Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
There's one actual jump scare.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ledenko
Aug 10, 2012

Phone posted:

There's one actual jump scare.

Two, if you count the freaky noise.

Also, drawing faces is not exactly modeling them, especially when it's an obvious cartoon look.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

awesome-express posted:

Find the supply box that's a bit north of that burned up tree with the ski. I thought my game had glitched out as well, but you just have to find that thing in the spoiler

Cottonwood maybe-bug spoilers: Do you remember if you found the supply box before you got the task? I made a point of finding and opening all the boxes as I got into each area, and I'd opened that one before I got the hey-look-at-the-tree-chart message.

Simsmagic
Aug 3, 2011

im beautiful

Thinking about it. I think the ending would have sat better with me if the story didn't try to imply that there's anything bigger going on than just some old hermit listening in to your comms. No government conspiracies, no secret experiments, just some lonely old guy out there who doesn't want to be found. Especially since all Ned really wanted was some entertainment from you two, there's no reason for him to have big monitoring equipment and notes on you and every conversation you've had.

PTizzle
Oct 1, 2008
Really enjoyed this. I'm not usually one for huge sessions so finishing this in one sitting (4 and a bit hours) was out of the ordinary for me. Just couldn't go to bed without seeing how it wrapped up.

I agree that it could have used another hour or so of the more mundane (comparatively) aspects of the lifestyle, really building on Delilah being a lifeline etc and hammering home how there wasn't usually a heap going on. Having said that, I thought the relationship they did develop felt well written and the interactions felt earned. The setting was wonderful and the atmosphere really set it apart from other 'walking simulators', I felt like Henry was really a part of the world and the isolation aspects worked a lot better because of it. It would have been nice to see them have a bit more fun with the mechanics but I dig that this is definitely a game where pacing and narrative were prioritised.

As for the whole mystery thing I'm actually glad they didn't go with some big conspiracy. It felt personal and that suited everything that had come before it. It was fairly easy to pick what was going to happen before it did but it didn't impact the amount of tension and urgency for me. I was pretty impressed with how much the game instilled a sense of paranoia in the player (as opposed to just telling us what the characters were feeling). Again I guess this has a lot to do with having a well used setting! I won't argue that it could have been better executed though, I think the idea of the ending is solid and thematically appropriate but the way it actually plays out in game is awkwardly handled and one of the few parts I found to be poorly paced. The best part of the ending sequence was getting to wander up to Delilah's lookout point, that turned it around for me.

Doubt it's a game that'll stick with me too much down the line but I was pretty hyped for it and it didn't disappoint. Keen to see what the studio works on next.

As an aside I played through it on the PS4 and had one total crash and a bunch of minor frame rate issues. It wasn't as smooth as I would have liked but it didn't take my mind off the game very often. Definitely seems like a ymmv deal from reading other people's opinions from various sources.

e: I felt like I explored a fair bit but I totally missed the turtle. I remember it from one of the pre-release videos now that I think about it.

PTizzle fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Feb 10, 2016

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

NaDy posted:

Ned definitely did wrong poo poo like covering up his son's death and messing with Henry and Delilah and setting fire to the forest but I don't think he killed him. I just think Brian didn't like climbing, Ned kept trying to get him into it because he wanted to bond with his son (see all the father/son stuff Ned kept in his hideout) but they just got unlucky which can happen when you go climbing and it was just a really unfortunate accident.

continuing ending chat:

That was my interpretation too until I remembered this note, found with the climbing anchors and written by Brian, which contradicts Ned's version of Brian's accidental death by loose anchor on the tape he leaves for you. I tried embedding the images with timg tags but they show up in post preview even in through spoiler tags, so I'm linking them to be safe.

http://i.imgur.com/8kEEX34.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/1PM7aY6.png

If Ned had said something vague like climbing accident or the rope broke, an accident is still possible, but he specifically says Brian didn't set the anchor right. He's lying about something he doesn't know you know, which doesn't bode well for his innocence. I don't know why he did it, or why he kept Brian's stuff, but he murdered his kid.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

So I don't have a console or computer that can play this, and probably won't anytime soon. Am I getting more or less the same experience just by watching a Let's Play?

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Jim's now a Blind Cave Salamander!

Tommofork posted:

If Ned had said something vague like climbing accident or the rope broke, an accident is still possible, but he specifically says Brian didn't set the anchor right. He's lying about something he doesn't know you know, which doesn't bode well for his innocence. I don't know why he did it, or why he kept Brian's stuff, but he murdered his kid.

Brian would repeatedly lose his pitons to try and get out of Rock Climbing but that doesn't indicate that Ned didn't have more pitons to continue to try to get Brian climbing. I absolutely did not get the sense that Ned was lying about Brian's death at all, just the fact that he was a lovely father for forcing Brian to go climbing over and over after Brian wasn't interested

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Jim's now a Blind Cave Salamander!

I also had a ton of issues with the game on PC.

Immediately after clearing rubble inside the cave and climbing through, I fell through the world and had to load. Lots of times the dialog cut out on me for no clear reason, such as when Delilah asked me to guess why she was out there. When trying to get to the Cottonwood tree, I managed to take a path that locked me to the rocks and dirt near the tree with invisible walls surrounding me, and it took me a long time to find my way back to normal terrain. Super annoyed that, with how flexible your relationship with Delilah seems to be, it sounds like the endings are very similar. I could understand the Ned/Brian storyline being the same regardless, but your culpability for the fires, if you stick with Delilah, and decisions on how to address the cops should have changed based on my responses.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

Atoramos posted:

Brian would repeatedly lose his pitons to try and get out of Rock Climbing but that doesn't indicate that Ned didn't have more pitons to continue to try to get Brian climbing. I absolutely did not get the sense that Ned was lying about Brian's death at all, just the fact that he was a lovely father for forcing Brian to go climbing over and over after Brian wasn't interested

You find the note next to a bunch of pitons after you escape from the cave. The note says they are Ned's pitons. Brian doesn't repeatedly lose his pitons, he stole Ned's and hid them to avoid climbing. Yes, Ned could have had more but Brian was a smart kid, I'd take his dead word that he swiped all of them over crazy hermit's convenient explanation.

e: especially when said hermit doesn't know you know about the note

PTizzle
Oct 1, 2008

Raxivace posted:

So I don't have a console or computer that can play this, and probably won't anytime soon. Am I getting more or less the same experience just by watching a Let's Play?

I feel like you'd lose out on a fair bit in terms of not making choices and having exploration limited by what the LPer chooses to do but you'll get the majority of the experience, at least story and dialogue wise. If you're just keen on seeing what happens I'd say go for it if there's no way for you to play it yourself in the foreseeable future.

I will say that a lot of enjoyment personally did come from being able to soak up the atmosphere which you'd probably miss out on in an LP.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I personally feel that there is no True Reliable Narrator in this game, even as you as Henry. I don't think Ned is some crazy loose cannon, but instead is selfish and doesn't do what's best for him or Brian. Delilah swings back and forth between being a reliable narrator and not, which I feel is fair and definitely is in line with her character as a whole. As Henry, you have the option to withhold or tell half-truths throughout the game, thereby making Henry an unreliable narrator towards Delilah.

A lot of the Ned/Brian story arc hinges on attributing malice towards negligence. I'm not going to rush to defend Ned not being a lovely parent, but I don't see it as Ned actively murdering his son. His coping mechanisms are broken and he opts to live as a hermit in the woods for his escapism. He's ultimately responsible for what happened and it definitely doesn't excuse his behavior overall; it just explains it.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
There was another little thing I think it was a shame it wasn't really expanded on: the midnight radio call where Henry thinks he's talking to Julia, and the game presents it straight, but he's actually calling up Delilah. I thought that was interesting and foreboding, but sadly it never comes up again.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Sean Vanaman just posted some updates on a PS4 patch and the issues surrounding the game on PS4 here https://www.reddit.com/r/Firewatch/comments/44s8no/sounds_like_significant_ps4_performance_issues/czslnhe

quote:

Hey Guys,
Couple'a updates. One is that we're in pipe with SCEA to get a patch into the game but it's like 99% strange content fixes we've found as lots of people play the game on PC. So that's coming but we're at the mercy of the console patch process.
Secondly, we're currently talking with both Sony and Unity (the creators of the engine the game is built in) to continue to optimize performance of the game on console. Unfortunately, it's a process that requires all three parties to be involved unlike a typical bug that we can quickly fix on our own (we're pretty good at that). We'll definitely be patching all platforms with every little content and performance fix we can find so folks can rest assured we're doing everything we can (and WILL for a long time. We want the game that's on Steam/PS4/anywhere to be the best possible version even after we're out out of the excitement of the launch window).

quote:

No, for sure.
I've played the game for hundreds of hours on PS4 and don't believe the issues are severe. There are some hiccups but if I/we didn't feel like it was a good product we would not be selling it. You can see the game running on that GameTrailers video and make the call for yourself, obviously.
The small issues we have we were not able to get in-front of the right people until it was 100% obvious they were going to ship. (IE: getting folks from Sony/Unity together to say "Hey, this isn't just us, this is engine code" happened too late because it's a not a super easy thing to get to happen) We could've built a significantly DIFFERENT game (a game with levels that load all over the place) but we chose to build what we did, instead.
There's also stuff I just can't talk about -- in regards to some reviews being played on early code and that not being stated in the review, and how things are actually going in regards to engine/platform performance. We're one of the first big Unity5 games on console so everyone is learning a lot!
Also, if you buy the game on PS4 and take huge issue with the performance, DM here. (Wish they had the Steam refund feature!)

Hopefully it gets patched soon so the game can run smoothly on PS4 instead of hitching the gently caress all over the place. Also camera move speed and stuff.

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

There was another little thing I think it was a shame it wasn't really expanded on: the midnight radio call where Henry thinks he's talking to Julia, and the game presents it straight, but he's actually calling up Delilah. I thought that was interesting and foreboding, but sadly it never comes up again.

Delilah asks you about this later though? I think this is where I told her about Julia but might not be sure.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

There was a conversation about it later where Delilah tells Henry he called her on the radio, half asleep, and she thought it was sweet that he was talking to Julia and didn't want to wake him.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

I mean besides acknowledging that it happened.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

What else are you looking for? A Henry losing his mind plot point?

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

Tommofork posted:

What else are you looking for? A Henry losing his mind plot point?

That's one possible way of going about it, though it wouldn't fit very well with the existing narrative. But honestly I don't know what I'm looking for, exactly. It just feels strange that it happens so suddenly, then Delilah mentions it two weeks later, and... Henry doesn't acknowledge what she said at all, and it never gets mentioned again. It feels like the beginning of a plot point that never materialized. Henry does wonder later on if he's losing his mind and imagining everything - that would be a nice point to tie in with the radio call, but he never mentions it.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Just finished, really enjoyed the game. Game was gorgeous, a few stutters here and there but not being a twitch game it was fine.

Did anyone NOT name the turtle Turt Reynolds?

I kind of screwed myself with the camera. I took lots of pictures of "evidence" so instead of vistas, I have like 2 pictures of dead kid, 6 pictures of the site in the woods, etc. Definitely going to do a replay, get nice shots and order the prints.

I am really curious what hidden stuff I missed, I got really invested in the main plot so didn't explore much.

I do think the ending was pitch perfect for the game, but I also loved Gone Home when lots of folks hated it. Firewatch is a game where we get to be someone else for a little bit, and it's adventure that ends up being mundane, like reality. You don't get the girl, save the forest, or fight the fire in the end. You're just Henry.

Definitely would have liked to get closer to the fire, or have the fire be more antagonistic.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Elendil004 posted:

Definitely would have liked to get closer to the fire, or have the fire be more antagonistic.

Ha ha, I was thinking the whole time during the "end sequence" following the hidden Ned camp reveal that "this would be so much more exciting if I had fire chasing me". Heck, maybe it did at one point? But I get it, the mundanity of it is the point.

I wish there was more day-to-day segments in the game before jumping into the conspiracy.

Slanderer
May 6, 2007
I played a couple hours last night until just after I found the wave receiver, and I'm loving it so far. The dialog system feels organic and great and leads to DYNAMIC BANTER which is really cool. At the point I stopped playing, I loved seeing all of my saved notes/letters taped up on the wall, which was really cool for reasons that I can't really express.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
I like the ending a lot more now that the blueballs from the bait and switch have worn off, but I still feel like it was a pretty rushed and poorly realized solution to the mystery. I really love the idea behind it, that all of the conspiracy poo poo was just your paranoia, but the reveal still could have been a pretty big "Oh poo poo" moment that would work well to wrap everything up if it was handled a bit better. I didn't even realize what happened until a good bit after the reveal since I was still so engrossed in the conspiracy plotline and I felt robbed of any sense of closure.

Eskaton
Aug 13, 2014
I'm really annoyed.

The game ends with the same thought you get at the beginning of the game: "Hmm, seems like these people are trying to escape their problems."

That's some great character development.

Also, the person you spent the entire summer speaking to doesn't even want to casually meet you? Why..?

Why did Henry follow all the things placed by Ned when he was obviously leading you around?

Why did Ned trash our tower before knowing we went into the cave the first time?

Eskaton fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Feb 10, 2016

Hometown Slime Queen
Oct 26, 2004

the GOAT
I'm also in the 'ending falls completely flat' camp. I loved the atmosphere and the voice acting, but the plot turning out to be poo poo and then people going "BUT THAT'S WHY IT'S SO GOOD!" kind of makes me give it a big thumbs down. They had some awesome moments of genuine tension, but then the ending was completely rushed through and your revelation amounts to a "Oh." and then it's over. Even if they did decide to go with that plotline, there was SO much more they could have done with it. And they didn't.

I liked walking around looking at pretty art and listening to Delilah bitch about things for 3 hours, but I wish I hadn't paid that much to do it.

Eskaton
Aug 13, 2014

QUEEN CAUCUS posted:

I'm also in the 'ending falls completely flat' camp. I loved the atmosphere and the voice acting, but the plot turning out to be poo poo and then people going "BUT THAT'S WHY IT'S SO GOOD!" kind of makes me give it a big thumbs down. They had some awesome moments of genuine tension, but then the ending was completely rushed through and your revelation amounts to a "Oh." and then it's over. Even if they did decide to go with that plotline, there was SO much more they could have done with it. And they didn't.

I liked walking around looking at pretty art and listening to Delilah bitch about things for 3 hours, but I wish I hadn't paid that much to do it.

Yeah, I wasn't expecting or wanting an X-files thing, but this is just the most "meh" ending they could've had.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

PTizzle posted:

I feel like you'd lose out on a fair bit in terms of not making choices and having exploration limited by what the LPer chooses to do but you'll get the majority of the experience, at least story and dialogue wise. If you're just keen on seeing what happens I'd say go for it if there's no way for you to play it yourself in the foreseeable future.

I will say that a lot of enjoyment personally did come from being able to soak up the atmosphere which you'd probably miss out on in an LP.

Well, it turns out my crummy laptop (Which is admirably held together by duct-tape in an effort destined to fail) can actually run Firewatch. It doesn't run anywhere near as smoothly as I'd like it to...but it does work. I'm looking forward to discussing this game with y'all after I'm done with the game now.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Eskaton posted:

I'm really annoyed.

Why did Ned trash our tower before knowing we went into the cave the first time?

Your other complains are valid, but Ned didn't trash your tower. That was the lovely teenage girls (they stole your sheets.)

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
Ending chat

I honestly didn't mind the ending. I minded how the game approached the ending.

Like a mundane storyline with mundane paths works. I liked Gone Home, and that was basically that. Go home and figure out what's up with your dysfunctional family. No big revelations happen, you don't assume the plot is going to be supernatural, and even the implication of suicide right near the end was accidental according to the devs. The whole thing was SUPPOSED to be this really mundane story. And I loved that!

With Firewatch, I assumed the same thing at the start. This'd be a mundane, fairly boring game about chatting with Delilah and making choices. Fine, cool, I like that. When I saw the intro, I figured correctly the plot would tie back around to your treatment of your wife/growing as a person to take care of her better, which I liked. ( through like Ned's treatment of his son as a parallel for your treatment of your wife. He wasn't malicious, and he genuinely loved his son, he just failed to understand proper coping methods. )

But then they threw in the swerve of conspiracy, and dedicated a good 2ish hours to it in a 3-4 hour long game. X File aliens, government conspiracy, a serial killer? Who could it actually be! And they just kept hyping it up, and hyping it up, so at the end when it just turns out to be Ned, it's super anticlimactic in a really bad way. Had this game literally been 2-3 hours of dicking around in the woods, talking about the past, past fires, etc etc etc that'd have been fine! Make it so if you never go into the cave, you never find the body, so at the end you just fly out after working the trails for a summer. If you do go into the cave though, you can find the body, which eventually leads you to realizing what happened/it suddenly has a bit more too it ending wise.

As dumb as it sounds, it's too "gamefied" in ways I didn't like. I still appreciate it, and want more games like this, so I support it like that, just eh.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

I was annoyed there were only 5 cheevos. I would have liked a Christmas Duck-esque few that were fun.

Are there any branching events or is it all audio based? For example, the camp girls I assume trash your place whether you're nice to them or a total jerk, right?

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
I really enjoyed everything about Firewatch except the story.

Honestly if it had just played it entirely straight with me chatting with my terrible joke telling boss while I try to stop darn kids starting fires, occasionally trying to convince each other we're not terrible people for running away from our problems I actually would have enjoyed it more. The game stops being interesting the moment things are too urgent for you and Delilah to chat poo poo anymore.

In short, more of this.

Fans fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Feb 10, 2016

Eskaton
Aug 13, 2014

dmboogie posted:

Your other complains are valid, but Ned didn't trash your tower. That was the lovely teenage girls (they stole your sheets.)

And their site was also trashed and our sheets were sort of plopped there... Screams Ned to me.

I really wanted to like the story, but I just can't.

Eskaton fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Feb 10, 2016

Hometown Slime Queen
Oct 26, 2004

the GOAT
Honestly they could have gone with a mystery like 'Who is starting all these fires?! It's up to Delilah and our new lookout to find out!' and THEN it could turn into this tragic story about the crazy hermit in the woods and then you unravel his past and what happens with his son, and never go with this weird and unfinished route with the paranoia and tracking devices and whatnot. I just don't think the story flowed to that ending at all, it was all this hype and then...barely a MOMENT where the story goes 'Actually it's just Ned' and you look at Ned's camp, and then you leave.

Like, choose a theme and either stick with it, or at least do your drat bait-and-switch WELL.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Eskaton posted:

And their site was also trashed and our sheets were sort of plopped there... Screams Ned to me.

I really wanted to like the story, but I just can't.

well I took the note to mean they'd destroyed their own campsite on purpose to get you in trouble.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Mokinokaro posted:

well I took the note to mean they'd destroyed their own campsite on purpose to get you in trouble.

Could have legit been a bear or other sort of wild animal, too.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

Actually, how did the teens get back to the tower before Henry did to trash it? The closest way back to the tower is through the canyon and the cave, i.e. the way Henry takes immediately after scaring them off. The way up My lovely Boss Is Going To Get Me Killed Hill (:colbert:) is unpassable, and to boot, the two are now sans clothing. The most likely way for them to go after being discovered is back to their tent on the other side of the area. It's way more likely Ned was the one who trashed our tower. We know he's in the area - we run into him on the way back.

Eskaton
Aug 13, 2014

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

Actually, how did the teens get back to the tower before Henry did to trash it? The closest way back to the tower is through the canyon and the cave, i.e. the way Henry takes immediately after scaring them off. The way up My lovely Boss Is Going To Get Me Killed Hill (:colbert:) is unpassable, and to boot, the two are now sans clothing. The most likely way for them to go after being discovered is back to their tent on the other side of the area. It's way more likely Ned was the one who trashed our tower. We know he's in the area - we run into him on the way back.

The teens have special Thelma and Louise superpowers.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Probably the best game I'm never going to play again.

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

My lovely Boss Is Going To Get Me Killed Hill (:colbert:)

The correct name and I will brook no argument on this.

Eskaton
Aug 13, 2014
If Ned has the keys to the cave, he knows Henry didn't see his dead kid, so... he has no reason to go after him anyway.

Robiben
Jul 19, 2006

Life is...weird
I posted this in the GB thread but i'll put it here as well.

So after having a sleep, I'm bumping Firewatch up to a 4/5. I'd be tempted to go higher but it wouldn't be honest with my feelings right after I finished playing.

As mentioned it looks loving amazing. I'm hoping that more games come out looking even better because its a shoe in for best looking game. Olly Moss really nailed it. And of course the Chris Remo music that was in the game really worked well.

I liked the ending as well, although the story had its issues. Really the thing that worked for me was the Henry and Delilah relationship. The actual story is about Henry running away from his sick wife and hiding in the wilderness. Based on the conversations you have with Delilah you shape Henry into the person he becomes after the game is over. My Henry stayed loyal to his sick wife and went to go see her. My Delilah moved with her sister to Santa Fe. I believe that your prior conversations change the end dialogue as Delilah was the one who said Henry should go back to his wife and I had been pretty wife heavy during the game. There was definitely times that I saw you could take things further with Delilah, even hook up with her. That was the key thing in the story for me.

The whole conspiracy/Ned angle I feel fell a flat. There is a good nugget of story to be had in that stuff but I feel it doesn't quite make it. I did feel for Ned who accidentally got his son Brian killed but I felt like it added a component to the story that was not needed and kinda dragged it down a little. They dangle a huge conspiracy in front of you and deliberately make it out to be nothing which I enjoyed but it felt like it took away from the Henry/Delilah relationship. It did reveal some good stuff about Delilah though so its not all bad.

My favourite moment was when you finally go to Delilah's tower and see all her personal effects that she mentioned and her drawing of Henry. It was a really sweet touch and made the end conversation impactful because it was that moment I had to decide if after all this time Henry was willing to let his wife go and be with Delilah or if he was going to stay faithful. Made it a hard decision.

Overall it was pretty good. I'd say its worth the money but that's a personal opinion. I do wish the game had been longer if only to get more great dialogue with Delilah but it is what it is. Part of my dollars are going to support the Idle Thumbs people I like so I don't mind paying a bit more for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eskaton
Aug 13, 2014

Robiben posted:

There was definitely times that I saw you could take things further with Delilah, even hook up with her. That was the key thing in the story for me.

Not even that materializes. Your ending is the only one that mostly works.

• Locked thread