Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Wild T posted:

At first I thought Ash went a little too far into the campy, one-liner-tossing dope character but I was pretty satisfied by the end of the season. I especially liked how they focused back in on Evil Dead 2 so much towards the end and used it to explain that behind all his bravado and bluster there's still a lot of the guy who was trapped scared shitless in a cabin in him. Linda coming back to torment him was a great idea, too. I liked how they used Ash's apprehension about returning to the cabin to slowly chip away his facade and build up his relationship with Pablo and Kelly, and how his increasing fear of losing them when he got there was used to add foreboding.

But I think dinner with Kelly's parents still reigns supreme as the best episode on the show. That episode straddled the line between hysterically funny and genuinely creepy just perfectly.

The dinner was my favorite too and Mimi Rogers rocked that episode as demon mom.

Also loved Ash being dick as a sort of deadite voight kampf test.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

etalian posted:

My favorite joke had to be the burial scene with the crosses.

Ash is basically the horror movie equivalent to Inspector clouseau

Yeah, that's definitely one of the ones that pops right in my head when I think of my favorites. The other is just the whole beginning of the first episode, with Ash in his trailer preparing for his awesome night of getting blackout drunk n laid, all the way up to his hazy flashback of reading Deadite poetry to get laid, followed by the most perfectly delivered, aw-man-I-really-did-do-that-last-night-when-I-was-all-hosed-up "gently caress"

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

I loved the other joked from the dinner episode in which Ash tries to explain how they hit a deer and he had to cut it up with the chainsaw.

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

I love that I have an erection...

...that doesn't involve homeless people.

I'm still irrationally mad that Fisher was the one to take out the hand. The hand should have survived, but if anyone was going to kill it it had to be Ash.

Did anyone get the idea that Kelly was turning into a new Ash when she started burning the cabin? She was laughing maniacally while doing it, and she's been feeling more like Ash to me.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

MichiganCubbie posted:

I'm still irrationally mad that Fisher was the one to take out the hand. The hand should have survived, but if anyone was going to kill it it had to be Ash.

Did anyone get the idea that Kelly was turning into a new Ash when she started burning the cabin? She was laughing maniacally while doing it, and she's been feeling more like Ash to me.

The only hole in this is she's more self aware at 20 than Ash at 40. Or ever.

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.

MichiganCubbie posted:

I figured they've been setting her up to become kill-crazy for a while now, what with her freaking out and jamming a deadite's face repeatedly into a meat slicer while loving every minute of it and pouring fully automatic fire into anything in her way. I have the feeling they're setting it up for her to overdo it at some point in season 2 and it's going to cause trouble for them.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

MichiganCubbie posted:

She is. Ash in an earlier episode foreshadowed it with a throwaway line like, "You remind me a lot of me when I was younger."

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I wish they would now hurry up and release blu-rays of the season so I can rewatch the carnage in much better quality.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
My favorite scene for the season was Pablo, Kelly, the Gas Mask Deadite, the pick-up truck, the tree, and ALL THAT BLOOD. I haven't laughed that hard at a television show in a long time

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

CobiWann posted:

My favorite scene for the season was Pablo, Kelly, the Gas Mask Deadite, the pick-up truck, the tree, and ALL THAT BLOOD. I haven't laughed that hard at a television show in a long time

it was a pretty drat funny spin on the traditional horror movie jump scare trick.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I finally got to see this, amazing show. The first 7 episodes were a roller coaster ride then unfortunately it slowed down and tried to tell a story but overall fantastic show.

On the way over we hit a deer ... one of the best horror comedy scenes of all time.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Everyone keeps passing over the fact they had the balls to kill a child on screen.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Invalid Validation posted:

Everyone keeps passing over the fact they had the balls to kill a child on screen.

The whole diner massacre scene was pretty brutal.

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.

Not just kill a kid, but tie it into a hilariously bad one-liner about a fan club. Though to be fair the kid was a teenager; they didn't go full Feast and have monsters killing small children. The again we do have "young woman screaming as gore is launched onto her face from the chainsaw blade that is brutally decapitating her demon-possessed mother while the mother smiles," which for a television show was pretty loving dark. Ash strutting like a hero afterwards and a cut to Kelly just looking horrified was a perfect comedic beat, too.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Best episode was dinner with parents, perfect blend of tension, humor and over the top violence

mimi rogers rocked too as deadite mom.

Haerc
Jan 2, 2011

Wasn't it kind of offscreen? Like, Ash stuck the shotgun in the zombie/demon-child's face, then the camera zoomed in on Ash's face, then he pulled the trigger? I might be wrong, I've only watched it once.

Edit: Ohhh the diner kid. N/M.

Krowley
Feb 15, 2008

Chokes McGee posted:

She is. Ash in an earlier episode foreshadowed it with a throwaway line like, "You remind me a lot of me when I was younger."

"Deadites ruined your life and you’re hot as hell"

This show owned. Love all the one-liners

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Haerc posted:

Wasn't it kind of offscreen? Like, Ash stuck the shotgun in the zombie/demon-child's face, then the camera zoomed in on Ash's face, then he pulled the trigger? I might be wrong, I've only watched it once.

Edit: Ohhh the diner kid. N/M.

Don't forget the teenage girls who got tossed through the glass window like rag dolls.

bathhouse
Apr 21, 2010

We're getting into a rhythm now
I can finally get my foam chainsaw.

lomzus
Mar 18, 2009
Lee Majors and Ted Raimi have been cast as Ash’s father and Ash’s childhood best friend, respectively, on the second season.

http://deadline.com/2016/02/lee-majors-ted-raimi-join-ash-vs-evil-dead-on-starz-1201700119/

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

lomzus posted:

Lee Majors and Ted Raimi have been cast as Ash’s father and Ash’s childhood best friend, respectively, on the second season.

http://deadline.com/2016/02/lee-majors-ted-raimi-join-ash-vs-evil-dead-on-starz-1201700119/

Glorious! I've been waiting for Ted to show up.

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...
Fuuuuuck yes

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Lee Majors as Ash's father is the perfect casting I never even thought of :aaa:

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Jerusalem posted:

Lee Majors as Ash's father is the perfect casting I never even thought of :aaa:

He's obviously gonna be his friend.

Picklepuss
Jul 12, 2002

I wonder if they will ever reference Ash's sister Cheryl?

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Picklepuss posted:

I wonder if they will ever reference Ash's sister Cheryl?

Good question is if she's canon or not. Things can get confusing with the first movie.

I hope so!

Takei is Okay
Sep 3, 2011
I don't think they mentioned her by name, but they did show a picture of Cheryl in the flashbacks in the first episode.

gently caress yeah Ted Raimi :swoon:

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Ted owns, I am excited.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
That was phenomenal. I've not enjoyed a first series as much as that since Hello Ladies.
Everything about it was so right and so true. Plus, good heavens can Bruce still kick it!

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

That ending was so lame. I'm happy it means another season, but I'm comparing it to the climax of any of the films and it does not compare.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Lurdiak posted:

That ending was so lame. I'm happy it means another season, but I'm comparing it to the climax of any of the films and it does not compare.

I have a feeling it was only so 'soft' because they knew they had a second season.

If they didn't, oh boy

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Crap, all the XL t-shirts have sold out.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

spookygonk posted:

Crap, all the t-shirts have sold out.

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

Burkion posted:

I have a feeling it was only so 'soft' because they knew they had a second season.

If they didn't, oh boy

It definitely feels like they were building up to a more airtight resolution. The second season was greenlit before the first episode aired; I wouldn't be surprised if the finale was hastily rewritten as the writers scrambled to open it up for a season they now knew was happening.

For what it's worth, though, the Jacksonville seed being planted and paying off in the end definitely got a chuckle out of me. Ash is such a loser that the Holy Grail at the end of his ordeal is "To hell with it, no more having to dismember the undead. Just leave me alone in a lovely second-rate tourist town and let me go fishing." The (brief) negotiation for gas money lifted it from clever to hysterical.

The one thing that stuck with me beyond the simple joke was how they built Ash up as a character. He's sick of having to watch his friends die, and tries to march near-suicidally into the cabin alone. So by the end of the series it feels right on two levels. On one, we have Ash being a simple chucklefuck who sells mankind out for a lovely vacation. On the other, it's his breaking point where he can't mentally stand to have to kill another friend yet is too macho to admit it, so he takes the lovely vacation.

Wild T fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Feb 21, 2016

bathhouse
Apr 21, 2010

Season 2 trailer just dropped and i'm drat excited.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hmtG-5uHLVA

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

bathhouse posted:

Season 2 trailer just dropped and i'm drat excited.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hmtG-5uHLVA

Groovy! I like that dapper looking character we see for a second in the middle there. Now we just need some o' that Ted Raimi action.

bathhouse
Apr 21, 2010

Heavy Metal posted:

Now we just need some o' that Ted Raimi action.

Spotted! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WzeJTAwqEJ4

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Hot drat that was beautiful. Not just Ted, I mean the whole trailer, plus Ace of Spades oh lawd yes.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

So good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Can I ask ya somethin', Padre? When I was kickin' your ass back there... you get a little wood?

:black101: Nice!

• Locked thread