Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

Picture of the working side

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Ya you tore the receptacle.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers
So I got my replacement earcups from sennheiser for my hd 280pros and the highs are so much clearer it's kind of insane (lack of sound bleeding out of my lovely falling apart earcups?)

Anyway I guess it turns out I'm a loving idiot and should've replaced them sooner instead of putting it off. Don't be like me, do it sooner. Thank you 4 reading my headphone part PSA.

Tactical Lesbian
Mar 31, 2012

cat doter posted:

So I got my replacement earcups from sennheiser for my hd 280pros and the highs are so much clearer it's kind of insane (lack of sound bleeding out of my lovely falling apart earcups?)

Anyway I guess it turns out I'm a loving idiot and should've replaced them sooner instead of putting it off. Don't be like me, do it sooner. Thank you 4 reading my headphone part PSA.

thx 4 postin' :justpost:

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe
Is earbud chat allowed here? Against my better judgement I picked up some Anker SoundBuds for use when I'm riding. The Ankers were cheap and I was in the market so I decided to try them out.

I say "against my better judgement" because my ears have always been incompatible with earbuds (no upward-facing ridge in front of my earhole for them to rest in), and IEMs usually hurt my ears from trying to seat them properly. Even the smallest silicon eartips don't sit deep enough in my ears to leave me feeling confident they won't pop out when I get moving.

That said, do you have any recommendations for alternative eartips I might be able to purchase separately? I really like the sound quality of these earbuds so I don't want to return them just yet. I won't feel bad dropping another $10-20 on more comfortable eartips, so long as they provide a good seal and will stay in my ears while I'm on a bike ride. I was looking at the Decibullz because they're moldable, but I'm also curious about any good-quality "squishable" earplug type of eartips, similar to the kind you'd wear in manufacturing/gun range/etc...

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I'm a big dumb idiot and threw out the spare rubber bits for my IEMs. Is there somewhere I could buy new ones, or should I just buy another pair?

E: Didn't notice someone had made the same post as me 20 minutes ago. I thought he was talking about earbud earbuds.

22 Eargesplitten fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Feb 8, 2016

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I'm sure if you search Amazon for "[Manufacturer] earbud tip" you'll find them.

Unity Gain
Sep 15, 2007

dancing blue

Karthe posted:

Is earbud chat allowed here? Against my better judgement I picked up some Anker SoundBuds for use when I'm riding. The Ankers were cheap and I was in the market so I decided to try them out.

I say "against my better judgement" because my ears have always been incompatible with earbuds (no upward-facing ridge in front of my earhole for them to rest in), and IEMs usually hurt my ears from trying to seat them properly. Even the smallest silicon eartips don't sit deep enough in my ears to leave me feeling confident they won't pop out when I get moving.

That said, do you have any recommendations for alternative eartips I might be able to purchase separately? I really like the sound quality of these earbuds so I don't want to return them just yet. I won't feel bad dropping another $10-20 on more comfortable eartips, so long as they provide a good seal and will stay in my ears while I'm on a bike ride. I was looking at the Decibullz because they're moldable, but I'm also curious about any good-quality "squishable" earplug type of eartips, similar to the kind you'd wear in manufacturing/gun range/etc...

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I'm a big dumb idiot and threw out the spare rubber bits for my IEMs. Is there somewhere I could buy new ones, or should I just buy another pair?

E: Didn't notice someone had made the same post as me 20 minutes ago. I thought he was talking about earbud earbuds.

I put Comply foam tips on all my IEMs. They DO change the sound signature a little (boom goes the bass! Aaaaaaaand there go the highs ) but I find them much more comfortable than any stock tip I've ever used, with the added bonus that they help the low end on bass-shy models.

http://www.complyfoam.com/

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
What's the current goon favourite for cheap IEMs? Mine have all died and I need a new pair fast! Under $50, balanced sound (if possible), Android headset and good isolation are important.

Also not HiFiMan as they always loving break.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Red_Fred posted:

What's the current goon favourite for cheap IEMs? Mine have all died and I need a new pair fast! Under $50, balanced sound (if possible), Android headset and good isolation are important.

http://www.amazon.com/Earphones-Granvela-Dual-Driver-Headphones-Smartphones/dp/B010FRQIMG/

These sound good and are well made but only a single button remote. Isolation is decent as well.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Hmm no reviews anywhere. I'll give them a shot though.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Red_Fred posted:

Hmm no reviews anywhere. I'll give them a shot though.

Head-Fi'ers love them, if that means anything (I have them, they are excellent)

Heavy Hands
Jan 1, 2006

Helmut
the
Mysterion

Red_Fred posted:

I'd recommend the Sony MDR-EX650APs. They're pretty old by now, so I'm sure you could find them for under 50 dollars somewhere (I'm from Estonia, don't really know any US tech stores other than Amazon).

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Is there such a thing as circumaurals that are good quality and durable enough for gym use, or am I relegated to buying and repeatedly replacing cheap ones? Supra-aurals and IEMs tend to irritate the hell out of my ears in different ways.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Tactical Lesbian posted:

Check out the Audio Technica ATH-IM50s? Alternatively: MEE audio M6 PRO

I sound like a broken record, but if you can stretch your budget and just get these drat Shure SE215s you will not be disappointed; they fit FLUSH and sound ~fabulous~ for a cool hundo. They also have better isolation than the Audio Technicas or the MEEs, which is cool & good for wind noise. The Etys would almost certainly touch the helmet, and in the most annoying way.

So I dont think I can swing the SE215s.
But my cat decided to deconstruct my current set so now I'm really in need. Some Amazon reviews of the MEE M6 Pros say they're not great for listening to music through, as they're more performance monitors for musicians? Usually that just means "not a stupid amount of bass," whuch is fine by me. Can anyone weigh in on that? These will be my main music listening IEMs, mainly on the bike, planes, the gym, that sort of thing.

Disharmony
Dec 29, 2000

Like a hundred crippled horses lying crumpled on the ground

Begging for a rifle to come and put them down
Is a FiiO X1 more than good enough to drive the HD 598 or will it sound better if I use an amp?

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Disharmony posted:

Is a FiiO X1 more than good enough to drive the HD 598 or will it sound better if I use an amp?

The X1 can handle headphones up to 100 Ohms so the 598s will be no problem.

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

So I dont think I can swing the SE215s.
But my cat decided to deconstruct my current set so now I'm really in need. Some Amazon reviews of the MEE M6 Pros say they're not great for listening to music through, as they're more performance monitors for musicians? Usually that just means "not a stupid amount of bass," whuch is fine by me. Can anyone weigh in on that? These will be my main music listening IEMs, mainly on the bike, planes, the gym, that sort of thing.

The M6 Pros are decent headphones but I think they're too treble-happy for a lot of people in their price range and they can be sibilant, or sharp-sounding. I only had a short demo time with them, but ultimately they weren't for me as I'm sensitive to sibilance. The sound quality is good otherwise and build quality is quite good for the price.

Another option in that $50 price range with a similar form factor would be the Vsonic VSD3S. A little more bassy but still very good.

grack fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Feb 10, 2016

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

grack posted:

The M6 Pros are decent headphones but I think they're too treble-happy for a lot of people in their price range and they can be sibilant, or sharp-sounding. I only had a short demo time with them, but ultimately they weren't for me as I'm sensitive to sibilance. The sound quality is good otherwise and build quality is quite good for the price.

Another option in that $50 price range with a similar form factor would be the Vsonic VSD3S. A little more bassy but still very good.

How flush are the VSD3Ss? The need to fit comfortably under a snug motorcycle helmet is my main criteria and how I got Tactical Lesbian's recommendations for the 215 and M6.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

How flush are the VSD3Ss? The need to fit comfortably under a snug motorcycle helmet is my main criteria and how I got Tactical Lesbian's recommendations for the 215 and M6.

They're very similar in size. GIS for "VSD3S in ear" and you should find a couple of pictures.

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe
I need some help, seeing if a product exists. I work in a loud enviroment and have a personal Motorola cb type radio with a mic clipped to my collar. This mic has a female 3.5mm audio port. I'd like to be able to wear one earpiece and pipe in a podcast using my 3.5mm on my phone, yet have my mic's audio override my phone when it gets used.

Basically I'd need some piece with two female inputs and one female output 3.5mm, where it gives one one of those inputs priority over the other when it is in use. Does something like that exist?

edit: to clarify the cb mic acts as a speaker/mic, so it outputs audio

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I gave up and bought the RHA T20i. They're ok.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
How are Bluetooth IEM headphones now? They seem great for use at the gym but looking at Wirecutter seem to be quite expensive and probably don't sound great?

Haeleus
Jun 30, 2009

He made one fatal slip when he tried to match the ranger with the big iron on his hip.
For anyone else who has replaced drivers on a Sennheiser HD 600/650 (I have the latter) is there any problem with just replacing one side? I recently damaged one of my 650 drivers and ordered a replacement after having my headphones 6 months so after some initial burn in do I have to worry about imbalance between the two? At the moment I think the new one is slightly louder but that could just be my head.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Not sure how great these are but Tanga has the Audio-Tecnica ATH-CKM500i for 29.99. I'm going to pick these up for the car since my S4s broke last week.

https://www.tanga.com/deals/2d982b3...aign=slickdeals

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS

MarcusSA posted:

Not sure how great these are but Tanga has the Audio-Tecnica ATH-CKM500i for 29.99. I'm going to pick these up for the car since my S4s broke last week.

https://www.tanga.com/deals/2d982b3...aign=slickdeals

I'll give them a punt. Will report back when they arrive.

ViciousV
Jun 1, 2004

I'm wondering if there a usb audio-interface someone can recommend that works well as an interface (for my electric guitar) but also as an amp/dac for headphones and is good for headphones like the sennheiser hd600s

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

The Focusrite Scarlett Solo is what you need.

It's USB, has mic and instrument inputs, and is a solid headphone amp, too.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Feb 12, 2016

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

KozmoNaut posted:

The Focusrite Scarlett Solo is what you need.

It's USB, has mic and instrument inputs, and is a solid headphone amp, too.

I'd recommend the 2i2 over the solo. I love mine, and having a separate headphone circuit / volume knob is nice.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I thought the Solo had the separate headphone amp/volume knob as well?

Either way, the 2i2 is a great piece of hardware.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

KozmoNaut posted:

I thought the Solo had the separate headphone amp/volume knob as well?

Either way, the 2i2 is a great piece of hardware.

Indeed it is. I'm very happy with mine.

Solo

2i2

Tactical Lesbian
Mar 31, 2012

:siren: Sennheiser HD518s :siren:

49.99USD @ Newegg http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826106514

Fresh Like Zafo
May 31, 2012

I just purchased a pair of Sennheiser Urbanite XL headphones and right out of the box, the left side isn't working, and when I used it to make a phone call, I could barely hear the person on the line. Should I just send it back to Amazon for a replacement in the hopes I get a working unit or send it to Sennheiser to fix it?

Unity Gain
Sep 15, 2007

dancing blue
A bit late to the party, but nth-ing the recommendation for the 2i2. It's a solid piece of gear.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Fresh Like Zafo posted:

I just purchased a pair of Sennheiser Urbanite XL headphones and right out of the box, the left side isn't working, and when I used it to make a phone call, I could barely hear the person on the line. Should I just send it back to Amazon for a replacement in the hopes I get a working unit or send it to Sennheiser to fix it?

Return. It's amazon's responsibility to ship you a working item. (Plus they'll probably cross-ship a new pair)

Tactical Lesbian
Mar 31, 2012

Fresh Like Zafo posted:

Definitely hit them up at their Chat line. Amazon has always been very VERY accommodating for me when issues come up. They'll be like "say no more fam" but won't actually gently caress you up.

They will probably send you a replacement at no charge with 1-day shipping or something. Ask them.

Cromlech
Jan 5, 2007

TOODLES
Coming from my ATH-A700s to my new HD 558's, I feel that the 558's are a little more muddled sounding through my source. That is, a Gigabyte motherboard from 2008 running a Realtek chipset. I read somewhere that more modern motherboard chipsets are suitable for headphones like these with regards to output, is it possible that my ATH-A700s played nicer with this motherboard?

Would I benefit from a entry-level DAC in this case? I know I don't need an amp, but I do feel that these are being held back a little bit soundwise. Perhaps I'm splitting hairs? I was under the impression that the ATH-A700s and these were very similar with regards to specs and whatnot.

Cromlech fucked around with this message at 10:39 on Feb 14, 2016

DAMN NIGGA
Aug 15, 2008

by Lowtax
The A700 is 64 ohms while the 558 is 50 Ohms. Neither is hard to drive or *requires* an amp. Anedoctally, I just got the 598's (which are pretty similar to the 558) and at first I used motherboard audio only and I had to turn up the volume all the way to get it comfortably loud and sounding to its full potential.

I bought a Xonar DXG and connected it via optical to a cheapish DAC/amp combo and got the sound to be perfect for my taste.

You could benefit from a sound card, or just go straight to a dac/amp solution in the $80-150 range.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

drat NIGGA posted:

The A700 is 64 ohms while the 558 is 50 Ohms. Neither is hard to drive or *requires* an amp. Anedoctally, I just got the 598's (which are pretty similar to the 558) and at first I used motherboard audio only and I had to turn up the volume all the way to get it comfortably loud and sounding to its full potential.

I bought a Xonar DXG and connected it via optical to a cheapish DAC/amp combo and got the sound to be perfect for my taste.

You could benefit from a sound card, or just go straight to a dac/amp solution in the $80-150 range.

You realize that this is redundant, yes?

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
Best Bluetooth headphones for the gym under $100?

I've got some $20 ones that have been doing the job. But, I'm spending so much time in the gym now that I'd like to have something with much better sound quality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Croc Monster posted:

A bit late to the party, but nth-ing the recommendation for the 2i2. It's a solid piece of gear.

:buddy: