Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Krispy Kareem posted:

Those numbers are a little misleading also because even in a hell-hole like Chicago, most of the city is relatively safe. So saying there are 15 murders per 100k people - while technically correct, is still not a great indicator of the crime rate. It's probably 1 or 2 murders per 100k for the 50% of people who live in nice areas and 30 per 100k in poor neighborhoods.

Which just goes to show how absolutely horrible it is living in those poorer areas and why mixed income housing is so important.

In general, even the national number is misleading. The United States is a really loving huge country with wildly disparate regions, to the point where sometimes it's hard to even think of it as a single nation except by the unusual number of American flags everywhere. If I remember correctly, the majority of murders in the United States are committed in a relatively small handful of urban areas; as that math showed, those 4 cities alone held nearly 10% of all murders.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Just wondering if anyone can post a link about the whole contested custody going to fathers thing. My roommate loves to tell me how women always get custody of children because the courts see them as innocent people instead of the lying vindictive sluts that they are, and I always like saying "well actually this shows that they aren't all lying vindictive sluts...."

Marius Pontmercy
Apr 2, 2007

Liberte
Egalite
Beyonce
I don't have the statistics to back it up, since I'm not a family lawyer, but I can tell you that feminists writ large are against having women as the default carer. It puts undue stress on someone who statistically doesn't make as much, child support payments are ineffective for making up that gap and it also assumes women are the "caregivers" while men are unable to raise children.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Eponine posted:

I don't have the statistics to back it up, since I'm not a family lawyer, but I can tell you that feminists writ large are against having women as the default carer. It puts undue stress on someone who statistically doesn't make as much, child support payments are ineffective for making up that gap and it also assumes women are the "caregivers" while men are unable to raise children.

I can offer a soft-second as someone who is friends with quite a few for-real peer-reviewed feminist academics. They're against those kind of assumptions as much as anyone, except when those assumptions are explained as "conspiracy against men to victimize them and steal their beer money."

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

SpliffClavin posted:

Your rape-baby might grow up to be in the Military, so stop being so loving selfish.

He has a lot of medals for someone so against killing.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Stoatbringer posted:

He has a lot of medals for someone so against killing.

Killing only counts when it's to unborn babies. As soon as you actually come out of the vagina, you're free game. Why do you think Republicans are so against social safety nets and women's rights?

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.
You also have to remember that he probably killed Arabs, and that's okay by this metric.

Cumslut1895
Feb 18, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
I wish he'd been killed as a baby. In a fire.

Llama Sex Wars
Oct 26, 2013

SpacePig posted:

You also have to remember that he probably killed Arabs, and that's okay by this metric.

The guy's an officer, he probably hasn't fired a gun off of a range in years.

PUGGERNAUT
Nov 14, 2013

I AM INCREDIBLY BORING AND SHOULD STOP TALKING ABOUT FOOD IN THE POLITICS THREAD

Eponine posted:

Feminist here! 100% agree. I think men getting custody less is sort of a self fulfilling prophecy - they assume that dads never get custody anyway, so why put their kids thru a custody battle?

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Madkal posted:

Just wondering if anyone can post a link about the whole contested custody going to fathers thing. My roommate loves to tell me how women always get custody of children because the courts see them as innocent people instead of the lying vindictive sluts that they are, and I always like saying "well actually this shows that they aren't all lying vindictive sluts...."

Here's a summary of a few studies done in Massachusetts and Los Angeles: http://www.villainouscompany.com/vcblog/archives/2012/04/child_supportcu.html

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

chitoryu12 posted:

Killing only counts when it's to unborn babies. As soon as you actually come out of the vagina, you're free game. Why do you think Republicans are so against social safety nets and women's rights?

This is always bizarre to me. It clearly states in the bible that when you're born, that the first breath you take is God breathing your soul into your body. No where in the bible does it claim that a child is alive before that point, and even go as far as treating them like property if you cause a woman to miscarry. The whole "save every baby!" thing only came about from Catholics freaking out after the Black Plague and started burning midwives as witches for knowing how to administer female birth control and abortion. Like, there isn't anything in the actual texts for this poo poo. It's all made up bullshit from extra books Catholics randomly found out in a ditch or something. For a bunch of people relying on faith for their guidance they sure as poo poo haven't even read the book they're basing it on.

Marius Pontmercy
Apr 2, 2007

Liberte
Egalite
Beyonce
Here's a hint: it's about controlling women and punishing them for having sex.

Cumslut1895
Feb 18, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Eponine posted:

Here's a hint: it's about controlling women and punishing them for having sex.

yeah, that guy who is glad he wasn't killed as a baby just hates women. He couldn't possibly have any other motive.

Dogfish
Nov 4, 2009

Horrible Smutbeast posted:

This is always bizarre to me. It clearly states in the bible that when you're born, that the first breath you take is God breathing your soul into your body. No where in the bible does it claim that a child is alive before that point, and even go as far as treating them like property if you cause a woman to miscarry. The whole "save every baby!" thing only came about from Catholics freaking out after the Black Plague and started burning midwives as witches for knowing how to administer female birth control and abortion. Like, there isn't anything in the actual texts for this poo poo. It's all made up bullshit from extra books Catholics randomly found out in a ditch or something. For a bunch of people relying on faith for their guidance they sure as poo poo haven't even read the book they're basing it on.

Close reading of the Bible by individuals is really more of a Protestant thing, FYI. Catholics have always been pretty into having the faithful directed by the edicts of the Church.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Cumslut1895 posted:

yeah, that guy who is glad he wasn't killed as a baby just hates women. He couldn't possibly have any other motive.

This but unironically.

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

Dogfish posted:

Close reading of the Bible by individuals is really more of a Protestant thing, FYI. Catholics have always been pretty into having the faithful directed by the edicts of the Church.

Okay, so I got it wrong about them finding books in the ditch and more about finding a random dude in a ditch and making him Pope.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Okay, so I got it wrong about them finding books in the ditch and more about finding a random dude in a ditch and making him Pope.

No, it's whoever gets the black egg.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

Krispy Kareem posted:

Those numbers are a little misleading also because even in a hell-hole like Chicago, most of the city is relatively safe. So saying there are 15 murders per 100k people - while technically correct, is still not a great indicator of the crime rate. It's probably 1 or 2 murders per 100k for the 50% of people who live in nice areas and 30 per 100k in poor neighborhoods.

Which just goes to show how absolutely horrible it is living in those poorer areas and why mixed income housing is so important.

The city I live in had the most murders in the entire country for a year, which sounds super scary. But when you looked at who was being murdered, almost all of it was gang related. So as a civilian, your odds of being murdered were still extremely low. Just happened to be a wave of gang-on-gang violence that year.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Perestroika posted:

Here's a summary of a few studies done in Massachusetts and Los Angeles: http://www.villainouscompany.com/vcblog/archives/2012/04/child_supportcu.html

Thanks for this!

Marius Pontmercy
Apr 2, 2007

Liberte
Egalite
Beyonce

Cumslut1895 posted:

So he's pro-rape, too.

Cumslut1895
Feb 18, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Eponine posted:

So he's pro-rape, too.

Clearly.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Kind of an odd thing to focus on. No where in the Bible does it talk about the morality of test tube babies either - but as far as I'm aware even fundies are cool with science helping them fill their quivers. The Bible doesn't talk about it because fetuses didn't exist in the land of Abraham except as something you'd see only if a pregnancy went horribly wrong. So yeah, in that time they'd assume you were only alive when you took your first breath because anything that came out otherwise was dead.

OptimusShr
Mar 1, 2008
:dukedog:

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Something is telling me that he wasn't buying Beyonce's albums before this.

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

Krispy Kareem posted:

Kind of an odd thing to focus on. No where in the Bible does it talk about the morality of test tube babies either - but as far as I'm aware even fundies are cool with science helping them fill their quivers. The Bible doesn't talk about it because fetuses didn't exist in the land of Abraham except as something you'd see only if a pregnancy went horribly wrong. So yeah, in that time they'd assume you were only alive when you took your first breath because anything that came out otherwise was dead.

Depends which sect of religion. A lot of fundies in Christian/Catholic/whatever I've known don't think invitro is okay with God because it's going against his natural order, and worse case, you've sinned and brought infertility on yourself. There's also weird cult like stuff that if you get pregnant with twins or triplets from the fertility treatments you better not abort regardless of the mother's or fetus health because again, all life is sacred even if it leads to everyone's death.

I think you underestimate how smart people were in the past too. There are several plants that are extinct now because the Romans found out they were effective birth control or abortifacients. They were pretty well versed in how babies were made and pushed out. Big changes to this knowledge only happened after the Black Plague so the every life was sacred thing wasn't even based in religion.

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.

Madkal posted:

Something is telling me that he wasn't buying Beyonce's albums before this.
Look back to 2013 to see these same people hate Beyonce because of her outfit back then. Turns out that they just don't like strong and powerful black people.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Depends which sect of religion. A lot of fundies in Christian/Catholic/whatever I've known don't think invitro is okay with God because it's going against his natural order, and worse case, you've sinned and brought infertility on yourself. There's also weird cult like stuff that if you get pregnant with twins or triplets from the fertility treatments you better not abort regardless of the mother's or fetus health because again, all life is sacred even if it leads to everyone's death.

I think you underestimate how smart people were in the past too. There are several plants that are extinct now because the Romans found out they were effective birth control or abortifacients. They were pretty well versed in how babies were made and pushed out. Big changes to this knowledge only happened after the Black Plague so the every life was sacred thing wasn't even based in religion.

Well, that's Romans. I'm more thinking another 1000+ years back with Jews in the desert. Who I'm sure had understanding beyond have sex, get fat, have baby. But there was no life that didn't get squeezed out that lady hole so it tended to get a lot of symbolic importance.

Romans at least figured out you could create a new lady hole to pull babies out of.

Parasol Prophet
Aug 31, 2012

We Are Best Friends Now.

Was there actually some kind of Black Panther reference in the halftime show that I just didn't notice, or is this all coming from Fox News missing the obvious Michael Jackson reference in her outfit? I honestly can't figure out where this is coming from (other than "black outfits + aggressive dance moves + confronting racism = BLACK PANTHERS AAAH!!").

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
I'm pretty sure it's been publically stated that the outfits were an homage to Black Panther women due to their realization of black feminism.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Parasol Prophet posted:

"black outfits + aggressive dance moves + confronting racism = BLACK PANTHERS AAAH!!"

This is the answer.

GIANT OUIJA BOARD
Aug 22, 2011

177 Years of Your Dick
All
Night
Non
Stop

The billboards I've seen about it cite Jeremiah 1:5 or Psalms 139:13-16.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

If God has an ultimate plan for everything and every death is intentional and accounted for in the cosmic checkbook, wouldn't an abortion just be what God wanted for the woman so she could have a better life?

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now

chitoryu12 posted:

If God has an ultimate plan for everything and every death is intentional and accounted for in the cosmic checkbook, wouldn't an abortion just be what God wanted for the woman so she could have a better life?

It doesn't really matter, because even Old Testament God once changed his own rules once after hearing a reasonable argument from a group of women, so it's not like there isn't Biblical precedence to change poo poo up when there's a solid argument for it. It's not really about what's religiously sound.

Dogfish
Nov 4, 2009

chitoryu12 posted:

It may surprise you to learn that the discussion of what role free will plays in God's plan is fairly longstanding and robust.

Huntersoninski posted:

It doesn't really matter, because even Old Testament God once changed his own rules once after hearing a reasonable argument from a group of women, so it's not like there isn't Biblical precedence to change poo poo up when there's a solid argument for it. It's not really about what's religiously sound.

It is about what's religiously sound in that it's about declaring a set of moral values that make up part of the religion; it's just that those values can't always be directly sourced to the relevant texts. The discussion of what role the literal words of the Bible should play in guiding the behaviour of the faithful, and in what contexts, is also fairly longstanding and robust.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

chitoryu12 posted:

You could say the same thing about kids starving in Angola or a woman beaten to death in California. God's Will, guess there was nothing anyone could do.

There are plenty of people who believe God micromanages their lives, but I think a lot of people sighing about God's Will when tragic poo poo happens are just trying to find meaning in meaningless deaths.

Do any other religions think God(s) manage every little aspect of their lives? Most of the old Gods just kind of hung out and occasionally gave you an extra good harvest or let you smite a couple more Persians. I have no idea if Muslims or Jews pray in locker rooms for God to slide them a little extra magic over those heathen conference rivals.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
Depending on adherence, but that could be true of Christians too, Jews have a goddamn prayer for everything.

TheKennedys
Sep 23, 2006

By my hand, I will take you from this godforsaken internet
Jews are basically religious rules lawyers though, so I imagine they spend more time trying to convince each other and/or God of why X is okay to pray for.

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
With magic potion niveous

Krispy Kareem posted:

Do any other religions think God(s) manage every little aspect of their lives? Most of the old Gods just kind of hung out and occasionally gave you an extra good harvest or let you smite a couple more Persians. I have no idea if Muslims or Jews pray in locker rooms for God to slide them a little extra magic over those heathen conference rivals.
My in-laws are Hindu, and this is pretty much how my mother-in-law sees the world. Although the idea that the divine is connected to everything is kind of a basic tenet of the religion, so...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

For a bunch of people relying on faith for their guidance they sure as poo poo haven't even read the book they're basing it on.

Almost all of the people who say their morality or beliefs are based on the Bible (or any other single source) are actually just picking the bits from that source that align with the beliefs they already hold. But the same applies to all of us. I believe that the Earth is a ball floating in space. Why? Because scientists have proven it? Or just because it's what I've been taught my entire life? I haven't actually ever gone to the trouble of checking the science for myself. But if I were arguing with a flat-Earther I'd certainly be bringing up science-based arguments as though they were the source of my belief.

It's even more obvious if you look at stuff that's less clear-cut, like politics or the effects of new technology, where there are always going to be some results or statistics that back up whichever stance you want to take on it, and you almost certainly aren't an expert and haven't even read much (if any) of the available research, let alone done any yourself.