Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
So...the 18xx series...is this literally an entire genre of games dedicated to train companies? I don't understand how there's like 56 of these titles. I just don't. It is literally very confusing to me.

Edit: I think it may just be the fact that someone says "this game has trains and takes place in the 19th century...let's slap the 18xx moniker on there I guess" every single time.

Morpheus fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Feb 10, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Morpheus posted:

So...the 18xx series...is this literally an entire genre of games dedicated to train companies? I don't understand how there's like 56 of these titles. I just don't. It is literally very confusing to me.

Edit: I think it may just be the fact that someone says "this game has trains and takes place in the 19th century...let's slap the 18xx moniker on there I guess" every single time.
Nope, they are all games that share the same mechanism. If it doesn't have the company/market/financing mechanisms of the series, it isn't an 18xx. There's just loads of amateur game designers making 18xx games since it us such a niche game.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
18XX games are the mobas of board games

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

Impermanent posted:

CAn any vets of the 18xx scene give me some pointers? My copy of 1830 is coming in today and I have a few questions:

1. Are 18xx games any good 2-player or should I wait for a larger game day?
2. Is there a good resource online that can teach me how to play this dang thing?
3. What are the good 18xxs that someone might conceivably be able to purchase within the next year?
4. Are there any good play aids? I can normally keep good track of things but I'm nervous about something with as involved a stock market.
5. What's a good brand of chips to replace this dumb paper money.
Don't play 1830 with two.

As Tekopo said 1846 is coming out. I'm a bit torn on whether I want it since it seems to veer into the eurogame economic snowball side of things which I'm not very interested in. However I don't want to write it off without playing it and I have a friend who doesn't like 18xx because he can't get his head around just trying to make money instead of treating a company like a puppy. Funnily enough he can grasp that in Acquire. I wonder if he spends too much time grappling with the rules to see the implications of them, even though I've explained things to him.

For a cheat sheet I'm pretty sure I used a copy of this although it looks like there are a couple of errors in it. I also recommend checking out the original Avalon Hill rules since the Mayfair ones are a bit overblown and they teach you the stupid new rules and then have an addendum for the classic game that everyone actually plays. The Mayfair rulebook is really pretty absurd.

For poker chips I just use dice chips like these and an aluminum case. I also have a couple of acrylic chip trays so we can keep the bank split up around the table. That way people can handle their own payments. A better solution would be one of those nice wood cases that have removable chip trays. I have a 300 chip set in seven colors, fifty each of 1, 5, 10, 20, and 50 and then 25 of 100 and 500. I wish I had a few less 5s and 50s and more 100s which I might remedy by picking up another sleeve of the color I use for 100s. They're not going to blow you away with quality but they stack pretty well, they're easy to handle, and they cost me less than $50 total when I bought them.

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

COOL CORN posted:

I just got a Broken Token Mage Knight organizer in the mail today. It's... Wow, pictures don't do it justice.

Yeah, it's quality. And it knocks setup time down so much, you'll be playing Mage Knight every night when you get home from work!

Lump Shaker
Nov 20, 2001

CaptainRightful posted:

Yeah, it's quality. And it knocks setup time down so much, you'll be playing Mage Knight every night when you get home from work!

I just put mine together last night? Did you guys use glue? I ended up gluing most of the pieces to be safe.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Lump Shaker posted:

I just put mine together last night? Did you guys use glue? I ended up gluing most of the pieces to be safe.

I didn't because I put it together on my lunch break at work. I might put a few drops of glue later though.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Sentinels of the Multiverse KS is over half a million.

:badtasteingames:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Lump Shaker posted:

I haven't bothered with glue for mine and they seem to hold up just fine without, especially if they're pretty full of cards and junk.

COOL CORN posted:

I just got a Broken Token Mage Knight organizer in the mail today. It's... Wow, pictures don't do it justice.

Yeah when you see a picture or even when you first get it, its like "welp here's some laser cut balsa wood or whatever"

But then when you actually get it all together and fit snug in the box, its like drat that's professional looking. :)

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Zaphod42 posted:

Yeah when you see a picture or even when you first get it, its like "welp here's some laser cut balsa wood or whatever"

Yeah that's what I thought!

But this is serious sturdy wood that fits together so snugly it literally squeaks

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

cenotaph posted:

Don't play 1830 with two.

As Tekopo said 1846 is coming out. I'm a bit torn on whether I want it since it seems to veer into the eurogame economic snowball side of things which I'm not very interested in. However I don't want to write it off without playing it and I have a friend who doesn't like 18xx because he can't get his head around just trying to make money instead of treating a company like a puppy. Funnily enough he can grasp that in Acquire. I wonder if he spends too much time grappling with the rules to see the implications of them, even though I've explained things to him.

For a cheat sheet I'm pretty sure I used a copy of this although it looks like there are a couple of errors in it. I also recommend checking out the original Avalon Hill rules since the Mayfair ones are a bit overblown and they teach you the stupid new rules and then have an addendum for the classic game that everyone actually plays. The Mayfair rulebook is really pretty absurd.

For poker chips I just use dice chips like these and an aluminum case. I also have a couple of acrylic chip trays so we can keep the bank split up around the table. That way people can handle their own payments. A better solution would be one of those nice wood cases that have removable chip trays. I have a 300 chip set in seven colors, fifty each of 1, 5, 10, 20, and 50 and then 25 of 100 and 500. I wish I had a few less 5s and 50s and more 100s which I might remedy by picking up another sleeve of the color I use for 100s. They're not going to blow you away with quality but they stack pretty well, they're easy to handle, and they cost me less than $50 total when I bought them.
1846 is in a the tresham side of the family and it is firmly in the "run a company well" field rather than having many market shenanigans. It is still pretty cutthroat: you can absolutely gently caress over other people if you gently caress up their tracks/token them out. It has a fair bit variability as well.

If people aren't aware, Francis Tresham created 1829, the first 18xx, starting a tradition of horribly named games. He also created 1830 but got kind of annoyed at how people played it, so he created 1853 as almost a 'gently caress you' to people that wanted to play the market rather than run super sweet train companies.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
We've played 1862 and it's been fine with two, noting it's by the same guy (Mike Hutton) who did 1860.

Durendal
Jan 25, 2008

Who made you God to say
"I'll take your sheep from you?"

For 18XX games that you can get your hands one right now: 1844/1854 is supposed to come out this year, 1853, and 1830.

1856, 1860, and 1870 all had commercial releases in the last few decades so there may be copies collecting dust at game/hobby stores near you. You could also get lucky and find cheap ones on the BGG market place.

Otherwise be prepared to pay a lot. The BGG marketplace usually has non insane prices like Amazon resellers. There is also Golden Spike Games and All Aboard Games who will charge an arm and a leg but will get you a game in a month or so.

Lastly there is Deep Thought Games where you need to leave your order in your will. Maybe your grandkids will get to play.

If you feel confident you can always make a print and play version of some games.

Edit: have you played 1889 yet, Tekepo? That game seems like a good candidate to teach the 1830 branch.

Durendal fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Feb 10, 2016

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Just as a warning: 1854 is bad, like really bad, 1844 I like but it has a lot of fiddly rules, 1853 is not really an 18xx at all and not a good start, 1830 is a good starter game (and the most famous 18xx) and relatively easy to find, although the Mayfair version has a lot of lovely garbage alt rules and the rule book is badly written, 1860 is decent and I have a copy of it for sale and 1870 is a long game but I like if a lot. 1856 is also pretty good but hard to find, but has a lot of fiddly rules.

I have played 1889 and it is pretty much 1830-lite, I like it. 18MEX is decent but good luck finding a copy. 18AL maybe? 18Neb is also the premier 3P game for me.

Durendal
Jan 25, 2008

Who made you God to say

Tekopo posted:

Just as a warning: 1854 is bad, like really bad, 1844 I like but it has a lot of fiddly rules, 1853 is not really an 18xx at all and not a good start, 1830 is a good starter game (and the most famous 18xx) and relatively easy to find, although the Mayfair version has a lot of lovely garbage alt rules and the rule book is badly written, 1860 is decent and I have a copy of it for sale and 1870 is a long game but I like if a lot. 1856 is also pretty good but hard to find, but has a lot of fiddly rules.

It looks like the new versions of 1844/1854 aren't going to be direct reprints. Maybe they cleaned them up? What is so dire about 1854?

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

One section of the board has a little sub board which is completely loving pointless and in the end just advantages one player and it's really loving pointless and contrived. It uses an hexagonal market for ~reasons~. I think one of the members of my old 18xx groups made a more thorough review. Basically if I want an Austria game, I'd rathe include Hungary and play the better 1824.

Durendal
Jan 25, 2008

Who made you God to say

That's too bad, hopefully they fixed it or made it more interesting.

I think the only copy of 1824 I've seen floating around was one from China for $300.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Durendal posted:

I think the only copy of 1824 I've seen floating around was one from China for $300.
I bought 1824 directly from Oleg, his website says they are all sold out now, shame. 1880 by double-o is also extremely good and recommended. Orvin, another 18xx goon, is a big fan.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love
All this talk about 18xx has me considering grabbing a copy of 1830 from my local place. Is this something that you'd need a serious group to sink four hours into learning/playing?

Also, the store website points out that:

quote:

The 2011 version of 1830 was published by Mayfair Games in partnership with Lookout Games of Germany. This publication was developed under license from Francis Tresham in co-operation with Bruce Shelley (the original 1830 developer). This version contains rules and components for Francis Tresham's original classic design, a faster-playing basic game, and new variants from some of the world's best railroad game developers.

Does this mean they cleaned up or offer an alternative the rules problem that Tekopo was referencing?

Christ, I just bought FCM...

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

All the variants are bad and the quick game is also bad, yeah. I want to like th Mayfair version ( I own it) but Christ they hosed it up. It's still worth getting if you literally ignore all the changes they made.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Tekopo posted:

1856 is also pretty good but hard to find, but has a lot of fiddly rules.

I want to play 1881, instead of making a map of Ontarios rail system using a variety of different hex tiles, you make the Canadian transcontinental by just drawing a straight line across a map of Canada. The person who has embezzled the most money by the end of the game is the winner :canada:

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
As a wargamer who is irrationally drawn to small-print-run games from obscure companies, I... really want to try an 18xx.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
The rules problem is actually caused by the faster-playing basic game rules and teh variants. Just ignore those and play classic 1830 is the advice i'm getting/giving.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

The funny thing about 1856 is that the winning strategy is to have an unsustainable company, running it into the ground and then have it merge into the national railway before it goes bankrupt, and then use the money you made running it into the ground to fund an actually viable company.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Tekopo posted:

The funny thing about 1856 is that the winning strategy is to have an unsustainable company, running it into the ground and then have it merge into the national railway before it goes bankrupt, and then use the money you made running it into the ground to fund an actually viable company.

This sounds like an accurate representation of Canadian "capitalism".

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

Tekopo posted:

1846 is in a the tresham side of the family and it is firmly in the "run a company well" field rather than having many market shenanigans. It is still pretty cutthroat: you can absolutely gently caress over other people if you gently caress up their tracks/token them out. It has a fair bit variability as well.

If people aren't aware, Francis Tresham created 1829, the first 18xx, starting a tradition of horribly named games. He also created 1830 but got kind of annoyed at how people played it, so he created 1853 as almost a 'gently caress you' to people that wanted to play the market rather than run super sweet train companies.

Heh, somehow I forgot to say "and it might be a good game to play with him" in that post you quoted. I can probably flip it if I don't like it.

It's funny that Tresham wound up feeling that way. Here's a quote from an article about the development of 1830 in The General:

quote:

Francis and I also found we had a different idea of how the game should play. I was looking for more of the measured pace of 1829 where the game progressed through a slow evolution of stages. Francis wanted to intentionally do something different from 1829 (he did not consider his second version of 1829 as successful as the first), and he wanted to capture some of the wide open free-for- all entrepreneurship that embodied the building of American railroads.

I guess he got what he wanted and then some. The article is pretty interesting. It mentions some early problems, like the stock market being disproportionately rewarding compared to dividends and privates were allowed to be sold for up to 10 times (!) their face value. It's from Volume 23i6 available here if anyone wants to read it.

Durendal posted:

I definitely read on BGG that they were revising 1854. There were no specifics, however.

Also if anyone winds up liking 18xx games I would not recommend looking at the designers profiles on BGG. Mike Hutton rates Cosmic Encounter a 10. :cripes:

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I posted earlier, but didn't get an answer: how does Spyrium compare to other worker placement games? I've gotten a few games in at this point, and like it a lot, but it's my first WP game, so I don't have a frame of comparison.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_L18XX_games

Holy poo poo

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Yep.

Durendal
Jan 25, 2008

Who made you God to say

sector_corrector posted:

I posted earlier, but didn't get an answer: how does Spyrium compare to other worker placement games? I've gotten a few games in at this point, and like it a lot, but it's my first WP game, so I don't have a frame of comparison.

It's lighter and plays super quick compared to Caylus or Agricola. You also don't really have an upkeep to worry about in Spyrium. You do learn some important things like engine building, and how to value certain spots in all the different currencies you need to worry about.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Relax. They are bound to run out of century eventually.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

That's missing a bunch.

Durendal
Jan 25, 2008

Who made you God to say

Fat Samurai posted:

Relax. They are bound to run out of century eventually.

Good news! A lot of games are now using a location based naming convention e.g. 18EU or 18MEX :eng101:

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

Tekopo posted:

All the variants are bad and the quick game is also bad, yeah. I want to like th Mayfair version ( I own it) but Christ they hosed it up. It's still worth getting if you literally ignore all the changes they made.

So the "rules and components" from the classic design are not in fact the original ones? This is... confusing

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

Not even all of them.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Durendal posted:

Good news! A lot of games are now using a location based naming convention e.g. 18EU or 18MEX :eng101:
18xx is the dumbest genre in terms of naming conventions.

I think the classic rules are in the Mayfair version, I would need to check.

Durendal
Jan 25, 2008

Who made you God to say

FulsomFrank posted:

So the "rules and components" from the classic design are not in fact the original ones? This is... confusing

It has all the classic stuff, but also has a ton of extra junk. The rule book sucks in that it teaches you the "base game" then has a tiny section later detailing all the changes you need to make in order to play the superior "classic game".

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

Durendal posted:

It has all the classic stuff, but also has a ton of extra junk. The rule book sucks in that it teaches you the "base game" then has a tiny section later detailing all the changes you need to make in order to play the superior "classic game".

I just posted this, complete with a link to the original rules.

edit: that sounds kind of pissy, I just meant people can scroll up if they want the leaner rulebook.

cenotaph fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Feb 10, 2016

Durendal
Jan 25, 2008

Who made you God to say

cenotaph posted:

I just posted this, complete with a link to the original rules.

edit: that sounds kind of pissy, I just meant people can scroll up if they want the leaner rulebook.

Yup. You should reread Cenotaph's post, Fulsom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

disperse
Oct 28, 2010

Avalon Hill recieved a letter from a scientist with a PhD (who was also an Avalon Hill fan) complaining he couldn't understand the rules.

COOL CORN posted:

I'm trying to resist purchasing this! You're chipping away at my resolve. My Plano box is fine.... just fine.