Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier
This is a good conversation and I'm glad to have read it. I feel my G.A.S. being stymied. Thank you. :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx
Realistically the only soft synths I still use right now are Bazille, Alchemy, and Spark. I guess Gadget as well if I don't feel like firing up a hardware synth or I'm not near my desk, oh and module for piano / ep stuff.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

If you find a really good patch on a modular synth, how do you save it for later? I've always imagined this involving a photo (or two)

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

a template you design in paint.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Progressive JPEG posted:

If you find a really good patch on a modular synth, how do you save it for later? I've always imagined this involving a photo (or two)

a friend takes a B&W printout of his Modular Grid layout and just draws on it with colored markers. It... sort of works? Enough that at least he can identify knob positions enough to recreate the patching.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

Progressive JPEG posted:

Kill me

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Just never touch it again and buy a new one.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

Progressive JPEG posted:

Plug it into your DAW, sample every note, and turn it into a Kontakt instrument.

Scatterfold
Nov 4, 2008

Progressive JPEG posted:

Either a photograph (quick but less reliable) or draw on a template (slow but more detailed) or, like I do, just record it, maybe a couple of times in different takes, then unplug everything and start again. Treat it like some kind of Cagean excercise in zen and wipe the slate clean.

(Most of the "ah, that's interesting/clever" stuff you remember intuitively anyway.)

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Do your softsynths not support exporting patch parameters to plain text, or at least a binary file? Or is this a hardware thing? If so, :classiclol:

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Pollyanna posted:

Do your softsynths not support exporting patch parameters to plain text, or at least a binary file? Or is this a hardware thing? If so, :classiclol:

They're talking about hardware modulars here. Any softsynth that doesn't allow for patch memory should be wiped from the face of the earth.

Though I say this on the tail of iZotope releasing two effect plugins with honest-to-God paper recall sheets, so I guess anything is possible.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
In the manual for the izotope delay there's a few patches drawn out (which reminds me of guitar pedal manuals), I quite like that method actually, as you turn knobs you find out what they do and can come across some cool sounds on the way. Note I haven't actually tried saving a patch yet, using Cubase so there's ways for me round it if the vst itself doesn't (which I agree it should)

AxeBreaker
Jan 1, 2005
Who fucking cares?

Pollyanna posted:

It's a hardware thing, most specifically a modular/analog purist thing. On modular synths, the patch is just a physical arrangement of cables and knob positions. Only one modular that I know of (Buchla, lol) can memorize knob positions but for the cables you're still on your own. Many of the classic synths were invented before patch memory and MIDI were things, so they rely entirely on the positions of knobs and sliders. Modern replicas, like the MS-20 and ARP Odessey, are the same- they have MIDI and USB, but no patch memory. There is a certain subset of synth players that thinks presets are bad, because people aren't forced to create their own sounds and just use what the company provides. So even some modern synths are 100% analog for everything but MIDI, like the Arturia mini- and Micro brute. Arturia sells layout sheets that you write on with a pencil for the MiniBrute. A lot of the really low end stuff, Volcas and Meeblips and the like, are so simple they don't need patches.

But for the vast majority of digital and hybrid synths in the MIDI era, you can at least dump patches via MIDI SYSEX. Even everybody least favorite VA synth, the MicroKorg, can do this. Most have editors or at least binary patch storage- all my digital synths do.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever
Headsup, elektron is blowing out stock of the silver boxes. May or may not be your last chance to pickup a mono or md brand new. They dropped the prices quite a bit.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

AxeBreaker posted:

Only one modular that I know of (Buchla, lol) can memorize knob positions but for the cables you're still on your own.

Are the knobs motorized to go back where they were, or do they just lack markings for what setting theyre pointing at?

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea

Progressive JPEG posted:

Are the knobs motorized to go back where they were, or do they just lack markings for what setting theyre pointing at?

The knob settings switch to the saved value, but if you move it it jumps back to being controlled by the position. Lots of hardware synths with presets work like that.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

cubicle gangster posted:

The knob settings switch to the saved value, but if you move it it jumps back to being controlled by the position. Lots of hardware synths with presets work like that.

Feels like knobs reporting inaccurate values would get confusing/annoying. For buchla money they could've thrown in some motorized knobs imo

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

Progressive JPEG posted:

ive found it by practicing with a limited set of modules, so its easier to remember. my memorys pretty good, and for patching its good enough for me.
of course i do spend more time than i should daydreaming of patching my gear so it comes easily, but i am not too picky about recreating sounds so exactly, if i make a cooler sound trying to get the old one, that brings a smile not a frown. i guess what i mean is, knowing your instruments well goes a long way, and it might be enough. if its not, i occasionally used graph paper to map the connections between my mofos &c, and it was, like memory, kinda inexact but fruitful; 'anything cool enough to write all that down must sound good, and ill find some cool neighbor sounds too' thinking and staring at the things long enough to mark it all down etching it into my mind
of course, cell fone cameras are a lot better nowadays, so its worth taking a few pictures to see if youll go back to em

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier
I sometimes take pictures of my MS-20, but I never find myself looking at them again. It's a security blanket -- then I feel more comfortable resetting all the knobs and trying something else.

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

Most of the time the knob is a pot connected directly to the pcb so if you want true analog with motorized knobs it would require making custom hardware which is out of reach for a lot of synth makers.

0dB
Jan 3, 2009

Progressive JPEG posted:

If you find a really good patch on a modular synth

Trick question!

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
Anyone else with modulars find themselves quite regularly wondering why they didn't just get a normal synth?
Sat down trying to make something for 2 hours last night and came away with the conclusion that: I am poo poo, I dont have enough modules, why do I bother, i used to make so much more actual music, gently caress my back hurts.

It's a lot of money i put into this synth and for that I could get a whole shitload of other hardware, a slightly more musical synth and a new computer. Am I just too practical to really get into modular?

W424
Oct 21, 2010

cubicle gangster posted:

Anyone else with modulars find themselves quite regularly wondering why they didn't just get a normal synth?
Sat down trying to make something for 2 hours last night and came away with the conclusion that: I am poo poo, I dont have enough modules, why do I bother, i used to make so much more actual music, gently caress my back hurts.

It's a lot of money i put into this synth and for that I could get a whole shitload of other hardware, a slightly more musical synth and a new computer. Am I just too practical to really get into modular?

I lost interest in mine about the time I got done building it, doesn't fit my workflow at all. Basically just using it to replace instruments here and there when the track is done and maybe recording some drones. Or maybe I just need another row...

Jerry Bindle
May 16, 2003
Just like everything else in the world, people like modulars for different reasons. For example, I work with a guy that produces modular synth systems. I listened to one of his songs once, it was completely amusical but he was really excited about all the effects he was doing. If you're not able to get out of your synth what you want, find something else imo. I had a monomachine, which could make about any noise in the world, the thing is awesome, but I couldn't figure out how to make it musical. I swapped it for an OP-1, with which I get a lot more music down even though the sound engine is a lot less capable.

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

Someone should make an app that organizes patches. Take a photo and record a C3 sample (which could be quickly played back with a basic keyboard). Meta-tag that thing and share to a global audience.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
I think if I sold it off i could get a matrix brute and analog rythm with some change left over. I've only had the thing 8 months and was pining for one for years before this, feel so guilty.

good jovi
Dec 11, 2000

'm pro-dickgirl, and I VOTE!

cubicle gangster posted:

I think if I sold it off i could get a matrix brute and analog rythm with some change left over. I've only had the thing 8 months and was pining for one for years before this, feel so guilty.

If you're actually in it to make music, that sounds like a much better setup.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Sometimes I'm glad I'm too cheap to go modular and this thread helps.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Modular patches to me grow organically. I may start with some "what if I do this" idea, or think about emulating a VST patch or something, and along the way inevitably get sidetracked when I start exploring. I never end up getting what I expected but that's alright -- it's fun as hell, and that's why I got into music in the first place. Sometimes it's a dead end and I toss it, sometimes I get something I really like. Wednesday night led to a mambria type sequence I liked enough to record for over an hour.

I have learned how to patch a relatively quick basic synth setup if I want to make Real Music, however.

Scatterfold
Nov 4, 2008

lol at the weird idea some of you have that people with modulars don't actually make any music with them; but also sry cubicle i know how much you (conceptually) love the stuff

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

cubicle gangster posted:

All gear is poo poo, hail Satan.

It's what you make of it. I use my modular to make straight-up VCO-VCF-VCA patches all the time, and I can build one in a couple of minutes, and I can get the kind of modulation and sound I want in the patch nearly as quickly on my modular as I can in a VST these days. I find myself dicking around with sounds a lot more on the modular than I did with VSTs, and I get lost in creating textural patches that self-generate for hours sometimes, but that's awesome - it's like riffing on a guitar. Practice, enjoyment, chilling.

A modular synth is to a VST / fixed-architecture synth as a modern laptop computer is to a papyrus scroll - if all you want to do is read the text, the scroll is a less distracting tool, and maybe a much superior tool in a lot of ways. The computer can still be used to read text, but it can also be used for a lot of other things.

When I want a 303 sound, I know how to patch one quickly. When I want an evolving pad, or a percussive FM sound, or a throbbing bass sound, I know how to patch them quickly.

When I want something that nobody has ever heard before, I'm glad that I don't have a 303 or a fixed-architecture synth.

All gear is poo poo. Hail Satan.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
It's less about not being able to use it, and more the fact that i've got 3.5k of gear that feels artificially limited to me.
Maybe if I spend another 3.5k on more modules i'll feel differently, but gently caress if I havent made any real music for a long time and i'm not feeling like it's made me any more creative than i used to be.
I make some interesting noises and effects with it, record them ready to use, start building a track around it and find myself having to re-make the modular sounds with 5 layers of vsts so that I have enough control over it to make it work in the music.

cubicle gangster fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Feb 11, 2016

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

Progressive JPEG posted:

There was only one synth with a fully motorized surface. It was a thought experiment by Vermona; it was called the Mephisto and it was a 6-voice polyphonic analog synth. It never made it.

There are controller keyboards with motorized faders (a CME controller keyboard I've seen a decade ago or so had it, Behringer was supposed to have one as well) but it's not common.

cubicle gangster posted:

To add to this: The default is that the value jumps back, but an Access Virus allows for instance that the knob doesn't do anything until it crosses the point where it was at, or that the value is scaled - instead of a sudden jump you get a gradual transition, albeit not as high-res as the controller usually is. And yes, people are used to it (it's basically Stockholm syndrome for a lot of equipment, nobody in their right mind would still tolerate zip disks but when you have antique samplers it's basically that or trying to build in a HxC floppy emulator)

In some cases the pots aren't pots but endless rotaries. Some really neat endless rotaries have LED rings so you can see the position they're at. Hartmann's Neuron even had endless sliders - scroll wheels with a LED bar. This increases the price quite a bit though.

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

cubicle gangster posted:

It's less about not being able to use it, and more the fact that i've got 3.5k of gear that feels artificially limited to me.
Maybe if I spend another 3.5k on more modules i'll feel differently, but gently caress if I havent made any real music for a long time and i'm not feeling like it's made me any more creative than i used to be.
I make some interesting noises and effects with it, record them ready to use, start building a track around it and find myself having to re-make the modular sounds with 5 layers of vsts so that I have enough control over it to make it work in the music.

Sounds like modular might not fit your workflow, or just generally doesn't make your juices flow. If it doesn't inspire you, sell it and move on to the next thing. Don't stew on it or throw a bunch more money at it, it's not worth it.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Scatterfold posted:

lol at the weird idea some of you have that people with modulars don't actually make any music with them; but also sry cubicle i know how much you (conceptually) love the stuff

I'm still super impressed when guys like Ansome and Surgeon use modular so well in their live techno sets.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea

net work error posted:

I'm still super impressed when guys like Ansome and Surgeon use modular so well in their live techno sets.

Yeah, he's got a super compact setup. Makes me feel like i'm just being a big baby about the whole thing.
https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=119567&start=all&postdays=0&postorder=asc&sid=f28c96fd66def4c40be976fe49e67caa

e: he also posted a set list. would have to listen closer to figure out whats just modular.

cubicle gangster fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Feb 12, 2016

AxeBreaker
Jan 1, 2005
Who fucking cares?

Progressive JPEG posted:

As another example, Electribe 2 and sampler have 16 parts or voice/sequence combos, each of which can store different values, sharing the same knobs for parameters. It's inevitable that your knobs and values get mismatched, and the groove box has 3 different options for dealing with this.

1. Jump: If you move a knob, the value immediately jumps to whatever point you moved. If the stored value is 64, and the knob is all the way up at 127, if you move it to 125 it'll go though 126 to 125.
2. Catch: With this mode you have to match the old value before it moves. Here, if you move the knob a little to 125, nothing happens. If you move it to 60 it'll pick up at 64 and move downwards.
3. Scale (I think): If you chose this mode, knob response is immediate, but scales relative to the knobs position until you hit the end. Here if you moved the knob from 127 to the middle position, your value would end up being 32.

I use 2 for everything, I just don't like the jumpiness of jump, even just fiddling around. You see each value on the display when it starts to change, but there's no light by the knob or anything. The knobs have lights in a ring beneath them, so I wonder why they don't do anything but light the knob.

My Blofeld and Ultranova have endless encoders to get around this, a feature that is love it or hate it. I like it. My Reface DX has slightly annoying touch sliders that make me really wish they had just stuck a touchscreen in there.

Goddammit my car payment makes it so I can't really GAS until I sell poo poo, scrap a car shell, or get a raise.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
More modular bullshit: got a Roland Demora (the modular delay effect) today and spent all of ten minutes with the actual delay before grabbing the customized and tearing the thing apart. The customized basically turns it into a virtual eurorack with a selection of submodules. Here's an example I made:

This is a dual-channel sample and hold that can use either an audio source or internal noise (cross-fadeable between white and pink), and triggers on either an external gate or an internal clock. This is pretty drat powerful for an S&H module... But it's a delay. Truly this is a golden age.

Scatterfold
Nov 4, 2008

net work error posted:

Yeah little tony surgeon definitely uses it v well; I think the album he just put out - From Farthest Known Objects - is all modular as well, if that's of interest.

Patricia is also good; and on a 'more pure' vein check out M Geddes Gengras and Robert Aiki Aubrey Lowe. I had shoved a load of urls into this post but for reasons totally fuckin beyond me they're not working; sorry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Laserjet 4P posted:

There was only one synth with a fully motorized surface. It was a thought experiment by Vermona; it was called the Mephisto and it was a 6-voice polyphonic analog synth. It never made it.

There are controller keyboards with motorized faders (a CME controller keyboard I've seen a decade ago or so had it, Behringer was supposed to have one as well) but it's not common.

Meanwhile in mixers..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJ1dhTtSU2A

quote:

In some cases the pots aren't pots but endless rotaries. Some really neat endless rotaries have LED rings so you can see the position they're at. Hartmann's Neuron even had endless sliders - scroll wheels with a LED bar. This increases the price quite a bit though.

That feels like a pretty reasonable way to get knobs with recall