Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:

echinopsis posted:

why screen isnt fundamentallly used from the beginning of any terminal idk. even me, a total cucktard, does that*

*when i used linux last decade

some distros are shipping with terminals that do this for you in a way.

http://byobu.co/

quote:

byobu is a GPLv3 open source text-based window manager and terminal multiplexer. It was originally designed to provide elegant enhancements to the otherwise functional, plain, practical GNU Screen, for the Ubuntu server distribution. Byobu now includes an enhanced profiles, convenient keybindings, configuration utilities, and toggle-able system status notifications for both the GNU Screen window manager and the more modern Tmux terminal multiplexer, and works on most Linux, BSD, and Mac distributions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lifetime supply of Pocky
Aug 19, 2003

obstipator posted:

is it possible to screen a terminal after u start a command? i really have to pee but cant lock my computer or this long running command might break

in a pinch try
disown -ah

which may or may not break everything, but should keep all running jobs from listening to a hangup signal when your session breaks

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

shaggaring-free zone please.

I have a Mac that won't boot - white screen "of death" on a mac pro (about 3 years old)

Things I tried

- Recovery mode: can boot to recovery mode and run disk utility. Ran check disk, came back with no errors
- safe boot: apple logo then white screen
- regular boot: apple logo then white screen
- reseat HDD: apple logo then white screen
- plug HDD into another bay: apple logo then white screen
- reseat RAM: apple logo then white screen
- reset PRAM: apple logo then white screen

does this mean the hard drive is fubar

edit: did you know that if you clear /var/folders then your computer won't boot? last time I listen to snack overflow. good job me for just renaming it and not deleting it

Dans Macabre fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Feb 10, 2016

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
what's the best windows utility for looking at nearby wifi networks? i remember netstumbler years ago but i guess that hasn't been updated in forever. is vistumbler any good?

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer

NevergirlsOFFICIAL posted:

I have a Mac that won't boot - white screen "of death" on a mac pro (about 3 years old)

Things I tried

- Recovery mode: can boot to recovery mode and run disk utility. Ran check disk, came back with no errors

edit: did you know that if you clear /var/folders then your computer won't boot? last time I listen to snack overflow. good job me for just renaming it and not deleting it

try to boot a Linux from a usb to see if maybe your motherboard is hosed instead

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

lol

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

what's the best windows utility for looking at nearby wifi networks? i remember netstumbler years ago but i guess that hasn't been updated in forever. is vistumbler any good?

I grab an old copy of inssider off filehipo or whatever

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
is that like saying delete system32 to make your computer faster because lmao

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

anthonypants posted:

is that like saying delete system32 to make your computer faster because lmao

More like saying delete c:\windows\temp and not just the contents but the whole folder

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

spankmeister posted:

More like saying delete c:\windows\temp and not just the contents but the whole folder
that probably won't trash your windows install, and if that's the case why doesn't os x have or use /tmp

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Things I tried

that's pretty typical of dead hdd on macs but since its a mac they give you no indication of whats wrong because you're supposed to throw it away and buy a new one. throwing it away is a good idea but then buy a real computer that runs windows instead.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Things I tried

Sounds like the system boot has gone, and you need to "bless" the hard drive again.

https://bombich.com/kb/ccc4/what-makes-volume-bootable

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
i figured out that the problem i had with flashing an upgraded bios on this thinkpad x61 tablet was because it actually has a thinkpad x60 tablet motherboard installed.

just want to mention that this is apparently a thing

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

spankmeister posted:

i once several times ran into computers with messed up windows installs that would put hundreds of gigabytes of log files into temp and other folders until c: was completely full

fishmech posted:

i figured out that the problem i had with flashing an upgraded bios on this thinkpad x61 tablet was because it actually has a thinkpad x60 tablet motherboard installed.

just want to mention that this is apparently a thing

yeah parts for thinkpads in the same model series are basically interchangeable, and despite lenovo happening it's still that way (*10-*30, *40-*50)

given that it's a x61 in tyool 2016 it's also possible someone put in the wrong motherboard during repair

obstipator
Nov 8, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
how do i make the dock in mac order my chrome windows in chronological order of most recently viewed rather than abc order on title so that i can find what im looking for without having to guess window by window. i want the right click on chrome on the dock to order in a manner that is useful to me. is such a thing possible on best operating system in the world: apple???

alternativley: making macs windows and desktop and bottom toolbar function as windows does it would be good

i want to have a operating system that was built with the user in mind. i do not want an application to have all its windows grouped together. i want a alt tab that makes sense. i want a Good OS instead of a Piece Of poo poo OS. i want,,,,: WINDOWS

obstipator fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Feb 11, 2016

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

fapple

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
i would like to set up a thing like authpf, except one doesn't run as a shell. i'm pretty sure someone else has to have done this before but i'm not sure what to look for. if i have to do this myself, it's simple enough to get a user to write their incoming ip to a file somewhere that gets read by pf, but if i want to forget that ip 8 hours after they've logged in, how would i make that happen?

e: actually i should just daemonize it and make it do pfctl, shouldn't i

anthonypants fucked around with this message at 13:22 on Feb 12, 2016

obstipator
Nov 8, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
is it possible to \G in phpmyadmin? i want a vertical view while comparing stuff just for a few momentos

guy firewalled everything except his pma so i cant command line it

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

obstipator posted:

is it possible to \G in phpmyadmin? i want a vertical view while comparing stuff just for a few momentos

guy firewalled everything except his pma so i cant command line it

use adminer for all your gross php/mysql needs in future
i think your best bet is two edit tabs open side by side

obstipator
Nov 8, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
i have to connect to a stupid as h&ck oracle db. how do i give a input as a timestamp and have it converted to a date so i can compare against a date column. all the stackoverflows are complete poo poo that i refuse to do

i want this to work:
WHERE thing >= my_timestamp_that_i_am_dumping

any nonshit garbage dumpster trash funcs etc around the timestamp are allowed

if i dump a string, it doesnt work bc its not a date type. my use of the to_date() func failed bc i know timezones will gently caress up and the documentation says TZH gives the timezone hour, but it loving doesnt. oracle is complete poo poo from my buttwhole

e: gently caress it, im just gonna throw away the timezone even tho im p sure theyre in a random part of the world and make a comment saying oracle sucks dilz

obstipator fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Feb 16, 2016

Samuel L. ACKSYN
Feb 29, 2008

hey everyone

im trying to use a dot matrix printer cause im a dumb nerd lol

its a panasonic KX-P1091, it has a "epson standard" emulation mode (active).

I'm on el capitan here. i'm using some ebay parallel to usb thingy jobber to connect it. i'm using foomatic and ghostscript to do this because thats what some fool online somewhere said to use

anyway i got it set up and it prints out a test page fine

the printer also prints its all characters self-test thing fine

but if i try to print text or anything it doenst go well

thats pretty much the best i got out of it, usually it was way more hosed up

lol. soo uh this is just some problem with the program im using to print from (textedit and textwrangler) and some font settings or some poo poo isnt it

Samuel L. ACKSYN
Feb 29, 2008

ignore that "if you can read this its the wrong driver" thing, i changed the driver between that and the test page

Samuel L. ACKSYN
Feb 29, 2008

i had to install the windows 3.1 drivers in a VM and see what DPI options it offered so i could set it correctly, lol

it still prints weirdly but i think its just a line spacing issue or some poo poo

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

lolpos

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Samuel L. ACKSYN posted:

i had to install the windows 3.1 drivers in a VM and see what DPI options it offered so i could set it correctly, lol

it still prints weirdly but i think its just a line spacing issue or some poo poo

pretty sure you can get the DPI for a dot matrix printer with a ruler and counting

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010
i got a bluescreen on startup on my laptop, it says stop 0x00000116, because of a problem with atikmpag.sys which apparently is my ati driver. When I disable the driver in safe mode i can start windows normally again. Tried reinstalling the driver from device manager, tried removing the driver with display driver uninstaller and downloading driver from sony's site, which was recommended on some help forum, but i still get the same bsod when the driver is enabled.

what to do next yospos

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Syncopated posted:

i got a bluescreen on startup on my laptop, it says stop 0x00000116, because of a problem with atikmpag.sys which apparently is my ati driver. When I disable the driver in safe mode i can start windows normally again. Tried reinstalling the driver from device manager, tried removing the driver with display driver uninstaller and downloading driver from sony's site, which was recommended on some help forum, but i still get the same bsod when the driver is enabled.

what to do next yospos

just reinstall wandows

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

dot maaaaatriiiiiiixx eeeeeenoooonaaaaanaaaaahhhh

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

Syncopated posted:

what to do next yospos

Syncopated posted:

ati driver.

i have found the root cause of your problems

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Syncopated posted:

what to do next yospos
step 0: don't buy amd

you could try running a chkdsk and sfc just in case but some of the help posts I've seen talk about running expand on one of the .sy_ files to replace the one in system32\drivers, have you done that

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

just reinstall it jfc why bother

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Captain Foo posted:

dot maaaaatriiiiiiixx eeeeeenoooonaaaaanaaaaahhhh

I do kinda miss the computer labs full of screeching dot matrix printers.

I don't miss the paper misfeeds and paper alignment issues

Samuel L. ACKSYN
Feb 29, 2008

You Am I posted:

I do kinda miss the computer labs full of screeching dot matrix printers.

I don't miss the paper misfeeds and paper alignment issues

this printer is heavy as hell and very loud and its very muscular and raw and good

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

Samuel L. ACKSYN posted:

this printer is heavy as hell and very loud and its very muscular and raw and good

well now you can print carbonless triplicates

lol tyool 2016 carbonless instead of just printing 3 copies

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

lol @ printing documents in 2016

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

bobbilljim posted:

lol @ printing documents in 2016

f'real

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
sweet so macbook air running el crapitan, books to dekstop, and then restatrs. over and over

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
i ran it into recovery mode, and clean restarted

id rather not reinstall osx but it looks like thats what I need to do. god hope that everything that is saved on icloud actually is

try a few other things first

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
quick question - is there a way to start up a use or profile, with nothing loaded? like osx always opens up as if all the last used apps are there n poo poo.. any way to make it start with NOTHING running? i mean it gets to the desktop for a moment, and then crashes. almost as if something it is trying to load fucks it up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

echinopsis posted:

i ran it into recovery mode, and clean restarted

id rather not reinstall

hmmm too bad, that's what you usually have to do as a windows user

oh. lol