Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Megalixir
Nov 10, 2007

Vanillaware ltd.

Saint Freak posted:

Please tell me that the second Cold Steel game doesn't have fights that are mechanically like that final boss fight because holy poo poo that was dumb.

Do you really want to know?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Megalixir posted:

Do you really want to know?

No tell me beautiful lies

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Junpei Hyde posted:

Downwell is a super fun game and I'd love to have it on my Vita.

Lot of praise for this game. What's the hook?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I liked the final boss fight in CS. It reminded me of the duels from Suikoden. I wouldn't be big on it if I had to do a thousand in a row but it's pretty fun as a gimmick boss.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Rinkles posted:

Lot of praise for this game. What's the hook?

It's a fun arcade game. You have gun boots and jump/shoot are the same button (think a game built around the Cave Story machine gun float, if you've played that). You continuously fall down a well and have to shoot or avoid different enemy types as you fall further and further. It's got some Roguelike style item rooms to change your guns, a shop and perk choices every few levels. It's quite fun and would work great on a Vita.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

You can also go through almost the entire game without ever touching the floor.

KariOhki
Apr 22, 2008
If I keep getting C2-12828-1 errors, should I just redownload/reinstall the game(s) it's happening on?

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/IdeaFactoryIntl/status/697495659646046208

Trillion now has an official date.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Does Trillion look good? I want to preorder it, but I feel like I should know better with IF/CH at this point (save for Nep).

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life

Dehry posted:

The Vita is really more the portable companion for PS3. Whatever replaces the Vita, be it an APP or a new device will be integrated into the PS4 store.

I kind of get this since they have more or less stopped vita first party support, but I own a PS3 / PS4 / and Vita all tied to my PSN account. They should be smart enough to know that I will potentially give them money for Vita games and surface a way for me to buy them on my PS4 without logging on some other device.

I just end up using the website most of the time because it's the only storefront that shows all the platforms.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Takoluka posted:

Does Trillion look good? I want to preorder it, but I feel like I should know better with IF/CH at this point (save for Nep).

i remember hearing that a lot of people who worked on it are old disgaea staff, but that's about it

Fru Fru
Sep 14, 2007
We're gonna need a bigger boat...and some water.

Takoluka posted:

Is there some preorder bonus or something? I am interested in it too and those things always sucker me in.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

The Colonel posted:

i remember hearing that a lot of people who worked on it are old disgaea staff, but that's about it

That's what I've heard as well, and I have to say that I *am* interested in a not-Disgaea with Tenpei Sato's music.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Game doesn't sound like it has much in common with disgaea other than hugely inflated numbers.

http://www.jrpgreview.com/makaishin-trillion.html

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠

Takoluka posted:

How (and what) are the Neptunia games? I have basically no idea about what they are, yet there are like 10 out already. Are they actually good, or is it just a series that has survived based on Titties alone?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It's survived on videogame jokes, memes and not being entirely terrible (apart from the original PS3 game which is one of the worst JRPG's ever made), rather than tits, I think. They're not really good games either though.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Anora posted:

How (and what) are the Neptunia games? I have basically no idea about what they are, yet there are like 10 out already. Are they actually good, or is it just a series that has survived based on Titties alone?

It is a series that survives based off Titties and anime/video game jokes. The gameplay ranges from absurdly terrible to merely average. It hasn't been unplayable terrible for a while but there are a lot better JRPGs you can play on the Vita unless you're really looking for what amounts to the anime version of Family Guy.

Like that isn't meant as an insult entirely. If that is the kind of humor you're looking for then you get it in spades. But that is its selling point.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Anora posted:

the mainline games are pure fluff with fluffy characters, fluffy gameplay, fluffy writing and pretty good character art. if the games don't seem like you'd have fun with them from the start, you probably won't

they're not really deserving of much of the poo poo people can tend to give them, but they're not particularly worthy of praise either

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Anora posted:

A lot of talking heads cutscenes interrupted by some average at best JRPG gameplay. You could probably watch all the cutscenes on Youtube if you're interested and save yourself the money, but if you're a Nep fan you will Nep for Neps sake

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
I just noticed how many there were in the store while I was browsing the RPG category, and was wondering if I was missing a hidden gem or something.

Is the Chrono Trigger on Vita a decent port, or should I look elsewhere? I need to eventually play it.

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

It's the PSX version, meaning a Japanese SNES ROM patched on the fly and always struggling with the lack of RAM, so lots of loading time in the weirdest places. It's barely playable.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Chrono Trigger DS is good but I guess it might be more than you're willing to pay for a DS game in 2016

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I have an actual SNES cart for sale of you have a spare $150.....

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Anora posted:

I will make a Neptunia megathread.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

The new Neptunia on PS4 has something approaching actually good gameplay instead of mediocre but you'll still either love or loathe the humor and overt sexualization of the characters in it so that's by no means a guarantee you'll like the new game.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

Takoluka posted:

I will make a Neptunia megathread.

You're posting in it

EPIC fat guy vids
Feb 3, 2011

squeak... squeak... SQUEAK!
Lipstick Apathy
I played the 3rd on Vita and the SRPG.... The gameplay for the 3rd is very meh at best and I skip all cutscenes/story because most of it is very mediocre. The SRPG is interesting mechanics but it's also very average if you compare it to very good ones like TO LUCT.

They're very niche fan-friendly games and if you don't care for one, you won't care for any of them. The sexualization of characters is very strange too because some go from large breasted skimpy clothed women to 10 year old kids and I find that just very weird. I guess the only consistent one on that front is the Xbox persona.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
Never forget, never not nep.

I've said this before and I'll say it again - I miss the Badman series and I'm sorta sad it's sorta done. The puzzle game was ok but didn't grab me like the three main entries did. Seems like it could use the touch screen too for new pick abilities or moving special monsters around.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Schrodingers cat posted:

some go from large breasted skimpy clothed women to 10 year old kids

?????????

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Takoluka posted:

?????????

i mean, peashy and plutia are both characters

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Takoluka posted:

?????????

Peashy, Plutia, Ram and Rom. Plus a lot of the cast like Uni and Nepgear are basically teenagers.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
my opinion on the character design in neptunia is that the character artist has a fun style and adult neptune is cute, and it has given me the opportunity to be completely serious and honest when i say that i'm going to marry falcom

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.
snoopnepmousepad.jpg

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

The Colonel posted:

my opinion on the character design in neptunia is that the character artist has a fun style and adult neptune is cute, and it has given me the opportunity to be completely serious and honest when i say that i'm going to marry falcom

If you marry Falcom, can you get her to release Trails in the Sky 3rd, Zero and Ao in English?

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Mr. Fortitude posted:

If you marry Falcom, can you get her to release Trails in the Sky 3rd, Zero and Ao in English?

that's really more a question of if i can convince her to release a pc port of ao in japan for xseed to work off of

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Peashy, Plutia, Ram and Rom. Plus a lot of the cast like Uni and Nepgear are basically teenagers.

I keep forgetting Peashy is a thing.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

The Colonel posted:

that's really more a question of if i can convince her to release a pc port of ao in japan for xseed to work off of

Well, Falcom did release their own PC port that wasn't Chinese of Zero like 3 years after they released it on PSP so while PC development isn't a primary focus of Falcom anymore, it's still kind of possible maybe.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Takoluka posted:

?????????
It probably doesn't make it more palatable, but it actually happens the other way around, the sexualized ones are 'powered up' somehow and the little girls are the default.

At least that's more chronologically sound but you're probably best trying not to combine logic and Nep

Forest Thief Pud
Dec 26, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

I liked the final boss fight in CS. It reminded me of the duels from Suikoden. I wouldn't be big on it if I had to do a thousand in a row but it's pretty fun as a gimmick boss.

The only part where I found the final boss really annoying is when you're doing it on Nightmare mode, since it feels like you're entirely victim to the RNG, mostly in regards to the boss getting a follow-up and whether or not you get a follow-up in your counter stance. On the upside, it was pretty doable in Normal with out relying on RNG once you figure out all the pieces work.

The section in general feels like it's there just to tease you about gameplay elements that are going to happen in CS2, so it's effectively getting a tutorial that's only relevant to the sequel right before the ending credits roll, which I'm also not too big a fan off.

Forest Thief Pud fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Feb 10, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
It's worth mentioning there's only 3 canon games in the Neptunia series: Rebirth 2, Rebirth 3 (or the PS3 equivalents) and Neptunia V-II. Everything else is just an episode of Neptunia Guy. Believe it or not, a majority of the show runners in Japan are women.

Takoluka posted:

I keep forgetting Peashy is a thing.

They haven't forgotten the characters. They're all coming back for Blanc vs Zombies.