Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.
Not to sound judgy or whatever, because I'm honestly just confused and re-checking long-held assumptions: client-side mail filtering is still a thing people use?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
I have no idea, honestly, I'm not really all that tech savvy when it comes to email, so I'm not even clear on that. I just liked how gmail filtered my inbox into different tabs/folders to keep me from having to scroll past a ton of promotional and social media junk to see my important emails. Can mailbird do that? Maybe they were talking about something else in that thread I linked to. If it can I'll give it another look. I imagine every email program has a spam filter but, this is a bit different.

-Blackadder- fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Feb 9, 2016

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

-Blackadder- posted:

I have no idea, honestly, I'm not really all that tech savvy when it comes to email, so I'm not even clear on that. I just liked how gmail filtered my inbox into different tabs/folders to keep me from having to scroll past a ton of promotional and social media junk to see my important emails. Can mailbird do that? Maybe they were talking about something else in that thread I linked to. If it can I'll give it another look. I imagine every email program has a spam filter but, this is a bit different.
No mail client does that well aside from some of the proprietary webmail interfaces, but you should really look at unroll.me.

If you want to set up filters to tag/move stuff into folders, you should really do that server-side in Gmail or O365 or wherever.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

I asked this in the Windows 10 thread but it's probably better off here.

I recently did a fresh install of Windows 10 because I haven't done so since upgrading from 8.1. I had this problem before and I can't remember how I fixed it. When I pop up the input switcher (Win+space) I have three options: English (US), Swedish (Sweden), and English (Canada). I only want the list to show the US English and Swedish options, because the Canadian input option is useless to me.

My Region & Language settings are:

And only US and Swedish are available if I go to the input settings on the control panel:

so I have no idea why the Canadian input is showing up. Is it because I have my region set to Canada in the Region & Language settings? I'm pretty sure I fixed this without changing that :confused:

It's not hugely important I guess, just a nuisance. I just like hitting Win+space to quickly swap between two input methods and I don't really like having to cycle through three of them.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Can anyone tell me how to stop Windows 7 asking to downgrade my settings any time I run a high-spec game?

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
This is a weird request but is there any way to remotely control a Windows desktop from a laptop to do stuff like play music or video from the desktop local HDD?

Example, my desktop has some music. I want it to play it locally on the desktop as if I were to just open Music and play. But, I want to do it from the laptop, from another room (Or in bed because I'm a lazy poo poo). I know about mstsc and VNC and stuff, it's not quite what I want. Basically I want an app or program where I can just connect to my desktop from my laptop and tell it to play some local files without having to actually remote in, because that fucks with playing movies and stuff. Is there an easy way to do this?

Risket
Apr 3, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
Teamviewer is a fantastic remote control application, and it doesn't log you out like Remote Desktop does, and seems to work better than VNC in my experience

Risket fucked around with this message at 11:58 on Feb 10, 2016

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Can anyone tell me how to stop Windows 7 asking to downgrade my settings any time I run a high-spec game?
Disable Aero.

Other than that the only solution I found was to upgrade to Windows 10, which doesn't have Aero on by default.

Botnit
Jun 12, 2015

Seconding Teamviewer, you can set the options to it where even if you have a movie playing in full screen mode on the PC that's being remotely controlled connecting to it doesn't even give a popup notifying you, there are also options that let you use the RC'd PC for music like you want.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Thanks guys. I know about Teamviewer (I use it at work a lot) but was really hoping there was some really simple way to do it built in or a light network only extension or something. Oh well, thanks anyway.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

syntaxfunction posted:

This is a weird request but is there any way to remotely control a Windows desktop from a laptop to do stuff like play music or video from the desktop local HDD?

Example, my desktop has some music. I want it to play it locally on the desktop as if I were to just open Music and play. But, I want to do it from the laptop, from another room (Or in bed because I'm a lazy poo poo). I know about mstsc and VNC and stuff, it's not quite what I want. Basically I want an app or program where I can just connect to my desktop from my laptop and tell it to play some local files without having to actually remote in, because that fucks with playing movies and stuff. Is there an easy way to do this?
Windows 7 "Play To"

Windows 8.1 "Play"

Can't find a decent explanation on how to set this up for Windows 10, where this has once again been renamed to "Cast To Device", and may or may not support dlna. Yes. No. I don't know. If it doesn't, that's a no go. There's heaps of people complaining it's not available from the Edge browser, which you don't care about. Other people mention casting from Explorer, which doesn't seem as convenient as having the playlist in your local media player. I can't test it here; have fun googling it. But it is in theory the function you are looking for, I think.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

Flipperwaldt posted:

Windows 7 "Play To"

Windows 8.1 "Play"

Can't find a decent explanation on how to set this up for Windows 10, where this has once again been renamed to "Cast To Device", and may or may not support dlna. Yes. No. I don't know. If it doesn't, that's a no go. There's heaps of people complaining it's not available from the Edge browser, which you don't care about. Other people mention casting from Explorer, which doesn't seem as convenient as having the playlist in your local media player. I can't test it here; have fun googling it. But it is in theory the function you are looking for, I think.

Awesome, I will gently caress around with this and if I have any luck I'll report back. If I don't, I won't!

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Ghostlight posted:

Disable Aero.

Other than that the only solution I found was to upgrade to Windows 10, which doesn't have Aero on by default.

Windows 10 does have Aero, it just doesn't display the "glass" effect by default on anything but the taskbar.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

syntaxfunction posted:

Awesome, I will gently caress around with this and if I have any luck I'll report back. If I don't, I won't!

Another alternative could be to directly control the music player. At least foobar2000 had a plugin for controlling it through a webpage.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

syntaxfunction posted:

Do you have a smartphone to hand in this scenario? iTunes + Remote for iOS does exactly this; for android there are a couple of programs called 'Remote' that do the same thing.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Finally upgraded my work PC to 8.1 (had an old laptop w/ 7 and my resistance to change was done in by my cat knocking it off the coffee table and busting the hard drive, because I was one of like 3 people left with a mechanical HD.)

Anyway, quick question related to Outlook notifications (2013.)
1) It seems I'm stuck with it appearing in the upper right corner of my main display? I searched but it doesn't look like I can change the location.
2) Most of my contacts don't have a picture set, and the default Office grey blob is blurry as gently caress in the notification:

It's barely larger than the icon displayed in emails yet looks like it's hang the resolution.

Can anything be done about either of these issues?

DrBouvenstein fucked around with this message at 13:58 on Feb 11, 2016

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

fishmech posted:

Windows 10 does have Aero, it just doesn't display the "glass" effect by default on anything but the taskbar.
That's what I said?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Ghostlight posted:

That's what I said?

No it's not.

Aero is not the same thing as the glass effect.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

syntaxfunction posted:

Thanks guys. I know about Teamviewer (I use it at work a lot) but was really hoping there was some really simple way to do it built in or a light network only extension or something. Oh well, thanks anyway.

How does Chrome Remote Desktop fit into your scenario?

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
I have an Android smartphone (Moto X Style), but I really don't want to use iTunes or Chrome (I like Firefox). I was hoping there would be a way to remotely control without needing a bunch of extra programs. It's not really a hassle, I was just curious to see if it could be done with the standard Groove Music interface, but it appears you can't. Ah well.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

syntaxfunction posted:

I have an Android smartphone (Moto X Style), but I really don't want to use iTunes or Chrome (I like Firefox). I was hoping there would be a way to remotely control without needing a bunch of extra programs. It's not really a hassle, I was just curious to see if it could be done with the standard Groove Music interface, but it appears you can't. Ah well.

I use Groove on my Samsung Note 5 all the time. Music is all loaded on OneDrive, and it works great.

b2n
Dec 29, 2005
I need a software to back up important folders on my hard drive, preferrably in a cloud-type-thing

So far I've looked into Google Drive and DropBox, but neither seem to allow simply right-clicking a folder on my hard-drive, to back it up
There's "Boxifier" for DropBox, which seems to do that, but it costs money (which by itself would be OK) but/and I've also never heard anything about it

Anyone have any tips or experiences?

Slash
Apr 7, 2011

b2n posted:

I need a software to back up important folders on my hard drive, preferrably in a cloud-type-thing

So far I've looked into Google Drive and DropBox, but neither seem to allow simply right-clicking a folder on my hard-drive, to back it up
There's "Boxifier" for DropBox, which seems to do that, but it costs money (which by itself would be OK) but/and I've also never heard anything about it

Does this not work?
Right click - > Send To... -> Dropbox / Google Drive

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
edit: wrong windows thread

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Is there anything to be done about programs that won't use the default sound device? The only thing I could think of was to either disconnect the sound device this program is obsessed with using, or set that device to not allow exclusive use by programs, neither one worked.

b2n
Dec 29, 2005

Slash posted:

Does this not work?
Right click - > Send To... -> Dropbox / Google Drive

Well... not exactly. "Send To" DropBox apparently simply copies that folder into the DropBox folder, which means I'd have it twice on my hard disk, which is not what I want. Also, if I create new files in the original folder, the folder in the DropBox does not get updated.

As far as I understand it, it's not a feature built into DropBox, or else 3rd party software (http://www.dropboxwiki.com/tips-and-tricks/sync-other-folders) wouldn't exist?

For some reason Google Drive isn't listed in "Sent To"

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

b2n posted:

Look at crashplan. You can select whatever folders you want.

Comfortador
Jul 31, 2003

Just give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have.

Wait...wait.

I worry what you just heard was...
"Give me a lot of b4con_n_3ggs."

What I said was...
"Give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have"

...Do you understand?
Is there a way to give a specific EXE admin rights to install without needing the password? 99% of our laptops do not have admin credentials and we are looking to deploy AnyConnect to them. Until we get System Center CM up and running we don't really have a way to do it (that I'm aware of, I'm a newb to this level of stuff) without touching each laptop.

If there's a better spot to post this, let me know. I've never really asked the forums for help like this before.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Comfortador posted:

Is there a way to give a specific EXE admin rights to install without needing the password? 99% of our laptops do not have admin credentials and we are looking to deploy AnyConnect to them. Until we get System Center CM up and running we don't really have a way to do it (that I'm aware of, I'm a newb to this level of stuff) without touching each laptop.

If there's a better spot to post this, let me know. I've never really asked the forums for help like this before.

Push it down through group policy?

Maels
Jan 22, 2004

Rotund Lord of Shit Mountain
What would you suggest I replace my AVG Antivirus free edition with?
It asks me to restart every week and has desktop notifications. :byewhore:

Googling suggests the 3 options of: Avast, Bitdefender and Windows Defender has been good enough for a while now.
What do you think?

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Maels posted:

Googling suggests the 3 options of: Avast, Bitdefender and Windows Defender has been good enough for a while now.
What do you think?

I'm a proponent for Avast. Been using it for years without issue.

Maels
Jan 22, 2004

Went with Avast because why argue with the fastest motherfucker?
Thanks!

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Maels posted:

What do you think?

Avast is literally the worst AV for notifications; if you want to use it and remain sane turn it into gaming mode and leave it there to suppress them all. Avast used to be awesome but has been embroiled in enough tracking and security drama in the last 18 months to be best avoided.
Bitdefender free and Windows Defender don't have desktop notifications.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
Windows Defender is perfectly fine.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

JohnnyCanuck posted:

Windows Defender is perfectly fine.

Agreed. It works just as well (or not) as any third party option.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Defender + Adblockers + not being stupid is fine.

Maels
Jan 22, 2004

Ok. I haven't had AVG actually detect anything for over 2 years now so I'll try going Windows Defender only if Avast literally does anything but shut the gently caress up and make me feel good.
Thanks again.

WorkingStiff
Jul 5, 2005

Is there any simple way to foil admins from DameWare-ing in to my PC without invite? I'm on a BYOD notebook on the work domain via a VPN off-site. Out of the blue someone remotes in, takes control of the mouse and keyboard, opens up a command prompt pastes something into it and I'm logged off and the device restarts resulting in losing everything I was working on. Turns out the culprit is someone from the managed service provider in India and he remoted into the wrong machine.

I was just going to block port 6129 at the firewall, and if someone legitimately needs in, they could call me, but maybe there is a better way?

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

WorkingStiff posted:

Is there any simple way to foil admins from DameWare-ing in to my PC without invite? I'm on a BYOD notebook on the work domain via a VPN off-site. Out of the blue someone remotes in, takes control of the mouse and keyboard, opens up a command prompt pastes something into it and I'm logged off and the device restarts resulting in losing everything I was working on. Turns out the culprit is someone from the managed service provider in India and he remoted into the wrong machine.

I was just going to block port 6129 at the firewall, and if someone legitimately needs in, they could call me, but maybe there is a better way?

lol

You can stop the services if you have rights, or uninstall the executables. If you have permissions to block the firewall you should be able to do the above without any problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WorkingStiff
Jul 5, 2005

Gyshall posted:

lol

You can stop the services if you have rights, or uninstall the executables. If you have permissions to block the firewall you should be able to do the above without any problem.

I have to use DameWare semi-regularly, and they push it via GPO whenever a user logs on along with AV, network mappings, etc. I do have full admin rights, so maybe I can write a script to enable /disable it on the fly...