers spells but he has some serious hip/pelvic gyrations when he does it.

Orv
May 4, 2011
He's very into his job.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

HGH posted:

I dunno what it is about the Pursuer's pursuers spells but he has some serious hip/pelvic gyrations when he does it.

Only his crotch can generate enough power to launch dark fireballs.

E: I'm sure there's some 100% serious theory video out there reaching too far to say that everything the Pursuer does is actually sexual in nature.

Golden Goat fucked around with this message at 12:33 on Feb 10, 2016

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Golden Goat posted:

Only his crotch can generate enough power to launch dark fireballs.

E: I'm sure there's some 100% serious theory video out there reaching too far to say that everything the Pursuer does is actually sexual in nature.
When he impales you with his big weapon he gets insanely worked up and horney.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

the bag of weapons on his back signifies the numerous sexual conquests he has made

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

amazeballs posted:

This one is amazing and beats the aldia's keep one.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

His blade glows white and what normally gives that effect? Aromatic Ooze, and what was that originally called? Sticky White Stuff.

But hey that's just a theory,
A GAME THEORY

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers

Golden Goat posted:

Sticky White Stuff.

:quagmire:

It's tonight's edition of late-night International Lag Souls 2: reaching 4.9+million SM on NG - Sunbro Edition.

Just trying to get 30 (at 27 or so) loving sunlight medals. I would be using the agape ring if that was an actual complaint, but when I went from 210K from Sinh, spent that on levels, and then quickly got 250K again repeatedly trying to help a guy beat Ivory King with only 1 Loyce Knight, I started clearing out the shops of boss armors and soul trade weapons for dress-up. These things are super loving expensive for NG drop rates.

As for the lag comment. I have seen some weird stuff in the past day or two. Bosses sprinting as they oozed across the floor, dying to bigger teleport backstabs, and well generally more teleporting than I'm used to I suppose.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Golden Goat posted:

Since I came to LB via the Pursuer fight that was the third drat time he appeared. Luckily he decided to do his dark spell thing so the fight went quicker then the previous ones.

I legitimately want to play this game with there being zero animations for legs. Just to see everything scoot about like they're on segways.

You want to play as a falconer then?

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

For whatever reason I can't kill the smelter demon 2.0 in the iron king dlc. I keep loving up the timing for rolling away from his attacks. Bleh.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

double nine posted:

For whatever reason I can't kill the smelter demon 2.0 in the iron king dlc. I keep loving up the timing for rolling away from his attacks. Bleh.

He fakes out his attacks, you gotta wait til he's commited to the swing before you roll

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

The worst offender is the run to Smelter 2.0. To me iron passage is by far the worst zone in the game, even worse than frigid outskirts.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Iron passage gets me so mad even when just thinking about it

it's like they let fans of the game create a side area, so the fans just tried to make it as "DARK SOULS!" as possible by shoving bullshit into every orifice

Alrighty, so, the enemies can attack you while you backstab one of their kin, uhhh fume sorcerers with their AoE lightning spells yeah that sounds good, ooh gotta add in the astrologists..lets give em an instant fat-flop AoE spell so that the enemies can just piledrive you over and over

Ok, now for the next part of the area..I dunno, second verse same as the first, but with an added ghost archer. Third area, just add an iron golem to the formula :effort:

I still prefer it to the optional boss(es) from the Sunken King DLC.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

DS2 does cross the line between 'challenging' and 'bullshit' alot more often than DS1, I get the impression the development team really brought into the 'Dark Souls is friggin hard!' meme and deliberately tried to make the game frustrating in a way it's predecessors weren't.

Basically, every time I enter a large open area with ranged enemies constantly firing staggering projectiles and moving forward to deal with one enemy aggros several more and then a dark spirit invades whilst you're trying to deal with everything else I really want something unpleasant to happen to the designers

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
I found Iron Passage. Everyone was right, a boss run you can't actually run through because every enemy has super tracking on every attack. Smelter himself is easy except for his occasional "woops I hit you even though you were nowhere near the attack, take critical damage and die" nonsense. That and only doing 100 a hit with a +10 winged spear. :/

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

A Steampunk Gent posted:

DS2 does cross the line between 'challenging' and 'bullshit' alot more often than DS1, I get the impression the development team really brought into the 'Dark Souls is friggin hard!' meme and deliberately tried to make the game frustrating in a way it's predecessors weren't.

Basically, every time I enter a large open area with ranged enemies constantly firing staggering projectiles and moving forward to deal with one enemy aggros several more and then a dark spirit invades whilst you're trying to deal with everything else I really want something unpleasant to happen to the designers

SOTFS is super duper bad about this because they tripled the enemy count in nearly every zone. The new end of the Gutter is hellish if the Gutter Denizen phantom spawns in cause you have to tango not only with a phantom running around at super speed, spamming Crystal Soul Spears and Soul Greatswords, but also a good dozen or so of the hollows with the swords that do like, 700 damage for some reason. The encounter before Demon of Song is pretty bullshit too cause there's really no safe place to stand cause there are casters slamming you from every direction, there are healers in there so you can't shoot at them, and melee is a death sentence because it aggros a bunch of Archdrake knights, spawns Kindalur, and you have to deal with them in deep water.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
The hollows that do extra damage have dark magic on their weapons. The gutter phantom did not spawn for me though, just the butcher up above.

The Iron Keep runup changes sure were interesting. :v:

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Smelter Demon is now actually easier than his own runup

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

turtlecrunch posted:

The gutter phantom did not spawn for me though, just the butcher up above.

You have to light every torch to make him spawn.

Also, maybe it's just my long love affair with Nethack talking, but I don't have an issue with encounters you have to snipe/change tactics entirely to get by, as long as there aren't a ton in a row (looking at you, first two bonfires of Brume Tower). The first half of Iron Keep is similarly bad since you just can't get at the second ambush without triggering it.