Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
Thanks for the advice, guys/gals. I put in some orders and now (if I've done my counting right) my deck will be:

4 Stormchaser Mage
2 Jori En, Ruin Diver
4 Umara Entangler
4 Goblin Freerunner
4 Abbot of Keral Keep
4 Zurgo Bellstriker

4 Fiery Impulse
4 Titan Strength
4 Slip Through Space
4 Treasure Cruise

8 Island
12 Mountains
4 Wandering Fumarole

I went with Zurgo over Swiftspear, obviously, but otherwise agree with the suggestions after reading up on the cards. I have 4 Expedite I could sub in for Slip Through Space, but I really like the draw aspect of STS. If the deck's not fast enough, that'd be the obvious trade, I think.

e: pulled the two nukes to get down to 60

Soul Glo fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Feb 2, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully

Soul Glo posted:

I have 4 Expedite I could sub in for Slip Through Space, but I really like the draw aspect of STS.

I assume you meant "the unblockable aspect of STS" because Expedite also draws you a card.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

freerunner and entangler are not good cards

Frozen_flame
Feb 14, 2012

Press A to Protect Earth!

BizarroAzrael posted:

So yesterday I bought 2 Chandra, Flamecaller for £15. That's crazy right? That shouldn't be possible?

Managed to snag 4 on preorder for 20€, she is being underrated. You got a good deal.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

To be clear I think Slip Through Space is good, Expedite is just another (slightly worse) card that lets you do mostly the same thing.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

MiddleEastBeast posted:

I assume you meant "the unblockable aspect of STS" because Expedite also draws you a card.

Whoops, missed that, but yeah. I like the idea of playing a Titan's Strength on Stormchaser and a STS on a ground creature like the Entangler.

And with Zurgo I can dash him out and bounce him back for the same cost as casting him with an Expedite.

I'll play with it and see; I'm new and well aware y'all are more knowledgeable.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

The thing about Swiftspear is that it's pretty likely you'll be able to cast several spells with it in the same turn - you have a bunch of 1 mana spells. It's a very good way to get a bunch of damage out of nowhere, and it's also just a great card to play on turn 1.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Irony Be My Shield posted:

The thing about Swiftspear is that it's pretty likely you'll be able to cast several spells with it in the same turn - you have a bunch of 1 mana spells. It's a very good way to get a bunch of damage out of nowhere, and it's also just a great card to play on turn 1.

That's a fair point. So switch out the Goblin Freerunners for Monastery Swiftspear and just watch Innistrad or whatever it ends up being for a close replacement.

I like those Entanglers though. 2/1 with Prowess for 2 seems pretty good?

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug
I have been fixed spidering switching from B/u aristocrats to r/u prowess in standard. Please tell me why this is a good/bad idea.

I just refuse to play 4 color decks of siege rhinos.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Mezzanon posted:

I just refuse to play 4 color decks of siege rhinos.
Play 4 color decks of butcher of the horde instead. :getin:

Uhhlive
Jun 18, 2004

I'm not the public.
I'm the President

Soul Glo posted:

That's a fair point. So switch out the Goblin Freerunners for Monastery Swiftspear and just watch Innistrad or whatever it ends up being for a close replacement.

I like those Entanglers though. 2/1 with Prowess for 2 seems pretty good?

The good thing about Swiftspears and Stormchaser Mages is that they can trade up with little help, since their toughness is easily bolstered and they can live through Kozilek's Return with minimal investment. They also have haste. Entanglers eat it to Scion tokens and require you to spend more resources to keep them alive. At least the Abbot gives you something.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Ask Me For Warez posted:

The good thing about Swiftspears and Stormchaser Mages is that they can trade up with little help, since their toughness is easily bolstered and they can live through Kozilek's Return with minimal investment. They also have haste. Entanglers eat it to Scion tokens and require you to spend more resources to keep them alive. At least the Abbot gives you something.

After I got home, I found some Elusive Spellfists (well, three). Once my cards come in the mail, I'm looking at

4 Stormchaser Mage
2 Jori En, Ruin Diver
3 Elusive Spellfist
4 Monastery Swiftspears
4 Abbot of Keral Keep
4 Zurgo Bellstriker

4 Fiery Impulse
4 Slip Through Space
4 Titan Strength
3 Brute Strength
2 Treasure Cruise

8 Island
12 Mountains
2 Wandering Fumarole

With a sideboard of Negates, Dispels, Expedites, Clutch of Currents. Looking forward to playing this. Thanks for the direction, this deck will do what I wanted that slower one I came in here with to do (win quickly).

e: "Elusive Spellfist" is a wonderful name.

Soul Glo fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Feb 3, 2016

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon

Soul Glo posted:

After I got home, I found some Elusive Spellfists (well, three). Once my cards come in the mail, I'm looking at

4 Stormchaser Mage
2 Jori En, Ruin Diver
3 Elusive Spellfist
4 Monastery Swiftspears
4 Abbot of Keral Keep
4 Zurgo Bellstriker

4 Fiery Impulse
4 Slip Through Space
4 Titan Strength
3 Brute Strength
2 Treasure Cruise

8 Island
12 Mountains
2 Wandering Fumarole

With a sideboard of Negates, Dispels, Expedites, Clutch of Currents. Looking forward to playing this. Thanks for the direction, this deck will do what I wanted that slower one I came in here with to do (win quickly).

e: "Elusive Spellfist" is a wonderful name.

Your Sideboard needs to contain disdainful strokes, not clutch of currents. Also remove brute strength from the main

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I don't know how familiar you are with the rules but here's some gameplay stuff that may help:
- after Jori En hits the battlefield you can immediately cast another spell and get a draw trigger, regardless of whether it's an instant. Even if your opponent can kill Jori they can't prevent you from drawing a card
- if the creature you're casting Slip Through Space on dies you lose the draw a card part too, so watch out
- you can cast Slip Through Space on your opponent's creatures if you just want to see another card
- prowess goes on the stack after your spell and resolves first, so you can Fiery Impulse your 3 health Swiftspear and have it survive
- note though that your opponent can respond to your prowess trigger before it resolves
- don't play a land before playing Abbot if you don't have to, you will feel very stupid if you flip a land

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land
I'm trying this as a prowess build because I really wanted to jam Mantis Riders, and I have to say I've been pleasantly surprised with how much work Elusive Spellfist can do. Plus I get to say "prepare to get fisted!" every time he does big damage.

4 Monastery Swiftspear
4 Stormchaser Mage
4 Mantis Rider
3 Abbott of Keral Keep
2 Elusive Spellfist

4 Treasure Cruise
2 Magmatic Insight
4 Slip Through Space
1 Expedite
1 Monastery Siege

1 Roast
1 Wild Slash
3 Fiery Impulse
1 Jeskai Charm
3 Titan's Strength
1 Dispel

21 lands that include Wandering Fumarole

My land base is super budget so ymmv

The downside of decks like this is that there's unavoidably going to be a fail-rate. Sometimes you're going to just run straight out of gas and lose. On the other hand, this deck mitigates that a lot more than burst aggro decks tend to do, mostly because of the interaction between Magmatic Insight and Treasure Cruise. Seriously, you need those cards if you want this deck to work. The combinations of Slip/Expedite/Insight/Cruise make it feel like you're paying Modern, you just plow through the deck. Jace would make it even more absurd obviously, but gently caress spending $200+ on that.

I'm super tempted to try the Ruin Diver but I don't know what I'd cut. I don't like that it's another three drop, that feels like pushing it when I already have the Riders.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

I don't know how familiar you are with the rules but here's some gameplay stuff that may help:
- you can cast Slip Through Space on your opponent's creatures if you just want to see another card
- prowess goes on the stack after your spell and resolves first, so you can Fiery Impulse your 3 health Swiftspear and have it survive

:lol: Holy poo poo I didn't even think of these. I literally just learned about the stack last month, I got in in between BFZ and OGW and don't get to play as much as I'd like.

Also, yeah, I'm replacing Brute Strength with Expedite in the main for the draw a card since this deck is going to chew through my hand, and I need to always be casting.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land
I'm telling you man, try out Magmatic Insight too, it does everything you want it to do.

Edit: oh and by way of advice, I'd recommend going to the comprehensive rules and just reading the whole section about the stack of you haven't already. With a deck like this you're going to see the corner case interactions of the stack a lot more, and it's going to be important to know when you have priority and how you can stack triggers

sit on my Facebook fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Feb 3, 2016

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

I said "gently caress it" and jammed 4 Kytheon and 4 Legion Loyalist into Naya Burn, because I'm pretty sure a 4/4 indestructible creature is better than Wild Nacatl. I don't know what my sideboard should look like. In the metagame now, should I play Molten Rain or Boom to deal with Tron? Do I have enough to deal with Affinity?

Maindeck
4 Bloodstained Mire
3 Sacred Foundry
3 Snow-Covered Mountain
2 Stomping Ground
4 Windswept Heath (I'm poor)
4 Wooded Foothills
4 Kytheon, Hero of Akros
4 Goblin Guide
1 Grim Lavamancer
4 Legion Loyalist
4 Monastery Swiftspear
4 Eidolon of the Great Revel
4 Lightning Bolt
2 Lava Spike
3 Rift Bolt
4 Atarka's Command
4 Boros Charm
2 Searing Blaze

Sideboard
3 Path to Exile
3 Kor Firewalker
1 Searing Blaze
1 Ancient Grudge
3 Destructive Revelry
2 Deflecting Palm
2 Lightning Helix

edit: I've already noticed that I'm not happy with Lava Spike, because I'm often winning with my board of creatures and a burn spell that can't hit creatures is miserable. It's getting cut completely for another Rift Bolt and Searing Blaze.

Chamale fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Feb 3, 2016

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Went 4-0 with BWC Planeswalkers/Tokens last night, it's a fun deck!

Deck: Untitled Deck

//CREATURES
4 Seeker of the Way
4 Matter Reshaper
4 Secure the Wastes

//WALKERS
4 Gideon, Ally of Zendikar
2 Sorin, Solemn Visitor
2 Ob Nixilis Reignited

//REMOVAL
3 Silkwrap
3 Stasis Snare
1 Utter End
1 Ruinous Path

//OTHER SPELLS
4 Read the Bones
1 Duress
1 Oath of Gideon

//LANDS
4 Shambling Vent
4 Caves of Koilos
4 Scoured Barrens
2 Battlefield Forge
1 Llanowar Wastes
2 Foundry of the Consuls
2 Sea Gate Wreckage
5 Plains
2 Swamp

//Sideboard
3 Thought-Knot Seer
1 Duress
1 Transgress the Mind
4 Arashin Cleric
1 Utter End
1 Murderous Cut
1 Hallowed Moonlight
1 Kalitas, Traitor of Ghet
1 Planar Outburst
1 Spatial Contortion

Display deck statistics

Seekers and removal and Matter Reshapers help you get some tempo early, and the end game is an EOT Secure the wastes into Sorin or Gideon to suddenly put a ton of power on the battlefield.
Matter Reshaper can die into Silkwrap, Stasis Snare, Seeker or another Reshaper (or lands) and has really impressed me just being good value.
Thought-Knots from the sideboard were really good and I'm considering swapping Obs for them.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
From Caleb D's stream. You got your eldrazi in my rhinos! No, you got your rhinos in my eldrazi!

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully

Bugsy posted:

From Caleb D's stream. You got your eldrazi in my rhinos! No, you got your rhinos in my eldrazi!

lol, dammit

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Bugsy posted:

Is anyone surprised

Wurzag
Jun 3, 2007

Bad Moons, Bad Moons, wot ya gonna do?

There's no escaping from loving abzan

YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

WE WELCOME THE OPPRESSORS
Welp, morale hasn't improved :(

I decided to try to translate U/R Eldrazi to standard. And it's not great, but simple to play:

Deck: Pseudo-Temur eldrazi??

//Lands
3 Forest
4 Island
4 Lumbering Falls
2 Mountain
4 Shivan Reef
4 Spawning Bed
3 Yavimaya Coast

//Spells
3 Dig Through Time
4 Titan's Presence

//Creatures
4 Eldrazi Mimic
4 Eldrazi Skyspawner
3 Herald of Kozilek
3 Rattleclaw Mystic
4 Reality Smasher
4 Ruination Guide
4 Thought-Knot Seer
3 Vile Aggregate

Display deck statistics

I was basically spitballing things with this. I'm sure it can be improved vastly, but don't say "add jace". I'm not spending that kind of money.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Ghostfire Blade is a great card in any deck full of colorless creatures. Hangarback is also a nice on-theme card.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
I threw a one-of Zada into my UR Prowess deck mostly as a joke, but when it works it's hilariously effective and you will probably win the game if you untap with her and aren't entirely out of resources. Slip Through Space is a hell of a card to have copied onto your entire team, especially when there might be a Titan's Strength in that pile of cards you're drawing.

In general, toughness is often more desirable than power on Prowess creatures. Swiftspear is insanely good, for instance, because a single trigger pushes her up to three toughness - enough that she won't trade with other one mana creatures, and just having two toughness by itself means you can send her in for probing attacks without her dying to 1/X defenders. It's very difficult to cleanly get rid of a Swiftspear in the early game. More specifically to something like the UR Prowess deck, you won't actually be running that many creatures, but you do need them to be alive to enable the pump spells and prowess triggers that do most of your damage. Therefore, it's important that the creatures you do run are difficult to remove, and having extra toughness does a lot for keeping them alive.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
So I went to my first ever FNM last Friday, and everyone had crazy expensive / good modern decks. It feels like to even be close to their level, I'd have to drop 100+ dollars on my own modern deck. Is that universal?

Also, everyone everywhere plays aggro. What's a hard counter for that?

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
Modern is not really the format for low barriers to entry, though you can make a burn deck for fairly cheap. Even the cheapest playable Modern decks are probably going to brush up near $100, though.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Voyager I posted:

Modern is not really the format for low barriers to entry, though you can make a burn deck for fairly cheap. Even the cheapest playable Modern decks are probably going to brush up near $100, though.

I know, everyone says it's cheaper, but it just can't be.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
If you want to get into Modern for ~$100, there's a decent monogreen Stompy list you can build for about that much. Or at the very least, I've put up decent results with this list. If you drop the singleton CoCo and Thrun that should put you below $100, or if your meta calls for a less-expensive SB than my list. Plus some cards that would have been bling for the deck have become way cheaper since I built it, such as Wilt-Leaf Liege (>$20 when I wanted it, now <$5).

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

a decent burn list is actually average to above average in price

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Elyv posted:

a decent burn list is actually average to above average in price

That's a good burn list splashing white and green.

A decent burn list looks like this and costs $70.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I mean that deck executes its gameplan well enough, but losing to Leyline of Sanctity on turn 0 in a high proportion of your games can't feel good.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

I mean that deck executes its gameplan well enough, but losing to Leyline of Sanctity on turn 0 in a high proportion of your games can't feel good.

It's definitely a liability, but it comes down to personal taste and the environment at your local store as to whether it's one that comes up very often or is worth spending money to fix.

You could probably splash white into Boros Burn for some answers without going too far over budget as long as you don't mind running budget duals.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Voyager I posted:

That's a good burn list splashing white and green.

A decent burn list looks like this and costs $70.

I was gonna ask if Monastery Swiftspear would break the bank, but holy moly it's $3.50 TCG Mid. I know it sees play in every format but a crapload of Khans was opened so I'm surprised it's still up there.

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Feb 9, 2016

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

C-Euro posted:

I was gonna ask if Monastery Swiftspear would break the bank, but holy moly it's $3.50 TCG Mid. I know it sees play in every format but a crapload of Khans was opened so I'm surprised it's still up there.

Just be glad it was printed at uncommon or we'd have another Goblin Guide situation.

YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

WE WELCOME THE OPPRESSORS

Ghostfire Blade is a great card in any deck full of colorless creatures. Hangarback is also a nice on-theme card.

My habgarbacks are slotted into my Jund "dragons" deck (which I need to post the list for, it's been quite good for me)

Here's my thoughts on this Eldrazi list though:
Spawning Beds become Sea Gate Wreckages
Dig Through Time become Ghostfire Blade
Not totally sold on Titan's Presence but I wanted to try it out.

I'm not saying this deck is going to be good, but if it ends up tier 2 I've done something right.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

C-Euro posted:

I kept every Swiftspear I opened during Khans and even traded for a few when they were cheaper. The thing's an eternal staple and 4-of in the decks where it's played, it's gonna be one of those weirdly expensive non-rares like Inquisition of Kozilek if it doesn't get a reprint in a duel deck or something.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
Yea. Ever since the pre-release, I never passed one in draft. I was hyping it as the greatest red one drop of all time from the moment it was previewed. I might be wrong, but swiftspear is my kind of card.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

playground tough
Oct 29, 2007
Swiftspear owns bones.

I was playing ur prowess sans jace at gameday and it was pretty disappointing. However I had a lot of fun playing it so.... Temur prowess aggro?

Deck: temur prowess

//Lands
4 Bloodstained Mire
1 Cinder Glade
2 Island
3 Mountain
2 Polluted Delta
3 Shivan Reef
1 Smoldering Marsh
1 Sunken Hollow
4 Wooded Foothills
1 Yavimaya Coast