Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Seat Safety Switch posted:

I hate watching movies that were filmed near where I live because it's always like OH poo poo WHAT LEO IS GETTING MAULED BY A BEAR NEAR THE 7-11?

Spring Breakers was filmed on my beach, I remember one of the producers coming to our bar asking for empty beer cans to film a party scene. Was kinda fun to watch it and figure out exactly where they were shooting, but the main thing I got from it was James Franco lines like "Y'all like Beyonce?" "LOOK AT MY poo poo" and "THIS IS HOW WE DO IN ST.PETE'S!!"

It's St.Pete not St.Pete's dumbass :rolleyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
I still never watched the second captain America movie because I used to work near where they filmed it. It made my commute much worse and the few times I had to deal with the film crew they were dicks.

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.

mariooncrack posted:

I still never watched the second captain America movie because I used to work near where they filmed it. It made my commute much worse and the few times I had to deal with the film crew they were dicks.

It was fantastic. You should reconsider.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
A lovely car thief crashed into and totaled a former e30 that I owned and sold to GabeN in 2014. Dunno if he was still the current owner.

http://komonews.com/news/local/finally-a-seattle-crime-story-that-involves-magic-mud-a-fire-alarm-and-missing-pants

https://www.iaai.com/Vehicles/VehicleDetails.aspx?itemID=21337652&RowNumber=11&loadRecent=True

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

That sucks, but at least nobody was in the e30 at the time.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Cholula chipotle is a drat fine hot sauce for a bowl of afternoon scrambled eggs.

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

The perfect day needs the perfect set of wheels.

Enourmo posted:

Cholula chipotle is a drat fine hot sauce for a bowl of afternoon scrambled eggs.

:agreed:

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

bolind posted:

Thanks a million you guys! I keep being surprised of how much poo poo the AI collective knows. If anyone have questions about embedded Bluetooth development, let me know... :)

An addition I have to make to this: Apparently, the Mini-SFP version of the Edgerouter-X has passive POE on all ports. I'm not sure if you can use one of the RJ45 ports as WAN/upstream, or if you are forced to use a Mini-SFP module. I haven't used an Edgerouter before, so I don't know how flexible its software is.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

Sandbagger SA posted:

It was fantastic. You should reconsider.

I probably will before civil war comes out.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Emushka posted:

Just had 5 days of fun with a 2015 Range Rover Sport.

man oh man it is an awesome ride.

the supercharged engines make it loving move for a 5000 lb fat pig.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

some texas redneck posted:

Welp, tried to polish the headlights on mom's car.

Thought they looked good until I hit them with compound. Turns out I didn't buff them enough... and had already thrown the buffing disc in the trash (and you do not want to reach into our outside trash can). :sigh: Looks like I'm going to get another polishing kit and try to fix my fuckup.

At least they actually light up the road now! (they just look terrible)

I did one headlight on my wife's Kia (it looked sad already, then the new one replaced due to accident made it look doubly crap), and both on my Crown Vic using the Meguire's kit with "Powerball".
All of them were bad enough that I had to use the "severe damage" kit included inside, which is sanding pads of 800, 1000, 1500, and 2000 grit. On the CV, I used actual sandpaper,since I prety much wore out the little pads in the kit by the second light.
The CV lights didn't look awful, but there was a little hazing and noticeable specks all over. I kind of wish I'd have left them alone, because the damned OEM coating won't polish, so you have to sand it all off, but it's tough enough that I had to step back to 600 grit to get it off. On the last one, I just started with 360, then 600, the the higher grades, because it was being a bastard. I did need to sand off all the coating on the Kia, but it didn't give me near as much trouble, despite being newer.

Kia:

CV:

(tape is just to prevent the camera from using the reflected light for light metering.)

...and now I notice in the first picture that I need to do the fog lights on the Kia, too.

edit: probably going to replace the CV head and side lights with a set that are black everywhere but the actual reflectors. Like the Kia's basically:

Darchangel fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Feb 10, 2016

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

The lights on her car cleared up just fine, but it has visible swirls in the lenses now. :smith:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
There are few things more satisfying than watching someone have a meltdown when they find out that paying $865 for new brake pads and rotors was in fact not a good deal.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Rhyno posted:

There are few things more satisfying than watching someone have a meltdown when they find out that paying $865 for new brake pads and rotors was in fact not a good deal.

On that note -- if you're looking for rotors, buy them from Canada. I just got a set of front and rears, coated, for the Envoy for $124 delivered. The shipping weight was almost 100 pounds.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

meatpimp posted:

On that note -- if you're looking for rotors, buy them from Canada. I just got a set of front and rears, coated, for the Envoy for $124 delivered. The shipping weight was almost 100 pounds.

Where are you buying rotors from in Canada? It's hard to find them here for even the same price as RockAuto, even with shipping.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Rhyno posted:

What the gently caress? :stare: I have a really nice bridge if your friend is looking to buy one.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Rhyno posted:

I always hate it when people pay through the nose for car work without asking you, then come to you afterwards to bitch about it.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Is the word cucked / cuck being autocorrected by the forums or just GBS

Edit: that answers that lmao

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Tusen Takk posted:

That'll make the freep thread fun to read.

corn in the fridge
Jan 15, 2012

by Shine
im gay

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

best forum update since i joined :allears:

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Where are you buying rotors from in Canada? It's hard to find them here for even the same price as RockAuto, even with shipping.

I ebay'd this set, but I saw similar pricing on Amazon (looks like the price has gone up a couple bucks... I wonder if ebay has glexible pricing based on currency rates?)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/221989488247

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

Rhyno posted:

I have a friend who is the service writer at an independent Volvo shop. I hang out with him sometimes when I'm unemployed, like right now. He quotes prices like that all the time, and I just sit in awe when people bust out the credit card and pay it without question. Keeping quiet takes a lot of restraint on my part.

The real irony is that they consistently beat the dealer by like 25%.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Tusen Takk posted:

What the gently caress did you...... ooooooooooooooh quoting shows the original phrase.

Noice

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Seat Safety Switch:
I now require a nixie tube boost gauge and a Dekatron AFR gauge. I didn't even know what a Dekatron was until today.
That is all.

edit: source
http://seat-safety-switch.tumblr.com/post/138863043318/the-lawyer-flexed-his-spindly-fingers-his

edit again:
...and a twin LS4/Prius hybrid engined... uh, hybrid.

Darchangel fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Feb 10, 2016

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

LloydDobler posted:

I have a friend who is the service writer at an independent Volvo shop. I hang out with him sometimes when I'm unemployed, like right now. He quotes prices like that all the time, and I just sit in awe when people bust out the credit card and pay it without question. Keeping quiet takes a lot of restraint on my part.

The real irony is that they consistently beat the dealer by like 25%.

Most people don't want to get their hands dirty/have the tools to do so. Also this is usually the point at the time in the cars life where it needs brakes/tires/basic maintenance items and the owners decry "This car is such a piece of poo poo, I am getting rid of it!"

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

Raluek posted:

An addition I have to make to this: Apparently, the Mini-SFP version of the Edgerouter-X has passive POE on all ports. I'm not sure if you can use one of the RJ45 ports as WAN/upstream, or if you are forced to use a Mini-SFP module. I haven't used an Edgerouter before, so I don't know how flexible its software is.

Raluek posted:

I thought about going with the Edgerouter, but ended up with a Mikrotik instead. Half the price and the same capability, will do real routing protocols, BGP, MPLS, all that. I do use the Ubiquiti POE adapter though.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

What the gently caress? :stare: I have a really nice bridge if your friend is looking to buy one.

His story is "My brakes went out. Turned out I needed new rotors, pads, a brake line, wheel cylinders and tie rod ends."

It's a local garage known for being shady, I'm sure they could have kept adding poo poo to the bill and he would've been like "OKAY YES MORE PLEASE."

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Rhyno posted:

His story is "My brakes went out. Turned out I needed new rotors, pads, a brake line, wheel cylinders and tie rod ends."

It's a local garage known for being shady, I'm sure they could have kept adding poo poo to the bill and he would've been like "OKAY YES MORE PLEASE."

And how many of those parts did they actually replace?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Depending on the car that might not really be a crazy quote, assuming the car actually needed all those things done.

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.
The problem with the Ubiquiti right now is that it seems like it's either out of stock or being sold at $gouge pricing.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

That is a fairly common issue. It seems like Ubiquiti tries to market to service providers more than the mass market, and a lot of those guys want to make $Texas if they aren't going to be able to bundle the Ubiquiti hardware in with whatever wireless service they're selling you.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Magnus Praeda posted:

The problem with the Ubiquiti right now is that it seems like it's either out of stock or being sold at $gouge pricing.

I just bought a UAP-AC-Lite from Streakwave, and they fulfilled the order the next day. I understand that this is uncommon though; talking to them, they just sporadically get shipments from Ubiquiti and send them off to buyers as they receive them. I got lucky with my timing, or I might have been waiting weeks to maybe a month or two.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

meatpimp posted:

And how many of those parts did they actually replace?

I'd wager half to none. Now he's getting lovely and defensive claiming be "did his homework" before he paid them.

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

German officer Johannes Bolter peeks out the hatch of his Tiger I heavy tank during a quiet moment before the Battle of Kursk - c:1943 (colorized)
Slippery Tilde
So here's a photo from where I'm staying right until tomorrow (click for full res);

DJI make one hell of a drone. Out over water to take this pic, it didn't even flinch.

I have a bunch of video too but not enough internet capacity to upload it from here. Here's a gif, though: http://gfycat.com/UnfitBelovedIcefish

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

literally a fish posted:

So here's a photo from where I'm staying right until tomorrow (click for full res);

DJI make one hell of a drone. Out over water to take this pic, it didn't even flinch.

I have a bunch of video too but not enough internet capacity to upload it from here. Here's a gif, though: http://gfycat.com/UnfitBelovedIcefish

Ahhhh the evening of a misspent youth screaming past in various shitboxes, the days of a adulthood on a bike with screaming legs.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

So on one hand, destroying a walk in cooler and freezer combo with a combo of sledgehammers and sawzalls is really, really fun.
On the other hand, carrying 30 panels filled with solid ice to a dumpster is not so much fun. And now my arms feel like spagetti.

In conclusion, demolition day is day of many mixed emotions.

In other news, why is that when I don't have the money for it, I can find the truck I'm looking for all over craigslist for cheap, but now that I have the money to spare on it, it's nowhere to be found.
Such is the life of loving vintage trucks I suppose.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

Got an interview tomorrow as a lamination operator. Whatever that means...

Cellular Suicide
Dec 9, 2005

Classical 33's at 45RPM

Super Aggro Crag posted:

Got an interview tomorrow as a lamination operator. Whatever that means...

That comment means you're not getting the job! Congratulations!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

It's through a staffing agency and I ticked all the boxes the company is looking for and they will train.

• Locked thread