Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
they'll both get knifed in the back by the party they're running for and it'll be a massive shitshow

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

Jose posted:

they'll both get knifed in the back by the party they're running for and it'll be a massive shitshow

no we're talking about the American parties

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Jose posted:

The republican party has been trying to do that to Trump since he started running and all its done is made him stronger.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

serious gaylord posted:

The republican party has been trying to do that to Trump since he started running and all its done is made him stronger.

they can just give someone else the nomination despite him winning most of it as far as i'm aware due to how its done. i think there is even precedent for it happening. which will be really funny if he then runs as an independent and becomes president totally destroying them

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

serious gaylord posted:

nah, the crazy thing is that the establishment candidates have been spending more time attacking each other than Trump

game theory 101 i guess

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".
'Transport tsar’s sell-off plan will break up Network Rail'

'Transport tsar Nicola Shaw to recommend partial privatisation with lines sold to outside investors'

http://www.thesundaytimes.co.uk/sto/business/Industry/article1665457.ece

Can anyone with a subscription post the full article?

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Metrication posted:

'Transport tsar’s sell-off plan will break up Network Rail'

'Transport tsar Nicola Shaw to recommend partial privatisation with lines sold to outside investors'

http://www.thesundaytimes.co.uk/sto/business/Industry/article1665457.ece

Can anyone with a subscription post the full article?

Paging Bozza to the thread...

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

"It's 9pm, time for the railwayman on top of your internet forum to explode!"

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".
Nevermind, I found it

quote:

Nicola Shaw, the boss of the High Speed 1 rail link, is set to recommend taking several big lines — and even whole networks — and selling them to outside investors.

Shaw is believed to have identified routes including Greater Anglia, Essex Thameside and Wessex as those most likely to attract pension, insurance and sovereign wealth funds to invest. They would take over running the tracks from the state-owned company, and buy in services from Network Rail and other contractors.

Shaw, who was awarded a CBE in the new year honours, was asked by the chancellor in July to draw up a blueprint for the behemoth that runs 20,000 miles of track and most of the big stations. The Shaw Report is also set to recommend the creation of a new agency that will sit at arm’s length from government and be responsible for strategic rail matters.

The new body, which will have echoes of the old Strategic Rail Authority that was axed in 2006, will handle everything from franchising, big upgrades, control of the system, railway standards and long-term planning of schemes such as High Speed 2. That work is currently split across the Department for Transport and Network Rail, and would mean a big shift of powers from the state-owned company.

Network Rail has become a huge problem for the government since its debt, now £38bn, was transferred to the national balance sheet in 2014. Since then, delays and cost overruns have emerged on its multibillion-pound upgrades.

Shaw is also considering recommending the creation of at least one new route, with a new northern route the most likely. Currently, lines across Yorkshire and Lancashire do not have a dedicated Network Rail route, and must borrow resources from the east and west coast main lines. A northern route would fit with the chancellor’s so-called Northern Powerhouse, which includes devolving power over transport to a new body, Transport for the North.

Network Rail’s routes — of which there are currently eight — will be turned into separate entities with their own profit-and-loss accounts. Shaw wants the routes to work more closely with the train companies, becoming suppliers. Network Rail, which is trying to pre-empt her report, has also suggested inviting companies such as Serco, Hitachi and Siemens to compete for long-term upgrade contracts.

Shaw has run the HS1 London to Dover rail link for almost five years. It is owned and operated by two Canadian pension funds on a 30-year concession.

She will publish her report early next month — in time for the March 16 budget. She is working alongside Network Rail chairman Sir Peter Hendy on it.

The report will trigger a scramble among banks and investors. Network Rail and the Shaw Report declined to comment."

Rail infrastructure is unprofitable as a business? (unless you cut corners like Railtrack and keep taking colossal government subsidy) Who is going to want these?

Metrication fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Feb 10, 2016

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Jose posted:

they can just give someone else the nomination despite him winning most of it as far as i'm aware due to how its done. i think there is even precedent for it happening. which will be really funny if he then runs as an independent and becomes president totally destroying them

Mmmm, kinda. Basically you need an outright majority of the delegates awarded in the primaries and these delegates must respect the wishes of the primary results for the first round only. After that all delegates are unpledged and can vote for how they see fit.

The time you're thinking of is when Nixon did some backroom deals to help... I think it was Eisenhower? get the nomination.

So yes, the establishment can rig the vote towards Jeb! or Rube1.0 but they need to rely on other states failing to provide Trump an outright majority of votes. Their biggest fear is that Cruz could be the only thing capable of doing that since Marcotron had a stack overflow error on Saturday night.

NO FUCK YOU DAD
Oct 23, 2008
"Northern Powerhouse" is such a patronising name. I cringe every time I see it.

Also good to see they're going to make my local line worse.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

serious gaylord posted:

They'll all get smashed by Trump, which the thought of him as President is simultaneously hilarious and horrifying.

Trump's actually doing worse than you'd think. He's polling worse than both Sanders and Clinton last I checked.

NO gently caress YOU DAD posted:

"Northern Powerhouse" is such a patronising name. I cringe every time I see it.

Also good to see they're going to make my local line worse.

Reminder that they closed several branch offices of the Northern Powerhouse to consolidate them in London.

Gonzo McFee fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Feb 10, 2016

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Trump is energising a decent part of the republican base but in the wider county I can't see anyway he wins the presidency.

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

Gonzo McFee posted:

Trump's actually doing worse than you'd think. He's polling worse than both Sanders and Clinton last I checked.

Reminder that they closed several branch offices of the Northern Powerhouse to consolidate them in London.

Interestingly, Sanders polls better than Hillary vs Trump.

Extreme0
Feb 28, 2013

I dance to the sweet tune of your failure so I'm never gonna stop fucking with you.

Continue to get confused and frustrated with me as I dance to your anger.

As I expect nothing more from ya you stupid runt!

News just in. Americans have more common sense then Britian when it comes to voting.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Manic_Misanthrope posted:

Interestingly, Sanders polls better than Hillary vs Trump.

I think that's because Sanders is able to speak his mind a little more, Hilary can still very much come across like a political who is speaking in soundbites, platitudes and through the filter of media and PR teams, she hasn't lived in the real world for quite some time.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Just hoping Bernie picks a good VP. He'll be seventy-five when he takes office, and... well, look at the before and after pictures of Obama.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Extreme0 posted:

News just in. Americans have more common sense then Britian when it comes to voting.

its more that both sets of voters are railing against the establishment which results in sanders/trump. thats only happened to one party here and nowhere near a general election and why would it for the tories

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Please don't turn UKMT into the US threads with their DUCK SEASON / RABBIT SEASON dumb slapfight over Hillary/Bernie.

What matters is that the GOP must not be in charge of all three branches of government or the whole world is hosed.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
Americans still seem to have a generally decency about them. Like they're thick as poo poo and their police are basically some kind of tyrannical army but they probably would feel sorry if they saw a disabled person burst into flames in the middle of the street. They might even try and help them. In the UK we're at the point where a crowd would gather to throw petrol on them while shouting scrounger. Then they'd poo poo themselves, eat the poo poo, throw the poo poo at each other and then jump into the fire themselves. Something something immigrants austerity.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
Someone hasn't been to New York. Where if a disabled person burst into flames the natural reaction would be to tell them to take that poo poo off the sidewalk.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

i'm not sure advocating using trident on the UK would go down well with the populace as much as they deserve it

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Regarde Aduck posted:

Americans still seem to have a generally decency about them. Like they're thick as poo poo and their police are basically some kind of tyrannical army but they probably would feel sorry if they saw a disabled person burst into flames in the middle of the street. They might even try and help them. In the UK we're at the point where a crowd would gather to throw petrol on them while shouting scrounger. Then they'd poo poo themselves, eat the poo poo, throw the poo poo at each other and then jump into the fire themselves. Something something immigrants austerity.

I don't think you know Americans

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

Regarde Aduck posted:

Maybe in south east England.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Personally I hope Sanders wins because It'd be hilarious to watch the right wing of America's reaction and also because it'd convince a lot of people to vote for Corbyn classic if AmeriCorbyn wins.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

shrike82 posted:

I don't think you know Americans

Regarde Aduck you're making me agree with shrike82. That's how reality-warping your post was.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
If the reaction of people on those german trains is anything to go by, the modern reaction to tragedy is to whip your phone out and record it before even checking anyone else is alive.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

everything you think is poo poo about UK politics is imported from the US
all the way back to Thatcher and before

Extreme0
Feb 28, 2013

I dance to the sweet tune of your failure so I'm never gonna stop fucking with you.

Continue to get confused and frustrated with me as I dance to your anger.

As I expect nothing more from ya you stupid runt!

serious gaylord posted:

If the reaction of people on those german trains is anything to go by, the modern reaction to tragedy is to whip your phone out and record it before even checking anyone else is alive.

GOT TO GET THE HOT SCOOPS!

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

thatcher didn't go senile as fast as reagan though

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

There's significant enough crossover in trump/sanders voters that the bern polls much better then Clinton in a head to head (she actually comes out behind)

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Metrication posted:

Nevermind, I found it

Rail infrastructure is unprofitable as a business? (unless you cut corners like Railtrack and keep taking colossal government subsidy) Who is going to want these?

They could charge the train operators ridiculous fees for the privilege of running trains on their infrastructure. The train operators would then pass those costs onto the passengers. The ridiculous fees go to the fund's shareholders who profit immensely. The company then goes to the government and explains that they need £billions in taxpayer subsidies to maintain and improve the rail infrastructure (the government, of course, obliges).

I imagine it would pan out something like that, except even more blatant, complicated and ridiculous.

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?

Gonzo McFee posted:

Reminder that new alcohol guidelines put the most you should be drinking a week at two pints.

You're lowballing the guideline by a whole 10 units. Also the Royal Statistical Society told them to gently caress off.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Pistol_Pete posted:

They could charge the train operators ridiculous fees for the privilege of running trains on their infrastructure. The train operators would then pass those costs onto the passengers. The ridiculous fees go to the fund's shareholders who profit immensely. The company then goes to the government and explains that they need £billions in taxpayer subsidies to maintain and improve the rail infrastructure (the government, of course, obliges).

I imagine it would pan out something like that, except even more blatant, complicated and ridiculous.

The company is a foreign state owned firm and its that countries taxpayers who benefit

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Tesseraction posted:

Please don't turn UKMT into the US threads with their DUCK SEASON / RABBIT SEASON dumb slapfight over Hillary/Bernie.

What matters is that the GOP must not be in charge of all three branches of government or the whole world is hosed.
From outside the US it'd be better to have the one who's opposed to the NSA and international security/economic fuckery than the establishment one who wants to expand it, although they're both better than the one that wants to block Muslims from the internet.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Patient: "If I don't smoke, don't drink, don't do drugs, don't have sex and stick to a strict vegan diet, could I live to 95?"

Doctor: "Well, yes but why would you want to?"

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

No wonder Hunt won't go into work apart from Fridays. He should probably skip that day and leave a pot plant instead.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Tesseraction posted:

Yo where do I go to put :20bux: on Bernie to win the Democrat primaries but the (non-Trump) Republican candidate to win the presidency?

Gonzo McFee posted:

Personally I hope Sanders wins because It'd be hilarious to watch the right wing of America's reaction and also because it'd convince a lot of people to vote for Corbyn classic if AmeriCorbyn wins.

I'd pay good money to see Alex Jones reach a level even further beyond...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XlvSdKcv0H0

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Guavanaut posted:

From outside the US it'd be better to have the one who's opposed to the NSA and international security/economic fuckery than the establishment one who wants to expand it, although they're both better than the one that wants to block Muslims from the internet.

The GOP's entire still-running candidates want to invade and/or carpet bomb the Middle East.

Britain could well be dragged into that.

Question whether you want to be involved in exponential human suffering with the GOP or linear human suffering with the Dems.

The worst of the Democrats is better than the majority of our current cabinet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Just because the GOP are an unspeakable shambling evil dedicated to fascism with a smiley face plastered on it doesn't make Hilary Clinton any less of a massive pile of rancid poo poo.

• Locked thread